Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 11:51 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts

Finally got round to installing the Chstek. Just powered it on and can confirm that the backup camera on a PDK just needs the wire tap on the brown wire as already mentioned here.

Got to take the dog for a walk now and so will get back to it later..

Last edited by andy2111; 05-25-2024 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:07 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

... one dog walk later and we're up and running!

Had to connect the AMP CON wire to a +12V tap as already described here to wake up my Non BOSE amplifier. I need to spend a lot of time configuring everything now but some quick observations versus the Erisin
  • Whilst the launcher is Cr@p, the Android software (menu system, settings etc) is much slicker and far better designed - there's an OEMish style to all the menus which gives it a more professional feel
  • The pull down top menu is also much better and easier to use
  • Talking of the launcher, those apps on the carousel look like they should be swipeable... anyone able to move them?! Mine won't budge!
  • My right front speaker now works! I always suspected it was an issue with the (my) Erisin and this proves it.
  • No hiss from the speakers that I noticed but will listen more closely tomorrow.
  • I think I have the bright lights issue... its daytime so its hard to tell, but I can't change the instrument lighting using the rotary control which is tell tale sign. I'll apply the fix tomorrow
  • Why, why, why are wire taps needed for the amp and backup camera?! The Erisin just worked out of the box, so this is really poor and there's no excuse for Chstek on this one
  • I miss having the extra USB socket that the Erisin has. I might try the passive mini hub again, otherwise I'll have to run the TPMS from the glovebox USB
  • Android reports 8BG RAM and 256GB storage, which is what I paid for, so all good there
  • GPS fixes are pretty fast. Something happened a couple of weeks ago with my original GPS antenna, lots of testing but no reception so I switched to the add-on antenna that came with the Erisin. Doing the same with the CHSTEK now
  • Where are people positioning their 4G and GPS antennas? Anyone popped the A-pillar trim or tried to get them into the headliner?
Will continue to play around with it and report back...
The following 4 users liked this post by andy2111:
anderson930 (05-30-2024), ralphsmit (05-26-2024), ratt359 (05-26-2024), ZedZed (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 02:29 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 210 Posts

Interesting about the OEM gps antenna. My wife has found on one or two occasions recently that her gps has lost her location. It came back and went and came back. I checked that the adapter was still firmly plugged in to the OEM cable and the HU, and it was. I left it alone and the problem hasn't happened again, so far.

Regarding the GPS dongle, on my Panamera I pushed it into and up into the cavity and stuck it to the underside of the dash where it has remained. Seems to find plenty of satellites according to the GPS Test app.
The following users liked this post:
andy2111 (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 03:26 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

Does anyone know if the CHSTEK units work with burmester sound system? I see mention of Burmester for PCM 4.0 but not 3.1. I have a 991.1 with Burmester, currently with an Isudar board which mostly works but it doesn't power off for 30 minutes and I'm about done with it.
Old 05-26-2024, 02:04 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I have Burmester in my 991.1 GTS. I have the Carlinklife Apple CarPlay modification. I reached out to the company about this issue. They mentioned using Aux Bluetooth instead of Aux for an improved speaker output for Siri. I will try this and keep you posted if this actually works.
Old 05-26-2024, 02:06 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Spent ages today setting up all the software on the Chstek e.g. navigation app, copying music to the HDD, new launcher, setup wireless AA, TPMS etc. I'm nearly done now, just need to route the GPS and 4G antennae cables and make sure the installation is as invisible as possible

As mentioned yesterday I am really impressed with the HU operating software - OK it's not Google or Apple UI quality, but its so much easier to use than the Erisin

I applied the Canbus fix for bright lights and it didn't appear to do anything (tested by using the rotary control for the instrument lights, which didn't respond). I pulled the quadlock - still no luck - then remembered the Chstek has an external powered canbox unlike the Erisin so I pulled and refitted that, but still no luck..

Then I pulled the PCM 25A fuse as another contributor has already mentioned here and it worked! There must be something in the car that's external to the HU that also needs a full restart. I've still not driven in the dark to check the bright lights, but the signs are good now that I can use the rotary control...We'll add this to the guide as a recommended step.
The following 3 users liked this post by andy2111:
ratt359 (05-26-2024), sletcher (05-26-2024), ZedZed (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 03:24 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,075 Likes on 1,769 Posts

I've been getting to know my new Erisin HU. I just ordered the
cables cables
to connect the OEM GPS antenna and
this this
one, which I'm not totally sure what it's for now since my FM antenna plugged in. What's this one for?

More importantly, how do I use the OEM mic with the Erisin?
Old 05-26-2024, 10:08 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
... one dog walk later and we're up and running!

Had to connect the AMP CON wire to a +12V tap as already described here to wake up my Non BOSE amplifier. I need to spend a lot of time configuring everything now but some quick observations versus the Erisin
  • Whilst the launcher is Cr@p, the Android software (menu system, settings etc) is much slicker and far better designed - there's an OEMish style to all the menus which gives it a more professional feel
  • The pull down top menu is also much better and easier to use
  • Talking of the launcher, those apps on the carousel look like they should be swipeable... anyone able to move them?! Mine won't budge!
  • My right front speaker now works! I always suspected it was an issue with the (my) Erisin and this proves it.
  • No hiss from the speakers that I noticed but will listen more closely tomorrow.
  • I think I have the bright lights issue... its daytime so its hard to tell, but I can't change the instrument lighting using the rotary control which is tell tale sign. I'll apply the fix tomorrow
  • Why, why, why are wire taps needed for the amp and backup camera?! The Erisin just worked out of the box, so this is really poor and there's no excuse for Chstek on this one
  • I miss having the extra USB socket that the Erisin has. I might try the passive mini hub again, otherwise I'll have to run the TPMS from the glovebox USB
  • Android reports 8BG RAM and 256GB storage, which is what I paid for, so all good there
  • GPS fixes are pretty fast. Something happened a couple of weeks ago with my original GPS antenna, lots of testing but no reception so I switched to the add-on antenna that came with the Erisin. Doing the same with the CHSTEK now
  • Where are people positioning their 4G and GPS antennas? Anyone popped the A-pillar trim or tried to get them into the headliner?
Will continue to play around with it and report back...
I just use the car's GPS antennas and it seems to work fine for me, and I was lazy and crammed my 4g antenna behind my dash LOL. Seems to work fine.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:24 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

For some reason my cars GPS antenna isn't working, so I have to use an add on. I got one from Amazon with a 3m cable and I manged to hide all the cables in the A-pillart and seal strips and placed it right next to the rear view mirror - you'd never know it was there. I did the same with the 4G antenna.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:36 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

What do I need to buy in order to use the OEM mic with my Erisin. And which wires are the OEM mic lines?

I've searched this thread but can't seem to find it. I'm a bad googler.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:37 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

So I have completed the setup and configuration of the Chstek. It looks absolutely fantastic in the car with a real OEM style to it - anyone who saw it that isn't a Porsche nut would not know it's an aftermarket unit.
  • There is a slight hiss (it's non Bose) due to to the double amplified audio output - same as the Erisin. I really don't think I'm going to bother with my ground loop isolator fix, it's just not that big a deal.
  • I thought I'd fixed the bright lights issue yesterday when I regained the use of the rotary dash illumination control, but today it no longer works. What's the experience out there for everyone - have people had the issue, applied the fix and then had everything work as expected?
  • I can't see a software update menu like there was in the Erisin - anyone find it? There's the CAN update menu, but I'd expect there to be a general software update menu like the Erisin had for OS updates etc - maybe its hidden behind a different password protected menu.

Hopefully that's the last HU installation I do - at least until Porsche release PCCM for the 991!

Last edited by andy2111; 05-27-2024 at 12:39 PM.
ZedZed (05-28-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 12:41 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
What do I need to buy in order to use the OEM mic with my Erisin. And which wires are the OEM mic lines?

I've searched this thread but can't seem to find it. I'm a bad googler.
I'm not aware that you can use the OEM mic. AFAIK you have to use the one built into the HU, or use the add on that comes with it. Have you tested the sound quality with the built in mic?
AdamIsAdam (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 12:42 PM
Haidang
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

So I have completed the setup and configuration of the Chstek. It looks absolutely fantastic in the car with a real OEM style to it - anyone who saw it that isn't a Porsche nut would not know it's an aftermarket unit.
  • There is a slight hiss (it's non Bose) due to to the double amplified audio output - same as the Erisin. I really don't think I'm going to bother with my ground loop isolator fix, it's just not that big a deal.
  • I thought I'd fixed the bright lights issue yesterday when I regained the use of the rotary dash illumination control, but today it no longer works. What's the experience out there for everyone - have people had the issue, applied the fix and then had everything work as expected?
  • I can't see a software update menu like there was in the Erisin - anyone find it? There's the CAN update menu, but I'd expect there to be a general software update menu like the Erisin had for OS updates etc - maybe its hidden behind a different password protected menu.

Hopefully that's the last HU installation I do - at least until Porsche release PCCM for the 991!
Look great man.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:47 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I'm not aware that you can use the OEM mic. AFAIK you have to use the one built into the HU, or use the add on that comes with it. Have you tested the sound quality with the built in mic?
I installed the external mic on the steering column. I'll play with the settings now to see how good it sounds. It works for now, I was just hoping I could use the OEM mic.

EDIT: Moved the mic a bit:

THIS LOOKS GREAT! I would like to do this with my Erisin. Newbie question: how do I do this? LOL. How do I get my HU to connect to Wifi? Do I just download this app to the HU directly? (do you have the link for it?)
Again, sorry for the Newbie questions. I'm taking all this info in like drinking from a fire hose!

My current mic setup. I was thinking it was temporary, but maybe not. It's a Boxster, so I left the foam on.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 05-28-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 01:16 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 618 Posts

That hiss is just too much voltage going into your stock amp.

I would figure out which wires feed the stock amp and just use the rca outputs on the back of the unit since they are line level.

I would wire rca’s like these directly into the wires on the head unit harness’ stock amp output to bypass. I bet it will make a cleaner sound.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ECAQQFA&adurl=

Last edited by Joec500; 05-27-2024 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1