Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2024 | 07:30 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

That plug is for the FM antenna.

Not sure what your question is. Do you have the corresponding dual FM socket on your HU? If not, then you need an adapter.

If your HU has a DIN ISO connector (the black one in the image below), then you need a dual Fakra adapter to DIN FM antenna, something like in this image:

Last edited by ZedZed; 07-09-2024 at 07:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
djdunzie (07-10-2024)
Old 07-09-2024 | 09:32 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djdunzie

Also while I'm here, just wanted to confirm that when powering the reverse camera for a PDK, tapping the red wire is still the best method?
@djdunzie you need to tap the BROWN wire in the Chstek loom and connect it to the power wire for your reverse camera - do not use any other wire, they dont work.
The following 2 users liked this post by andy2111:
djdunzie (07-10-2024), john45in (07-10-2024)
Old 07-09-2024 | 09:43 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

So for ChStek, rear view cam wiring is for 3rd party cams. No way to wire OEM factory installed cam, or did I miss it? This seems to be the case as you need to plug in the video rca into the HU.
Old 07-10-2024 | 04:06 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

That's a good question - has anyone out there got an OEM camera working with a Chstek/Erisn head unit?

@Porsche_nuts what OEM cables do you have, or is it not obvious how the camera signal gets into the PCM?
Old 07-10-2024 | 05:58 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

I did an install of Penhui (post 1719) but removed it because of a host of issues, including no connection to oem back up cam. I tapped into brown and blue/black wires with no good results. Support was bad and they just said that I need a third-party cam as the unit did not support OEM. Am willing to try again, but not willing to rip out oem cam and put in a 3rd party one. Zed reported that his Erisin worked with oem cam, but wonder if there are any others.
Old 07-10-2024 | 07:50 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I did an install of Penhui (post 1719) but removed it because of a host of issues, including no connection to oem back up cam. I tapped into brown and blue/black wires with no good results. Support was bad and they just said that I need a third-party cam as the unit did not support OEM. Am willing to try again, but not willing to rip out oem cam and put in a 3rd party one. Zed reported that his Erisin worked with oem cam, but wonder if there are any others.
I have an OEM camera in my Panamera and an aftermarket camera in my wife's Cayman. In the Panamera, the OEM backup camera worked 'out of the box'. I didn't have to do a thing. I assume it gets all it needs to know either from the canbus or the quadlock wiring. In the Cayman, with the aftermarket camera, I had to use the normal procedure, outlined many times in this thread, of connecting the yellow RCA from the camera to the HU loom, and connecting the camera power wire to the wire marked on the Erisin loom as 'camera power' (or similar, I forget the exact wording now).

In the Panamera I have a totally different (and much more expensive) unit to those discussed in this thread (other than by member @Santirx who has a similar unit and who inspired me to fit the unit into the Panamera). It is a 12.3 inch widescren unit from Zwnav. In the Cayman, we have the Erisin as my wife doesn't want to disturb anything as it all works perfectly, despite me 'mentioning' the CHSTEK one or two times

I think your unit was an outlier and in our many PM exchanges, we never did figure out how to get the camera working. You may be right that the 'Erisin-style' units will only work with an aftermarket camera.
Old 07-10-2024 | 07:51 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
That's a good question - has anyone out there got an OEM camera working with a Chstek/Erisn head unit?

@Porsche_nuts what OEM cables do you have, or is it not obvious how the camera signal gets into the PCM?
With the OEM camera, there are no RCA jacks etc - it isn;t obvious how it works, but I suspect the camera is activated via the canbus when the car's reverse gear is engaged, possibly with the associated wiring being hardwired into the quadlock.
Old 07-10-2024 | 09:58 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Zed, since it worked with your Zwnav, it obviously can be programed to work with oem cams. Wonder why manufacturers are not doing so. Assume it is that costly to do and would make life easier for a good portion of their customer base. But what do I know.
Old 07-10-2024 | 11:19 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Zed, since it worked with your Zwnav, it obviously can be programed to work with oem cams. Wonder why manufacturers are not doing so. Assume it is that costly to do and would make life easier for a good portion of their customer base. But what do I know.
Well, my Panamera OEM cam worked with my Zwnav HU, but my HU might have different hardware, software, firmware - who knows? The Erisin and CHSTEK units are smaller form factor, from different manufacturers/sellers, so it's hard to come to a firm conclusion. Absent anyone with direct experience of fitting an Erisin or CHSTEK to a car with an OEM camera, it's hard to know what is going on. But yeah, they can definitely make it work if they put their minds to it.

If anyone has an OEM camera and has made it work with the CHSTEK or Erisin units, now is the time to gain massive kudos by speaking up
Old 07-10-2024 | 11:21 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

^^^^

We are definitely in the Wild West here, boldly going where no-one has gone before etc etc. It's a testament to the power of these forums that we have gotten as far as we have!
The following users liked this post:
djdunzie (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024 | 01:17 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

@Porsche_nuts As a suggestion you could message the manufacturer's support team to ask if they support OEM cameras. I can't figure out from your message if you already have an Erisin, or if you're considering the Chstek, but either way the support is reasonable and you should get an answer back from them..
Old 07-11-2024 | 01:06 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Gotta say, The Chstek guys on aliexpress have been pretty helpful, the only thing standing between us is time zones (and language barriers) \

Basically, i have the app called "CarBinLink" and its another form of apple carplay... but WIRED! When i loaded the app from the "126" menu, it had the option for "easy connect" which from past units ive had from other cars, is wired carplay..
I told them that the app is "unregistered" and shows a QR code. The Chstek tech guy im working with is forwarding it to the Dev guy to activate the app for me. It requires wifi (to activate) and when i plug my phone in, it defaults to that app!

Also, theyre giving me a partial refund for sending me the wrong unit. Which is nice because technically, i did buy this unit but asked for the other one...

Also, this unit sends alot more sound to the rear speakers (6125D)
Old 07-11-2024 | 09:56 AM
boxdriver
Racer

Originally Posted by boxdriver
Has anyone else been having any screen issues with the Chstek unit? Every now and then, when I start the car, the screen doesn't look right. It is scrambled up and off color. When it happens, it only is that way for 5-10 seconds then it clears up. Sometimes it is worse than others, but always has cleared up so far. I am afraid it might start getting worse. I would say that it happens maybe 1 in 10-15 times at startup. This photo is from yesterday. It is usually worse than this, but not always. I always have the unit in CarPlay, so it starts with the connecting to phone screen then goes to this screen. I don't notice the issue on the connecting screen, but that is mono color so I don't know if it is messed up also and I just can't tell or if that screen is fine.

When it happens, it looks like this or worse for a few seconds before it clears up.

This is what it should look like. This photo was taken within a second or two of the other photo.
Update:
So, I took several of the suggestions on here and this is what I have found so far.
Connections in back of unit seem to be fine. Everything was snug in place.
I took it out of loading on the CarPlay screen every time I start the car.
I didn't have it happen at all for a couple of weeks, so I put it back into autoloading in CarPlay mode. A few days ago, it happened again. I quickly put the car in reverse to activate the rear camera and the image was normal. I put the car back in neutral, and the CarPlay screen came back on and was still bad. I hit the home button, and the screen was fine, I then quickly put it back into CarPlay, but by this time the screen was fine. So, it seems like it is only happening in CarPlay for the first few seconds that the screen is on.
I'm not sure what, if anything can be done about this. Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2024 | 01:40 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

So it doesn't look like a hardware issue with your screen which is the good news. And good detective work so far!

That means it's either software or network. Things to try
  • ​​​​​Speak to Chstek support to see if they can help
  • See if there are any updates for the system apps on the Chstek
  • Have you recenly done a full reboot of the Chstek eg by pulling the fuse or the power and quadlock connectors? It's a bit of an IT cliché but it's worth trying a full power off followed by an auto connect attempt
  • Do you have another phone you can try? I know it might be tricky to arrange, but a second phone would rule in or out your phone being the thing that has the problem, rather than something on the Chstek
  • Can you reset the app you use to connect the head unit to your phone eg delete the app data and cache and then re pair your phone.. Maybe it will establish a more reliable connection
I think it's a case of methodically working through various options to try to narrow down the list of suspects..
Old 07-11-2024 | 02:28 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxdriver
Update:
So, I took several of the suggestions on here and this is what I have found so far.
Connections in back of unit seem to be fine. Everything was snug in place.
I took it out of loading on the CarPlay screen every time I start the car.
I didn't have it happen at all for a couple of weeks, so I put it back into autoloading in CarPlay mode. A few days ago, it happened again. I quickly put the car in reverse to activate the rear camera and the image was normal. I put the car back in neutral, and the CarPlay screen came back on and was still bad. I hit the home button, and the screen was fine, I then quickly put it back into CarPlay, but by this time the screen was fine. So, it seems like it is only happening in CarPlay for the first few seconds that the screen is on.
I'm not sure what, if anything can be done about this. Any suggestions?
I apologise for not following closely, but are you using a wired Carplay connection or wireless? If wired, have you tried a different cable? As Andy says, first rule of troubleshooting is reboot. Second rule is change the cable. I doubt if it will work, but it is something else you should try in your comprehensive troubleshooting of this strange issue.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1