Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 01:46 AM
sfborn
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find an installer in bay area? I'm in San Rafael.
Old 07-23-2024, 01:54 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I got one of these remotes and I cant seem to figure how to pair the remote. It's connected to the pink Key1 cable on the head unit.

Anyone tried this? Knows what to do to get the unit to recognize the remote? I am at a lost after clicking buttons etc etc with the steering wheel app opened but nothing is happening.

@ZedZed any clue how to get this to work?
Old 07-23-2024, 12:44 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

@bmxtreme what have you done so far - have you been able to see the volume control as a BT device you can pair to the head unit? I know that @ZedZed installed his remote volume control in a completely different HU

I have struggled to pair non phone bluetooth devices to the Chstek. I have not investigated this link yet from an earlier post, but take a look

The other thing I discovered is that a lot of these Android headunits will only accept phones for bluetooth pairing. However, with a little hacking, you can get other devices to connect (e.g. OBD2 dongle). Again, this will depend on what underlying hardware you have. Some discussion here: https://xdaforums.com/t/android-newb...-unit.4656090/
Old 07-23-2024, 12:58 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by andy2111
@bmxtreme what have you done so far - have you been able to see the volume control as a BT device you can pair to the head unit? I know that @ZedZed installed his remote volume control in a completely different HU

I have struggled to pair non phone bluetooth devices to the Chstek. I have not investigated this link yet from an earlier post, but take a look

The other thing I discovered is that a lot of these Android headunits will only accept phones for bluetooth pairing. However, with a little hacking, you can get other devices to connect (e.g. OBD2 dongle). Again, this will depend on what underlying hardware you have. Some discussion here: https://xdaforums.com/t/android-newb...-unit.4656090/
Hey Andy, this remote doesn't connect to the HU BT (I don't think those will work), but it connects to the black box in the picture (possibly via BT). The black box is connected to the Key1 wire which is suppose to be used for the steering control.
The following users liked this post:
andy2111 (07-23-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 07:14 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Please report back your results.
I think it works. I believe I disabled the internal mic. I call myself and left a voicemail.
Old 07-23-2024, 07:18 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,050 Likes on 1,751 Posts

I think it works. I believe I disabled the internal mic. I call myself and left a voicemail.
Cool! Be sure to test the mic when you're driving, top up and top down if applicable.

And post a link to the mics you bought if you don't mind

Old 07-23-2024, 08:11 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Cool! Be sure to test the mic when you're driving, top up and top down if applicable.

And post a link to the mics you bought if you don't mind
lol, i have a coupe, but I can try with the windows open when I get a chance.
I didn't use an external mic. I use the built-in car mic which is mounted inside the steering column. Few post up I show the aux jack I bought that I tapped into the factory quadlock pin for the mics. The jack then connects to the mic-in of the headunit.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 07-23-2024 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2024, 08:45 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

I never install any mic, and everyone ive talked to said my voice sounds fine. Im assuming its grabbing the stock mic due to the canbus module included on mine. Not sure
Old 07-23-2024, 09:10 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
I never install any mic, and everyone ive talked to said my voice sounds fine. Im assuming its grabbing the stock mic due to the canbus module included on mine. Not sure
The head unit has a pin hole near the bottom left **** which is the built-in mic that the head unit uses.
Old 07-23-2024, 09:20 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Actually, I'll try the internal mic first. Easier to just unplug the external mic and try it rather than buy and install a new external mic. Keep in mind I leave in 4 days for a 2k road trip, so there's that.
Old 07-23-2024, 11:29 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Actually, I'll try the internal mic first. Easier to just unplug the external mic and try it rather than buy and install a new external mic. Keep in mind I leave in 4 days for a 2k road trip, so there's that.
I think you could just disable the external mic in the settings. Don't need to unplug.
Old 07-24-2024, 12:09 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I think you could just disable the external mic in the settings. Don't need to unplug.
Is that true? That would be REALLY helpful. I'm not with the car until tomorrow to check myself.
Old 07-24-2024, 12:27 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Is that true? That would be REALLY helpful. I'm not with the car until tomorrow to check myself.
Yeah, there's a mic setting that toggles between BACK and FRONT, which I take back means external mic.
AdamIsAdam (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 10:45 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Yeah, there's a mic setting that toggles between BACK and FRONT, which I take back means external mic.
Is this toggle on the Erisin? If so, what menu is it under? I only found the following switches (see pics). However, just like my volume settings, they do nothing, even rebooting after each change. HOWEVER, I did notice that while in AA on the phone, I've always had the choice of selecting between BT (which is the external mic) and handset (the cell phone) and a third option called Speakerphone.

UPDATE: SPEAKER PHONE ICON PUTS THE CALL ON THE CELL PHONE'S SPEAKER PHONE. I WAS INCORRECT BEFORE THINKING IT WAS THE HU SPEAKERPHONE SOMEHOW.

I UNPLUGGED THE EXTERNAL MIC AND NOW JUST HAVE THE PIN HOLE MIC NEXT TO THE VOLUME ***, WHICH IS MUCH BETTER SOUNDING THAN THE EXTERNAL MIC THAT COMES WITH THE HU. I HAVE NOT TRIED IT OUT ON THE ROAD, BUT IT CAN'T BE WORSE THAN THAT CHEAP MIC. NEXT STEP WILL BE TO TRY AND CONNECT THE FACTORY MICS AS DISCUSSED ABOVE.

At the bottom, I attached a voicemail recording I made. It starts with the external mic on, and the loud noise is my rubbing on the foam over the mic. Then I switch on Speakerphone, which is THE CELL PHONE'S SPEAKERPHONE. AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.

Erisin HU menu

Erisin HU sub-menu. Changing this selection does nothing.

Erisin HU sub-menu. Changing this selection does nothing.

Going into Android Auto

In AA, in phone screen, this defaults to BT icon

Tapping that icon brings up this menu, and selecting Speakerphone switches to the cell phone's speaker phone.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 07-24-2024 at 03:19 PM. Reason: CORRECTION ON SPEAKERPHONE FUNCTIONALITY AS NOTED ABOVE
bmxtreme (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 11:30 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

That's definitely WAY better on speakerphone - great detective work!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1