Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 pricing is out of control right now

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021 | 04:00 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Originally Posted by BradtheAg
Its only going to get worse with trillions more in stimulus on the way. More than 20% of all USD in existence was created out of thin air in 2020. Inflation isn't showing up in CPI yet, but it is absolutely showing up in premium products as others have pointed out. Sports cars, nice watches, beach houses, fine art etc. all exploding in price. This will eventually make its way into normal everyday products as well, and its going to be very painful for lots of people. It would not surprise me if USD loses 10% of its purchasing power each year for the next few years.

If you want a 911 and have the cash available, I would probably go ahead and pull the trigger now.
Have been following this thread more out of curiosity. This is a very strange time and it's going to get stranger. Premium items are going up in price. Stock prices & homes are rocking. Guess it should not be a surprise that other premium products are going up as well. Took a look at Autotrader and was surprised at the boost in average price levels on used 991 TTS's compared to when we pulled the trigger in August. We were in the right place at the right moment and got a screaming deal on a 2014 TTS . Looking at Autotrader, I'd have to pay 25-30K more for the same car today.

I agree with the above post, if you have the money available now it may not be a bad time to plunge ahead.
Old 01-11-2021 | 05:03 PM
afk
Racer

general comment :

theres a difference between wanting a car, shopping for it -- and owning one.
If you really want to own a 911 -then- 5-10k should not make a difference when you find the RIGHT one -- at least thats my experience .... I was on the sidelines for over a year -- then finally my wife was fed up with my shopping and just said get one or stop wasting time.

cheap is not always better....

this is just my experience .... btw - ive loved my car for the past 2.5 years its a blast .... much better than window shopping for one...

ie ... either be serious about buying a 911 -- or alternatively search craigslist for antiques and other great buys ..... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by afk; 01-11-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2021 | 05:22 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

I spotted a nice new 2021 BMW X3 M the other day for my wife. Nice discount so I said ok have your guy take a look at this 60k mile 2013 X5. 12.5K for it !!! So I'm about to write a check like I always do then the lady said "Oh, finance it through BMW for another 1.2K off". Huh? Yeah at what interest rate? "2.9%" !!! OMG I'm not about to take money out of the stock market making far more than 2.9% (over the long term). Drove off with it soon after.

Old 01-11-2021 | 05:46 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Gary

Agree 100% on your financial decision to finance at 2.9 vs pay cash. Looked around last year and found a slightly higher rate, except it qualified as a second mortgage so it's a deductible expense.

Unless your roads in SC are smooth as glass, you may regret the X3 M. I test drove one a couple of months ago and found the engine and drive train to be spot on. The ride quality sucked as every harsh crack in the pavement or pot hole produced a noticeable pop right up through the body. If you look on all the online car sights you will find a ton of 1 year old used X3M's & Competitions for sale. People just got tired of the ****ty ride and dumped them for something else.
Old 01-11-2021 | 05:48 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by afk
general comment :

theres a difference between wanting a car, shopping for it -- and owning one.
If you really want to own a 911 -then- 5-10k should not make a difference when you find the RIGHT one -- at least thats my experience .... I was on the sidelines for over a year -- then finally my wife was fed up with my shopping and just said get one or stop wasting time.

cheap is not always better....

this is just my experience .... btw - ive loved my car for the past 2.5 years its a blast .... much better than window shopping for one...

ie ... either be serious about buying a 911 -- or alternatively search craigslist for antiques and other great buys ..... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If it's the right car then you will regret losing out on it more than paying the market value. Good cars priced at market value do not sit. These are toys and not necessities so if you want one then just cough up the market value. They are worth it.
The following users liked this post:
afk (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021 | 05:57 PM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Scheduled a PPI with a local a Porsche dealership for that blue C2S. If the PPI comes back great and clean then I’ll consider it an awesome buy for 50k.

the seller already takes the car to this the dealership and they pulled his vehicle history and contact information for me. Seems legit so far.
Old 01-11-2021 | 06:34 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwexpat
Gary

Unless your roads in SC are smooth as glass, you may regret the X3 M. I test drove one a couple of months ago and found the engine and drive train to be spot on. The ride quality sucked as every harsh crack in the pavement or pot hole produced a noticeable pop right up through the body. If you look on all the online car sights you will find a ton of 1 year old used X3M's & Competitions for sale. People just got tired of the ****ty ride and dumped them for something else.
I'm going to take a wild guess in your test drive you did not take the time to adjust the many settings. For starters, on the steering wheel there are two levers near the paddles that read M1 and M2. They are programmable and I set the M1 settings to mainly Comfort settings and the M2 to mainly Sport and some of the settings offer choices in between. They tweak -
  • DSC
  • M xDrive (Dependent on model)
  • Engine
  • Chassis
  • Steering
  • Transmission
  • Head-up Display
I use mainly M1 except when at our mountain home I use M2.

Let's just say I (and more importantly the wife) are well pleased. Thanks anyway.
Old 01-11-2021 | 07:09 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Glad you are satisfied.

I did have it in comfort mode, but the roads in California are crap. Freeway hop, broken pavement, and lets not forget the earth is constantly moving under our feet do not make for smooth roads.
Old 01-11-2021 | 07:23 PM
Yc911Kid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I spotted a nice new 2021 BMW X3 M the other day for my wife. Nice discount so I said ok have your guy take a look at this 60k mile 2013 X5. 12.5K for it !!! So I'm about to write a check like I always do then the lady said "Oh, finance it through BMW for another 1.2K off". Huh? Yeah at what interest rate? "2.9%" !!! OMG I'm not about to take money out of the stock market making far more than 2.9% (over the long term). Drove off with it soon after.

must be a 2021. If 2020 leftover then it's like 4k off & 0.9 or 1.9 apr. Pretty aggressive deal.
Old 01-11-2021 | 07:51 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Glad you are satisfied.

I did have it in comfort mode, but the roads in California are crap. Freeway hop, broken pavement, and lets not forget the earth is constantly moving under our feet do not make for smooth roads.
Comfort mode is one thing, configuring M1 and M2 paddles quite another.

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
must be a 2021. If 2020 leftover then it's like 4k off & 0.9 or 1.9 apr. Pretty aggressive deal.
Yes very few 2020s anywhere. I did not want a 0 mile year old car anyway.
Old 01-12-2021 | 12:49 PM
OMTarga4S
Instructor

Unhappy

Originally Posted by digitalwiz
GL Buddy.
I woke up to a "you snooze you lose" email from the dealer. The car was sold on Saturday, back to the search I go.
Old 01-12-2021 | 02:06 PM
goose1207
Intermediate

Excellent choice. We have an X3M competition as our daily driver. The tires make all the difference with the ride quality. OEM Conti's for the summer are stiff but the Pirelli Scorporion winter tires give a nice, compliant ride.
Old 01-12-2021 | 02:47 PM
slimmn
Instructor

Gary

Agree 100% on your financial decision to finance at 2.9 vs pay cash. Looked around last year and found a slightly higher rate, except it qualified as a second mortgage so it's a deductible expense.
I thought you can't deduct second mortgage anymore unless it's related to actual home remodeling? Or did I misunderstood?
Old 01-12-2021 | 03:40 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

We bought our X3M in Oct '19. Loaded 84,395 msrp for 72ish + ttl @2.99%. I did my research on tires before the purchase. Living in PA, my wife needed to be able to drive in snow. I did not want to go the route of changing wheel/tires seasonally. I've done that before. At the time there were no stock all-seasons in the factory size. So I changed from 255/40, 265/40 front and rear to 265/40, 295/35, which were available in all-seasons. I may have been the first to do this, at least I was on the X3M forum. This size fills out the wheel well better.

Also. When the money supply increases 25% in one year it seems to push prices up...who would have thunk?

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 01-12-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-12-2021 | 04:00 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goose1207
Excellent choice. We have an X3M competition as our daily driver. The tires make all the difference with the ride quality. OEM Conti's for the summer are stiff but the Pirelli Scorporion winter tires give a nice, compliant ride.
Glad to hear you achieved a "nice, compliant ride" with the stiffer Competition model.

Quick Reply: 991 pricing is out of control right now