Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 06:04 PM
longhua
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought from individual. They are chasing the warranty information for me.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:10 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by longhua
Bought from individual. They are chasing the warranty information for me.
If someone traded it in, would make senses that ended up with it. Not unusual seeing Porsche's at other brand dealers.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:26 PM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

So it looks like the mileage was just a typo, but this car was purchase by the dealership. Is that unusual for a non-Porsche dealership to purchase a 911? If it were a purchase at auction the auction would've come up on the carfax right? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger but wanted to see if there're any flags I should be thinking about.
Based on the Carfax, it doesn't look like this car was ever sold at auction, just traded to the dealer on a different car.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...AB2A91ES121946

I have seen a number of 911s that have been traded for cars from other marques, and so ended up on that dealer's lot. E.g., a 911 on a Chevy lot (traded for a Corvette), on a MB lot (traded for an SL), on a Maserati lot (traded for a QuattroP), on a Kia lot (traded for a Sedona minivan ), etc.

Most of the time, these dealers will perform a quid-pro-quo trade with their local Porsche dealer that has something that they would like to sell in turn.

But otherwise, they are probably more willing to deal on a 911, since it's not a car they sell often, and would like to move as soon as possible.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:31 PM
longhua
Advanced

Trade on a Kia Sedona? Holy crap.....
Old 07-15-2016, 06:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Trade on a Kia Sedona? Holy crap.....
We can speculate all we want with 1,000 different scenarios. Best to call the dealer directly and get the scoop. Not really worth posting "what if's" here .....
Old 07-15-2016, 06:41 PM
ttusqrl
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like the Lava Orange posted the other day is gone. Figured that would be quick
Old 07-15-2016, 06:45 PM
dimok
Intermediate

Originally Posted by r00t61
Carfax is owned by IHS, a business analytics conglomerate. Autocheck is owned by Experian, a credit-reporting company.

With Carfax, you can get really detailed maintenance/service records, e.g.:

This does require the dealer to sign up with Carfax for data collection, however; and not every dealer chooses to do so.

Carfax tends to provide a more holistic and useful timeline view of the total life of the car, especially if it has had multiple owners. It also includes accident details, but the downside here is that some of those "accidents" can be false positives - e.g., a shopping cart that hits a bumper gets typed into the database as a "major collision."

I know some people who work in dealerships that have been migrating towards Autocheck because it is apparently less expensive than Carfax for report generation.

Personally, I prefer Carfax because the report is easier to read and understand; but neither is an absolute guarantee. No matter if you get a Carfax or an Autocheck, I would want to get an independent PPI performed.
Great, thank you. How would I find smb who can do a PPI? Look online?
Old 07-15-2016, 07:13 PM
fw991S
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default autocheck and carfax

i was talking to a sales mgr at a dealer during my search and he told me that carfax does not include police reports. it only scrapes info from dealers and ins cos if i recall correctly. whereas autocheck will pick up any incidents reported to the police.

not sure how accurate all this is but i think the takeaway is that you should get all that is available and insist on both carfax and autocheck, and to do a thorough ppi, especially if dealing with a seller you arent familiar with.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:28 PM
STG
Race Director

CarFax DOES list accidents .....
Old 07-15-2016, 07:46 PM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by dimok
Great, thank you. How would I find smb who can do a PPI? Look online?
You can retain the services of a P-dealer to do a PPI, especially if the car is at a non-P dealer (independent or other marque or private sale).

Otherwise, if the car is already at a P-dealer, there are indie Porsche repair shops in all of the major metro areas - LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, NY, etc. that will do PPIs. Search this forum and/or 6speedonline and/or google for terms like "Porsche PPI [Insert city name here]" and you should get what you need.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:53 PM
longhua
Advanced

Do you typically do a DME/PPI for a car you buy off the lot of a non-P dealer?
Old 07-15-2016, 07:58 PM
JBT3
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you typically do a DME/PPI for a car you buy off the lot of a non-P dealer?
ALWAYS!!! It is cheap insurance and can save you much financial pain.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Gene@AtlantaPerimeter
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by STG
Their cost? Probably like $2,700 installed on the higher end off the top of my head.
Originally Posted by pfbz
But sales, parts and service typically have separate financial performance goals, so it's not always easy for sales to get parts and service to do 'at cost' work just so they can make a sale....
Originally Posted by STG
No problem. Good luck with the negotiating. The number I gave you has some cushion in it. Bare, bare bones cost installed probably closer $2,400-$2,500, so negotiating something above that throws them a little room to make them happy.
pfbz is correct. Parts and Sales Departments don't always work with the Sales department based on cost. It has to be mutually beneficial to all parties.

That dealer's cost could be the exact same ($4K) that you the consumer would have to pay. $4K is quite a large chunk!
Old 07-15-2016, 08:30 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gene@AtlantaPerimeter
pfbz is correct. Parts and Sales Departments don't always work with the Sales department based on cost. It has to be mutually beneficial to all parties.

That dealer's cost could be the exact same ($4K) that you the consumer would have to pay. $4K is quite a large chunk!
This is the problem at many dealers. Every dept looking out for their own interest and not seeing the big picture >>> Dealership sales, total profits, and happy customers.

One dealer I use has a great SA and master tech. I buy zero parts from them. Their parts dept charges OVER MSRP which is insane. The SA is frustrated with the parts dept because his customers complain about getting gouged. The parts manager is only concerned about showing good profit margins and is oblivious to the fact of total profit dollars. What does he care? He's probably rewarded on the margin and not directly on total sales. Some businesses are so screwed up. Such short sighted views and too many people looking out for themselves versus for the whole dealership. Oh well!! Their loss. I spend my $$$ where it goes the furthest.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:07 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

This might be worth checking into.
https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/315867

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991