Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016 | 08:44 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mb1
After drop off, I called the dealer about once a week to see the progress of the car. It sat at port for nearly a month. Once the car was loaded onto a boat, I got an email from the Porsche European delivery department. The ship tracking websites will take over from there.
Thanks mb1. Spoke to Daniel and he confirmed I'll get a letter once the car boards the ship.
Old 08-13-2016 | 07:07 PM
aabueg2005
Instructor

Finally, delivery day tomorrow, a Sunday! The sales manager was nice enough to drop it of my clinic tomorrow since he will be in the area. Here's the car getting prepped for delivery. I will post more pictures when I get it. It will join my 997 C2S cab in the stable. 2017 C4S.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2016 | 10:04 PM
planet
Instructor

Just joined the waiting room ranks today! This will be my third custom-built German car order (previously: a 2001 E46 330i and a 2011 F10 535i), but my first Porsche. Got 5% off MSRP at a local Bay Area dealership, so I placed my deposit with "no later than January" ETA.

No allocation yet, so I'd appreciate comments on the build, if anyone would like to take a look.

Intended use for 3 things (1) as a semi-daily driver through the congested freeways of the Bay Area, in tandem with my more stately/boat-y 2011 BMW 535i, (2) spirited drives out on the twisties whenever I can, and (3) weekend trips up or down the coast, into wine country, or up into the foothills / Sierra Nevadas. I do not intend to track the car.

Current config, with commentary on choices:
  • Carrera 4S. Strongly considered the 2S because I'm in northern California and apparently it will never rain here ever again. I didn't choose the 4S for its silly 0-to-60 time (*cough*), but rather for the planted road feel, which is exceptional. And also because I do sometimes head up into the Sierras or to Lake Tahoe and occasionally encounter "weather", I'd like the option of taking the fun car with some peace of mind. Didn't consider the non-S versions.
  • GT Silver Metallic. The biggest variable. The GT Silver is a gorgeous silver color -- but it is silver, and rather vanilla. Other options are Night Blue and Sapphire blue. My wife thinks Sapphire Blue will look dated (if not already), and likes Night Blue the best. However, all shall not be vanilla on the interior...
  • Black/Bordeaux Red leather. This is a bit risky, but IMHO provides a nice color theme and visual interest -- especially given the red breaks and the 4S's continuous red light strip around the back. (Yes, they're different reds, I know.) I looked at black/bordeaux samples at the dealership, and it's certainly less wild than the old red (Garnet Red?) that was previously available, and a touch more sedate, or perhaps refined, or perhaps classy? I love the red deviated stitching against the black, as well. If I flip my exterior color to one of the blues, it won't work, so I'd need to go all-black. But for now, Silver over Black/Bordeaux.
  • Premium Package Plus. No brainer, seems to me.
  • Sport Package. De rigeur overall, though each component in the package seems to have its detractors. My F10 has rear axle steering, and it does make a difference. Of course, implementations vary. But I do like it. The rivets on the GT wheel... not so much.
  • PDK. Thought about a manual for about 5 seconds before abandoning the idea, since this would be doing at least some commuter duty in the Bay Area.
  • 20" Carerra S wheels with colored wheel caps. The standard wheels look pretty good, though I am on-again/off-again strongly considering the RS Spyder wheels.
  • Model Designation "911". The simplified badging is classy, IMO.
  • Sunroof in Glass. The black sunroof goes better with Night Blue than with a brighter color, like the Silver, but it's worth it.
  • Front Axle Lift. My driveway has a strong incline and even my F10 will scrape against it unless I'm careful. The lower 911 is definitely cause for concern, so this goes on the list.
  • ACC. Didn't buy it on the F10, and wish I had. Won't make the same mistake again.
  • LCA. Nice feature, and. I'm used to this feature.
  • Multifunction/heated wheel. Multifunction w/ the Sport package gets you the smaller GT wheel with rivets/screws and multifunction buttons. I'd prefer to avoid the rivets on the wheel, but to get the pure Multifunction wheel I'd need to break the sports package and go a la carte, which will cost a bunch of cash. Not worth avoiding the rivets.
  • 14-way Power Sport Seats. Having sat in boththe 14's and 18's, I find the 14's quite comfortable.
  • Smoking pkg
  • Luggage net
  • Instrument Dials in Black. Absolutely.
  • Steering column casing in leather. Saw some reviews/threads which mentioned this, and I agree. Great tip.
  • Porsche crest on headrests. Since the seats are a large solid mass of leather, this helps add some detail to an otherwise blank surface.
  • Brushed Aluminum package. Have seen in person and I like the look. Did have a moment's pause since the door handles, shifter area, and steering wheel don't get changed to match, but I think it still works.
  • Bose stereo. Go back and forth between this and the Burmester. My salesman indicated that all the sound systems were moderately improved (more watts, perhaps some mechanical changes?), and the Bose sounds better this before. No idea, I think the Bose is fine. Not great, but good.

So that's where I'm at now. Would be interested in any thoughts/feedback! Now, off to set a 160 day countdown timer...

Last edited by planet; 08-14-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2016 | 12:08 AM
gyangage
Intermediate

Got 5% off MSRP at a local Bay Area dealership
Hey Planet... Sound like a beautiful C4S!

I, too, and getting a C4S and am wondering which dealership you got your 5% at? I had 5% when I was getting a C2 but my dealership (local Bay Area as well) said they couldn't honor that when I upgraded to a CS4 due to lower inventory, which felt suspicious to me and, quite frankly, has tarnished an otherwise pleasant experience buying my first Porsche.
Old 08-14-2016 | 12:22 AM
planet
Instructor

Originally Posted by gyangage

I, too, and getting a C4S and am wondering which dealership you got your 5% at? I had 5% when I was getting a C2 but my dealership (local Bay Area as well) said they couldn't honor that when I upgraded to a CS4 due to lower inventory, which felt suspicious to me and, quite frankly, has tarnished an otherwise pleasant experience buying my first Porsche.
Details sent by PM (just in case it's against forum etiquette to name names).
Old 08-14-2016 | 12:28 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gyangage

Try not to sweat it. They really are short on cars - I hear Porsche is doing very well in China.

Mine had to come from another market as they were out of allocations locally. We live at altitude, so turbo is more advantageous here than at sea level.

The fact that the dealers shuffle unfilled allocations averages the wait times and prices. They are new, so deals aren't great yet.
Old 08-14-2016 | 01:16 AM
gyangage
Intermediate

Details sent by PM (just in case it's against forum etiquette to name names).
Thanks planet... Yeah, that topic probably doesn't belong here but I appreciate the help.

I also have to say that I really appreciate the Porsche community here. As passionate as some of these topics get it's great to see everyone support each other in their differences... Or maybe that's the Olympics coming through... Either way it's good to see. Any "issue" on this thread is the definition of a 1st world problem (which I forgot) and is an awesome issue to have!
Old 08-14-2016 | 10:46 AM
sfy1505
Rennlist Member

[*]GT Silver Metallic. The biggest variable. The GT Silver is a gorgeous silver color -- but it is silver, and rather vanilla. Other options are Night Blue and Sapphire blue. My wife thinks Sapphire Blue will look dated (if not already), and likes Night Blue the best. However, all shall not be vanilla on the interior...[*]Black/Bordeaux Red leather. This is a bit risky, but IMHO provides a nice color theme and visual interest -- especially given the red breaks and the 4S's continuous red light strip around the back. (Yes, they're different reds, I know.) I looked at black/bordeaux samples at the dealership, and it's certainly less wild than the old red (Garnet Red?) that was previously available, and a touch more sedate, or perhaps refined, or perhaps classy? I love the red deviated stitching against the black, as well. If I flip my exterior color to one of the blues, it won't work, so I'd need to go all-black. But for now, Silver over Black/Bordeaux.

Listen to your wife! I picked up my 2017 Targa 4S at Zuffenhausen in late April, Night Blue with Black/Bordeaux interior and couldn't be happier. Very uplifting color combo every time I get in. Gets lots of attention and rave reviews from just about everyone.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2016 | 01:08 PM
planet
Instructor

Originally Posted by sfy1505
Listen to your wife! I picked up my 2017 Targa 4S at Zuffenhausen in late April, Night Blue with Black/Bordeaux interior and couldn't be happier. Very uplifting color combo every time I get in. Gets lots of attention and rave reviews from just about everyone.
Thanks, and looks good! Do you have other pictures?
Old 08-15-2016 | 08:49 AM
aabueg2005
Instructor

No longer waiting, finally got to drive my 991.2 C4S home, amazing car as a DD compared to my 997 which I think gives me variety if I want a relaxed comfortable drive or a raw one.
Attached Images         
Old 08-15-2016 | 09:10 AM
sfy1505
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by planet
Thanks, and looks good! Do you have other pictures?
I do have more pics. I am out of the country now and posting pictures is very slow. I'll add one here and tell me what you want to see and I can take those pics for you when I get home in a week.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2016 | 10:08 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

I chose the Black / Bordeaux with Metallic White exterior for my 991.2TT that is scheduled to be built by early Sept. The red interior is a new one for me, but as stated by others, the Bordeaux is muted as compared to bright red options in the past, and IMO is more classy / livable. In addition, the black tones it down more, and reduces reflection in the dash. After all this is a sports car, and the Black / Bordeaux will hit the mark. When reading other opinions on this board, some regret not ordering this interior, and those that have it love it. IMO the B/B goes best with Metallic White, GT Silver, Night Blue, Graphite Blue Metallic. I have a 2013 Cayenne Diesel with a color very similar to the Night Blue (Beige Interior), and it's very nice. The problem is that so many good colors are offered, we continue second guessing ourselves. Your configuration looks good.
Old 08-15-2016 | 11:14 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sfy1505
I do have more pics. I am out of the country now and posting pictures is very slow. I'll add one here and tell me what you want to see and I can take those pics for you when I get home in a week.
Would you please stop posting your pictures upside down? You're making me dizzy.
Old 08-15-2016 | 11:20 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aabueg2005
No longer waiting, finally got to drive my 991.2 C4S home, amazing car as a DD compared to my 997 which I think gives me variety if I want a relaxed comfortable drive or a raw one.
Anecdote: Did you notice your temporary tags expire on 911?
I think that may be good luck.
Old 08-15-2016 | 11:58 AM
planet
Instructor

aabueg2005 - Congrats! She's a beauty!

Originally Posted by philg3
I chose the Black / Bordeaux with Metallic White exterior for my 991.2TT that is scheduled to be built by early Sept. The red interior is a new one for me, but as stated by others, the Bordeaux is muted as compared to bright red options in the past, and IMO is more classy / livable. In addition, the black tones it down more, and reduces reflection in the dash. After all this is a sports car, and the Black / Bordeaux will hit the mark. When reading other opinions on this board, some regret not ordering this interior, and those that have it love it. IMO the B/B goes best with Metallic White, GT Silver, Night Blue, Graphite Blue Metallic. I have a 2013 Cayenne Diesel with a color very similar to the Night Blue (Beige Interior), and it's very nice. The problem is that so many good colors are offered, we continue second guessing ourselves. Your configuration looks good.
Thank you. Did you have a chance to see the B/B fully in person before ordering? I wish I could have, to get a sense of the full amount of red you get, and to stack that against the highly variable photos of the color you see online, and also to assess if the sheer volume of red color overwhelms even the more reserved color choice. Maybe the 18-way seats with their silver back would be a good way to reduce the "red sea", too?

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!