Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2024, 03:23 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Could the suggestion that the rear fader settings from the last use of the PCM be relevant here? Maybe if the rears had zero volume before the PCM was removed it might account for the current problem?

Requires a quick refit of the PCM to try to fix it though....
This may be a red herring - surely someone who wants rear sound would already have the PCM settings to enable that, and thus these settings would automagically be OK?
Old 08-10-2024, 03:40 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Yes, but if the volume is a bit too low... Which is why we advise people to crank up the PCM before removing it..

I don't know but throwing out there for what it's worth

Last edited by andy2111; 08-10-2024 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2024, 10:43 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordBear
With my CHSTEK 7862e arriving next week, I just wanted to clarify whether anyone who has installed it has been getting sound to the rear speakers without any additional type of mod? My current PCM fader settings are set to have sound from the rear Bose speakers.
My rear speaker is pretty soft. I never thought of checking the fader setting before removing the PCM as mentioned by someone earlier, I might have had it faded more to the front. It didn't bother me since it sounded great / better than before. I guess you could try set your fader to default and see if it gives you better rear audio? If it works, I would try out back my PCM and reset it 😂
The following users liked this post:
StanfordBear (08-10-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 09:31 AM
ratt359
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
^^^^
It should be possible, with a bit of jiggery-pokery, to wire the front output to the rear output, stick a cheap potentiometer in somewhere (say under the dash or in the glove box) and create a rear speaker setup. Once a decent balance has been achieved between front and rear, the pot shouldn't need to be touched again, so can be hidden away. The caution would be that if the speakers are wired in parallel, then there is a halving of impedance to both sets. With 8 ohm speakers, this would give a total load impedance of 4 ohms for each speaker . This should be OK for most modern amps, but I would recommend checking the impedance of the existing speakers and the rating of the existing amp. If the original speakers are already 4 ohm, then dropping to 2 ohm might be more than the amp is happy with. Having said that, if the speakers are wired in series, then this should be safe - two 4 ohm speakers in series, for example, makes a total load impedance of 8 ohms (or two 2 ohm speakers = total load of 4 ohms) which most amps should be OK with. Bear in mind that changing the overall impedance will increase or decrease the power output of the amp.Parallel wiring = increased output power and Series winding = decreased output power. So a Series setup might result in insufficient amp grunt (although probably of no concern in a car setup for most).

For most people, these suggestions are probably not worth the trouble - esp. those with 2 seater cars. For those with 4 seater cars, it may be worthwhile if you regularly carry back seat passengers who want music. But in my own use scenario, if it's kids in the back seats, they are much happier using their phone to stream content of their choice. This has the knock-on benefit that the driver doesn't have to listen to Taylor Swift at max volume for hours on end
This is worth a read for those really keen to get sound to the rear speakers i.e. HU Rear RCA outputs > separate amp > outputs spliced into rear speaker cables. Not a 991.1-era car but concept will be the same.

Rennlist: Bose MOST adaptor loss of fade work around
Old 08-11-2024, 09:53 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ratt359
This is worth a read for those really keen to get sound to the rear speakers i.e. HU Rear RCA outputs > separate amp > outputs spliced into rear speaker cables. Not a 991.1-era car but concept will be the same.

Great thread! His idea is an extension of my post above - he has added an additional amp, but there's no necessity to do that as the HU is easily capable of driving the rear speakers (for most people anyway). I very much like his approach though and for those prepared to buy and install an aftermarket 2ch amp, this is the way to go. Good find Ratt
Old 08-11-2024, 01:12 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Was there a Rear RCA output? Don't remember seeing this
Old 08-11-2024, 01:49 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Was there a Rear RCA output? Don't remember seeing this
Some units have this, others don't. I can't recall which applies to the CHSTEK but @andy2111 will know.

The method I outlined doesn't need specific rear outputs - it just splits the front L&R signal.
Old 08-11-2024, 01:56 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Alas the CHSTEK does not have rear RCA outputs as far as I can remember. Its one of the very few drawbacks with this HU

I just found this article....MOST 4 channel Audio Converter - MBWorld.org Forums and if references it working in Porsches

".....PCG-642-580-00 from Porsche is a 4 channel audio converter to MOST interface for about $119-$180....."

its a bit light on detail but do any of the more techical folks out there have a view on this?
The following users liked this post:
StanfordBear (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 02:04 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

This is a 4 channel MOST adapter that is mentioned in a few places that you can order from Russia

OEM amplifier start adapter (activator, switch-on) Most-AMP 4.0 (playauto.ru)
OEM amplifier adapter Most-AMP 3.0 (playauto.ru)

Some mixed reviews if you search but its not that expensive and might be worth trying?
Old 08-11-2024, 02:57 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

well, almost negligible gain for the money in the 991. Maybe it would be worth it for bigger vehicles.
Old 08-11-2024, 04:02 PM
ratt359
Instructor

Alas the CHSTEK does not have rear RCA outputs as far as I can remember. Its one of the very few drawbacks with this HU

I just found this article....MOST 4 channel Audio Converter - MBWorld.org Forums and if references it working in Porsches

".....PCG-642-580-00 from Porsche is a 4 channel audio converter to MOST interface for about $119-$180....."

its a bit light on detail but do any of the more techical folks out there have a view on this?
@andy2111 can you confirm that the fader works as expected in non-Bose cars? If so, I believe there must be Front LR and Rear LR outputs via the quadlock. According to the guide, you don't use the Front LR RCAs for non-Bose. Please confirm that the fader issue is just for Bose/MOST cars.

Re: MOST adapter - everything that I've read (and I've done a bit today ) indicates that the MOST adapter sends to the full 5.1 speaker array on the 991.1 (Front LR, Rear LR, centre front dash tweeter + subwoofer), but perhaps not with the Front/Rear balance that some would like. I've done a lot of fiddling today and confirmed (a) output to all speakers and (b) fader changes via the EQ only change volume and not the Front/Rear balance - as you might expect, given the above.

Finally, apologies to @boxdriver who provided many of the fader workaround options in an earlier post

Last edited by ratt359; 08-11-2024 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2024, 04:27 PM
ratt359
Instructor

This is a 4 channel MOST adapter that is mentioned in a few places that you can order from Russia

OEM amplifier start adapter (activator, switch-on) Most-AMP 4.0 (playauto.ru)
OEM amplifier adapter Most-AMP 3.0 (playauto.ru)

Some mixed reviews if you search but its not that expensive and might be worth trying?
Thanks Andy. This one has come up before. Agree, not hugely expensive but two issues here...
(1) Bose users would need Front LR and Rear LR i.e. 4ch RCA inputs for this to work (hence my questions about the quadlock / potential hacking thereof) and
(2) as I understand, it would be very difficult to get anything sent from Russia right now
Old 08-11-2024, 05:29 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

@andy2111 can you confirm that the fader works as expected in non-Bose cars? If so, I believe there must be Front LR and Rear LR outputs via the quadlock. According to the guide, you don't use the Front LR RCAs for non-Bose. Please confirm that the fader issue is just for Bose/MOST cars.

Re: MOST adapter - everything that I've read (and I've done a bit today ) indicates that the MOST adapter sends to the full 5.1 speaker array on the 991.1 (Front LR, Rear LR, centre front dash tweeter + subwoofer), but perhaps not with the Front/Rear balance that some would like. I've done a lot of fiddling today and confirmed (a) output to all speakers and (b) fader changes via the EQ only change volume and not the Front/Rear balance - as you might expect, given the above.

Finally, apologies to @boxdriver who provided many of the fader workaround options in an earlier post
Good idea. If the fader is just a Bose problem, then maybe we can split the AUX out to the quadlock RR+RL and that should hopefully solve it.
Old 08-11-2024, 09:37 PM
jjeffreyadams
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All connected…but no power

I have read tons of threads but can’t find my answer.
Problem:
No power such as LCD, sound, electrical noise
BUT there is a red light blinking inside the head unit.

Current set up
New Chstek (https://www.ebay.com/itm/31530018169...mis&media=COPY)

All cables are plugged into head unit, MOST and AUX cable based on connectors from each unit. I have checked head unit fuse and fuse box.
I have not made any modifications to any cable from Chstek or the car.
I have attached pics from my unit. Any advise would be appreciated. I worked on this project for 3 hours today but no luck.
Old 08-11-2024, 10:16 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by jjeffreyadams

I have read tons of threads but can’t find my answer.
Problem:
No power such as LCD, sound, electrical noise
BUT there is a red light blinking inside the head unit.

Current set up
New Chstek (https://www.ebay.com/itm/31530018169...mis&media=COPY)

All cables are plugged into head unit, MOST and AUX cable based on connectors from each unit. I have checked head unit fuse and fuse box.
I have not made any modifications to any cable from Chstek or the car.
I have attached pics from my unit. Any advise would be appreciated. I worked on this project for 3 hours today but no luck.
I would just reach out to the seller. If you plug your PCM back in, do you get power? If so, something must be wrong with the unit, or some of the wiring in the android harness is wrong (doesn't match your pin out)

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-11-2024 at 10:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1