Sponsored by:

ECU Tuning Questions (Detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 06:18 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by smgkc
Keep us posted on your results in spring. I am in no rush either however if work ever lets up ill probably make my decision in a week or so. I'm absolutely fine with myGenius, i think thats superior to professional install/update.
My only gripe with the MyGenius is why they all need to be updated. Why can't they update the firmware before selling?

Or was there a HUGE shipment to North America with old firmware and they have been sitting in warehouses for YEARS? <---I suspect this is probably what happened. Looking at the electronics involved probably $20 of material and the R&D costs were recouped a LONG time ago.

But agree that MyGenius worked just fine for my needs and was 10 minutes to swap tunes in the garage. Much more convenient than needing a dealer.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:25 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Although I would not go with a Cobb solution using the current OTS maps, to me-having something in hand to resell afterwards in the event you get rid of the car gives me some piece of mind. Love the results and testing/calibration with the APR tunes, but I would kick myself if I paid for a tune and then had to get rid of my car for whatever reason and just lost all the money spent on the tune since there is nothing to recoup. Case in point for me-I had a 981 gt4 with a cobb pro tune. I traded the GT4, then was going to sell my accessport and purchase one for the 991.2. Luck has it that I was able to send my accessport back to Cobb and they upgraded it to work on the 991.2 platform for a few hundred dollars. Had I gone with a OBD2 dealer tune, I would have had to buy an entire new tuning solution for the 991.2.
The following users liked this post:
gavram (02-07-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 08:21 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

I will be reusing the MyGenius I already have for one of my vehicles.

Better than a kick in the head.
polobai (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 08:34 PM
smgkc
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Slightly off-topic. but cant you use either a Cobb AP or a MyGenius to clear maintenance lights? Also been considering a NAV-TV (for audio upgrade), I believe you need an OBD solution to add it, maybe MyGenius would solve that problem as well.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:44 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
FWIW I will go with a Softronic Tune this Spring for the 911 GTS. The MyGenius is nothing fancy, but works. Have used it for my C63, and will be using the same setup (different MyGenius) when tuning my E63s.

Picked up a Dragy yesterday, waiting for Spring to come. For some reason I was envisioning a device 5x as large. The size of a stick of gum.

Not in too much of a hurry as I love winter for the skiing
Can you please do some before and after dyno and or Draggy? One thing I simply dont understand with Scotts train of thought is why he wont post dyno graphs. I dont care if you dont make the most power, I want to see what you can do with power delivery. Due to the fact that he wont display any meaningful data I feel his tune is a simple pump of boost and other tables and minor custom tweaks the customer wants to get them out the door.
Bulldawgfan1000 (01-28-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 08:52 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

If you can wait for spring to arrive in Canada will post Dragy results.

I only view a dyno as a tuning tool. As I won't be 'tuning' will stick with Dragy, mainly to see how much slower my car is than my buddies McLaren. Bench racing FTW. haha.

FWIW I had my Subaru pro-tuned and it was on the dyno for several hours, run after run after run In that case I was all for a dyno

Last edited by thesaintusa; 01-26-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:55 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Slightly off-topic. but cant you use either a Cobb AP or a MyGenius to clear maintenance lights? Also been considering a NAV-TV (for audio upgrade), I believe you need an OBD solution to add it, maybe MyGenius would solve that problem as well.
Used the AP to read codes / data log and clear codes (along with uploading pre loaded tunes etc).

Have only used MyGenius for changing tunes, never looked into seeing if it could read or clear codes / CEL..
Old 01-26-2021, 09:06 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

I only view a dyno as a tuning tool.
I wonder if Scott at Softtronic has the same view.

I can wait. I have no qualms in this as I am APR tuned. But would like to see as much data as as possible.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:15 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Will report / create a thread when tuned and spring arrives.

As for the Dragy unit, for some reason I envisioned it being much larger, but it is the size of a pack of gum / size of my thumb.

I have seen some pretty creative things happen with dyno runs. They are great for working on a tune / versus street tuning. But at the end of the day the data from 1/4 mile, 60-130 mph etc are telling and the Dragy unit seems very consistent between runs, and correlates very closely with drag strips. Downside to running on the street is traction, so the 60-130 mph run helps eliminate that.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:20 AM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Afte skimming this post, the most obvious suggestion from my point of view for the OP is to buy a power powerful car and call it a day. Many won’t buy a tuned car on the secondary market because of potential issues. And many don’t need more power. Why did you buy the C4? Price and ability to tune. Buy a 991.2 4GTS. Or at least take one for a drive. I think you will be very unhappy if you have problems post tune.
Because for $1500-$1700 you can make more than S power with a base Carrera, and save $15K in the process.

Problems post-tune are very rare.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:24 AM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I suspect the failure rate is well below 1%.
Bingo. It almost never happens.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:57 AM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 89 Posts

No mention of the Litchfield tune?

Highly respected outfit, offered on Cobb AP, can remote tune based on logs, and retune as you add mods. Each retune is $300. Can all be done in your driveway and removed at will.

Many articles on the Litchfield Carrera T in professional publications giving the car a 5/5. Also a few YouTube videos out there.

Tuned for everyday drivability and reliability. Used by the owner Ian Litchfield on his personal Carrera T.

Just throwing it out there, as I was considering this myself. I have to confirm with them that they have a 91 octane version of the tune. Disadvantage is that Litchfield is located in U.K., but mitigated by remote tuning capability and that the tune seems to be solid and ever improving (given that it’s his personal car).

No bias here, just reporting my own research so far. The Litchfield car was what convinced me to buy my T, as the articles demonstrate the incredible growth capability of the 991.2 base platform.

Good luck, all.

Last edited by devtec; 01-31-2021 at 10:46 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by devtec:
GT3FZS (01-28-2021), the_buch (01-27-2021), uphoto (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 02:38 PM
smgkc
Instructor

I got a few moments and was able to speak with the tech dept at APR, I just called the normal number went through the prompts and it took about 10 seconds for someone to answer. I was very impressed with the gentleman's answers to my questions as he had no prep time and didn't know what I would be asking. I updated a couple things on the pro/con list for APR, but was able to confirm that a home-based solution is coming (maybe summer 2021, but no promises). At the bottom there is a table of HP & Torque claims from each company, where it says "(calculated)", i increased their percentage gains to the stock numbers with a calculator. The Cobb numbers seemed a little fishy there still but i put what they posted. Ignoring the Cobb, Softronics has the largest power and torque output by ~2% on HP and ~8% Torque to the next closest tuning solution. The chart (at the bottom) didn't copy and past as well as I would have liked it to but i think its still readable. I will continue to call other companies as I get time but here is what I have so far for updates.

FVD:

Pro:

Porsche only company based in Germany

Quality R&D Budget (3 engineers on staff)

Bosch & Siemens trained for Porsche Specific

$1500 is comparable to APR & Softronics

They posted on RL saying 10% disc to Rennlist members (I think its still valid)

30-day Guarantee

Con:

No Warranty

No Full Custom Tune

Unknown:

APR:

Pro:

Powertrain Warranty available

Quality R&D Budget

$1500 is comparable to FVD & Softronics

30-day Guarantee

Porsche’s on site for testing purposes

Customer Service + (Quick call answer and thorough answers to my questions, without prep work)

Con:

No Home Solution (Confirmed its coming Estimate. Summer 2021)

No PDK Option

Any mods for warranty need to have written authorization from APR (I get it but have an approved parts list)

No Full Custom Tune (Claim that for stock its pretty spot on)

Not Porsche Specific

Powertrain Warranty $1500 Extra

Softronics

Pro:

Largest HP & Torque Gains

Home Based Install

Full Custom Tune

Con:

$95 more then APR/FVD

No Warranty

Unknown:

Quality R&D Budget?

Cobb/Linchfield:

Pro:

Quality R&D Budget

Accessport is superior to other devices

Limited PDK Tuning Upgrade Available ($700)

30-day Guarantee

Full Custom Tune Included (SpeedCircuit)

Home Based Install

Linchfield Tune Available (£600.00/$830)

Con:

No Warranty

$1695

No Bosch & Siemens trained for Porsche Specific

Firmware has seemed questionable at times

More work for Custom Tune vs Semi-Custom (Not anyones fault)

Rumored that current FW version has less power than older FW versions

Unknown:

Custom tunes are rumored to be 100% based around the OTS maps, does this really make them more valuable? - What happens after FW update?

VF Engineering/ HEX tune

+50-60HP/+90-100WTQ

Pro:

Quality R&D Budget

Online About us:

VF Engineering has been located in Orange County, CA for nearly 20 years now. Our facility measures some 15,000 sq-ft and includes a Mustang AWD 500 chassis dyno, 4 Hunter lifts, a big photo studio, R&D room with a rapid prototyper, and a clean room for ECU board work. We’ve also got this big-*** red couch. Not sure where it came from but it has a magical effect on cars. They always make a few extra hp when the red couch is there.

Con:

No Warranty

No Full Custom Tune

$2300

Less Gains than APR or FVD

Dealer Only

Unknown:

Last edited by smgkc; 01-27-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:57 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 188 Likes on 98 Posts

Softronics

Pro:

Largest HP & Torque Gains

Home Based Install

Con:

$95 more then APR/FVD

No Warranty

No Full Custom Tune

Unknown:

Quality R&D Budget?

Well I wanted to make a correction in that we do offer full custom tuning and always have and it has always been listed on the website. Granted it doesnt specifically list the 991 platform yet it still applies. https://www.softronicsoftware.com/po...m-race-tuning/

As far as R&D that's subjective on what the company or employee's already know as you dont research a known and some companies may need more people to fill that lack of knowledge. So would 5 people looking for an answer be better than the one that knows it?

Like Ive said calling or emailing would have answered the questions .....

Scott
Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:08 PM
smgkc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Softronic
Well I wanted to make a correction in that we do offer full custom tuning and always have and it has always been listed on the website. Granted it doesnt specifically list the 991 platform yet it still applies. https://www.softronicsoftware.com/po...m-race-tuning/

As far as R&D that's subjective on what the company or employee's already know as you dont research a known and some companies may need more people to fill that lack of knowledge. So would 5 people looking for an answer be better than the one that knows it?

Like Ive said calling or emailing would have answered the questions .....

Scott
I made the correction on the full custom tunes, as for R&D employee knowledge and experience is a must however I think of R&D as anything else associated in the building or evaluation of the product, be it tech, trainings, a vehicle itself, sensors, software, etc. R&D can be very expensive, its nice to know that moreorless whatever the cost there is R&D budget to afford get to the grotto without shortcuts.

I still believe my above points hold true as for answering questions publicly, not sure how forum is much different from an email short of not public.

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Questions (Detailed)