Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 01:50 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Anyone with a functioning brain should have realized that the Sport and Sport+ buttons were “defeat” devices from day one. From. Day. One.
Let's assume your reading of the allegation is correct. (I may, or may not, read it later.)

Why? What *damage* to buyers was caused? You can't just file a lawsuit because your feelings have been hurt. You must be able to prove damage has occurred and to be able to reasonably quantify the damage.

Now, if this goes the way of DieselGate the "damage" will be the direct result of government forcing either castration of the cars or preventing registration. But, make no mistake, as of now, no damage has been done to owners.
You better call Porsche North America and tell them to end the stop sale, since as you say, there is no problemo and anyone who didn't realize they were cheating emissions when they bought the car is an idiot.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 11-17-2020 at 01:52 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by AdamSanta85:
BGLeduc (11-17-2020), Daleoos (11-25-2020), Driveby (11-21-2020), GSIRM3 (11-17-2020), knb1 (12-23-2020), zabuch (12-08-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-17-2020, 01:59 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

For those with TL;DR syndrome: basis of lawsuit is that Porsches were less valuable at time of sale because they didn’t meet emission specifications. Thus that owners were “cheated” of “value.” It’s a suit justified by logic so twisted that only those with terminal jealousy - or lawyers - would possibly even try to follow it.

This is a crock. The people bringing that suit are not friends.

Anyone who owns a Porsche and now feel that they have been betrayed and cheated because Sport+ mode results in slightly more NOx in certain situations, then by all means they must immediately go to the local Toyota dealer and trade their 911 in on one or four Prius. They should get out of here and not let the door hit them in the a$$ on the way out.

Anyone who feels betrayed by Porsche over Sport+ mode but complains bitterly about auto-start/stop always being activated after restart is a hypocritical brainless idiot.

Anyone with a functioning brain should have realized that the Sport and Sport+ buttons were “defeat” devices from day one. From. Day. One.

The fundamental problem being that modern emissions regulations result in an situation where many features of “sports cars” result in illegality. Which features? Oh how about rev-matching shifts, 195° engine operating temperatures, throttle response modeled after a cable, flat-shifting, etc.

Why do you think AS/S always defaults to on as of the last few years? Why isn’t Sport+ setting retained through restarts?

The article suggests Porsche actually changed hardware for cars that were tested. We’ll see. This seems not credible. More credible is that the difference between software-controlled transmission strategy and “transmission” is being deliberately conflated for propaganda purposes.

References to DieselGate... VW owners were furious. But not so much at VW. They were furious that government was going to either require castration or prevent registration.
People are not going to feel betrayed because their car might emit more emissions than advertised at time of purchase. They will feel betrayed if Porsche is forced to implement new software that reduces power, and or, features as advertised at the time of sale.
The following 4 users liked this post by GSIRM3:
boolala (12-06-2020), Deezflip (03-01-2021), My991 (11-17-2020), SConn (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:02 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

Sport Chrono Package.

The Sport Chrono Package including dynamic engine mounts is available
as an option. This integrated system provides simultaneous enhancement for the chassis, engine and transmission,

Included in the package are a performance display, a digital and an analogue stop* watch and the SPORT PLUS button. An additional display in the steering wheel and instrument cluster indicates whether the SPORT buttons and Launch Control have been activated. While activated it fools those stupid emissions regulators who aren't smart enough to realize this is obviously a "defeat" device.
Damn. I guess I should have read the fine print.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 11-17-2020 at 02:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by AdamSanta85:
BGLeduc (11-17-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (11-17-2020), SFZ GT3 (11-17-2020), zabuch (12-08-2021)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:03 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

I believe the main issue here is that of corporate malfeasance. Should a company be allowed to lie to you about product details and performance?

I suspect that Porsche will reach a settlement that compensates buyers of the vehicles in question. If so, I'll consider it as a partial refund of the Porsche tax.
The following 4 users liked this post by pfan:
BGLeduc (11-17-2020), Daleoos (11-18-2020), edirtaynine (11-17-2020), zabuch (12-08-2021)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:21 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,633 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
You better call Porsche North America and tell them to end the stop sale, since as you say, there is no problemo and anyone who didn't realize they were cheating emissions when they bought the car is an idiot.
That is an idiotic response.

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
People are not going to feel betrayed because their car might emit more emissions than advertised at time of purchase. They will feel betrayed if Porsche is forced to implement new software that reduces power, and or, features as advertised at the time of sale.
Exactly. But, it's a tail chasing suit. The damage only occurs if the suit succeeds and there is no a priori damage with which to justify a suit. Thus the twisted language of the suit.

Did Porsche cheat on the letter of the test (as per VW) or simply the "spirit" of the test by not having Sport+ be active by default? It is the first that must be proven - in my mind at least.

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Damn. I guess I should have read the fine print.
Ditto. Your responses simply prove that you never thought about this. It's all magic and unicorn eggs to you.

Originally Posted by pfan
I believe the main issue here is that of corporate malfeasance. Should a company be allowed to lie to you about product details and performance?
What lies?
Unlike VW there is no allegation (yet) that Porsches in *normal* mode violate standards.

Again, if there was bespoke hardware or bespoke software then we are all screwed.

However, if the *only* issue is that Sport/Sport+ changed software then this is a case of the emissions test being retroactively changed in its letter.

The fact that the Sport+ button (probably) violated the spirit of the test is immaterial.

You all need to decide in which world you want to live.
1) A world in which everything is forbidden except that with is expressly allowed.
or
2) Everything is legal except that which is expressly forbidden.

The following 3 users liked this post by worf928:
atlrvr (12-10-2020), RobC4sX51 (11-22-2020), tjg81296 (11-18-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:27 PM
teambell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update - I am not waiting around on what this means and elected to sell my car instead of consign. Overall this experience is the worst I have had as a Porsche owner, yes the timing of it also intersected with my personal desire to sell, but the ambiguity and lack of coordinated communication to the owners is poor. I have no idea if this issue affects value, but it clearly has been determined to effect potential liability to the corporation and as an owner, I too, am affected. I will have no further updates unless I am directly contacted by Porsche.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:33 PM
dd356
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

If you were looking for a used or i guess new 991 this will make the already difficult task even more difficult. If dealers can't sell the models involved, a heck of a lot of supply just went away. Porsche is going to need a quick fix to keep things rolling.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:39 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone who feels betrayed by Porsche over Sport+ mode but complains bitterly about auto-start/stop always being activated after restart is a hypocritical brainless idiot.
Both of the above statements of mine were unnecessarily inflammatory.

The language of those should have been ignorance not idiocy. Or, in other words:

Not realizing that Sport+ could - and probably would - have deleterious effects on emissions is ignorant but not idiotic.

Ignorance can be cured.

I am highly agitated by this situation because I have to anticipate explaining to my wife why her 991S is going to be castrated just like her VW diesel. The reason will be either: PAG physically cheated or "Idiots" (not at Porsche).

She is still mad about DieselGate. She loved her VW diesel. She would have kept it forever except for the fear that MA would prohibit registration without castration. That VW was the cheapest car we've ever owned on a per-mile basis specifically because of the buyback program. But, the replacement VW was such a stunning disappointment that it was in the fleet for about 4 months only and thus the damage was depreciation on it.

The following 2 users liked this post by worf928:
Daleoos (11-25-2020), Guards_Red_991 (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:40 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Unless this gets resolved quickly, Porsche dealers will be forced to sell their affected inventory to other dealers that are not constrained buy the 'Stop Sale' or auctions. Dealers will not sit on inventory they cant move.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:49 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by bb964
Unless this gets resolved quickly, Porsche dealers will be forced to sell their affected inventory to other dealers that are not constrained buy the 'Stop Sale' or auctions. Dealers will not sit on inventory they cant move.
Porsche dealers cannot SELL the cars, no matter if you are a particular or another business. They want to keep as many cars as they can, that way they don't have to pay out those potential new owners. Stop sell is a complete stop sell.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:54 PM
pfan
Pro

In regards to a peripheral matter, could the infamous "stumble" be somehow related???????????????
Old 11-17-2020, 03:11 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

So in summary - when you activate launch control and are WOT in Sport + is uses more gas? Who would have though?....
The following users liked this post:
RobC4sX51 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 03:15 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfan
In regards to a peripheral matter, could the infamous "stumble" be somehow related???????????????
It could be related. I, for a long time, have believed that the "stumble" originated in software and was a corner case of specific operating conditions. (A bug in a corner case of the software.)

There is a lot of "weirdness" in new cars since the mid-00s that trace directly back to software for emissions control.

One example: have you ever tried to rev match down shifts on a late E39 M5 or a C6 'vette? You basically can't do it most of the time unless you've practiced exactly how to 'fool' the system. Most of the time the ECUs will not allow revs to drop for .25 to .5 seconds after the blip as a result of the 'e-gas' system keeping the throttle plate(s) open to keep combustion stoichiometric. The 'blip' to higher revs usually results in just a little bit of excess fuel that must be burned with more air rather than being passed out of the tail pipe (by way of the converter(s).)

In fact, this "need" for precise control of fuel and air for purposes of emissions testing is *the* reason why cables from throttle pedals to throttle plates was eliminated in favor of a potentiometer that told a computer what you wanted and then allowed the computer to decide what it was actually going to do.

Also, why does Sport/Sport+ mode drop engine temperatures? Because the higher operating temperature is better for emissions. Ergo, using Sport/Sport+ mode to keep engine temperature down must have a deleterious effect on emissions.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:24 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle
So in summary - when you activate launch control and are WOT in Sport + is uses more gas? Who would have though?....
Actually, it not *just* about using more gas. The maximum power of gasoline combustion is achieved at an air/fuel mixture that is richer (more fuel) than stoichiometric. The "power" ratio is about 12.6:1 whereas "perfect" combustion is 14.7:1. The power ratio results in more HC pollutants. Even better, modern cars at low-load cruise actually run with A/F ratios leaner than 14.7 so as to save gas. This results in more NOx emissions which are 'cleaned out' by this century's advanced catalyst matrices.

So, when you go WOT you're actually spitting out some unburned gas in addition to using more gas because you're WOTing around.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:41 PM
pfan
Pro

. Most of the time the ECUs will not allow revs to drop for .25 to .5 seconds after the blip as a result of the 'e-gas' system keeping the throttle plate(s) open to keep combustion stoichiometric. The 'blip' to higher revs usually results in just a little bit of excess fuel that must be burned with more air rather than being passed out of the tail pipe (by way of the converter(s).)
Shortly after purchase I had an incident that really highlighted this. A car ahead and in the next lane to the right suddenly pulled in front with minimal spacing. I immediately let off the accelerator and assumed the car would immediately slow. Wrong. As you indicate, it takes a while, which at the time seemed like light years, for the car to begin to decelerate.Switching into Sport/Sport Plus mode significantly improves the lag time.

New cars should probably require a warning in the owner's manual stating that simply removing your foot from the accelerator will not result in immediate slowing. Just be patient.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?