Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 08:20 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 286 Posts

No, with the DSC box it remembers the last setting. As you say, when you turn off car with sport suspension enabled it remains in that mode. It no longer ties suspension setting to drive mode settings. I don't believe there is a way to do that. That said, for the T files one can just leave it in Sport suspension and still have as much or more compliance than stock normal mode.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ceepe:
GT3FZS (07-25-2020), Jeahbladejeah (07-25-2020), Tom@TPC Racing (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 08:28 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
Installed a DSC V3 this week on my 2018 Carrera T.

With stock SPASM, Sport+ would toggle on the firm suspension setting. It doesn’t with DSC — the suspension doesn’t adjust based on drive mode at all as far as I can tell. The console button has to be toggled manually to switch between chassis modes. Is this a feature or a bug?

FWIW, the car remembers the suspension setting from its last drive. So I can just leave it on sport chassis if it has to be that way. But ideally I would run the normal file in normal mode and have it toggle to the sport file in Sport and Sport+ modes. Is this possible?
With DSC installed the Suspension mode selection becomes independent from Engine/PDK mode selection.
There are only two Suspension modes, the two Suspension modes are Normal and Sport.
Sport PLUS is not a Suspension mode. Sport PLUS is a mode for the Engine/PDK.
With the stock PASM controller when Sport PLUS is activated, it bundles the Suspension Sport mode.
With DSC installed, the Suspension mode switching is not bundled to the Engine/PDK mode since DSC's Suspension mode switching is independent.
As you have pointed out, DSC remembers the Suspension mode that's last used, so the next time the car is started it remains in that mode.
With DSC installed the only way to switch Suspension mode between Normal and Sport is by using the Suspension button.
This is a feature, not a bug. This has been referenced on Rennlist threads and on other forums dozens of times.

In each DSC mode the dynamic suspension stiffness command range is very wide; DSC Normal mode range 5% to 100% , DSC Sport mode range is 20% to 100%.
I find that most drivers with DSC just leaves the Suspension mode in Sport since DSC's dynamic range covers the entire min and max of the stock PASM controller.
No, it is not possible to make DSC Suspension mode bundle to Engine/PDK PLUS mode.
Why? Because it is completely unnecessary to increase suspension static stiffness by 40-50% without dynamic load.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

The following 4 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
GT3FZS (07-25-2020), Jeahbladejeah (07-25-2020), mc3456 (07-25-2020), spyderbret (07-26-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 10:53 AM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
No, with the DSC box it remembers the last setting. As you say, when you turn off car with sport suspension enabled it remains in that mode. It no longer ties suspension setting to drive mode settings. I don't believe there is a way to do that. That said, for the T files one can just leave it in Sport suspension and still have as much or more compliance than stock normal mode.
Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
With DSC installed the Suspension mode selection becomes independent from Engine/PDK mode selection.
There are only two Suspension modes, the two Suspension modes are Normal and Sport.
With the stock PASM controller when Sport PLUS is activated, it bundles the Suspension Sport mode.
With DSC installed, the Suspension mode switching is not bundled to the Engine/PDK mode since DSC's Suspension mode switching is independent.
As you have pointed out, DSC remembers the Suspension mode that's last used, so the next time the car is started it remains in that mode.
With DSC installed the only way to switch Suspension mode between Normal and Sport is by using the Suspension button.
This is a feature, not a bug. This has been referenced on Rennlist threads and on other forums dozens of times.

In each DSC mode the dynamic suspension stiffness command range is very wide; DSC Normal mode range 5% to 100% , DSC Sport mode range is 20% to 100%.
I find that most drivers with DSC just leaves the Suspension mode in Sport since DSC's dynamic range covers the entire min and max of the stock PASM controller.
No, it is not possible to make DSC Suspension mode bundle to Engine/PDK PLUS mode.
Why? Because it is completely unnecessary to increase suspension static stiffness by 40-50% without dynamic load.
This forum is the best. Thanks guys. I put the GT3 Touring file in the sport setting and will just leave that file active.

I did notice even in sport mode the suspension was more compliant than the old “normal” when it needed to be. So there’s nothing to be disappointed about. Just clarifying how it’s supposed to work.

Follow up question: since the Carrera T has static engine mounts, is the DSC driveline file pointless? If not, what file would be a good place to start?
Old 07-25-2020, 11:14 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
This forum is the best. Thanks guys. I put the GT3 Touring file in the sport setting and will just leave that file active.

I did notice even in sport mode the suspension was more compliant than the old “normal” when it needed to be. So there’s nothing to be disappointed about. Just clarifying how it’s supposed to work.

Follow up question: since the Carrera T has static engine mounts, is the DSC driveline file pointless? If not, what file would be a good place to start?
Glad your original question was answered with clarity.

The answer for your follow up questions is the Driveline commands are non-active for cars equipped with static engine mounts. You could zero out all the cells in the Driveline section of the software or just leave them as they are since the item to be commanded(the dynamic engine mounts) are not present.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 11:43 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad your original question was answered with clarity.

The answer for your follow up questions is the Driveline commands are non-active for cars equipped with static engine mounts. You could zero out all the cells in the Driveline section of the software or just leave them as they are since the item to be commanded(the dynamic engine mounts) are not present.
Question for Tom@TPC.... I just had the KW HAS kit removed and installed Bilstein B16's on my .2 GTS. I've been running the GT3 file on the DSC since before the suspension was changed, do I need to reset the DSC or just leave it alone? also, have there been any DSC updates worth downloading? Thanks
Old 07-25-2020, 12:00 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by eysa
Question for Tom@TPC.... I just had the KW HAS kit removed and installed Bilstein B16's on my .2 GTS. I've been running the GT3 file on the DSC since before the suspension was changed, do I need to reset the DSC or just leave it alone? also, have there been any DSC updates worth downloading? Thanks
If you have a DSC V3 you can use the GT3/RS file, or the GT3 Tour file. I find the Tour file to be more versatile with stiffer springs and stiffer dampers(such as the B16) since the Tour file Normal mode starts at 3% minimum value. Whereas the GT3/RS file Normal mode starts at 10%(which favors lower and/or stiffer springs on OEM dampers). The Sport mode is same for both files.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:08 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

If you have a DSC V3 you can use the GT3/RS file, or the GT3 Tour file. I find the Tour file to be more versatile with stiffer springs and stiffer dampers(such as the B16) since the Tour file Normal mode starts at 3% minimum value. Whereas the GT3/RS file Normal mode starts at 10%(which favors lower and/or stiffer springs on OEM dampers). The Sport mode is same for both files.
Thank you for that Tom! Yes I'm running the GT3 Tour file, i'm assuming I don't need to reset or reinstall the file since changing from the KW to the B16 right?
Old 07-25-2020, 12:22 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by eysa
Thank you for that Tom! Yes I'm running the GT3 Tour file, i'm assuming I don't need to reset or reinstall the file since changing from the KW to the B16 right?
Don't need any reset. Just Plug & Play! Enjoy.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:48 PM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Worth zeroing ride heights though after a suspension change?
Old 07-25-2020, 02:07 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nathan_
Worth zeroing ride heights though after a suspension change?
No need to with DSC V3, the V3 hardware and algo commands to the suspension travel velocity and direction of travel of each wheel relative to the previous moment.
Like 5 years ago we did suggest(not require) zero'ing for V2, but V2 has been discontinued and replaced by V3 in 2018. That seem to me like eons ago. LOL
GT3FZS (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 02:43 PM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

So I zero’d mine for no reason then

Useful to know
Old 07-25-2020, 08:50 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Thank you, very helpful... I recently installed a DSC in my 2014 Turbo S and wasn't really feeling much city street or highway difference between normal and sport, but based on the explanation above that sounds about right, and was also initially confused by the PASM mode selection not behaving as before, now fully understood.

But I finally got a chance to rip a bit in the mountains today in sport PASM and wow it handled superbly!
Tom@TPC Racing (07-27-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 07:34 AM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 638 Likes on 236 Posts

Looking for a little help trying to figure out whats wrong. I have a 2019 GTS.

Picked up a used DSC V3 module from a fellow RL member who had it installed in the 991.2 GT3. Prior to installing the module I downloaded the DSC Tuner. I watched the videos and followed instructions on how to install the calibration files. Opened and selected the 'TOUR" file. I did "write all". Saved and exited.

I installed the module easily. Went for a drive, and noticed the PDCC light was turning on and off by itself after I activated it. Looking at the screen when I press the button it would not always say "Sport chassis selected" - very odd behavior.

Went back home and redid the calibration upload. Before leaving, I tested inside the garage. With the car in park, PDDC was activating properly every time. Phew...nice!

Went for a drive again. Same odd behavior. Its as if the PDCC will not stay on. It will turn on and sometimes blink every once in awhile. As far as I know, the chassis is in normal mode.

Any idea what to troubleshoot? Emailed the guys over at DSC but it is the weekend and don't expect too much. I would love to get it sorted out so I can test this over the weekend =)

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by LWG; 08-15-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:59 AM
Targe19
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

LWG,

it is perfectly normal. I just bought one a month ago and had the same question. I emailed DSC and they said they do it on purpose. Now the shock button is independent of the sport+ mode. You have to select it manually. I was confused why and they said depending on the file you upload you may want to keep it in normal or sport chassis mode all the time. I keep mine on sport chassis mode all the time with the touring file installed. There is no reason to switch as that file is good at all time. Hope this helps.
LWG (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:27 AM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 638 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Targe19
LWG,

it is perfectly normal. I just bought one a month ago and had the same question. I emailed DSC and they said they do it on purpose. Now the shock button is independent of the sport+ mode. You have to select it manually. I was confused why and they said depending on the file you upload you may want to keep it in normal or sport chassis mode all the time. I keep mine on sport chassis mode all the time with the touring file installed. There is no reason to switch as that file is good at all time. Hope this helps.
First of all, thanks for your response!

I guess what I am trying to state is I cannot press the PDCC button and have it stay on/activated.

I understand now with the DSC Sport module installed the PDCC button will remain in the last setting you leave it In which is a great feature but I was under the impression with the TOUR file you still have the option to toggle between Normal and Sport.

Taken from a rennlist post - "Second bit of great news is we created a new calibration file(aka map) for DSC V3 we named as "GT3 Tour" file. Our new GT3 Tour file further softens the damping in Normal mode by 5% to improve comfort for road trips, while sharpens Sport mode with our new motorsports proven G-Force table and an extra dose of front end damping force for aggressive deep braking into corners right up to the apex!! GT3 Tour files works great on all 991 models with DSC V3 controller."

On another note, I uploaded the standard 991 file and it works! I can activate PDCC, toggling between normal and sport chassis.

I want to mention I do have FAL. Maybe the tour file has a compatibility issue with something in my car?
The following 2 users liked this post by LWG:
GT3FZS (08-15-2020), Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module