Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 10:39 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by NikosLee
@ZedZed what do you mean?. My phone is Bluetooth connected to the pcm.
Yes, that is the problem. If you want Carplay/Android Auto to connect, you have to disconnect the BT connection to the PCM. You need to connect the phone's BT to the Isudar (etc) board's BT.
The following users liked this post:
Live Steam (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 10:41 AM
NikosLee
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Got it

@ZedZed ill try n reply
Old 12-07-2023, 10:44 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

@ZedZed ill try n reply
You can only have one BT connection at a time. At the moment, your BT is taken over by the PCM. If you want to pair to the Isudar board, you need to connect the BT to the Isudar's BT. I can't recall the name of the connection but it should be obvious. I suggest renaming it to something like IsudarBT. I also 'forgot' the PCM's BT so it couldn't start up by accident.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:20 PM
NikosLee
Rennlist Member

Default No luck

@ZedZed disconnected phone. Forgot device. Phone was still no able to connect. Plugged in usb and no luck.
if anyone else has advice let me know.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:05 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

@ZedZed disconnected phone. Forgot device. Phone was still no able to connect. Plugged in usb and no luck.
if anyone else has advice let me know.
What BT device is showing as connected and is the Isudar BT showing? From memory, what I had to do was 'forget' the PCM BT connection and then do a BT scan for new devices, which showed up the Isudar board as an available device. I paired to that in the normal way and after that it was all automatic whenever I got into the car. It is essential that you are paired with the Isudar board.

When you plug the phone into the car's OEM USB, AA should start. Check AA on your phone and update if necessary. If you enable Developer settings in AA on the phone (keep pressing version number until Dev mode appears), in the Dev menu there is a setting called 'Start head unit server' - try clicking that with the phone plugged into USB. While you are there, go to Developer Settings and check the box for 'enable wireless mode'.
Old 12-09-2023, 05:40 PM
NikosLee
Rennlist Member

Default Solved - car play on

Originally Posted by ZedZed
What BT device is showing as connected and is the Isudar BT showing? From memory, what I had to do was 'forget' the PCM BT connection and then do a BT scan for new devices, which showed up the Isudar board as an available device. I paired to that in the normal way and after that it was all automatic whenever I got into the car. It is essential that you are paired with the Isudar board.

When you plug the phone into the car's OEM USB, AA should start. Check AA on your phone and update if necessary. If you enable Developer settings in AA on the phone (keep pressing version number until Dev mode appears), in the Dev menu there is a setting called 'Start head unit server' - try clicking that with the phone plugged into USB. While you are there, go to Developer Settings and check the box for 'enable wireless mode'.
don’t know what interface I have BUT I’m on line now. I plugged the phone into the usb in the glove box and after pressing a few buttons it came alive. I love CAR PLAY! thank you previous owner and Steve Jobs!
ZedZed (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 06:00 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

don’t know what interface I have BUT I’m on line now. I plugged the phone into the usb in the glove box and after pressing a few buttons it came alive. I love CAR PLAY! thank you previous owner and Steve Jobs!
Great news. The key is to use the OEM usb for the first connection. After that, wireless should work just fine.

Good job - glad you got it sorted.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:53 PM
imagerep
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default GTA Car Kits

Jumping onto this thread to avoid creating a new one. I saw an installation video for 991.1/ v3.1 PMS and was impressed. But the fact is, with a handful of Carplay retrofit kits available, it's hard to pick the best one not knowing what others have experienced.

Has anyone had experience with GTA Car Kits products? If so, Pros & Cons please.

GTA's version: https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/w...911-2012-2016/
Old 12-10-2023, 06:39 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by imagerep
Jumping onto this thread to avoid creating a new one. I saw an installation video for 991.1/ v3.1 PMS and was impressed. But the fact is, with a handful of Carplay retrofit kits available, it's hard to pick the best one not knowing what others have experienced.

Has anyone had experience with GTA Car Kits products? If so, Pros & Cons please.

I used the GTA one, but as Zed has opined, it's probably overpriced and it looks like it's identical to the isudar one. The supplier (GTA) is local to me (in the Greater Toronto Area), which was one of the reasons I went with this one. It does work great, but there is a lot more information on this thread about the other options, especially if you want to replace the whole PCM.
Cons (other than price) - you're still relying on the old PCM touch screen, so it's not quite as responsive as a whole new unit, nor to all gestures work.
I think it forgets the phone connection too often - once every couple of weeks and without warning. It doesn't take long to reconnect, but it's a bit of a pain if you expected to just drive away.
Even if it defaults to Carplay when I start the car, it doesn't default to bluetooth aux for the source, so I have to choose that separately. I think you can change that, but then I'm not sure if it will always be that way, and I like having the option to listen to the radio or cd with the PCM, rather than choosing a radio app.
Pros - you don't lose any PCM functionality if that was important to you.
It is invisible, if you want to retain the original look.
It's easy to install, if you're comfortable opening the PCM. The video on the GTA website is detailed and accurate. Support is pretty good. I've had a couple of questions, and received responses same or next day (although no solution to the dropped connection).
The bluetooth music info still displays in the gauge cluster.
Even the camera was easy to connect. The hardest part of my whole install was getting the wire from inside the car out to the camera.

imagerep (12-11-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 06:47 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by imagerep

This is a clone of a clone of a clone. Can be found for very cheap on aliexpress. If you want the best audio quality go with the proven Mr12Volt option that uses your factory fiberoptic connection and not an aux reroute.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
imagerep (12-11-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 07:22 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

So far I'm very glad I abandoned the antiquated PCM. Though I initially went the Isudar route, I always had issue with it. Mr Carplay and the other emulators may or may not be better than Isudar, but I know this new head unit is better than the old factory PCM. I don't believe any add-on board makes the PCM screen or processing better. It just provides CarPlay to a screen and processor that's miles behind what's available now. The head unit I and others installed is even less expensive than some of the other options and it's an easy self-install. If I were looking for an upgrade to the infotainment system, I wouldn't waste the time and money I did on any thing but a new Android head unit. The only issue I've had so far is getting the rearview camera to trigger automatically and I think I'll have that solved in short order. The camera works and displays onscreen with guide lines. I just need to locate the proper wire to trigger the camera when the car is shifted into reverse. My car is manual. Those with PDK have not had this issue. I think this looks and functions 100 times better than the PCM. No utility lost from removing the PCM. 100% no-brainer IMO. Edit: I have a Burmester system. The sound is 100% better with this unit as well.

Last edited by Live Steam; 12-10-2023 at 07:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Live Steam:
Chuck245 (12-10-2023), Porsche_nuts (12-11-2023), ZedZed (12-11-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 07:46 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Live Steam
So far I'm very glad I abandoned the antiquated PCM. Though I initially went the Isudar route, I always had issue with it. Mr Carplay and the other emulators may or may not be better than Isudar, but I know this new head unit is better than the old factory PCM. I don't believe any add-on board makes the PCM screen or processing better. It just provides CarPlay to a screen and processor that's miles behind what's available now. The head unit I and others installed is even less expensive than some of the other options and it's an easy self-install. If I were looking for an upgrade to the infotainment system, I wouldn't waste the time and money I did on any thing but a new Android head unit. The only issue I've had so far is getting the rearview camera to trigger automatically and I think I'll have that solved in short order. The camera works and displays onscreen with guide lines. I just need to locate the proper wire to trigger the camera when the car is shifted into reverse. My car is manual. Those with PDK have not had this issue. I think this looks and functions 100 times better than the PCM. No utility lost from removing the PCM. 100% no-brainer IMO. Edit: I have a Burmester system. The sound is 100% better with this unit as well.

As with any system, mine included, one solution does not fit all applications or users. In my case I don't like the look of the unit you speak of. I don't really like the look of any of the current PCM replacement units short of the big wide one on the Panamera, but it has ventilation issues. To me these aftermarket options feels out of place among the trim on the dash. Some people wont notice, or care, but I'm more a purist and i love the way my car looked like when I got it and still do today. What i do know for sure is that if i were buying one of these cars for myself id go for a look as genuine as possible.
PDK1965 (12-16-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 08:42 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
As with any system, mine included, one solution does not fit all applications or users. In my case I don't like the look of the unit you speak of. I don't really like the look of any of the current PCM replacement units short of the big wide one on the Panamera, but it has ventilation issues. To me these aftermarket options feels out of place among the trim on the dash. Some people wont notice, or care, but I'm more a purist and i love the way my car looked like when I got it and still do today. What i do know for sure is that if i were buying one of these cars for myself id go for a look as genuine as possible.
Not sure what you appreciate about the looks of the old 3.1 PCM vs the one in my pic. It has an integrated look and feel and loses all the extra bits and pieces that are either useless/antiquated (cd player) and all the buttons, switches and horizontal chrome bars that IMO look busy and detract from the appearance of the console. This unit is much sleeker in appearance as well as functionally. The bezel match is pretty spot on with the rest of the plastic bits on the center console. I still have the original PCM and when I'm dead and buried, the next person who owns it can put it back in. And though I thought this thread was about function and utility, I think this unit looks as slick as it functions and not out of place in the interior of my GTS. To each their own

Last edited by Live Steam; 12-10-2023 at 08:43 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Live Steam:
CarreraFahrer (06-23-2024), DaveGee (12-10-2023), Klwise (12-24-2023), Porsche_nuts (12-11-2023), ZedZed (12-11-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 09:19 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 440 Likes on 267 Posts

I'd be all over the replacement head unit, but that 'PHONE' button font would trigger me every time I saw it. It sends the message, "Meh, close enough."

I assume you can use something other than a giant Porsche logo as the wallpaper? That would be on the list of things I'd want to change as well.
Schorsch (12-11-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 09:28 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Live Steam
Not sure what you appreciate about the looks of the old 3.1 PCM vs the one in my pic. It has an integrated look and feel and loses all the extra bits and pieces that are either useless/antiquated (cd player) and all the buttons, switches and horizontal chrome bars that IMO look busy and detract from the appearance of the console. This unit is much sleeker in appearance as well as functionally. The bezel match is pretty spot on with the rest of the plastic bits on the center console. I still have the original PCM and when I'm dead and buried, the next person who owns it can put it back in. And though I thought this thread was about function and utility, I think this unit looks as slick as it functions and not out of place in the interior of my GTS. To each their own
Personality, I HATE HATE HATE, touch buttons glossy material. If it's a fixed button, then give me a button. Same reason I don't like the modern Porsche dash.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1