Sponsored by:

ECU Tuning Questions (Detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 06:50 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
Nice. That sounds like a good plan. I am running a Cobb protune and it’s been performing well. My mph in the 1/4 mile is lower than expected (120 mph) but next weekend I will be tearing it apart to check for boost leaks and fix them. Imo I should be around 123/124mph at least based on the power it made on the dyno (466whp or 107whp over stock)
911 T correct with the base sized turbos?

100 rwhp gain nice.

Hope you do find something that you can 'fix' to try and get a better time.

Curious to see how the Dragy compares to your time slips.

Old 02-27-2021, 10:50 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Me as well...I am going to focus on the fittings for the meth and boost sensor as I have a feeling they are not holding all the boost as that’s the only thing that has changed from a boost pressure scenario. Also yes, Carerra t on base turbos...next upgrade is Tial m660s if all goes well.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:31 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Me as well...I am going to focus on the fittings for the meth and boost sensor as I have a feeling they are not holding all the boost as that’s the only thing that has changed from a boost pressure scenario. Also yes, Carerra t on base turbos...next upgrade is Tial m660s if all goes well.
Are you able to data log with the AP to show a drop in boost pressures?

I remember when all the cars had a boost gauge on the A-pillar. Now, we only have it if logging, or on the MFD (but limited to whatever the electronics allow).

Hope it is something simple that you can address. Where you taping sensors and fittings into plastic or metal piping?
Old 02-28-2021, 08:23 AM
polobai
Drifting

Yes, logged and shows no drop in boost however I believe the turbo is able to overcompensate for it. I tapped into the factory y pipe which is plastic. I am thinking the plastic isn’t thick enough to thread as securely into the fittings but I will do a boost leak test to verify.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:04 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Yes, logged and shows no drop in boost however I believe the turbo is able to overcompensate for it. I tapped into the factory y pipe which is plastic. I am thinking the plastic isn’t thick enough to thread as securely into the fittings but I will do a boost leak test to verify.
A small leak the turbos would just spin up faster to compensate.

Have taped into plastic as well before (not on the Porsche) and have not had any issues. Always feel better with a welded bung versus threading into metal assuming the welder knows what they are doing.

Boost test and soapy water will tell you what you need to know

Question is what is the next step if no boost leak?

Did you run your car prior to the tune? The gain in trap speeds would be more useful than pre-post dyno runs as they can still be 'adjusted'.

You clearly gained 100 rwhp, but if the 'peak gain' is 440 or 450 rwhp versus 466 rwhp would be more in keeping with your times.

Keep us informed.
The following users liked this post:
polobai (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 01:32 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Softronic
The 2021 filing isnt even available yet for the CT SOS and while I did a quick search I found many companies with either no filings or several years at one time.

These are a few things about myself:

I check the binary in the PCA Porsche racing for compliance and listed as a sponsor
Former PCA National Racing Scrutineer (Checked cars also mechanically for compliance and found most activity in the CUP Cars)

Made all Porsche Interseries files
Cars in World challenge
PCA Pirelli Series
GTB1
Daytona Cars and others
Assistance for countless Race teams in tuning, mechanics and at track etc

Porsche Master Tech
PCA and PCNA technical expert
Bosch Certified
Siemens Trained
Porsche club former National and Local officer and Editor

Written and been in articles as expert for: Car and Driver, Excellence, Panorama Magazine, Christophorous, Motortrend and others on Porsche including a book with the late Bruce Anderson he updated. One outside of Porsche was with Albert Nofi "Marine Corps Book of Lists"

Texas Mile record cars
Moscow 500 etc

Expert in Porsche engine conversions and proper files made for cars 986,987,987.2,981 and 718. These would be as a rule the Boxster and Cayman cars receiving larger engines yet can also be in the 9 series. I added a pic of one yet its the outside so see if you notice what different in the body and as far as engine it received the 3.8X51 and was for Orbit Racing back in 2005.

and Im sure other ones I forgot....

2006 Cayman GT

The pic below in the signature was Napleton Porsche's winning Daytona car for its series and was software I did for a 3.8 conversion to run maffless
Impressive. (said in Darth Vader's voice)
Is left foot breaking embedded in your software, to be able to autocross without having the computer slow you down
every time you touch brake and accelerator simultaneously in the heat of battle?
Old 03-21-2021, 08:00 PM
SpiderG
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by devtec
No mention of the Litchfield tune?

Highly respected outfit, offered on Cobb AP, can remote tune based on logs, and retune as you add mods. Each retune is $300. Can all be done in your driveway and removed at will.

Many articles on the Litchfield Carrera T in professional publications giving the car a 5/5. Also a few YouTube videos out there.

Tuned for everyday drivability and reliability. Used by the owner Ian Litchfield on his personal Carrera T.

Just throwing it out there, as I was considering this myself. I have to confirm with them that they have a 91 octane version of the tune. Disadvantage is that Litchfield is located in U.K., but mitigated by remote tuning capability and that the tune seems to be solid and ever improving (given that it’s his personal car).

No bias here, just reporting my own research so far. The Litchfield car was what convinced me to buy my T, as the articles demonstrate the incredible growth capability of the 991.2 base platform.

Good luck, all.
I'm a little surprised that it appears that no one has a Litchfield tuned car here given all the positives that you mentioned. The warranty on my car is about to expire, so I've been doing research on ECU tuning and I'm leaning towards Litchfield. Biggest selling point to me is that Litchfield's owner and I have the same car (mine is UK spec as well) plus the driveway install is a must since the car and I are now located in Australia. Will report back with results if I end up going this route.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:43 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 89 Posts

I recently purchased the Litchfield tune with a Cobb AP, and will be starting the custom remote tuning process with Iain Litchfield soon. Will let you all know how it goes.
The following users liked this post:
smgkc (03-25-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 10:58 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 188 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
Is left foot breaking embedded in your software, to be able to autocross without having the computer slow you down
every time you touch brake and accelerator simultaneously in the heat of battle?
Hello,
LFB is not normally added and is requested with race files. The reason being is normally if you apply the brake it limits the throttle usage as its part of the PSM (Porsche Stability Management) . The PSM controls torque by controlling the TP (Throttle Plate) in closing or limiting it so while you may apply the brake and try to apply gas also even at 100% the actual TP may only be at 30%. Now if I applied LFB to a street file this safety feature or torque control would not work and could be an issue if required at some point, perhaps in rainy weather or a sandy road etc.

Best,
Scott
Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:38 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

How much boost pressure are you seeing with this tune?
Old 03-26-2021, 11:43 PM
polobai
Drifting

20 psi or so based on my boost gauge from the meth kit.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:41 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

20 psi or so based on my boost gauge from the meth kit.
Thanks. Sounds about right, at least at peak torque. I suspect the boost tails off a bit at the top end as it does on the stock engine.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:50 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 188 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
We also offer boost added in sport mode only or in both as normal by Porsche or perhaps any special deletes for those special requirements....

Best.
Scott
Old 04-20-2021, 02:00 AM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 06-20-2021, 09:48 AM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by devtec
I recently purchased the Litchfield tune with a Cobb AP, and will be starting the custom remote tuning process with Iain Litchfield soon. Will let you all know how it goes.
@devtec , any update here? Curious to know how it went with Ian and doing so from afar..

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Questions (Detailed)