Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 10:15 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver
@Joec500 when you had the NM Automotive system running, did your reverse camera stay on then you started going forward until you hit a certain MPH, or did it go off as soon as you took the car out of reverse?
Just as a FYI, my Panamera has an OEM backup camera. When the PCM 3.1 was in place, the camera continued to show the rear view until the car reached a certain mph (about 9mph I think) and then reverted to the normal screen. Since fitting my Android HU, the camera shows the normal screen immediately upon disengaging reverse gear. I actually prefer that behaviour.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:18 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I installed my Erisin Head Unit (HU) yesterday. Pretty straightforward. I do want to look info an adapter to be able to use the OEM mic one day. But right now. I have two questions:

How do I change the temp to display in F vs C?

And most importantly, backup camera is not working. Here's what's going on:

When I put the car in R (manual) I get power out which turns on the camera's LED lights, but as for video, nothing happens. Specifically, the HU doesn't change. It's not like the HU changes to the backup cam screen and there's no picture, rather, the HU doesn't seem to do anything when I'm reverse (yet the backup camera power wire does switch on as I said)

Thoughts?

This is my backup camera.

License Plate Backup Camera HD Night Vision Rear View Camera with 8 LEDs 170° Viewing Angle Waterproof Backup Rear Camera for Cars https://a.co/d/iokusam
It seems that the HU isn;t receiving the trigger signal which tells it to show the reverse camera screen. Is there a wire on your HU harness which is marked 'trigger'?
Old 05-24-2024, 10:28 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
It seems that the HU isn;t receiving the trigger signal which tells it to show the reverse camera screen. Is there a wire on your HU harness which is marked 'trigger'?
I used items 12 and 17 in this diagram.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 05-24-2024 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:37 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I used items 12 and 17 in this diagram.

You need to connect 16 to the camera's trigger wire.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:39 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

I joined these two wires for power at the camera. I can't tap into my backup lights and didn't think I had to.

Old 05-24-2024, 12:19 PM
mamick
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok I installed my Chstek unit replacing the Ersin unit. Took my a little longer as I reinstalled My PCM 3.1 to crank the volume up to 75% before powering it off ( I have the Bose amp), I missed this step on the Ersin install. *** Do no miss this step if you have the Bose configuration as I can testify it does make a difference. For those that are worried about not being OEM, it took me 20 minutes to convert back to OEM. My PCM 3.1 worked just like it did the day I uninstalled it. You do have to remember to move the optical connectors back if you have Bose.

I ordered my Chstek with the MOST box prewired. Ironically the MOST box they used was the same one I had ordered off of Amazon when I installed the Ersin HU. I did add 2 T-Taps for my back up camera, one for GND (tapped into MOST box GND lead) and one for PWR (which I tapped into the brown wire on the Android connector). Other than that it was just plug in all of the cables using existing or supplied adapters.

On the MOST box they have the Audio in labeled AUX RIN and AUX LIN, do NOT let this confuse you as they still have to be connected to AUDIO OUT L and AUDIO OUT R from the Chstek HU.

I used Blue painters tape to tape up the corners of the trim around the HU as the top of the Chstek unit is a much tighter fit. Worked great after installing the HU I was able to easily remove the tap and no damage to the trim!

Powered it on and it worked!

Things that made me happy:
- Dash board dimming worked without an update! Maybe they updated before sending my HU. It also fixed the gear and speed indicators which will still bright even after the Ersin fix.
- The radio display on the MFD works right out of the box, I know @ZedZed said it shouldn't but it does.
- The low volume with Siri and Carplay is no longer an issue! The volume of of texts and directions are no longer severely muted even using wireless Carplay ( I have not tried wired Carplay yet)
- Bigger screen and no more accidentally power it off when I am trying to adjust the volume. I really like the hard buttons but will probably remap them. Not sure what the CAR button even does

Things I want to improve:
- Not impressed with the base launcher it is not what I would call user friendly. I never updated the launcher on the Ersin and I am not an Android user, any recommendations on launchers and any guides to updating the launcher would be greatly appreciated!
- Change the hard button color to white from yellow/gold it is currently. I haven't found a setting for it yet, I went into the factory setting using 3368 and did not see anything? Any know what the code is to go into developer settings?
- Also it appears my SD button is broken, I think it was shipped broken I am going to contact Chstek and see if they will replace the unit. But is the SD button really needed?
The following 5 users liked this post by mamick:
Haidang (05-24-2024), Porsche_nuts (05-24-2024), q8linux (05-24-2024), ratt359 (05-24-2024), ZedZed (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 12:30 PM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Well done @mamick - and glad you used tape to protect the trim edges.

Originally Posted by mamick
- Bigger screen and no more accidentally power it off when I am trying to adjust the volume. I really like the hard buttons but will probably remap them. Not sure what the CAR button even does
I haven't found a way to remap the hard buttons (yet!) and the seller says it isn't possible. NAV can be set your preferred (HU-installed) maps. CAR adjusts screen brightness (!).

- Not impressed with the base launcher it is not what I would call user friendly. I never updated the launcher on the Ersin and I am not an Android user, any recommendations on launchers and any guides to updating the launcher would be greatly appreciated!
Please see posts above re: launchers. Everyone will have their own preference. Mine is VIVID.

- Change the hard button color to white from yellow/gold it is currently. I haven't found a setting for it yet, I went into the factory setting using 3368 and did not see anything? Any know what the code is to go into developer settings?
Settings > General > Lantern Settings
- Also it appears my SD button is broken, I think it was shipped broken I am going to contact Chstek and see if they will replace the unit. But is the SD button really needed?
Not a button and not broken. It's a cover for an SD card slot that is not used on these units. Go figure! You're not the first to think it's broken!

Thanks for all the detail - really useful for others and we'll incorporate into the guide.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:32 PM
mamick
Intermediate

@AdamIsAdam On the temperature setting @ZedZed helped me with this months ago in post 1764

For all other sound settings, you will have to go into the Factory special menu. The code is 3368. Once there you will also see a setting called Out Temperature Fahrenheit - you may want to select this, although IDK what it does. I am guessing it allows you to set the Outside Temperature to read in F instead of the (default) C.
I would look at my HU menus but it is sitting here on my desk as I replaced it with the Chstek unit this morning.

I am sure you may get teh response but make sure your parking brake is not on as they will not allow the camera to work.

The camera (got form Amazon) I installed had three wires and an RCA video jack. I connected the GND to GND, the PWR to the Green CAM PWR lead from the HU and the trigger wire (from the camera) I did not connect to anything. I connected the RCA video jack from the camera to the the Green RCA jack labeled R CAM on the HU.
The following users liked this post:
tj90 (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 12:33 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

- The radio display on the MFD works right out of the box, I know @ZedZed said it shouldn't but it does.
I don't think I said it shouldn't - I said I don't see how it can since the cable that connects the PCM to the MFD is now not connected to anything at all So are you seeing the radio station frequency, name and content broadcast in the MFD now? If so, that is amazing (and unfathomable!_.

There's a section in the Guide about this.

It isn't a button - it's a cover for the SD card holder.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:39 PM
mamick
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ratt359
Well done @mamick - and glad you used tape to protect the trim edges.

I haven't found a way to remap the hard buttons (yet!) and the seller says it isn't possible. NAV can be set your preferred (HU-installed) maps. CAR adjusts screen brightness (!).

Please see posts above re: launchers. Everyone will have their own preference. Mine is VIVID.

Settings > General > Lantern Settings

Not a button and not broken. It's a cover for an SD card slot that is not used on these units. Go figure! You're not the first to think it's broken!

Thanks for all the detail - really useful for others and we'll incorporate into the guide.
@ratt359 Thanks for the info, yeah the SD had me worried. I was trying to figure out how I broke it.

The tape trick was based on others talking about scratching the leather.

This forum is really informative and great way to learn. Have to keep up daily as there lots of posts! Which is great!
Old 05-24-2024, 12:43 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

Great writeup and happy to see everyone enjoying CHSTEK.

I am tempted. I bought Penhui and had issues, so went back to OEM.

@mamick do you have OEM back up cam or 3rd party?
Old 05-24-2024, 12:44 PM
mamick
Intermediate

@ZedZed yes the radio display in the MFD works, it worked as follows with the Ersin unit, if you changed radio stations it would show the radio station but it would default to T0000. But ince it showed a radio station it would update as you changed displays.

But with the Chstek unit it works as soon as I power it one and if I switch stations it change sand updates, so no T0000 default display.

Just to clarify I have only tried FM radio stations.

For giggles I tried the Telephone display on the MFD and all it says is BT, oh well it was worth a shot.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:51 PM
mamick
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Great writeup and happy to see everyone enjoying CHSTEK.

I am tempted. I bought Penhui and had issues, so went back to OEM.

@mamick do you have OEM back up cam or 3rd party?
I bought this camera off of Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-24-2024, 01:15 PM
mamick
Intermediate

If anyone is in the states and wants my Ersin HU with a prewired MOST box for BOSE (can be removed if not needed), $100 shipping included. Just PM me. HU works great and has all cables and has been updated with CANbus upgrade for dash dimming.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa
Old 05-24-2024, 01:48 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

... and likewise if anyone in the UK would like an Erisin HU for non-BOSE, with the bright lights fix and some much more OEM style control ***** then please PM me!

Last edited by andy2111; 05-24-2024 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1