Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 11:42 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 369 Posts

@Targa32 ’s ADM perspective is shared by many here regardless of age, myself included. As a first time GT3 car buyer a few years ago, I wasn’t going to be naiive enough to think I could just step into the game at msrp regardless of my previous 911 purchases. I don’t trade my other cars in at -25% of FMV. So that is a nonstarter. For me time is priceless, so intead of staring from the sidelines for years, waiting for a sticker price call that would never come, I’ve been profusely enjoying this machine as spec’d by me and previously untamed by anyone else. That, folks is worth the price of ADMission, at least to me. In the same token, I don’t expect to have to pay anything above msrp on the next round and I will probably make the exception (or not) and turn this one in as is part of being a good player. Since I already bought the watch, I don’t need to get into that again either. My only regret is not having gotten into this sooner on the 991.2 series as now I want a colorful 2019 Touring to pair with this one in the stable.

PS: I still have friends that claim they are ‘on the list’ let’s just say I’m not holding my breath for them.

Do and spend what makes you happy, if you can afford it.

My $0.02
The following 3 users liked this post by JAB12:
Diablo Dude (11-26-2023), Joe mac (11-26-2023), welikethetrack (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 01:17 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa32
I got a call from a salesman at a porsche dealer offering me a 911 GT3 2024 allocation. They wanted $40,000 over msrp and I had to buy a GT3 custom ordered watch with the vin number engraved - Just around $10,000. A watch is better than handing the dealer another $10,000. I had never formally asked for a GT3 allocation but the salesman has become a friend over the last three plus years and I had bought a new 992 Targa 4 and a New 2022 GTS Boxster from him. And the allocation locked the next day so I had literally around four hours to give him a build code. So I built a configuration in the Lowe’s parking lot and emailed it to him and the next morning I wired a $10,000 deposit and sure enough the build locked. He claimed it was a sudden allocation gift from Porsche but it could have been from a last minute cancellation. This dealer does not get a lot of demand for GT cars so I suspect they didn’t want to sell it from the showroom floor. This allocation was offered in Late June 2023. So from beginning to delivery of the car took only four months.

total MSRP was $199,800 - not including tax and registration. The prices on a 2024 has increased around 10%.

The car arrived at PECLA around a month ago now.

Did I pay too much? Time will tell- or at my age of 71abd undergoing quad bypass two years ago I might never find out what I could sell it for actually. So the ADM is likely to be rather mute.

I paid cash so I can sell it anytime downstream without any worry about having an equity value below my loan value.

If I sell the car at msrp someday and lose $40,000 - I really don’t. Won’t change my lifestyle any and my kids can inherit cars rather than cash.

I have heard some guys say a dealer sold them a GT3 on an allocation but not sure how truthful that is really.

In June of 2023 I believe the fair market value was just around $240,000.

the other two cars noted above were sold to me at MSRP and he told me any future non- special edition car I wanted they would sell at msrp. Luck me.

seems like 2024 GT allocations have been rather scarce.

Seems like the 2022 low mileage cars are selling on BAT in the mid-$220,000
range lately. Dealers are able to get more for this car from their showroom floor - more likely $250,000 to $260,000. BAT prices are discounted as the buyer does not get to see the car before buying and there exists some risk of wiring off a quarter of a million dollars to a stranger and hoping you get a clean title. Often the seller wants to pay off his loan and this can delay the transfer for a month or more. And don’t forget the buyer is paying thousands of additional dollars as a fee to BAT.

I tend to trade my cars into dealers for an allocation and I believe at least today I could trade in the car for around my $240,000 cost - and this would also save me paying another 10% sales tax on the new car which recovers my sales tax and registration costs. Maybe.

My friends take expensive cruise vacations that cost them $40,000 or more and that money is gone forever in several weeks time.

The GT3 is in my garage and I am enjoying just looking at it under a cover everyday and if I end up selling it to one of you guys at MSRP in a couple years - it will have been worth the cost to me. At 71 - waiting for the GT3 992 to be available at MSRP is costly as well and I would have had to buy a “used” car that could easily have been abused even if the mileage was low and that car would have unseen scars that might not know about for years.

What you have paid for the love of your life to have been a virgin on your wedding day?? To not have had some other guys sweaty hands gripping her - sweating on her on a track being asked to do another man’s bidding? $40,000 seems a cheap price for that peace of mind and she is two year’s younger and a virgin too.

At 71 - I likely would never have a chance to be a beauty like this one’s very first to listen to her scream at 9,000 rpm for the very first time…. A cheap price to pay for this one last time at my age.
Like I've said before the value of the car is what you value it as. Not what I, or anyone else here on Rennlist values. I see people die all the time in my profession. There is always something they wish they could have done more. When you're at that point in your life, no one knows but you what would have meant more... 40k or never getting to hear that 9k redline one last time. People on here like to clown people for paying ADM or whatever. I don't. Because in the end, what an individual values is way way more important than what we think. You pay what you thought made sense to you.. .and only you. This equation of value encompasses more than your bank account, residual value, etc... it encompasses where you are in life, how much nostalgia/emotion that purchase represents, and opportunity. Those things are individual considerations we here forget.

Have fun in good health.. so glad you posted today.
The following 6 users liked this post by neoprufrok:
Diablo Dude (11-26-2023), EMdoc (11-28-2023), IRunalot (11-26-2023), JAB12 (11-26-2023), mass27 (11-26-2023), Robb M. (11-27-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-26-2023, 01:31 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,405 Posts

Finally this thread has real value
Old 11-26-2023, 01:38 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 474 Likes on 279 Posts

Got some bad news, bro. If you didn't build her, you weren't the first. She probably hit 9000 coming off the boat.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:15 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,292 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Got some bad news, bro. If you didn't build her, you weren't the first. She probably hit 9000 coming off the boat.

I don't think that's possible while the car is in transport mode.

The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Diablo Dude (11-26-2023), Joe mac (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 02:26 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 474 Likes on 279 Posts

Good point, it's up to the lot boy at the dealer (the one who always returns your car with the radio tuned to the local rap station) to break 'er in right.

She'll always remember the lot boy.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Let’s be honest. The reason why this thread exists is that people care about price and value and depreciation - even many people who say they don’t care (hence reading and posting in this thread).
The following users liked this post:
Randy M (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 02:34 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
There's a governor that limits the car during transport. And yes, I've watched them come off the boat at the Port of Benicia.

Old 11-26-2023, 02:36 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by Manifold
Let’s be honest. The reason why this thread exists is that people care about price and value and depreciation - even many people who say they don’t care (hence reading and posting in this thread).
I disagree.
I would suggest that this thread exists because several posters just like to "hear" themselves talk.

I've come to use the thread as a contrary "indicator" for the hundreds of posts about the impending Recession. This thread is an exceptional "indicator" and one that fits the slogan that I've come to embrace after 40 years in the financial markets.

What is obvious.
Is obviously wrong.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 11-26-2023 at 02:44 PM.
RUF RS (11-28-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 02:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
I disagree.
I would suggest that this thread exists because several posters just like to "hear" themselves talk.

I've come to use the thread as a contrary "indicator" for the hundreds of posts about the impending Recession. This thread is an exceptional "indicator" and one that fits the slogan that I've come to embrace after 40 years in the financial markets.

What is obvious.
Is obviously wrong.
Fair enough. I also the use the thread as an indicator for some things.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:51 PM
Joe mac
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

I disagree.

What is obvious.
Is obviously wrong.

So funny, Diablo. Comic relief is exactly my reason for being here. I mentioned watching Hallmark and Bachelor with my wife - not for the learning for sure. Mostly for the crash course in humanity, which is the case with so many on RL. The melting pot of life...
Old 11-26-2023, 02:58 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
That's amazing that some GT3s have been listed for sale for a year and longer, talk about stubborn sellers. You'd think that dealers have higher floor line interest rates would want to cut bait and move on but maybe they just can't stomach taking a loss on flipping a GT3.
Or...
Maybe you've just been completely wrong about what a dealer's carrying cost is.

Old 11-26-2023, 03:23 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,405 Posts

This thread is the official chat room of this sub forum. Entertainment purposes only

Last edited by PTS; 11-26-2023 at 03:29 PM.
AlexCeres (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 03:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,969 Likes on 5,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa32
I got a call from a salesman at a porsche dealer offering me a 911 GT3 2024 allocation. They wanted $40,000 over msrp and I had to buy a GT3 custom ordered watch with the vin number engraved - Just around $10,000. A watch is better than handing the dealer another $10,000. I had never formally asked for a GT3 allocation but the salesman has become a friend over the last three plus years and I had bought a new 992 Targa 4 and a New 2022 GTS Boxster from him. And the allocation locked the next day so I had literally around four hours to give him a build code. So I built a configuration in the Lowe’s parking lot and emailed it to him and the next morning I wired a $10,000 deposit and sure enough the build locked. He claimed it was a sudden allocation gift from Porsche but it could have been from a last minute cancellation. This dealer does not get a lot of demand for GT cars so I suspect they didn’t want to sell it from the showroom floor. This allocation was offered in Late June 2023. So from beginning to delivery of the car took only four months.

total MSRP was $199,800 - not including tax and registration. The prices on a 2024 has increased around 10%.

The car arrived at PECLA around a month ago now.

Did I pay too much? Time will tell- or at my age of 71abd undergoing quad bypass two years ago I might never find out what I could sell it for actually. So the ADM is likely to be rather mute.

I paid cash so I can sell it anytime downstream without any worry about having an equity value below my loan value.

If I sell the car at msrp someday and lose $40,000 - I really don’t. Won’t change my lifestyle any and my kids can inherit cars rather than cash.

I have heard some guys say a dealer sold them a GT3 on an allocation but not sure how truthful that is really.

In June of 2023 I believe the fair market value was just around $240,000.

the other two cars noted above were sold to me at MSRP and he told me any future non- special edition car I wanted they would sell at msrp. Luck me.

seems like 2024 GT allocations have been rather scarce.

Seems like the 2022 low mileage cars are selling on BAT in the mid-$220,000
range lately. Dealers are able to get more for this car from their showroom floor - more likely $250,000 to $260,000. BAT prices are discounted as the buyer does not get to see the car before buying and there exists some risk of wiring off a quarter of a million dollars to a stranger and hoping you get a clean title. Often the seller wants to pay off his loan and this can delay the transfer for a month or more. And don’t forget the buyer is paying thousands of additional dollars as a fee to BAT.

I tend to trade my cars into dealers for an allocation and I believe at least today I could trade in the car for around my $240,000 cost - and this would also save me paying another 10% sales tax on the new car which recovers my sales tax and registration costs. Maybe.

My friends take expensive cruise vacations that cost them $40,000 or more and that money is gone forever in several weeks time.

The GT3 is in my garage and I am enjoying just looking at it under a cover everyday and if I end up selling it to one of you guys at MSRP in a couple years - it will have been worth the cost to me. At 71 - waiting for the GT3 992 to be available at MSRP is costly as well and I would have had to buy a “used” car that could easily have been abused even if the mileage was low and that car would have unseen scars that might not know about for years.

What you have paid for the love of your life to have been a virgin on your wedding day?? To not have had some other guys sweaty hands gripping her - sweating on her on a track being asked to do another man’s bidding? $40,000 seems a cheap price for that peace of mind and she is two year’s younger and a virgin too.

At 71 - I likely would never have a chance to be a beauty like this one’s very first to listen to her scream at 9,000 rpm for the very first time…. A cheap price to pay for this one last time at my age.
You sir, are living life right.

You're essentially the personification of the adage, with age comes wisdom.

Well done, enjoy her in good health.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
EMdoc (11-27-2023), neoprufrok (11-27-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 04:44 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,074 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Or...
Maybe you've just been completely wrong about what a dealer's carrying cost is.
I never tried to estimate what their costs are my friend, but I know they aren't free anymore. Like everyone else says in this thread, time is money!

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM