Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 11:04 PM
My991
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn
I just purchased a 981 Boxster S 6MT with Sport Chrono on Friday from a used car dealer who had bought it from the Porsche dealer a month prior (traded in there). I'm glad its in my hands and I'll want to thoroughly understand what any proposed "fix" might be before having it done. If there is any negative affect to performance, you'd better bet I'd be expecting a check if I were to have it done!

Question, though, as I've noticed that the Auto Start/Stop defeat seems to latch across key cycles (thank the Lawd!). Is this consistent with others' cars? Is this consistent with NON sport chrono cars? I am just wondering if this could be a difference between the SC and non SC cars.

There was also discussion about the engine "hanging" in Normal mode. I just wanted to add a couple notes I've observed from other vehicles and working for OEMs. There are 2 benefits to it. One is emissions related in that suddenly snapping off the throttle would result in excessive unburnt fuel being dumped into the exhaust, so the extended ramp down of throttle helps fully burn it. This is probably much less of an issue on DI engines.
The second issue is for shifting gears at a more relaxed pace. When in Sport+ mode, the revs are dropping at a rate that that requires the shifts to be fast, as well. In Normal, it allows for the revs to drop more slowly so you'll hit the right rpms for the next gear with slower shifts.
what year? Only 2023/14 SC Boxster is listed
Old 11-22-2020, 11:09 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 130 Posts

. . . . Question, though, as I've noticed that the Auto Start/Stop defeat seems to latch across key cycles (thank the Lawd!). Is this consistent with others' cars? Is this consistent with NON sport chrono cars? I am just wondering if this could be a difference between the SC and non SC cars. . . . .
Are you asking whether the setting has a default position that it reverts to when the car is shut off? If so, not on my 991.1s (but both are SC). It holds the previous setting.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:09 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

Question, though, as I've noticed that the Auto Start/Stop defeat seems to latch across key cycles (thank the Lawd!). Is this consistent with others' cars? Is this consistent with NON sport chrono cars? I am just wondering if this could be a difference between the SC and non SC cars.
Yes. This is how my '14 981S operated (you didn't need to defeat *** each time you started the car. You could turn it off, and leave it off. *** would not come back on, and you could simply drive the car normally. My car did not have SC.

My understanding is that Porsche decided, at least by '17, to require the driver to defeat *** each time the ignition was cycled. On my C2, *** is enabled each time I start the car. At least for me, I simply rotate the **** to SPORT and thus defeat ***, and drive the car normally. I do have SC on my 991.2.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:12 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

On topic, is anyone aware of any actual press announcement or formal notice by PCNA relating to the subject of this thread?
Old 11-23-2020, 08:35 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
On topic, is anyone aware of any actual press announcement or formal notice by PCNA relating to the subject of this thread?
No announcement that I’ve seen yet. All info is coming from reliable sources from inside dealers that have been told to stop selling. My old SA from Pa is extremely trustworthy and he confirmed the dealer had a stop sale. He also believes it does not affect my TTS. No one has details on what, how or when the info will be announced at this time.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 09:23 AM
My991
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Yes. This is how my '14 981S operated (you didn't need to defeat *** each time you started the car. You could turn it off, and leave it off. *** would not come back on, and you could simply drive the car normally. My car did not have SC.

My understanding is that Porsche decided, at least by '17, to require the driver to defeat *** each time the ignition was cycled. On my C2, *** is enabled each time I start the car. At least for me, I simply rotate the **** to SPORT and thus defeat ***, and drive the car normally. I do have SC on my 991.2.
I recall trying to permanently disable AS on our ‘17 MDX and learned it was required to be enabled at start by EPA. May be related to the original post.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:49 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Stop Sale NHTSA

I wonder where the stop sale came from as they would not do it on their own. They either received an injunction or agreed to a deal with a government agency. Good time to file a report on faulty door cards/airbags.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:15 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I wonder where the stop sale came from as they would not do it on their own. They either received an injunction or agreed to a deal with a government agency. Good time to file a report on faulty door cards/airbags.
HAMBURG/MUNICH (Reuters) - Germany's motor vehicle authority KBA is investigating Volkswagen's VOWG_p.DE luxury sports vehicles unit Porsche AG over the suspected manipulation of petrol engines to achieve improved emissions data.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...-idUSKBN25K13P

In my opinion this is bigger than the ***.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 11-23-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:42 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
For those that had an effected VW Diesel, how were the 2nd/3rd owners who didn't buy the car new treated if they wanted to keep the car? Were they also given a check?

The short answer to point 3 (Cayenne Diesel issue) is yes, 2nd owners (or any current owner) received money but only the full amount after the “repair” which was a new EGR and a software update. My mpg never changed. Completely happy I kept it (great track car & boat tow vehicle). Now waiting to see what they have for my ‘13 4S Cab. And maybe the GT4, though the SC on the GT4 is truly just a clock as compared to the 911.
So only original owners that bought new got a diminished value check?
Old 11-23-2020, 10:50 AM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 266 Posts

In one way, that would make sense because buying the car second hand, I did not shell out the mega bucks when buying the car. On the other hand, that gives me zero incentive to go in and get any modifications done if I'm not going to be compensated.
Class5Kayaker (11-24-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 10:52 AM
Motorist911
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
In one way, that would make sense because buying the car second hand, I did not shell out the mega bucks when buying the car. On the other hand, that gives me zero incentive to go in and get any modifications done if I'm not going to be compensated.
Totally agree. Even with $, i'm reluctant to head in for a "software upgrade" although I get it. No $, forget about it...

Last edited by Motorist911; 11-23-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Wolpertinger (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 11:05 AM
tjg81296
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
The current owner holds a car that I would think loses value, I would think they have to compensate for that if any compensation is given.

I believe what the Cayenne example means is that they would only pay the current vehicle holder if they brought the car in to compliance.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:52 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

If my '13 Audi Q7 TDI and '14 Jetta TDI experiences were any indication, ultimately you won't have a choice. They offered pretty generous compensation and in the case of the Jetta a buyback. Kicker is that if you refused to have the update done you could not renew your registration on the vehicle. At least that is how it worked here... and I'm in Texas which certainly no California when it comes to emissions.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:09 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
I had a buddy with a Cayenne Diesel and he got a pretty good cash settlement and they did the software fix. Show me the money!
We got $7500 on the Q7, they bought the Jetta back basically for what we paid for it 3 years and 50k miles earlier and gave us a check for $4000--had more than enough to buy by son a left over new '17 Passat with Technology Pkg and had $2500 left over. I was happy.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:15 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bb964
If this 'Stop Sale' is true then it has to be due to some government regulation like emissions or some safety defects, In that case we should have received recall notices by now. Active engine mounts is not such a big problem and an easy fix, Porsche is too happy to re-sell cars with IMS issues that literally cause engines to blow up.
I received a recall or service letter a few weeks ago regarding my 2013 C2S Cab which has sport chrono. It didn't seem urgent like "don't drive" and "tow to dealer immediately" so I can't even remember what it was for. I figured they'd just do whatever at the spring service.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?