Sponsored by:

ECU Tuning Questions (Detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 07:01 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Softronic
Well I wanted to make a correction in that we do offer full custom tuning and always have and it has always been listed on the website. Granted it doesnt specifically list the 991 platform yet it still applies. https://www.softronicsoftware.com/po...m-race-tuning/

As far as R&D that's subjective on what the company or employee's already know as you dont research a known and some companies may need more people to fill that lack of knowledge. So would 5 people looking for an answer be better than the one that knows it?

Like Ive said calling or emailing would have answered the questions .....

Scott
Scott, you have extraordinary patience with some of these people.
I would only put your tune in my cars. You are the man.
I wonder how many of these avitars (not all) actually do anything other than spout out bovine sierra.
The following users liked this post:
MichaelKlein (08-10-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 07:41 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by justbob
Exhaust note is unchanged silly man. You must have misunderstood my definition of what SCREAM is.
Much improved drive ability, .90 G's pushing you back in the seat. and the feel of a low 11 quarter mile.
That's SCREAM to me.
@justbob Great to hear. Any objective measurements of the gains?

Can't wait for spring to arrive to drive with the new tune, but sad to see spring coming and downhill skiing end
Old 02-23-2021, 07:56 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by justbob
Exhaust note is unchanged silly man. You must have misunderstood my definition of what SCREAM is.
Much improved drive ability, .90 G's pushing you back in the seat. and the feel of a low 11 quarter mile.
That's SCREAM to me.
I was teasing ya a bit. Glad you are enjoying, and this isnt directed at you but its the same broken record of 'feels great' 'much fast' and when asked to post some data. 'Crickets' or "dynos are fake" or something along the lines of that.

Cobb and APR has been pulling 1.3+ G's back and has data to back it up. And already have cars in the 9 sec 1/4.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:55 PM
justbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911.
I was teasing ya a bit. Glad you are enjoying, and this isnt directed at you but its the same broken record of 'feels great' 'much fast' and when asked to post some data. 'Crickets' or "dynos are fake" or something along the lines of that.

Cobb and APR has been pulling 1.3+ G's back and has data to back it up. And already have cars in the 9 sec 1/4.
Oh my, it's good to know you were teasing, haha. For a second I thought you were some sort of smart ***.
My bad.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:19 PM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

First post! Interesting thread to read through!
I just got a 2018 991.2. It's still under warranty, so not sure if I want to pull the trigger at this time on an ECU mod. Thoughts on that are welcome.

I am leaning towards Softtronic but also wanted to know a little more on COBBs solution - I read through this thread and have read elsewhere that they dropped the performance gains on their latest tune with some pretty pissed off people as a result. Any idea why they dropped performance?
Old 02-25-2021, 12:46 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Not entirely sure but my guess is that the initial OTS maps for Cobb were a bit aggressive for most and lost the linear feel the car had from the factory.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:18 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelKlein
First post! Interesting thread to read through!
I just got a 2018 991.2. It's still under warranty, so not sure if I want to pull the trigger at this time on an ECU mod. Thoughts on that are welcome.

I am leaning towards Softtronic but also wanted to know a little more on COBBs solution - I read through this thread and have read elsewhere that they dropped the performance gains on their latest tune with some pretty pissed off people as a result. Any idea why they dropped performance?
Welcome!

If you want a warranty and a tune, you'll have to go with the APR+ tune. They offer a 2-year warranty with their 91 octane tune for $3000 (it's a $1500 premium for the warranty). You can upgrade to the 93 octane tune after the two year warranty is up for free.
This is more than likely what I'm going to do as my car is CPO and has two years left on the warranty.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:30 PM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Originally Posted by polobai
Not entirely sure but my guess is that the initial OTS maps for Cobb were a bit aggressive for most and lost the linear feel the car had from the factory.
Is that the same with the Softtronic tune?
Old 02-25-2021, 02:57 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

Is that the same with the Softtronic tune?
Don't know, no one has dyno'd a car before/after with the Softtronic tune. The original COBB Off The Shelf map gave it all the boost, limited by fuel octane, in the mid-range. I want to say around 26psi, so a monster mid-range torque that fell off on the top-end due to baby turbos. The revised tunes are more like 20-22psi in the mid-range. FVD has a mild tune, more inline with the updated COBB tunes, based on the dyno info FVD has provided. APR, if I recall, has the most torque and ramp it in a bit later/smoother to give a more linear feel. With the COBB, you can go to an authorized COBB tuner and get a ProTune and tweak the feel of the tune to however you like. As for as engine breathing and sound mods, equal length headers and high flow cats on the exhaust side, air inlet tubes and intercoolers on the other side of the turbos. Lots of info in threads. Vektor headers, Soul cats, Tial inlet tubes.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:39 PM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Seems like @justbob might know. How do you find the Softtronic tune? linear? Lots of mid-range? Whats your thoughts?

Old 02-25-2021, 03:53 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Will be posting pre tune and post tune (Softronic) Dragy numbers when snow, gravel, sand and snow disappear.

Speaking the Scott (Softronic) for a few hrs total answered all my questions and was reason I went that route.
Also a huge + for being able to tune at home.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:17 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Will be posting pre tune and post tune (Softronic) Dragy numbers when snow, gravel, sand and snow disappear.

Speaking the Scott (Softronic) for a few hrs total answered all my questions and was reason I went that route.
Also a huge + for being able to tune at home.
awesome! Will be good to see some real world data
Old 02-26-2021, 03:09 PM
justbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
@justbob Great to hear. Any objective measurements of the gains?

Can't wait for spring to arrive to drive with the new tune, but sad to see spring coming and downhill skiing end
Need more time to work out the launch as I got a lot of wheel spin.100% stock but SOFTRONIC street tune. I only got in one pass.
MPH was 127.

Last edited by justbob; 02-26-2021 at 03:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by justbob:
polobai (02-26-2021), thesaintusa (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 03:16 PM
justbob
Instructor

Seems like @justbob might know. How do you find the Softtronic tune? linear? Lots of mid-range? Whats your thoughts?
See the time slip
Street trim 36 Lbs in the rear tires and half tank of gas.
With a few more passes and some different things, might hit the 10"s
Old 02-26-2021, 03:16 PM
Call911Please
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all I recently purchased a 991.2 Base with PDK and put on an APR stage 1 tune with 93 octane. Here to answer any questions and compare notes.

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Questions (Detailed)