Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 12:22 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

From my experience this is an installer error.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:16 PM
Maxime MrCom
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
From my experience this is an installer error.
i have repeated 2 times all steps. What could go wrong ? Just need to screw JoyeAuto board and connect ribbons...
Old 02-14-2021, 07:28 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Wanted to buy the NM Auto version but right now with how the dollar is it’s over $600! Just don’t see how it could be worth it over picking up the Joyaudio version for under $400.

Anybody have anything to add to why it would be worth so much more to do the NM?
Old 02-14-2021, 11:41 PM
dngo
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by uphoto
Wanted to buy the NM Auto version but right now with how the dollar is it’s over $600! Just don’t see how it could be worth it over picking up the Joyaudio version for under $400.

Anybody have anything to add to why it would be worth so much more to do the NM?
if you don’t have a 7spd manual, you’d probably be fine with the Joyeauto.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:08 AM
theracer21
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone knows a shop in the Jersey City area to install the apple car planet module ?
Old 02-15-2021, 11:47 AM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Not a huge deal, but the NMA unit gets power from the harness so you don't have to tap into the fuse box which is nice.
The following users liked this post:
Falcondrivr (02-28-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 10:49 AM
Carrera991
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 60 Posts

Recommended installers for this retrofit in the Tampa Bay area ?
Old 02-16-2021, 11:57 AM
dngo
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by theracer21
Anyone knows a shop in the Jersey City area to install the apple car planet module ?
Bit of a hike but Autoworks in Middletown, NJ will do it. https://autoworks-nj.com
The following users liked this post:
theracer21 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 04:27 PM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey gang - A few quick questions. Just recently got a 2013 Boxster (changed over from a 987.1 BS), and my 981 again has a manual transmission instead of PDK.

Ready to finally pull the trigger on one of these and hope to install a CarPlay unit before putting the car on the road in a few weeks.

1) I'm reading all the threads correctly -- Unichip version would allow me to have the curved lines (using steering info from the CANBUS) in a rear-view backup image, but Joyeauto would not because of the MT. Correct?

2) I can't seem to find any Unichip (or any clones) affordably available here in the US. Unichip AliExpress store doesn't even sell it anymore, which has me concerned about it being discontinued/obsolete already. Finally, from what I understand, NM Auto can't ship to the US anyhow. Plus, on a beer budget here and $350 vs $600+, would the only thing I'd be missing out on are those curved backup lines?

3) Is there any source anywhere that shows what the differences are between models? Surely they're all made in just a few models in a few factories.

4) ***** UPDATE: I just found a version for about $250 that looks pretty good, but isn't the Joyeauto version. I’d happily spend $100 less if it works and gets me 90% of the way there of the Joyeauto unit. Probably a whole bunch of clones floating around out there (again, all likely made in the same factory). Also, apparently it’s a smaller cable footprint unlike the Joyeauto. See photos below.

5) Any idea how to wire a front camera from the interior to the front bumper? If so, what routes did you take?

Very much understand the idea of (1) paying extra for technical support and (2) you get what you pay for. Meanwhile, I was very happy with my very generic Bluetooth adapter for my old PCM unit in my old 987.1 BS that was likely Russian -- and I'm okay with taking a chance with not buying from a bigger brand.

Thanks!

Last edited by foodbiker; 02-28-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:05 AM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by n2_space
My gt3 does not appear to have Sirius. My thought was looking at the after market units people put in for car play ( which I will do) the cable connector coming out of the pcm looks like it would fit this https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Sirius...58be%7Ciid%3A7

does any one think this would work and be able to connect to the joyeauto ?
I bought a used OEM sirus model on ebay. It came out of a Cayman but works fine. Mine was missing and I think they took it out because didn't want to add spacers to make it fit.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:21 PM
phansson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the install last night....a couple of questions

1. does the head unit always start to the Porsche Navi screen now? I had watched Auto Amateur and it automatically connects without pushing anything.
2. I am having some connection issues. It works great, just not connecting every time I start the car.
3. anyone know what firmware we should be running?
Old 03-07-2021, 11:32 AM
dkfx
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by phansson
I just did the install last night....a couple of questions

1. does the head unit always start to the Porsche Navi screen now? I had watched Auto Amateur and it automatically connects without pushing anything.
2. I am having some connection issues. It works great, just not connecting every time I start the car.
3. anyone know what firmware we should be running?
1. Mine always start with the regular headunit, and takes a few minutes to connect. I believe it's because it's transferring from using wifi from my house, to the wifi (via carplay, yes it uses wifi and bluetooth). Sometimes it won't switch over until the end of the street i'm on. If it never connects, go to settings, smart phone, then reboot.
2. I had this issue with one of my units, I tried a dozen different firmwares and never had great luck. I eventually got a new phone which solved the issue. odd huh?
3. Not sure what firmware you should be on now, but you can whatsapp the joye auto guys for the latest. They were pretty helpful in troubleshooting, through the time difference means i'm typically doing that at night.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:49 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Joy auto

Wont work with 7 speed ?

Old 03-09-2021, 02:15 PM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

From what I've read on the forums and my research, the key difference with the NM unit is that the dynamic parking lines on the reverse camera will curve if you've got a manual transmission as it senses the steering position information from the CANBUS. Not so with the Joyeauto.

As I have a manual transmission, I really wanted an NM (Unichip) unit but that's not worth an extra $300 to me.

Apparently both the Joyeauto and the NM units work with the curving dynamic backup lines if you have a PDK. NM unit has a smaller footprint, but Joyeauto appears to have a larger following. NM unit also doesn't require you to tap into the fusebox for power -- I think it gets it from the wiring to the PCM? With the Joyeauto, you have to also tap into the reverse backup lights for power.

After two weeks of research and agonizing, I finally pulled the trigger on a genuine Joyeauto unit for $350 on Aliexpress this week (plus tax, shipping) and will be done with it. Plus, some of the newer backup cameras offer their own dynamic curved lines -- but are questionable value as it's not as accurate as sensing the CANBUS per steering position.

Hope this helps and please feel free to correct me if any of what I've typed here is incorrect. Cheers!
Old 03-09-2021, 02:33 PM
Carrera991
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by foodbiker
From what I've read on the forums and my research, the key difference with the NM unit is that the dynamic parking lines on the reverse camera will curve if you've got a manual transmission as it senses the steering position information from the CANBUS. Not so with the Joyeauto.

As I have a manual transmission, I really wanted an NM (Unichip) unit but that's not worth an extra $300 to me.

Apparently both the Joyeauto and the NM units work with the curving dynamic backup lines if you have a PDK. NM unit has a smaller footprint, but Joyeauto appears to have a larger following. NM unit also doesn't require you to tap into the fusebox for power -- I think it gets it from the wiring to the PCM? With the Joyeauto, you have to also tap into the reverse backup lights for power.

After two weeks of research and agonizing, I finally pulled the trigger on a genuine Joyeauto unit for $350 on Aliexpress this week (plus tax, shipping) and will be done with it. Plus, some of the newer backup cameras offer their own dynamic curved lines -- but are questionable value as it's not as accurate as sensing the CANBUS per steering position.

Hope this helps and please feel free to correct me if any of what I've typed here is incorrect. Cheers!
are you installing it by yourself ?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1