Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 01:17 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam

THIS LOOKS GREAT! I would like to do this with my Erisin. Newbie question: how do I do this? LOL. How do I get my HU to connect to Wifi? Do I just download this app to the HU directly? (do you have the link for it?)
Again, sorry for the Newbie questions. I'm taking all this info in like drinking from a fire hose
Check out our guide for all the details on how to get online and dowloading apps.

In summary:
  • You need to be connected to the internet, so either connect to your home wifi if you have reception in your garage, or hot spot from your phone
  • Setup a Google account so you can download apps from the Google Play store
  • Go to the store and search for "AGAMA launcher" - download and run it
  • In Agama, click the cog icon in the bottom right, scroll all the way down and click "instructions" for a guide on how to set it up
  • Once you get Agama installed you can make it the default launcher (home screen), set the car icon to Porsche, change the colour scheme etc etc.
PM me if you need any help in configuring Agama...
The following users liked this post:
AdamIsAdam (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 01:24 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
That hiss is just too much voltage going into your stock amp.

I would figure out which wires feed the stock amp and just use the rca outputs on the back of the unit since they are line level.

I would wire rca’s like these directly into the wires on the head unit harness’ stock amp output to bypass. I bet it will make a cleaner sound.
Yep, I had the same on the Erisin. I popped out the speaker connector block from the Quadlock, fabricated a plug that connected to the speaker block, put some RCAs on the end of it and then connected to the 4X RCA outs so I was feeding a non-amplified signal to the ASK amp - and I still had hiss!

Then I fitted ground loop isolators to the front and rear outputs and it improved it, but didn't fix it entirely. It's a nice non-destructive and fully reversable mod.

I'll see how I get on as I could fit it and see if it makes a difference..

Old 05-27-2024, 01:47 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Yep, I had the same on the Erisin. I popped out the speaker connector block from the Quadlock, fabricated a plug that connected to the speaker block, put some RCAs on the end of it and then connected to the 4X RCA outs so I was feeding a non-amplified signal to the ASK amp - and I still had hiss!

Then I fitted ground loop isolators to the front and rear outputs and it improved it, but didn't fix it entirely. It's a nice non-destructive and fully reversable mod.

I'll see how I get on as I could fit it and see if it makes a difference..

Oh man...weird. I don't think the ground loop isolators would help with the hiss, they tend to help more with engine noise from a bad ground etc.
Typically hiss is caused by gain mismatch, especially if it's a constant noise versus engine speed dependent. Unfortunately that stock amp doesn't have gain adjustment.

Personally I would just pull out that stock amp and get a nice aftermarket one - Super easy swap, especially for non MOST Amp'd cars.

Old 05-27-2024, 01:50 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I'll add it to the list! 😁

​​​​​Sports exhaust retrofit is next up!

Last edited by andy2111; 05-27-2024 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 03:21 PM
Haidang
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

So I have completed the setup and configuration of the Chstek. It looks absolutely fantastic in the car with a real OEM style to it - anyone who saw it that isn't a Porsche nut would not know it's an aftermarket unit.
  • There is a slight hiss (it's non Bose) due to to the double amplified audio output - same as the Erisin. I really don't think I'm going to bother with my ground loop isolator fix, it's just not that big a deal.
  • I thought I'd fixed the bright lights issue yesterday when I regained the use of the rotary dash illumination control, but today it no longer works. What's the experience out there for everyone - have people had the issue, applied the fix and then had everything work as expected?
  • I can't see a software update menu like there was in the Erisin - anyone find it? There's the CAN update menu, but I'd expect there to be a general software update menu like the Erisin had for OS updates etc - maybe its hidden behind a different password protected menu.

Hopefully that's the last HU installation I do - at least until Porsche release PCCM for the 991!
Hey Andy
I just got my Agama😁
Im still struggle with my steering wheel control, emailed Chstek however they are not response yet!

Thank you very much.
ZedZed (05-28-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 03:24 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Looks great!
Old 05-27-2024, 05:33 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

What does this setting do?

I'd love to find a setting that adjusts the volume level with car speed or noise level automatically. Is that what this is?

Old 05-27-2024, 05:42 PM
Haidang
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd love to find a setting that adjusts the volume level with car speed or noise level automatically. Is that what this is?

Hey Adam,
Turn it on then test drive

anderson930 (05-30-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 05:50 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Carwebguru launcher allows that.

Old 05-28-2024, 09:53 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

I'll add it to the list! 😁

​​​​​Sports exhaust retrofit is next up!
Don't forget the Pedal Commander! Essential upgrade IMO.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:21 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Don't forget the Pedal Commander! Essential upgrade IMO.
hey!!! I actually have one on my 4th gen V8 4Runner. It’s awesome on that platform.
ZedZed (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 12:59 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Check out our guide for all the details on how to get online and dowloading apps.

In summary:
  • You need to be connected to the internet, so either connect to your home wifi if you have reception in your garage, or hot spot from your phone
  • In Agama, click the cog icon in the bottom right, scroll all the way down and click "instructions" for a guide on how to set it up
  • Once you get Agama installed you can make it the default launcher (home screen), set the car icon to Porsche, change the colour scheme etc etc.
Hey,
I'm going to try Agama. I love the way yours look. Quick question: does it allow me to set a speed-dependent volume function? I know @ZedZed said CarWebGuru has that feature, but I like the look of your launch screen a little bit better - looks OEM.

I was able to connect wifi to my internet, and I'll refer to the instruction guide for basic questions. But I'm wondering about these specific questions and general comparisons between different launchers. My intended use in general is 90% AA.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:13 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Yes, Agama does have that feature in Settings/Volume/Auto volume from speed - I have not tested it though!

A tip on customizing how Agama looks - go into Settings/Theme editor options and from there click the box for "advanced design settings".

Then when you go into Settings/Theme editor there is a tab at the top for "expert" mode - click this

You will see lots of options like Color1, Color 2, Line etc - when you click them they "flash" on the screen so you can see exactly what element you will be changing

I used this to make mine a largely greyscale display with a red accent

Have fun and share your pics!

Last edited by andy2111; 05-28-2024 at 03:34 PM.
AdamIsAdam (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 08:13 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

In summary:
I'm making progress! How do I get that "MUSIC PLAYER" controller to work? It won't do anything when I long press it - it says it's locked or not programmed or something like that. Can it control station or song skip?

Old 05-28-2024, 08:21 PM
PDR447
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the Isudar guy still read this? I got sent a firmware update that bricked my board and emails have gone unanswered.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1