Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 12:41 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by once4all
You are suggesting Porsche as a manufacturer does not have a legal basis to control what their dealers can sell the products for. So I am wondering how Rolex has successfully managed its authorized dealers (for the most part) what they can charge? Is Rolex doing something illegal? I am mentioning Rolex because the consensus opinion that the brand is the Porsche of watches, and vice versa.

Depends on the contractual arrangement between the manuf and the dealerships I suppose
Old 05-30-2021, 12:49 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

You are suggesting Porsche as a manufacturer does not have a legal basis to control what their dealers can sell the products for. So I am wondering how Rolex has successfully managed its authorized dealers (for the most part) what they can charge? Is Rolex doing something illegal? I am mentioning Rolex because the consensus opinion that the brand is the Porsche of watches, and vice versa.
Mooty is correct Porsche can’t do a thing to them as they don’t do anything to the dealers that sale sub MSRP. Porsche can do what they did in 2018 by making the touring which killed the 911R flip. The craziness you see is driven by the buyer not the seller, and all influenced by the car shortage issue and once it corrects the bottom will fall out. People were bitching at 10k over, and now 90k over for GT3 not sustainable. Porsche needs the same dealers to sale all the soccer mom cars, and no need to kill the goose.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:50 PM
once4all
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Depends on the contractual arrangement between the manuf and the dealerships I suppose
My point is if Porsche can or cannot do it if they want to
Old 05-30-2021, 12:58 PM
once4all
Instructor

"Mooty is correct Porsche can’t do a thing to them as they don’t do anything to the dealers that sale sub MSRP."

Rolex dealers often (at least in the past) discount from MSRP but it's rare they are allowed to sell above MSRP. I am not sure Porsche killed 911R flip at all.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:04 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

"Mooty is correct Porsche can’t do a thing to them as they don’t do anything to the dealers that sale sub MSRP."

Rolex dealers often (at least in the past) discount from MSRP but it's rare they are allowed to sell above MSRP. I am not sure Porsche killed 911R flip at all.
The Touring pushed the R’s into the 300k range for a numbered car, and they’re rising with the tide now like everything else. Rolex has a tight arrangement with stores, and very different than car manufacturers. Porsche can’t do a thing as the store owns the car, and chooses to stay out because the brand is on fire. They will make as many GT3’s as possible.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
lockie (05-30-2021), usctrojanGT3 (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 01:32 PM
once4all
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maverick787
The Touring pushed the R’s into the 300k range for a numbered car, and they’re rising with the tide now like everything else. Rolex has a tight arrangement with stores, and very different than car manufacturers. Porsche can’t do a thing as the store owns the car, and chooses to stay out because the brand is on fire. They will make as many GT3’s as possible.
Let's do not repeat the obvious that the two brands and products do not have an exact parallel in this comparison. You do not know as a fact if Porsche cannot do anything about it if they truly want to. So don't be too defensive to dealer interest. You also do not know if Rolex dealers do not own their watches before sold.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:44 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Let's do not repeat the obvious that the two brands and products do not have an exact parallel in this comparison. You do not know as a fact if Porsche cannot do anything about it if they truly want to. So don't be too defensive to dealer interest. You also do not know if Rolex dealers do not own their watches before sold.
‘Dude not going to argue with you my neighbor is a Porsche lawyer .........so guess he’s lying. Not defensive I can care less honestly ......I run a business and like the free will to charge what I want, and don’t like it don’t buy it very simple. Why beg to buy something, and complain about the same business you’re begging to buy just seams odd to me.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:57 PM
shaggy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vertical Price Fixing

Still generally verboten. See Vertical Minimum Price Fixing.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:39 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Mooty is correct Porsche can’t do a thing to them as they don’t do anything to the dealers that sale sub MSRP. Porsche can do what they did in 2018 by making the touring which killed the 911R flip. The craziness you see is driven by the buyer not the seller, and all influenced by the car shortage issue and once it corrects the bottom will fall out. People were bitching at 10k over, and now 90k over for GT3 not sustainable. Porsche needs the same dealers to sale all the soccer mom cars, and no need to kill the goose.
The correction will be painful when it comes (probably in a few years when the Fed starts increasing rates because inflation is too high). If Porsche is a smart business, they'll build as many GT cars as they can to take advantage of the strong demand (assuming the chip shortage goes away).
Old 05-30-2021, 04:43 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

‘Dude not going to argue with you my neighbor is a Porsche lawyer .........so guess he’s lying. Not defensive I can care less honestly ......I run a business and like the free will to charge what I want, and don’t like it don’t buy it very simple. Why beg to buy something, and complain about the same business you’re begging to buy just seams odd to me.
Bingo, I'm not going to beg to buy at an ADM. Rather buy a nicer home if I'm going to pay a premium because at least with the nicer home I know it will increase in value over time unless GT cars that will depreciate. There is only downside in pricing if you buy a GT car with an ADM, sooner or later as things normalize.
The following 4 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
Maverick787 (05-30-2021), RUF RS (05-30-2021), sda (06-24-2021), Spike Spiegel (12-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 04:53 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts

Before the recent spike, I had heard talk of the touring taking the wind out of R pricing.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:00 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Before the recent spike, I had heard talk of the touring taking the wind out of R pricing.
R’s will always do fine with 991 cars, and the tide is rising on all. R’s are in the high 400k’s. Hell my PTS Speedster I can move for 400k, but its the car I like to drive. Besides that nothing I want in the market as you can only drive so many cars. The R’s that weren’t flipped were less than 200k MSRP. I missed one at 250k, but patience is key with cars lots of good stuff to drive. Many are tied to the Porsche brand and that’s where you get sucked in, and I will try anything once(:
The following users liked this post:
RUF RS (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 05:06 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

R’s will always do fine with 991 cars, and the tide is rising on all. R’s are in the high 400k’s. Hell my PTS Speedster I can move for 400k, but its the car I like to drive. Besides that nothing I want in the market as you can only drive so many cars. The R’s that weren’t flipped were less than 200k MSRP. I missed one at 250k, but patience is key with cars lots of good stuff to drive. Many are tied to the Porsche brand and that’s where you get sucked in, and I will try anything once(:
Yeah, I kind of want to scratch my Ferrari itch with the Speciale when things calm down.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:30 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Yeah, I kind of want to scratch my Ferrari itch with the Speciale when things calm down.
yeah, I’ve always one .......my buddy just picked up one

Old 05-30-2021, 05:44 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

I always get a statement of the pricing and deposit I provided in writing and with a commission number page with my name as the customer.

just got an allocation on a GT4 for msrp - in writing.

asked about the GT3 and they said the first eight they are ordering themselves and will sell them on a competitive bid to the highest bidders. And in sequential order - one car at a time- no shopping the configurations or colors.

I said I would buy one at msrp and he said probably by year end they will have allocations that will get sold at msrp — and I told him when he wants to sell an allocation for a GT3 on a rainy day sometime at msrp to give me a call.

said he would.

capitalism - isn’t it great.

I like Rolex’s and I have a great relationship with my AD - I bought a few less desirable Rolex models - my wife benefited - and now I get the hard to get watches. Just got a Sky-dweller - blue dial. Very hard to find new. But the dealer knows I don’t sell my watches and I buy other jewelry from him also everytime I go into pick up a watch. Rolex dealers are required not to sell above msrp - which is really stupid as it gives all the market profit to second hand dealers and “flippers”. Rolex dealers tend to be more honorable and more rational than car salesman — so I don’t know if the relationship matters to dealers ry much particularly when they can sell cars for any price they want. A dealer really has to love you to walk away from a $50,000 markup. If you really want the manager at the dealer to love you tell the manager at the dealer that you will buy any Porsche that they have not been able to sell for 60 days with a 10% discount. Any Porsche. Buy the car and resell it and take the loss if you have too and then you may get the super hard cars at msrp — but probably not still. But this would be the best way to get them to give you a deal or put you in the front of the line. Make their lives easier and they will remembers you.

they get cars ordered with oddball colors and despite a cash deposit the buyer flakes and they have to resell the car and it sits for months - they hate to keep cars on the lot.

I have gotten my allocations for a Targa, and recently for a GTS Boxster and a GT4 because I called the salesman on lucky day and they both - different dealers- had buyers cancel right before lock dates and they wanted the cars sold and speced by a legitimate known real buyer who won’t back out.

As a stockbroker - years ago when it was fun- I had hedge funds that would buy large positions in utility stock underwritings just to get allocated hot issues. They would sell the utility shares immediately - sometimes even losing a little money but hope to make it up on the hot issues. The utility offerings paid a broker more per share than the hot issues - and these hedge fund guys would do this with a lot of brokers - combine all the hot issue shares and sell them all in a block trade for a large profit. The commissions on the utility shares was nice but more important was we wanted all our allocation of shares by the syndicate sold immediately so we could show the lead on the dea l that we could honor whatever allocation they gave us so we could move up the syndicate tiers to larger positions - particularly with the hot issues. The firm got larger hot issue share allocations by selling more shares in the mundane utility underwritings.

find a way to help a dealer deal with their hard to move inventory and they will pay you back by selling you the hard to buy cars.

but I would get guys that would call up and act like they were doing me a favor for wanting to buy shares from an underwriting that were likely to pop 50% on the first day.

car dealers don’t need friends - they need to make as more money to cover their expenses.
The following 2 users liked this post by Targa32:
smceo (05-31-2021), usctrojanGT3 (05-30-2021)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM