Sponsored by:

991 pricing is out of control right now

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 10:29 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by PAPorscheGuy
Low-mileage 2019 991.2s selling for close to original MSRP?
They are certainly listed close to original MSRP - Targas anyway as that’s the only thing I’m keeping an eye on. I’ve seen 2-3 cars that have been sitting for months, where the dealers have actually raised the asking prices recently. Seems odd that they would raise the price after the car has been on the lot for three months...

Here’s the ad for the $162k MSRP car with “sale pending” and an ask price of $159k: http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/222bf210

Last edited by PTSFX; 01-24-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:37 AM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ99B5
They are certainly listed close to original MSRP - Targas anyway as that’s the only thing I’m keeping an eye on. I’ve seen 2-3 cars that have been sitting for months, where the dealers have actually raised the asking prices recently.
Thats incredible. Targas are so hot now. One of the reasons I ask is that I recently found and fell in love with my perfect spec 2019 C2S MT with less than 2K miles. Had to have it and paid about 85% of MSRP. That’s as much as a new base car, and thought I may be crazy but I couldn’t help myself. I love the 991 and not the 992.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:41 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Low-mileage 2019 991.2s selling for close to original MSRP?
Seems that way. I have very low miles on mine (another story for another day) and I have agreed value insurance at MSRP on it. I don’t see a reason to drop the number given the market.

I have already been burnt by regular insurance companies in the case of a total loss and been left without enough money to replace a car. Not subjecting myself to that again.
The following users liked this post:
PAPorscheGuy (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 11:48 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by uphoto
This has actually been a very helpful topic and thread, thank you, everyone.

I'm officially in the market! I'm going to do this, just get the car I really want and cost be damned to an extent.

I have a deposit down on this one https://chambers.porschedealer.com/u...rader_listings

and am in talks with this car too https://www.responsemotors.com/used-...rrera-s-c-592/

but not sure which one I would really want, tough to do being in an area with no cars to test drive.

For a cab, I'd say you're better off with the .1 GTS. I saw your later post that you're not a fan of the power delivery on the turbo cars, and that's fair- but it would be best if you made sure it was apples to apples before you decided for certain because the PDK and manual power deliveries are totally different. For me, the extra punch down low makes the manual experience much better. But to each their own; and the sound is extra important in a top down experience so yeah, if I was shopping for a cab I'd be leaning heavily towards the .1... but actually I'd pick a Boxster GTS 4.0/Spyder (the 981s are amazing too) for a convertible if you could live without back seats.

The Alcantara delete is another area where you'll get widely varying opinions. I am definitely a member of team GTS package. I honestly think that a GTS without the interior package is a wasted opportunity. Just get an S if you need cooled seats; the GTS interior is amazing unless you just really hate Alcantara... but that's just me.

One final thing you really need to consider, is why that GTS isn't certified. It's a manual car and a DME report is an absolute MUST. My guess, the DME report may not be favorable. You have to question any car at a Porsche dealer that isn't certified.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:12 PM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by manifold danger
For a cab, I'd say you're better off with the .1 GTS. I saw your later post that you're not a fan of the power delivery on the turbo cars, and that's fair- but it would be best if you made sure it was apples to apples before you decided for certain because the PDK and manual power deliveries are totally different. For me, the extra punch down low makes the manual experience much better. But to each their own; and the sound is extra important in a top down experience so yeah, if I was shopping for a cab I'd be leaning heavily towards the .1... but actually I'd pick a Boxster GTS 4.0/Spyder (the 981s are amazing too) for a convertible if you could live without back seats.

The Alcantara delete is another area where you'll get widely varying opinions. I am definitely a member of team GTS package. I honestly think that a GTS without the interior package is a wasted opportunity. Just get an S if you need cooled seats; the GTS interior is amazing unless you just really hate Alcantara... but that's just me.

One final thing you really need to consider, is why that GTS isn't certified. It's a manual car and a DME report is an absolute MUST. My guess, the DME report may not be favorable. You have to question any car at a Porsche dealer that isn't certified.
Great stuff manifold. Good catch and comment on on the transmission. It’s already been said in this thread, but MT is required for me, trumps all other specs, and I agree it’s perfect on a .2. Do you simply ask the Porsche dealer for the DME report? Is there another way to find it? Must admit I over reved a few times when I was getting used to how quickly it gets to the redline. I personally don’t share your love for Alcantara though I must say it combines well with the glass roof to make a great headliner on my C2S coupe.

Last edited by PAPorscheGuy; 01-24-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:37 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 134 Posts

great point, that’s one item I’m waiting for on Monday (DME).

they said they didn’t do CPO automatically because it would have out the offering price over $90k and would have turned off potential buyers. They offered to add CPO for an additional cost. My offer to them has the CPO included.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:52 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

This post is why I read Rennlist. I was just thinking yesterday about this. I’ve had both manual / pdk in NA /Turbo 911s and while I’m a manual guy everyday all day, the pdk feels more well suited for the .1 and the manual feels better suited for the turbos simply from a power delivery standpoint. As much as I love manual, I miss my NA .1 PDK.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:31 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Great stuff manifold. Good catch and comment on on the transmission. It’s already been said in this thread, but MT is required for me, trumps all other specs, and I agree it’s perfect on a .2. Do you simply ask the Porsche dealer for the DME report? Is there another way to find it? Must admit I over reved a few times when I was getting used to how quickly it gets to the redline. I personally don’t share your love for Alcantara though I must say it combines well with the glass roof to make a great headliner on my C2S coupe.
Alcantara is subjective, I get that. I myself thought I didn't like it until I ended up with my previous 981 Boxster GTS, and found I adored it. It is more important to keep up with keeping it clean; it's not that it "gets dirtier" than leather you just notice the dirt much more with Alcantara. It's actually easier to keep clean and maintained though, as there's no need to condition it. PROTIP: just don't get overly aggressive with the cleaning. You can damage it pretty easily if you're a dumbass like me.

As for the DME report, to my knowledge it must be done at a Porsche dealer but yes, you should be able to just ask for it. I have to assume it would be done as part of any used car reconditioning process, but if it isn't for some reason I would make it a point to ask for ANY car I was looking at, especially a manual.

Which brings me to another point; just bouncing off the rev limiter is NOT an overrev. The rev limiter is there to protect the engine, and that's exactly what it does when you just rev too high before shifting. It might trigger a zone 1 (or zone 0, can't remember now), but neither of those are considered noteworthy when it comes to assessing if an engine has been put in a dangerous situation. A "true" overrev is zone 3 or higher on a DME report, and is only accomplished by a "moneyshift"; i.e., shifting into a lower gear that is mechanically beyond the limits of the current speed you're traveling. It can only be done in a manual transmission (to my knowledge). There should be TONS of good content on these boards; arguably too much which is why I offered my brief synopsis. As with anything you read on the internet, take with a grain of salt and cross-reference with multiple data points/sources.

Originally Posted by uphoto
great point, that’s one item I’m waiting for on Monday (DME).

they said they didn’t do CPO automatically because it would have out the offering price over $90k and would have turned off potential buyers. They offered to add CPO for an additional cost. My offer to them has the CPO included.
This kind of makes sense, but what it seems to me is they just want a quick turnaround. I really, really don't think it would do much to "turn off potential buyers"; I mean, just look this and the HFS thread. You seem to be all over it from a due diligence perspective though, and you have a deposit so it shouldn't be going anywhere. If all checks out, that GTS is a great buy and actually seems pretty fair for the current market. I would encourage you to consider going ahead and getting it certified. Should only tack on a few grand and give you tons of peace of mind.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:01 PM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

As for the DME report, to my knowledge it must be done at a Porsche dealer but yes, you should be able to just ask for it. I have to assume it would be done as part of any used car reconditioning process, but if it isn't for some reason I would make it a point to ask for ANY car I was looking at, especially a manual.

Which brings me to another point; just bouncing off the rev limiter is NOT an overrev. The rev limiter is there to protect the engine, and that's exactly what it does when you just rev too high before shifting. It might trigger a zone 1 (or zone 0, can't remember now), but neither of those are considered noteworthy when it comes to assessing if an engine has been put in a dangerous situation. A "true" overrev is zone 3 or higher on a DME report, and is only accomplished by a "moneyshift"; i.e., shifting into a lower gear that is mechanically beyond the limits of the current speed you're traveling. It can only be done in a manual transmission (to my knowledge). There should be TONS of good content on these boards; arguably too much which is why I offered my brief synopsis. As with anything you read on the internet, take with a grain of salt and cross-reference with multiple data points/sources.
Thanks. Once again helpful, and I now feel better about the rev limited upshifts. The downshifts have not been a problem as I tend to back off before I over rev. Will request DMEs moving forward because I want this car to be heavily documented.

Last edited by PAPorscheGuy; 01-24-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:32 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts

Went through the same process when we bought our 991 in August. Original negotiated price was without CPO. As the previous owner was meticulous about service and had everything done at the dealership, the dealership had all the service history of the car on-hand. They performed the CPO inspection and found the 991 required nothing to meet the criteria for CPO. The base charge for the 2 year CPO warranty ended up costing $4K. if items were found that required replacement such as tires or brake pads etc. they would have been added to the base cost. Hoping your GTS is actually a clean car so the CPO cost does not get out of hand.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:11 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwexpat
Went through the same process when we bought our 991 in August. Original negotiated price was without CPO. As the previous owner was meticulous about service and had everything done at the dealership, the dealership had all the service history of the car on-hand. They performed the CPO inspection and found the 991 required nothing to meet the criteria for CPO. The base charge for the 2 year CPO warranty ended up costing $4K. if items were found that required replacement such as tires or brake pads etc. they would have been added to the base cost. Hoping your GTS is actually a clean car so the CPO cost does not get out of hand.

And this is good?
Old 01-24-2021, 05:41 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts

Yes it is good. Happy to pay $4K for 2 years of extended warranty on a 7 year old TTS with 66,000 miles. If nothing goes wrong in 2 years, insurance provider wins. If something fails, breaks it's not hard to hit a $5K + expense. In that case I come out ahead and if the car proves problematic I can get out for what paid for it in todays market. To me it's cheap insurance and peace of mind for 2 years.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:11 PM
991RMX
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts

I've got a 992 on order, and I'm trading my 991.1 in a month. I don't want to go through the hassle of selling it and haggling. Trading will be a pain, but I have a good idea where I stand. I will miss the sound and color, but I think I'll like the 992 as well. It's been a fun and great car to own.

The following 3 users liked this post by 991RMX:
PAPorscheGuy (01-25-2021), smiles11 (01-24-2021), uphoto (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 10:14 PM
991RMX
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts

HA! Look at the time of my last post
Old 01-24-2021, 10:22 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by 991RMX
HA! Look at the time of my last post
And here is your new forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/992-245/