Sponsored by:

ECU Tuning Questions (Detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021 | 03:10 PM
smgkc
Instructor

Originally Posted by devtec
No mention of the Litchfield tune?

Highly respected outfit, offered on Cobb AP, can remote tune based on logs, and retune as you add mods. Each retune is $350. Can all be done in your driveway and removed at will.

Many articles on the Litchfield Carrera T in professional publications giving the car a 5/5. Also a few YouTube videos out there.

Tuned for everyday drivability and reliability. Used by the owner Ian Litchfield on his personal Carrera T.

Just throwing it out there, as I was considering this myself. I have to confirm with them that they have a 91 octane version of the tune. Disadvantage is that Litchfield is located in U.K., but mitigated by remote tuning capability and that the tune seems to be solid and ever improving (given that it’s his personal car).

No bias here, just reporting my own research so far. The Litchfield car was what convinced me to buy my T, as the articles demonstrate the incredible growth capability of the 991.2 base platform.

Good luck, all.
I threw Linchfield in the mix, since they are embedded with Cobb I put them in like a subsection under Cobb. Funny you mention it another friend mentioned them the other day and their great reputation. I will try to look a little deeper as I get time. Thanks for the suggestion!
The following users liked this post:
devtec (01-28-2021)
Old 01-27-2021 | 03:25 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by smgkc
I got a few moments and was able to speak with the tech dept at APR, I just called the normal number went through the prompts and it took about 10 seconds for someone to answer. I was very impressed with the gentleman's answers to my questions as he had no prep time and didn't know what I would be asking. I updated a couple things on the pro/con list for APR, but was able to confirm that a home-based solution is coming (maybe summer 2021, but no promises). At the bottom there is a table of HP & Torque claims from each company, where it says "(calculated)", i increased their percentage gains to the stock numbers with a calculator. The Cobb numbers seemed a little fishy there still but i put what they posted. Ignoring the Cobb, Softronics has the largest power and torque output by ~2% on HP and ~8% Torque to the next closest tuning solution. The chart (at the bottom) didn't copy and past as well as I would have liked it to but i think its still readable. I will continue to call other companies as I get time but here is what I have so far for updates.

FVD:

Pro:

Porsche only company based in Germany

Quality R&D Budget (3 engineers on staff)

Bosch & Siemens trained for Porsche Specific

$1500 is comparable to APR & Softronics

They posted on RL saying 10% disc to Rennlist members (I think its still valid)

30-day Guarantee

Con:

No Warranty

No Full Custom Tune

Unknown:

APR:

Pro:

Powertrain Warranty available

Quality R&D Budget

$1500 is comparable to FVD & Softronics

30-day Guarantee

Porsche’s on site for testing purposes

Customer Service + (Quick call answer and thorough answers to my questions, without prep work)

Con:

No Home Solution (Confirmed its coming Estimate. Summer 2021)

No PDK Option

Any mods for warranty need to have written authorization from APR (I get it but have an approved parts list)

No Full Custom Tune (Claim that for stock its pretty spot on)

Not Porsche Specific

Powertrain Warranty $1500 Extra

Softronics

Pro:

Largest HP & Torque Gains

Home Based Install

Full Custom Tune

Con:

$95 more then APR/FVD

No Warranty

Unknown:

Quality R&D Budget?

Cobb/Linchfield:

Pro:

Quality R&D Budget

Accessport is superior to other devices

Limited PDK Tuning Upgrade Available ($700)

30-day Guarantee

Full Custom Tune Included (SpeedCircuit)

Home Based Install

Linchfield Tune Available (£600.00/$830)

Con:

No Warranty

$1695

No Bosch & Siemens trained for Porsche Specific

Firmware has seemed questionable at times

More work for Custom Tune vs Semi-Custom (Not anyones fault)

Rumored that current FW version has less power than older FW versions

Unknown:

Custom tunes are rumored to be 100% based around the OTS maps, does this really make them more valuable? - What happens after FW update?

VF Engineering/ HEX tune

+50-60HP/+90-100WTQ

Pro:

Quality R&D Budget

Online About us:

VF Engineering has been located in Orange County, CA for nearly 20 years now. Our facility measures some 15,000 sq-ft and includes a Mustang AWD 500 chassis dyno, 4 Hunter lifts, a big photo studio, R&D room with a rapid prototyper, and a clean room for ECU board work. We’ve also got this big-*** red couch. Not sure where it came from but it has a magical effect on cars. They always make a few extra hp when the red couch is there.

Con:

No Warranty

No Full Custom Tune

$2300

Less Gains than APR or FVD

Dealer Only

Unknown:

991.2 C4

Software

Max Power

Max Torque

Stock (Porsche)

272 kW (370 HP) @ 6500rpm

450 Nm (331 lb.-ft.) @ 1700-5000rpm

Stock (APR)

390 HP

330 FT-LBS

FVD Tune

335 kW (455 HP) @ 6500rpm

580 Nm (428 lb.-ft.) @ 3500rpm

APR 91 AKI

454 HP

439 FT-LBS

APR 93 AKI

475 HP

461 FT-LBS

Softronics 93 AKI

485 HP

498 FT-LBS

Cobb OTS Stage 1 91 AKI

469.9 HP (Calculated)

420.37 FT-LBS (Calculated)

Cobb OTS Stage 1 93 AKI

503.2 HP (Calculated)

450.16 FT-LBS (Calculated)

Linchfield Cobb Custom Tune

460 BHP (466 PS)

430 FT-LBS (583 Nm)

SpeedCircuit Custom Tune

456 WHP (Calculated)

413 FT-LBS (Calculated)

HEX Tune

420-430 HP (Calculated)

421-431 FT-LBS (Calculated)
I'm not sure where you're getting the power/torque numbers from, but if you're comparing one companies dyno graphs to another, it's apples and oranges. All dynos read differently, so the same car can make 300hp on one dyno and 400hp on another.

That being said, our tune makes ~11whp over the Cobb Stage 1 tune all else being equal. So the numbers you list should reflect that.
Old 01-27-2021 | 03:28 PM
smgkc
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedCircuit
I'm not sure where you're getting the power/torque numbers from, but if you're comparing one companies dyno graphs to another, it's apples and oranges. All dynos read differently, so the same car can make 300hp on one dyno and 400hp on another.

That being said, our tune makes ~11whp over the Cobb Stage 1 tune all else being equal. So the numbers you list should reflect that.
I just used what I could find, let me see if I can get graphs for each and place that on here instead of just raw numbers. Please post/send any dyno graphs to me if you have the ability.
Old 01-27-2021 | 06:48 PM
polobai
Drifting

Also-these are crank HP figures, or WHP? I think APR distinguishes between both on their site depending on which you chose but not sure on the rest. In the end, you have to look at the % gained over base line as the dyno's read differently.
Old 01-27-2021 | 07:19 PM
smgkc
Instructor

Originally Posted by polobai
Also-these are crank HP figures, or WHP? I think APR distinguishes between both on their site depending on which you chose but not sure on the rest. In the end, you have to look at the % gained over base line as the dyno's read differently.
I'm not sure, I took literally from each's website, I do not believe many of them specified. I will remove the HP & Torque stuff for now since its not a fair comparison.
Old 01-27-2021 | 11:44 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I just used what I could find, let me see if I can get graphs for each and place that on here instead of just raw numbers. Please post/send any dyno graphs to me if you have the ability.
Here you go.

https://www.speedcircuit.net/product...03be0e0a&_ss=r

I think the best way to do it is to show the percentage of power and torque gained for each solution relative to the factory tune. Also, note that there's a difference between a graph and an illustration / estimate.

Old 01-28-2021 | 10:15 AM
devtec
Rennlist Member

I threw Linchfield in the mix, since they are embedded with Cobb I put them in like a subsection under Cobb. Funny you mention it another friend mentioned them the other day and their great reputation. I will try to look a little deeper as I get time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Let us know what you think.

I think Litchfield website numbers are low/outdated. Without mods likely just under 500hp. With exhaust only (Akrapovic slip on) its hitting 520 hp and 470 ft lbs torque. The last video states 610 hp (with more supporting mods, likely headers and cats).

Last edited by devtec; 01-28-2021 at 06:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by devtec:
GT3FZS (01-29-2021), SFZ GT3 (02-01-2021)
Old 01-28-2021 | 10:42 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I got a few moments and was able to speak with the tech dept at APR, I just called the normal number went through the prompts and it took about 10 seconds for someone to answer. I was very impressed with the gentleman's answers to my questions as he had no prep time and didn't know what I would be asking. I updated a couple things on the pro/con list for APR, but was able to confirm that a home-based solution is coming (maybe summer 2021, but no promises). At the bottom there is a table of HP & Torque claims from each company, where it says "(calculated)", i increased their percentage gains to the stock numbers with a calculator. The Cobb numbers seemed a little fishy there still but i put what they posted. Ignoring the Cobb, Softronics has the largest power and torque output by ~2% on HP and ~8% Torque to the next closest tuning solution. The chart (at the bottom) didn't copy and past as well as I would have liked it to but i think its still readable. I will continue to call other companies as I get time but here is what I have so far for updates.

FVD:

Pro:

Porsche only company based in Germany

Quality R&D Budget (3 engineers on staff)

$1500 is comparable to APR & Softronics

They posted on RL saying 10% disc to Rennlist members (I think its still valid)

30-day Guarantee

Con:

No Warranty

No Full Custom Tune

Unknown:

APR:

Pro:

Powertrain Warranty available

Quality R&D Budget

$1500 is comparable to FVD & Softronics

30-day Guarantee

Porsche’s on site for testing purposes

Customer Service + (Quick call answer and thorough answers to my questions, without prep work)

Con:

No Home Solution (Confirmed its coming Estimate. Summer 2021)

No PDK Option

Any mods for warranty need to have written authorization from APR (I get it but have an approved parts list)

No Full Custom Tune (Claim that for stock its pretty spot on)

Not Porsche Specific

Powertrain Warranty $1500 Extra

Softronics

Pro:

Largest HP & Torque Gains

Home Based Install

Full Custom Tune

Con:

$95 more then APR/FVD

No Warranty

Unknown:

Quality R&D Budget?

Cobb/Linchfield:

Pro:

Quality R&D Budget

Accessport is superior to other devices

Limited PDK Tuning Upgrade Available ($700)

30-day Guarantee

Full Custom Tune Included (SpeedCircuit)

Home Based Install

Linchfield Tune Available (£600.00/$830)

Con:

No Warranty

$1695

No Bosch & Siemens trained for Porsche Specific

Firmware has seemed questionable at times

More work for Custom Tune vs Semi-Custom (Not anyones fault)

Rumored that current FW version has less power than older FW versions

Unknown:

Custom tunes are rumored to be 100% based around the OTS maps, does this really make them more valuable? - What happens after FW update?

VF Engineering/ HEX tune

+50-60HP/+90-100WTQ

Pro:

Quality R&D Budget

Online About us:

VF Engineering has been located in Orange County, CA for nearly 20 years now. Our facility measures some 15,000 sq-ft and includes a Mustang AWD 500 chassis dyno, 4 Hunter lifts, a big photo studio, R&D room with a rapid prototyper, and a clean room for ECU board work. We’ve also got this big-*** red couch. Not sure where it came from but it has a magical effect on cars. They always make a few extra hp when the red couch is there.

Con:

No Warranty

No Full Custom Tune

$2300

Less Gains than APR or FVD

Dealer Only

Unknown:

For APR, you don’t mention their warranty tune is $3k for a 91 octane tune for the balance of the factory warranty. I was interested until I found out they don’t have any plan to prorate the price based on how much time is left on warranty (2 years for me). Unless that has changed since I last checked.
I’m still looking around. I’ve about run out of things to do to this car except maybe the brakes. But I have two sets of 19” wheels so that limits my choices a little bit it seems from my initial research.
Old 01-28-2021 | 10:35 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911.
Can you please do some before and after dyno and or Draggy? One thing I simply dont understand with Scotts train of thought is why he wont post dyno graphs. I dont care if you dont make the most power, I want to see what you can do with power delivery. Due to the fact that he wont display any meaningful data I feel his tune is a simple pump of boost and other tables and minor custom tweaks the customer wants to get them out the door.
Spent an hour talking with Scott this afternoon and then ordered my Softronic tune for my 991.2 GTS He answered every question I had and then some. Absolutely satisfied all of my questions, and reassured what I already new / suspected / or taught me what I had no idea about. Highly recommend reaching out if you have questions. His insight is impressive.

Can't wait for spring to get here. But not too quickly as I am not done downhill skiing / touring for this season

Will download the ECU file for Scott and get my tune back and will upload to the MyGenius, but will make sure to do a few Dragy runs on the stock file and then upload the Softronic tune and repeat.

At least I have a few months to find a good stretch of road for testing!
The following 5 users liked this post by thesaintusa:
GT3FZS (01-29-2021), polobai (01-28-2021), SFZ GT3 (02-01-2021), the_buch (01-29-2021), Traind (02-01-2021)
Old 01-29-2021 | 06:39 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Spent an hour talking with Scott this afternoon and then ordered my Softronic tune for my 991.2 GTS He answered every question I had and then some. Absolutely satisfied all of my questions, and reassured what I already new / suspected / or taught me what I had no idea about. Highly recommend reaching out if you have questions. His insight is impressive.

Can't wait for spring to get here. But not too quickly as I am not done downhill skiing / touring for this season

Will download the ECU file for Scott and get my tune back and will upload to the MyGenius, but will make sure to do a few Dragy runs on the stock file and then upload the Softronic tune and repeat.

At least I have a few months to find a good stretch of road for testing!
Awesome. Keep us posted!
Old 01-29-2021 | 09:14 PM
smgkc
Instructor

Hey I'm curious how does Cobb flash vehicles without setting off alarms vs everyone else it seems needs the VIN and somehow puts that into some data base to unlock the CPU (not sure that is right but know I'm not far off). Just kinda interesting as the Cobb is the only unit that holds resale value because of this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going in with the thought of resale value but also its not something to be ignored either.
Old 01-29-2021 | 09:16 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey I'm curious how does Cobb flash vehicles without setting off alarms vs everyone else it seems needs the VIN and somehow puts that into some data base to unlock the CPU (not sure that is right but know I'm not far off). Just kinda interesting as the Cobb is the only unit that holds resale value because of this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going in with the thought of resale value but also its not something to be ignored either.
What do you mean by VIN/database/setting off alarms?

We've been tuning with Cobb for over a decade and I'm drawing a blank here.
Old 01-29-2021 | 09:30 PM
smgkc
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedCircuit
What do you mean by VIN/database/setting off alarms?

We've been tuning with Cobb for over a decade and I'm drawing a blank here.
I'm saying the Cobb AP, at least to my knowledge doesn't need a VIN to tune the ECU, its known that you can make custom tunes based on different factors but every other tuning manufacture needs the VIN to "unlock" the ECU, Cobb does not. This single feature giving the Cobb resale value where other solutions are paperweights for different vehicles beyond the tuned vehicle. I guess at the end of the day my mind wonders if other companies could do the same and add resale value to their solution and choose not to or if Cobb has some secret sauce. If Cobb has figured this out and others haven't then it makes me wonder what else they have unlocked.
Old 01-29-2021 | 09:34 PM
smgkc
Instructor

I'm saying the Cobb AP, at least to my knowledge doesn't need a VIN to tune the ECU, its known that you can make custom tunes based on different factors but every other tuning manufacture needs the VIN to "unlock" the ECU, Cobb does not. This single feature giving the Cobb resale value where other solutions are paperweights for different vehicles beyond the tuned vehicle. I guess at the end of the day my mind wonders if other companies could do the same and add resale value to their solution and choose not to or if Cobb has some secret sauce. If Cobb has figured this out and others haven't then it makes me wonder what else they have unlocked.
I'm not one to keep cars too long (2yr max), it would be nice post-sale to recover something (I count my pennies) or convert it to a 992 by then for a nominal fee.

Not sure how relevant but it was crossing my mind.

Last edited by smgkc; 01-29-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2021 | 08:54 AM
Sarawnty
Instructor

This thread was helpful in pulling various tuning threads into one place. I decided to go with FVD for the following reasons:
1) The at-home tuning solution was a must have for me. I didn’t want my car tied to a dealer network to remove the tune.
2) FVD only does Porsche
3) I was looking for a ‘mild’ tune to compliment the headers, sport cats and air filter - no interest in drag times or maximum horsepower output
The following 5 users liked this post by Sarawnty:
devtec (01-31-2021), DR911s (04-21-2023), GT3FZS (01-31-2021), SFZ GT3 (02-01-2021), Tier1Terrier (01-30-2021)

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Questions (Detailed)