Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 07:40 PM
thelampire
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ottodawg
Ok, he did say "toy", although I'd consider a Rolex a toy. Well at least with the BM'er you'll have a place for your golf clubs..😁
True, sorry.
I'd get a Tag Heuer Monaco, those didn't become (more) overpriced as far as i saw.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:40 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by thelampire
True, sorry.
I'd get a Tag Heuer Monaco, those didn't become (more) overpriced as far as i saw.
Thanks, I'll have to check them out.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:36 AM
thelampire
Instructor

I think this is quite hot, at least for now: 2015 991 Targa 4s MT with 13k miles

Last edited by thelampire; 01-05-2021 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:54 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,139 Likes on 641 Posts

Thanks, I'll have to check them out.
The Monaco is a nice watch- but Tag has gotten a fairly bad reputation in the watch community in the past few decades by routinely using ETA movements and charging bespoke prices. Their watches look great and are built well, but for $5000+ you would just expect more. I think they're doing a lot to turn this image problem around but unless you're just in love with the look of the Monaco (it is a distinct and very handsome watch), the money could be spent better with another watch.

If you're going to spend $5000 I'd look at a gently used Omega. Since you like the Submariner, consider the Seamaster Planet Ocean; I've seen this watch in person and they're gorgeous.

Panerai is another option but II'd steer clear of the new ones; some questionable decisions by the company has led to their "diving" watches (Luminor Due) being rated at 50M or less due to the snap-back case... but they do look fantastic IMO. Panerai is a love-it-or-hate-it brand, I just happen to love it. The older Luminor models with the screw down cases are keeping their value well without being overpriced, but again, this is assuming you like Panerai, which not everyone does.

As you mention prices for Rolex steel sports watches are absurd and don't look like they'll be returning to normal anytime soon.

Last edited by manifold danger; 01-05-2021 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:52 AM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
The Monaco is a nice watch- but Tag has gotten a fairly bad reputation in the watch community in the past few decades by routinely using ETA movements and charging bespoke prices. Their watches look great and are built well, but for $5000+ you would just expect more. I think they're doing a lot to turn this image problem around but unless you're just in love with the look of the Monaco (it is a distinct and very handsome watch), the money could be spent better with another watch.

If you're going to spend $5000 I'd look at a gently used Omega. Since you like the Submariner, consider the Seamaster Planet Ocean; I've seen this watch in person and they're gorgeous.

Panerai is another option but II'd steer clear of the new ones; some questionable decisions by the company has led to their "diving" watches (Luminor Due) being rated at 50M or less due to the snap-back case... but they do look fantastic IMO. Panerai is a love-it-or-hate-it brand, I just happen to love it. The older Luminor models with the screw down cases are keeping their value well without being overpriced, but again, this is assuming you like Panerai, which not everyone does.

As you mention prices for Rolex steel sports watches are absurd and don't look like they'll be returning to normal anytime soon.
Thanks! Great info, looks like I have some studying to do.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:57 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Stay on topic please...talk watches here: https://rennlist.com/forums/watches-169/
The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (01-10-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 01:49 PM
Helios
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...paign=atempest

Thoughts on this car? KBB says 75-$84K with it's options and mileage. Cars.com seems to think it needs to drop down to $74,900 to be a good deal. The lack of any maintenance being recorded on the Carfax scares me a little, but that doesn't mean it wasn't documented elsewhere. It also states only 1 key is available which is odd. I've seen a few reviews that have generally good things to say about RAC on here, but it looks like they were better a few years ago.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:49 PM
thelampire
Instructor

I cannot really comment on the price, 75k sounds good, but given the current market situation, it could be that it's higher than a year ago.
I would call them about the key, I think the ad is ambiguous. I interpret it as plus one key, which could mean two keys altogether. The lack of service history is not a big deal here imho, not much needs to be done before 25k. Oil and brake fluid changes and filter changes do not get reported in carfax usually. There was some recall maintenance done on the car, which is in there. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only a rookie who has looked at way too many 911 ads and forum posts.)
Old 01-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Helios
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by thelampire
I cannot really comment on the price, 75k sounds good, but given the current market situation, it could be that it's higher than a year ago.
I would call them about the key, I think the ad is ambiguous. I interpret it as plus one key, which could mean two keys altogether. The lack of service history is not a big deal here imho, not much needs to be done before 25k. Oil and brake fluid changes and filter changes do not get reported in carfax usually. There was some recall maintenance done on the car, which is in there. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only a rookie who has looked at way too many 911 ads and forum posts.)
I have seen oil changes and even wash/details on carfax reports, but I guess that just depends on the place performing the service.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:02 PM
ZainK95
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

True
Old 01-05-2021, 06:42 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Helios
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...paign=atempest

Thoughts on this car? KBB says 75-$84K with it's options and mileage. Cars.com seems to think it needs to drop down to $74,900 to be a good deal. The lack of any maintenance being recorded on the Carfax scares me a little, but that doesn't mean it wasn't documented elsewhere. It also states only 1 key is available which is odd. I've seen a few reviews that have generally good things to say about RAC on here, but it looks like they were better a few years ago.
Don't let the lack of maintenance documentation on Carfax scare you off. I perform most of my own maintenance on my cars and I am confident that the care and concern I show them is far better than most other sources performing the same services. Working on a 991 is not rocket science. Just ask to see the receipts for oil, filters, fluids etc. Anyone claiming to do their own maintenance should have them readily available. I have a folder with every receipt relating to my 911.......Just don't ask me for receipts for brake fluid, even someone as OCD as me can accidentally throw them away...........lol
The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (01-06-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 11:26 AM
thegoatfarmer
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub
Yah, this is a terrible time to buy a 991.1 or 997.2. Its a complete sellers market. I refuse to pay$5-10K over even a fair price, much less dealer pricing. I've seen numerous cars on dealer lots for $55-60K that KBB says should be $45K - manheim data backs this up... Just wait ya'll! The question is. what other toy is there to buy with all this disposable covid income we have! What are you other guys options?
I’m in the same boat. They’re just flat out overpriced right now. On the plus side, I sold my 981 CS two months ago for what I paid for it and was able to put 15k miles on it. The plan was to move into a 911, but I may need to look into something else while prices stabilize. 6MT is necessary. I was thinking trying a M2 or M3 — any other suggestions?
Old 01-07-2021, 11:37 AM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoatfarmer
I’m in the same boat. They’re just flat out overpriced right now. On the plus side, I sold my 981 CS two months ago for what I paid for it and was able to put 15k miles on it. The plan was to move into a 911, but I may need to look into something else while prices stabilize. 6MT is necessary. I was thinking trying a M2 or M3 — any other suggestions?
The market for 997.2's has been like this for what like... 7? 8? years now..... I don't see either 997.2 or 991.1's changing much, especially S/GTS's (and even more so MT's).
They just dont make NA 911's anymore outside of 150k GT3's and theres no getting around that and i think it drives prices up. Also, 991's are solid cars with very little issues.

Regarding M2/3... ive had both. Two M3's (F80, One comp, one not, MT and DCT) and a F87 M2 Comp.
In my opinion, the M3 is a far better buy. You can get them for less than a M2 Comp and they weigh the exact same.. the only benefit to the M2 is the wheelbase.
But neither offer an experience close to my 991.1 S. In a straight line they are just as fast, but far less composed, precise and dont even get me started on the sound....

Last edited by mic_crispy; 01-07-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:02 PM
titans99
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rolex Submariner, but they're as overpriced as a 991... 😒
I’ve had mine for 21 years now, and it’s worth more now than ever, but I’d never sell it. It’s the best gift I’ve ever received.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:17 PM
dd356
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice 2015 targa manual on BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...11-targa-4s-3/

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991