Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2023 | 09:52 AM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
Oooo this one has *****, very tempting to try.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKaOWlY
... and it's actually flat black bezel... not that shiny stuff... Looks promising. If I wasn't happy with my isudar board, i'd do it. But i'm done messing with this for now
Old 08-11-2023 | 10:07 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joec500
Oooo this one has *****, very tempting to try.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKaOWlY
Be careful here. That unit's screen is no bigger than the PCM 3.1 screen - the controls at the bottom look like they are permanent (not part of the screen as such):

Also, looking at the back, I can't see anywhere on the 'big ***' connector where the fibre optic cables would connect to. Usually, these have to be removed from the OEM big *** connector and transferred to the new BA connector, but I don't see anywhere they would go - looks like there is just a blank in the corner where the fibre optic usually shines into.

I'm kinda guessing here, based just on the images. But if you have Bose or Burmeister, it might be worth checking with the seller before proceeding.

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-11-2023 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2023 | 10:12 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Hold on - is this the location for the fibre optics?

If so, that's that problem taken care of. Personally, I'd want to be sure that the screen real estate was bigger though, as that is a significant benefit of this type of aftermarket unit.
Old 08-11-2023 | 11:40 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Hold on - is this the location for the fibre optics?

If so, that's that problem taken care of. Personally, I'd want to be sure that the screen real estate was bigger though, as that is a significant benefit of this type of aftermarket unit.
It looks like the optical output is included.

Here are the PCM inputs and I’m still trying to figure out if the other inputs including the MFD display(instrument cluster video connection) is included??? I have the sport’s design wheel so I’m willing to have a smaller screen for actual *****.

below are blowups of the inputs

Last edited by Jim981CS; 08-11-2023 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 08-11-2023 | 01:04 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Found this video. It is for a Macan, and wiring may be different, but at least it will give you an idea of what may be involved.

The following users liked this post:
Santirx (08-31-2023)
Old 08-11-2023 | 01:40 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chriswit1
Works great with Bose. I have a whole tutorial on how to set it up. It's also the newest version and it's super skinny so it so easy to fit the wires. It also came with the aftermarket chronicle clock. But they work together.
Hi - would you share a link to the tutorial please? That would be very helpful to me in deciding on this unit. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2023 | 01:59 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
It looks like the optical output is included.

Here are the PCM inputs and I’m still trying to figure out if the other inputs including the MFD display(instrument cluster video connection) is included??? I have the sport’s design wheel so I’m willing to have a smaller screen for actual *****.

below are blowups of the input

Great post - thank you! @Sidvicious7 remarked that he had to install an aftermarket backup camera as the OEM camera didn't work. You mention that the OEM backup camera is wired via the main OEM 'big ***' connector. Do you know (or anyone?) which pair of wires in that connector are for the video feed from the camera to the head unit (PCM)? I don't want to install an aftermaket camera. I'd guess that if we knew which wires are for the OEM video feed, we could splice an RCA jack into them to work with this unit? Any thoughts?

I am thinking of buying that similar unit for the Panamera (pics posted above) - it seems to have the same, or similar, connections as your unit, laid out slightly differently. I am in touch with an incredibly helpful Chinese lady but her tech knowledge is limited and the Panamera unit is brand new and isn't even on the Alibaba site yet. She says it comes with NO installation instructions, but their tech will be very pleased to help me. I am sure she speaks in good faith, but I'd prefer to have a heads-up from the guys in this thread before pulling the trigger. If the thing doesn't work as I expect, it is costly to return it for a refund, so I'd rather be sure before I go ahead. Thanks. So far, my last remaining question seems to be about the backup camera. Any help gratefully received.
Old 08-11-2023 | 05:56 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Be careful here. That unit's screen is no bigger than the PCM 3.1 screen - the controls at the bottom look like they are permanent (not part of the screen as such):

Also, looking at the back, I can't see anywhere on the 'big ***' connector where the fibre optic cables would connect to. Usually, these have to be removed from the OEM big *** connector and transferred to the new BA connector, but I don't see anywhere they would go - looks like there is just a blank in the corner where the fibre optic usually shines into.

I'm kinda guessing here, based just on the images. But if you have Bose or Burmeister, it might be worth checking with the seller before proceeding.
It looks like they may also have an additional unit with a “Tesla screen” with a 8.4” full screen and no *****. It’s is considerably more$$$$ than with the smaller screen and ***** but the functions and features reads like they are otherwise similar.
Jim

Last edited by Jim981CS; 08-11-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2023 | 08:02 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Great post - thank you! @Sidvicious7 remarked that he had to install an aftermarket backup camera as the OEM camera didn't work. You mention that the OEM backup camera is wired via the main OEM 'big ***' connector. Do you know (or anyone?) which pair of wires in that connector are for the video feed from the camera to the head unit (PCM)? I don't want to install an aftermaket camera. I'd guess that if we knew which wires are for the OEM video feed, we could splice an RCA jack into them to work with this unit? Any thoughts?

I am thinking of buying that similar unit for the Panamera (pics posted above) - it seems to have the same, or similar, connections as your unit, laid out slightly differently. I am in touch with an incredibly helpful Chinese lady but her tech knowledge is limited and the Panamera unit is brand new and isn't even on the Alibaba site yet. She says it comes with NO installation instructions, but their tech will be very pleased to help me. I am sure she speaks in good faith, but I'd prefer to have a heads-up from the guys in this thread before pulling the trigger. If the thing doesn't work as I expect, it is costly to return it for a refund, so I'd rather be sure before I go ahead. Thanks. So far, my last remaining question seems to be about the backup camera. Any help gratefully received.
Correction ZedZed: My bad if i wasn’t clear. My 991.1 was not equipped with a backup camera, so I had to add an aftermarket backup camera with the composite wire. I ran the composite wire through the center console, under the back seats and through the right rear fire wall towards the rear bumper. Yes, I remove the center console (it can be done without removal but difficult to fish wire), back cushions and seat rest plus the rear carpet panel under the rear glass to access the fire wall. There is a large wiring harness which attaches to the rear bumper. The brown wire is the negative for the 12 VDC. You can tap the positive wire to the backup light when the vehicle is set in reverse to supply the positive 12 VDC.

BTW: The aftermarket Krandon more than likely will come with the instructions in a soft menu vs a hardcopy or booklet. Also request the access code from the vendor to override setting just in case you can’t access the manual. The access code allows you to change the startup display on the Krando among other settings.

Zed Zed ensure you inform the seller to download the Porsche Icon/Logo in to your head unit. I believe they use PNG format for these units. They also use a generic Porsche Icon. If you have a preference icon to set as your wallpaper or boot icon, ask if you can email or send it to them so them may install it for you. Loading the icon is not as easy as it seems.

Here is the icon I added to my wallpaper. I used Procreate on my iPad to enhance and modify the image and convert to a PNG file.

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 08-11-2023 at 08:25 PM.
ZedZed (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023 | 12:05 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
Correction ZedZed: My bad if i wasn’t clear. My 991.1 was not equipped with a backup camera, so I had to add an aftermarket backup camera with the composite wire. I ran the composite wire through the center console, under the back seats and through the right rear fire wall towards the rear bumper. Yes, I remove the center console (it can be done without removal but difficult to fish wire), back cushions and seat rest plus the rear carpet panel under the rear glass to access the fire wall. There is a large wiring harness which attaches to the rear bumper. The brown wire is the negative for the 12 VDC. You can tap the positive wire to the backup light when the vehicle is set in reverse to supply the positive 12 VDC.
Thanks, Sid. I think you were clear enough - I ***-u-med and thought you'd said the thing ONLY worked with an aftermarket camera. I have installed so many aftermarket cameras in the past few months that, TBH, I just don't have the appetite for doing another. As you know, it can be quite a lengthy and tedious process to do it 'invisibly'. And especially so as my car already has the OEM camera.

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
BTW: The aftermarket Krandon more than likely will come with the instructions in a soft menu vs a hardcopy or booklet. Also request the access code from the vendor to override setting just in case you can’t access the manual. The access code allows you to change the startup display on the Krando among other settings.

Zed Zed ensure you inform the seller to download the Porsche Icon/Logo in to your head unit. I believe they use PNG format for these units. They also use a generic Porsche Icon. If you have a preference icon to set as your wallpaper or boot icon, ask if you can email or send it to them so them may install it for you. Loading the icon is not as easy as it seems.
Two excellent tips there, thanks. The logo is especially important, IMO, to retain as much of an OEM look as possible.

I wonder if @Santirx installed the logo himself, or if his was pre-loaded by the manufacturer.

Old 08-17-2023 | 01:21 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I bought this unit for my Panamera:

https://zwnav.net/products/8-256gb-a...62939421483736

I'll post my findings to the thread when it arrives and is installed.

Looks like my wife's Cayman will be getting the Isudar board from my PCM.

EDIT: Love the phonetic spelling of 'Panamera'

Last edited by ZedZed; 08-17-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Porsche_nuts (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023 | 01:43 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Will do install yourself or take it to a shop?
Old 08-17-2023 | 02:11 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Will do install yourself or take it to a shop?
I'll do it myself. It ought to be easier than installing the Isudar board since there's no PCM to open up and mess with. So I figured that if I can do the Isudar, I can do this. It is. allegedly, 'plug and play' but sometimes the Chinese idea of PnP differs a little from mine I've researched it as much as I can - the hardest part seems to be re-routing the central air vents to direct the airflow to the new vents, under the screen. This is assuming the electrical side is as straightforward as ZWNAV lead me to believe. The unit, again allegedly, picks up the OEM backup camera, the Bose stereo and original amplifier and works as it does now. All the settings that are in the PCM (eg Trip, some functions such as 'welcome home light delay etc) are replicated in the new unit. I will lose the satnav from the Multi Functional Display, but I have never used the OEM navigation anyway, so that's no loss. Will also, I assume, lose the phone function from the MFD, but that doesn't really matter as the phone will be controlled from the Carplay/Android Auto screen now. The 'vital signs' in the MFD (oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, battery, range, time and date) are, apparently, all carried across from the new unit,

On paper, it all looks good, but we'll see. If it doesn't live up to expectations, it can go back to China. I won't be removing the Isudar board from my PCM until I have thoroughly tested this new unit. So the worst case is that I reinstall the PCM and carry on as I am now (which to be honest is a great solution - I am very pleased with the Isudar functionality and my main reason for going for this new unit is the way it 'modernises' the look of the car. It will look very similar to the current Panamera.

I'll take some photos of the install and post them here. The unit will take about two weeks to arrive, so they say.
Old 08-17-2023 | 02:24 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Looking forward to your install and review!

ZedZed (08-17-2023)
Old 08-22-2023 | 08:29 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Looking forward to your install and review!
A bit of an update. I have ordered the unit directly from ZWNAV in China. My order status at the time of typing is 'preparing'. ZWNAV have not yet charged my credit card, so it seems they do this on despatch, which is good practice. I have had several questions, sent via the messaging facility on their website and all questions have been answered fully and very quickly. Customer service, then, seems, so far, to be excellent. I do not have a despatch date at this time, but ZWNAV say in their T&Cs that some units are made to order and therefore may be subject to some delay. So far, I have not pressed them for an update on the delivery schedule. All in all, I am happy with the experience to this point. I'll post again when I have something new to add.
Porsche_nuts (08-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1