Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU Tuning Questions (Detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021 | 07:56 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Just general comments:
  • lower power does not mean safer tune. For sure, there is an absolute limit to the bottom-end strength, but where many tunes run afoul is having improper timing and fueling which lead to knock and blown engines. So a higher power proper tune with no knock and good exhaust gas temps is safer than a lower power tune that's getting a lot of knock due to improper timing and/or fueling.
  • years experience working on a product does not always equal being best. Examples, GM launched the EV1 electric car in 1996. And they worked on hybrids, fuel cell, and the Volt afterwards. Does anyone think GM makes a better EV than Tesla which didn't launch the Roadster until 2008? Phones: Motorola, Nokia, Blue Berry were dominate in the 1990s. Anybody think their phones today are better than the iPhone which didn't launch until 2007?
Old 01-11-2021 | 08:43 PM
Rennlist Member

It doesnt sound like you are the type to be tinkering with the tune both ECU and PDK once you have it and youre happy. With that said, I also dont think you need a PDK tune. Unless you are on E85 and GTS + turbos your PDK in stock format will be fine.

My Experience has been with APR. Coming close to a year since I tuned the car. I am waiting for the at home solution, so I can start the car on a dyno and get some power numbers down between stock/91+APR/E85+APR on the same day. Not one issue for me, and you'd never feel the car was tinkered with. <---- I think this will be the reply from most people on here with a tune. However, APR has done the most research on the 991.2 platform and they continue to do it to find the true limits of this platform.

When I was shopping for a tune, softronic had not come out with a tune to market. My options were quickly narrowed down to Cobb and APR. While I want the most out of my car in terms of power, I felt better with the testing and overall amount of time put into the research for the product that APR offered and so I went with them.

Last edited by 911.; 01-11-2021 at 08:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911.:
borivojc (01-19-2021), Trapperj (06-21-2021)
Old 01-11-2021 | 09:04 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Well. All I can say is I have tuned many cars and have been following all of the tuners for a couple years on the 991.2.

Can’t go wrong with any of them but I am probably going with APR once the at home option is approved.

Cobb basically is a turning platform. Their canned tunes are pretty plain vanilla. Latest versions I hear are quite neutered. if you pay for a pro tune, then things could be better but it comes down to the tuner.

Softronic is a great firm. Never heard an issue.

APR laid out a very structured engineering approach to their tune. This is the tune I am going with once I can tune at home.

The following 3 users liked this post by ClassJ:
borivojc (01-19-2021), Sarawnty (01-11-2021), Trapperj (06-21-2021)
Old 01-11-2021 | 11:48 PM
smgkc
Instructor

So i think i might have rushed to judgement by mostly limiting my initial post to Softronic and Cobb, I have gotten a lot of additional research and both APR and FVD are worthy contenders too. However, in terms of me, i still am going to axe APR because they do not have a home tune solution. I have been leaning toward FVD with new information as they are probably the leader in terms of experience with a strong pedigree, they are close to the nest (Porsche Germany), they have three dedicated engineers that have been trained by Bosch and Siemans for Porsche systems, and exclusively work with Porsche vehicles. I dont want to seem like an advertisement for FVD but none of the other company's in the field can claim the same. I haven't formally spoken with them but plan on it and will report back. I have been informed that aftercare with Softronic is non-existant based on a customer that has purchased from them. Owning multiple businesses I find some of the most important information comes from after care. I dont know what after care is like with the others short of FVD, which I am being told is conducted to ensure satisfaction. Once again, this is 2nd hand information that is from conversations with others that have purchased these products, but do feel that the information spoken of was valid.

At this point for me, I think I am down to FVD and Cobb (Pro-Tune). I do think that Cobb Pro Tune is probably the best custom solution in ECU alone, but selecting the right pro-tuner is important and there is extra effort in map, test, evaluate, repeat or find a specific shop that is knowledgeable in this area. I have seen great things and would probably select Sam at ByDesign for the Cobb pro-tune, if i go this route. I think the question now is do I want to go through the effort and expense of protune $1695 Cobb + $1000 for Sam or go with the Semi-Custom tune from FVD for $1500, but might not squeeze every last drop out, but will get me 90% of the way there. I do like that FVD has their own PDK upgrade that is a full PDK revision that I understand to be more comprehensive then the Cobb PDK, however the downside is that the PDK module has to be sent to Germany... which leaves the car inoperable until its returned and reinstalled. This bothers me in the standpoint that it can never really be returned to stock, but I'm never going to complain at options vs no PDK option. I will report back after I hear back from FVD.

Thanks for all the advice and I will keep everyone posted,
Chase

Last edited by smgkc; 01-12-2021 at 12:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
diggiddi (03-14-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 12:10 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Don’t install it if you have this much reservation.

Softtronics is the best.
cooler2442 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 01:18 AM
smgkc
Instructor

I am still making up my mind on installing an ECU tune at all, however I am on a fact finding mission of which solution fits me best and felt that the information out there was insufficient. I like to do as much over the forum as possible to help others that maybe in a similar boat. I think it is really hard to claim one as the best, as each has merit, however I do think I am eliminating solutions based on my individual wants and needs. At the end of the day when we are talking about 100k+ vehicles, we need trust. I do my research on each company/person that is in the running for me and I must say there was a red flag for me with Softronics when I go to Connecticut's Secretary of State's website (https://www.concord-sots.ct.gov/CONC...quiry&eid=9740) and lookup "SOFTRONIC, INC." and see that they were making annual filings from 2007 until 2017, but nothing since 2017, I get fearful again.

Sorry for my hyper critical nature, I have worked with many many many companies and seen good and bad and an SOS search is a must on any company I do business with along usually with a case-net search if its available in the participating state. I believe in knowing about the people I do business with, I have saved myself from multiple high-risk scenarios by doing these checks.

Last edited by smgkc; 01-12-2021 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2021 | 01:34 AM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimwood
Don’t install it if you have this much reservation.

Softtronics is the best.
Can you provide data to back this up?
Old 01-12-2021 | 10:46 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by smgkc
I am still making up my mind on installing an ECU tune at all, however I am on a fact finding mission of which solution fits me best and felt that the information out there was insufficient. I like to do as much over the forum as possible to help others that maybe in a similar boat. I think it is really hard to claim one as the best, as each has merit, however I do think I am eliminating solutions based on my individual wants and needs. At the end of the day when we are talking about 100k+ vehicles, we need trust. I do my research on each company/person that is in the running for me and I must say there was a red flag for me with Softronics when I go to Connecticut's Secretary of State's website (https://www.concord-sots.ct.gov/CONC...quiry&eid=9740) and lookup "SOFTRONIC, INC." and see that they were making annual filings from 2007 until 2017, but nothing since 2017, I get fearful again.

Sorry for my hyper critical nature, I have worked with many many many companies and seen good and bad and an SOS search is a must on any company I do business with along usually with a case-net search if its available in the participating state. I believe in knowing about the people I do business with, I have saved myself from multiple high-risk scenarios by doing these checks.
Im not sure what this has to do with a companies risk or integrity as these filings in CT are just a redundant name and address filings and if you noticed it shows we are an ACTIVE company by SOS so if there was an issue that would have been changed to inactive. Ct had stopped the filing for the Business Entity tax in 2018 and moved the filings for others and stopped notifications for such to save money . So while these are up to date for 2018 and 2019 its again the same information as all the other years name and address . Many companies in CT file these every few years and some not at all after incorporation as most likely they are unaware of them perhaps.

Back to another point Im also trained and certified by Porsche ,Bosch and in Siemens so perhaps that's a bit more unique with Porsche added also....... Ive also been exclusive with Porsche in tuning and mechanics since the early 80's however I also offer some Ferrari tuning.

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Old 01-12-2021 | 11:39 AM
smgkc
Instructor

The training info. is really good information that I don't think was known prior to this thread. I dont mean anything offensive on the SOS filings, but for me its something I check when trust hasn't been established yet. Do the SOS filings talk about your competency in regards to Porsche, not at all, but I feel that SOS is a good metric for seeing history and if everything is current to make sure that there is no question of longevity. I dont know the ways things are done in Connecticut but when I see a filing due date of 2018 and nothing inputed in and we are in 2021, it's not unreasonable to say that there could be something wrong, not necessarily that it is. Coming from the marketing world, I think it would be hugely beneficial to post all certifications, specific experience, and maybe even a number of cars completed on your website; it would definitely add confidence for me and in my book it definitely adds points to Softronic even over ProTuners as I doubt many ProTuners hold these certifications/trainings. On the Softronic website at the top I saw Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, and Audi, I didn't click on anything but Porsche until now but just assumed that you supported each of those brands, but if your R&D is 99% Porsche that adds value too! I don't have enough information to say that anyone now but Softronic and FVD have Bosch and Siemens training specific for Porsche, but I would say this is a differentiator for me and APR and Cobb would need this qualification for me to want to purchase one of their solutions (not sure if they do or not, I checked APR and Cobb's websites). Remember that I am coming into this with moreorless a blank slate and just observing the data that is being put in front of me, none of my comments are meant to be offensive, just to represent the data that I have collected. However it would be helpful to have Softronics input on if Softronics is looking into offering PDK, diverter valves w/ tunes, and if full custom tunes are an option?
Bulldawgfan1000 (01-15-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 12:37 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

To OP:

to have a safe and reliable tune, I would go with those who test properly, ie track and street the test cars or company with wast Porsche experience. Also, just stay with Stage 1 91/93 tune, don’t go for the extra high HP/ E85 tunes etc etc

the top three for reliable tune would be:

APR - they offer nice gains for a 93 and 91 octane fuel and if you buy their 91 octane tune you can also buy with warranty. APR does extensive track testing with their test mules.
VF Engineering/ HEX tune - they were early with their tune and tested on multiple cars, base, S and GTS. They do a lot of high end cars and make safe reliable tune
Softronic- lots of experience with Porsche cars and also focus on good power curves and reliable tune.

per Polobai above, I would not go with Cobb at this time, they are having some issues with their tunes on various platforms.

Last edited by Norge911; 01-12-2021 at 12:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Norge911:
borivojc (01-19-2021), diggiddi (03-14-2021), Trapperj (06-21-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 12:44 PM
polobai
Drifting

I think you should give Softronic a call-they may be able to instill some trust by explaining what goes into their tunes and you can also bring up any specific questions you have to them. To me-that is huge (being able to speak to the person who is actually working the file) rather than someone who may or may not be knowledgeable on a specific platform when they pick up the phone at some of the bigger companies.
borivojc (01-19-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 12:49 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by smgkc
The training info. is really good information that I don't think was known prior to this thread. I dont mean anything offensive on the SOS filings, but for me its something I check when trust hasn't been established yet. Do the SOS filings talk about your competency in regards to Porsche, not at all, but I feel that SOS is a good metric for seeing history and if everything is current to make sure that there is no question of longevity. I dont know the ways things are done in Connecticut but when I see a filing due date of 2018 and nothing inputed in and we are in 2021, it's not unreasonable to say that there could be something wrong, not necessarily that it is. Coming from the marketing world, I think it would be hugely beneficial to post all certifications, specific experience, and maybe even a number of cars completed on your website; it would definitely add confidence for me and in my book it definitely adds points to Softronic even over ProTuners as I doubt many ProTuners hold these certifications/trainings. On the Softronic website at the top I saw Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, and Audi, I didn't click on anything but Porsche until now but just assumed that you supported each of those brands, but if your R&D is 99% Porsche that adds value too! I don't have enough information to say that anyone now but Softronic and FVD have Bosch and Siemens training specific for Porsche, but I would say this is a differentiator for me and APR and Cobb would need this qualification for me to want to purchase one of their solutions (not sure if they do or not, I checked APR and Cobb's websites). Remember that I am coming into this with moreorless a blank slate and just observing the data that is being put in front of me, none of my comments are meant to be offensive, just to represent the data that I have collected. However it would be helpful to have Softronics input on if Softronics is looking into offering PDK, diverter valves w/ tunes, and if full custom tunes are an option?
The 2021 filing isnt even available yet for the CT SOS and while I did a quick search I found many companies with either no filings or several years at one time.

These are a few things about myself:

I check the binary in the PCA Porsche racing for compliance and listed as a sponsor
Former PCA National Racing Scrutineer (Checked cars also mechanically for compliance and found most activity in the CUP Cars)

Made all Porsche Interseries files
Cars in World challenge
PCA Pirelli Series
GTB1
Daytona Cars and others
Assistance for countless Race teams in tuning, mechanics and at track etc

Porsche Master Tech
PCA and PCNA technical expert
Bosch Certified
Siemens Trained
Porsche club former National and Local officer and Editor

Written and been in articles as expert for: Car and Driver, Excellence, Panorama Magazine, Christophorous, Motortrend and others on Porsche including a book with the late Bruce Anderson he updated. One outside of Porsche was with Albert Nofi "Marine Corps Book of Lists"

Texas Mile record cars
Moscow 500 etc

Expert in Porsche engine conversions and proper files made for cars 986,987,987.2,981 and 718. These would be as a rule the Boxster and Cayman cars receiving larger engines yet can also be in the 9 series. I added a pic of one yet its the outside so see if you notice what different in the body and as far as engine it received the 3.8X51 and was for Orbit Racing back in 2005.

and Im sure other ones I forgot....

2006 Cayman GT

The pic below in the signature was Napleton Porsche's winning Daytona car for its series and was software I did for a 3.8 conversion to run maffless

borivojc (01-19-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 12:59 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Also if you have patience, I would wait 1-3 months until APR release their OBD option tune and buy the APR plus, ie their Stage 1 with warranty.

I think that would give you peace of mind.

You can all grow with APR when you feel more comfortable and go with Stage 2, E85, GTS turbos, hybrid turbos etc. the sky is the limit.

good luck with your choice.

Last edited by Norge911; 01-12-2021 at 01:01 PM.
borivojc (01-19-2021)
Old 01-14-2021 | 10:51 AM
smgkc
Instructor

Once again thanks for all of the info. its been a busy couple of days or I would have gotten back sooner. I will look into VF Engineering/ HEX tune as they have not come across my screen yet. I am definitely wanting to stay within the 91/93 tune, I for personal preference want no ethanol and 91 no ethanol is at a top tier gas station close to my house. I don't want to go to extraordinary lengths to get special gas, and I'm not a big fan of ethanol fuels. I was hoping that Softronic's would respond to the three questions I had mentioned for the 3rd time, It doesn't gain my trust when instead of having questions addressed, I am told credentials. The credentials are welcomed, but answers to questions we can't answer are important too.

On my to do list, I want to find out more about APR and FVD, I know FVD has the Bosch and Siemens training for Porsche, but APR is still unknown. Find out if there is additional cost to APR Plus (warranty) and if APR is ok with BMC filter w/ their APR Plus (I doubt there is an issue). I am not sure how the APR tunes work, if they are just a one-size, if APR corporate creates a semi-custom files, or if the APR dealer does the file. If its the dealer, I would want to make certain that they hold the same certifications that FVD and Softronic hold. I believe the ONLY local APR dealer has Porsche experience but need to dig deeper and verify, even though I think if APR is the right solution for me waiting for a home based solution would be preferential. And if APR's warranty is provided in-house or a 3rd party (assess risks for APR) and if they ever pay out in times of need.

I read the powertrain warranty for APR and I actually didn't find it overly limiting, the main thing about it was changing the oil change interval from 10k/1yr to 5k/6mo to maintain their warranty, its transferrable if you sell it which says something that they aren't trying to dump risk as quickly as possible. The only other thing that isn't a big deal for me, but is that you cannot modify your car further without authorization from APR, which is reasonable if they are essentially liable for your vehicle. What is unclear is if the APR Plus (Warranty) is included with the tune or if its additional, on the website it says APR Plus available, which doesn't seem like its included to me. APR does sell the strengthened diverter valves, so there is probably a reason they sell them as what they sell for the 991.2 is very limited.

APR vs FVD, APR has a lot of comfort with their powertrain warranty, however I still think there is something to FVD's experience especially since they are only Porsche. FVD offers a "comprehensive" PDK tune that from my understanding is achieves a lot more then the Cobb achieves with their PDK, however the PDK tune will only work with FVD's ECU tune, no APR ECU with FVD PDK. So FVD has some additional value in additional capabilities with PDK. If APR is writting their own warranty and not a 3rd party, I would think they must feel pretty confident they have a safe tune.

Last edited by smgkc; 01-14-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2021 | 11:07 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To answer the question on the PDK in which we have posted many times on the forums we do not offer one nor do we recommend it either. We could have flashed one for years if we wanted or found it beneficial to its performance and longevity. The same applies to E85 in which has been posted on also and on X pipes, cold air intakes aka hot air intakes etc.... Like Ive been saying call me for information as it would be more beneficial, im not sure what the reason not to would be ?

The reason for mentioning the credentials was because you mentioned a great value in them in one post and now well.... I think the above statement should answer future questions on bolt ons etc without searching and once again you should call the tuners to get the information you want.

You can also buy diverter valves from many companies and every tune is basically custom tuned within reason from us as it depends on what one considers one as these looked like your other two questions.
Best,
Scott

Last edited by Softronic; 01-14-2021 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Text added
borivojc (01-19-2021)

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Questions (Detailed)