Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 10:12 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 520 Likes on 208 Posts

The 992s really create a conundrum with the previous 911 lineup offerings. I don’t see them making another T because it really wasn’t a successful marketing model. The demand ended up not being there with half being poorly specced by dealerships which people didn’t buy. Then there is the lightweight package supposedly going to be available up and down the 992 line alleviating a need for the T. I would even say the GTS moniker May be in peril since all 992s are wide bodies and the S can be had with a power kit. Obviously the GTS will stick around until Porsche sees the financial benefits of not offering it because it’s no longer unique and they can charge $15k outright for the power kit...which EVERYONE will buy.

all this said and the T will be a collectible but not like a speedster or GT. Instead, my prediction is it will be more like a 987 Cayman R or Boxster Spyder. Retains value because of its complete driving package...you know that “special sauce” that Porsche ends up getting just right on certain cars as talked about in the new Panorama Mag.

I promise you that all of our Porsche will be collectibles in 60 years...because finding gas will be impossible and cars naturally dwindle with age. But who cares, I’ll be over 100 and dead but will have enjoyed every second of ownership of my T.
The following 6 users liked this post by Alc:
Das14444 (05-19-2020), ducktails (05-19-2020), GT3FZS (05-20-2020), K-Nut (05-20-2020), S S (05-19-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-20-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-19-2020, 10:29 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by S S
Could (NA for certain market segments post 2026...) is very different than will not (NA for 992 and beyond)...‘The 4-litre engine in the GTS can’t be rotated through 180 degrees to fit in the 911. We will not see them again (naturally aspirated engines in the Carrera models). I’m sorry about that.

‘The R&D costs are too high to develop such an engine for the Carrera. And producing individual engines for different markets such as China, the US and Europe isn’t viable. The Carrera will always be turbocharged for the future.’
vice"At the moment, we only see a turbo solution. Naturally aspirated, not really,” he laments

"Now maybe you are in the right part of the world, in Australia. This is a European solution. It [natural aspiration] could work in other parts of the world, as Australia is close to the US regulations that could work in the future."

So could we still have a naturally aspirated engine?

"Technically, yes. If you offered something different, but this is market size, investment, volume, you know. There will come a day, within the next 10 years, when we have to say 'Now this is the last of its kind."

That sounds very much like the death knell for natural aspiration. That affects how the 911 would appear in future, and redefines its essence. Where would the 911 go if Walliser had a clean sheet of paper to work with?

"Maybe I would do it a little more sporty than the 992. If I had a wish, I would make it maybe smaller."

Wouldn't we all, me bru!
KEEP drivin' 'em.

SS
yep. originally was cross shopping 992s before settling on 991, simple because it's too big. my T has ACC which sealed the deal for me. i know, not a really inline with the ethos of the T, but in LA traffic it's brilliant and gives me the best of both worlds. the 992 looks like an aston martin to me. can't ever get behind it. ugliest 911 ever in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
SFZ GT3 (09-20-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 10:53 PM
Das14444
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
Collectible in terms of the "T" in general? Or the manual T's?
a tip 993 is not as desirable as a manual in market.
a PDK 997.2 GTS is a great car, but brings a lot less money compared to the manual 997 GTS.

nothing wrong with a PDK T, but yes - the manual T is likely the desired version down the line IMO.
The following 3 users liked this post by Das14444:
K-Nut (05-20-2020), polobai (05-20-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by Das14444
a tip 993 is not as desirable as a manual in market.
a PDK 997.2 GTS is a great car, but brings a lot less money compared to the manual 997 GTS.

nothing wrong with a PDK T, but yes - the manual T is likely the desired version down the line IMO.
Manual gear boxes will be desirable until the possibility that the population reaches a point where almost no one knows how to drive them.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:08 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Manual gear boxes will be desirable until the possibility that the population reaches a point where almost no one knows how to drive them.
not sure i agree with that logic. maybe they'll be desirable until the possibility that the population loses facility of their arms. it's not like it will suddenly be impossible to learn how to drive a manual. lol.
Das14444 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 02:16 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lamacan
not sure i agree with that logic. maybe they'll be desirable until the possibility that the population loses facility of their arms. it's not like it will suddenly be impossible to learn how to drive a manual. lol.
Sure people will still have arms but the number of people who know how to operate a manual transmission vehicle drops every year. Unless that changes eventually there will be very few people alive who can drive a stick and thus the demand for a manual transmission car will decrease. This isn't going to happen overnight but in 15-20 years it will possibly be a factor.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/...-drive-manual/

https://www.carmax.com/articles/stick-shift-index

matthewlesko (12-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 02:23 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,124 Likes on 669 Posts

I think it lies with people who currently have manuals to teach others and most importantly teach the next generation so this can continue on well into the future!
Old 05-20-2020, 02:34 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

I think the assumption here is that if you can't drive a manual, you won't buy one. I'm fairly certain that if you are an enthusiast and you can't drive a manual, you will want to learn. The ones that aren't enthusiast aren't potential buyers anyway. The demographic that will want to buy a manual today is going to be the same demographic in the future. I have a friend that bought a car he really wanted (in manual) even though he didn't know how to drive manual. He bought it and learned on the way home. I don't recommend it, but hey, it worked out for him.

Also, in Europe this change will take much longer since most cars are still manual and most drivers have to learn manual to pass licensing tests.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:34 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
I think it lies with people who currently have manuals to teach others and most importantly teach the next generation so this can continue on well into the future!
Agreed!

Both my kids drive MT cars. I made both of them learn, and now they prefer it. Now when they drive an automatic, they say to me, "Dad, driving a car that shifts gears for you is soooo boring"
SFZ GT3 (09-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 02:39 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ikone
I think the assumption here is that if you can't drive a manual, you won't buy one. I'm fairly certain that if you are an enthusiast and you can't drive a manual, you will want to learn. The ones that aren't enthusiast aren't potential buyers anyway. The demographic that will want to buy a manual today is going to be the same demographic in the future. I have a friend that bought a car he really wanted (in manual) even though he didn't know how to drive manual. He bought it and learned on the way home. I don't recommend it, but hey, it worked out for him.

Also, in Europe this change will take much longer since most cars are still manual and most drivers have to learn manual to pass licensing tests.
If trends continue the manual demographic will continue to decrease. The numbers don't lie.

How old is your friend?

Most countries in Europe no longer require manual proficiency for licensing and the number of manual cars sold there is dropping faster there than here in the USA.

Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc don't even make manual transmission cars anymore.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:40 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
Correct, but so far this is not happening.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:45 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

If trends continue the manual demographic will continue to decrease. The numbers don't lie.

How old is your friend?

Most countries in Europe no longer require manual proficiency for licensing and the number of manual cars sold there is dropping faster there than here in the USA.

Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc don't even make manual transmission cars anymore.
1. No argument there. Wasn't my point.
2. irrelevant, but was in his 20s or 30s at the time.
3. no argument here either, makes sense. Still the numbers are much higher than US. Dropping faster doesn't mean they are lower.
4. makes sense as well. Sales!

All the points you make have nothing to do with an enthusiast buying a manual and I don't disagree with any of them.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:52 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ikone
1. No argument there. Wasn't my point.
2. irrelevant, but was in his 20s or 30s at the time.
3. no argument here either, makes sense. Still the numbers are much higher than US. Dropping faster doesn't mean they are lower.
4. makes sense as well. Sales!

All the points you make have nothing to do with an enthusiast buying a manual and I don't disagree with any of them.
All of what I have written supports my original and only point. Which was/is that if the number enthusiast who can and want to drive a stick shift continues to decline then the desirability of a manual transmission cars will also decline. It is simple supply and demand. This isn't going to happen tomorrow but if trends continue it will happen in 10-15 years.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:56 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

All of what I have written supports my original and only point. Which was/is that if the number enthusiast who can and want to drive a stick shift continues to decline then the desirability of a manual transmission cars will also decline. It is simple supply and demand. This isn't going to happen tomorrow but if trends continue it will happen in 10-15 years.
Ah, I see. I didn't quote you or anyone on purpose when I made my statement.
Your response was to my statement and you were defending your own.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:26 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,219 Likes on 448 Posts

Incorrect. You can still order a brand new Mercedes Benz with a manual gearbox. I just checked their website. I’m in the UK.

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club