Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2024, 07:09 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

On the subject of launchers, the one that looks almost exactly like the latest OEM Porsche launcher is Penguin. But I found so many different issues when trying it that I gave up on it. If the dev would do some more work on it, it would be the perfect launcher to use with a Porsche/Android HU. Maybe worth a look for those still on the lookout for a different launcher.

I'd be a lot happier with these launchers if we could use a navigation app of our choice instead of them always seem to be forced to Google Maps. If I could use Waze here, I'd perhaps persevere with this launcher.

The following 2 users liked this post by ZedZed:
cjrhoades (05-31-2024), q8linux (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 07:18 AM
cjrhoades
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

In the Chstek settings I noticed you can select either Cayenne or Macan for car model and it is defaulted to Cayenne. Does it matter which is selected? I have it installed in a 981 cayman.

Also, is there any way to lower the screen brightness further? Even at minimum, it was far too bright and distracting on my drive to work in the dark this morning.
Old 05-31-2024, 07:39 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

My HU is definitely getting GPS because both those volume apps displayed speed. But going back and trying the new volume apps with stock launcher is a good idea.

Getting back to settings, there's a setting that turns on the big center volume control and mine is off. Maybe that's the issue. I can't find it again too turn on. Where is it?

Also, where is the speed sensitive setting? I can't find anything twice in these menus! LOL

Oh. BTW, I was able to use Waze on the native navigation launcher button. But it logged me out of my phone version, so one would need to create a second user to avoid constantly being signed out.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 05-31-2024 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:01 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
My HU is definitely getting GPS because both those volume apps displayed speed. But going back and trying the new volume apps with stock launcher is a good idea.

Getting back to settings, there's a setting that turns on the big center volume control and mine is off. Maybe that's the issue. I can't find it again too turn on. Where is it?

Also, where is the speed sensitive setting? I can't find anything twice in these menus! LOL

Oh. BTW, I was able to use Waze on the native navigation launcher button. But it logged me out of my phone version, so one would need to create a second user to avoid constantly being signed out.
I don't use Agama so can't help there I'm afraid.

I didn't make myself clear about the default navigation app. Every launcher I have tried allows you to launch any nav app you like with no issues. I was referring to the 'internal' navigation that many launchers feature, which invariably seems to be limited to Google Maps. An example of what I mean is in the pic of the Penguin launcher above.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:06 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I would prefer Google maps but it doesn't work right in native form. The launcher even says there may be issues.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:11 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I would prefer Google maps but it doesn't work right in native form. The launcher even says there may be issues.
Is this the CHSTEK stock launcher? I haven't seen it, but I am told it is awful. The good news is there are numerous alternative launchers on the Play Store. Also, general-purpose launchers such as Nova are almost infinitely configurable and with some work can be made to look more or less any way you choose. I have used Nova as my phone launcher for years and keep meaning to create a design for use in the car. If I ever get around to it, I will share.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:18 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

No, I have an Erisin. I'm now using Agame and like the look. And since most driving is done using AA, it's not a huge deal.

Old 05-31-2024, 08:33 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Found it. Despite being turned on and the screen moving with my finger movement. The actual volume doesn't change

Old 05-31-2024, 08:35 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

No, I have an Erisin. I'm now using Agame and like the look. And since most driving is done using AA, it's not a huge deal.
Yes, I am the same - I use Android Auto almost exclusively in my Panamera, so I don't have any issues with launchers etc since AA loads automatically by the time I am ready to drive off. My wife uses her Erisin unit in 'native' form though, although she isn't having any problems currently. She is using CarWebGuru as her launcher, but I have set it to automatically load her navigation app when she turns the ignition on, and she can switch between navigation and DAB radio using one of the soft buttons below the screen. That sorts her out 99% of the time. She only goes back to the launcher if she wants to run a different app, such as YT Music.

My initial motivation for exploring all of this was not especially to replace the PCM (although it is very dated and not nice to use) - it was to have Android Auto in the car. I initially tried the Isudar solution, but was never entirely happy as I still had the low-res PCM screen and clunky operation. Then I discovered the Android HUs. My wife just wanted a better version of the PCM really, and she isn't a fan of AA or CarPlay. Good that there is a choice for everyone.

Old 05-31-2024, 08:43 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Found it. Despite being turned on and the screen moving with my finger movement. The actual volume doesn't change

That's odd. So you are saying that when you change the volume using the Agama on-screen volume control, it doesn't do anything? Does it only work with certain sources - eg an internal music player for example? I vaguely remember that from when I was experimenting with Agama and other launchers - the inbuilt volume control didn't work with some sources. I never found out if there was a setting somewhere that I could adjust because I am using AA mainly and have a physical volume control.

I did try speed-dependent volume with my CarWebGuru launcher, and it worked but I didn't like HOW it worked. The volume jumped suddenly as I went from one speed to the other (eg at 40 mph it jumped up, then at 50 it jumped up) or so it felt and while the volume did adjust with my speed, it was never quite right for me. If it had been a gradual raising of the volume the faster I went, I would have liked it. But it did work with all sources. It's not such an issue with the Panamera as it is inherently a quieter car than a 911 or Cayman, so there's less need to adjust the volume as the speed increases.

Old 05-31-2024, 11:48 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I'll try different sources, but I seem to recall the on screen volume control does nothing. I use the physical ****.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:22 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Gonna try something out.

I grabbed 2 1F-2M RCA splitters to try and get an actual source to the rear speakers. When playing with the balance, if i set it all the way to the rear, there is no sound. Wondering if this simple $7 solution could work even though it will be a repeated source. Tbh im slightly over the headunit hurting the sound, and miss the OEM PCM sound processing.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:45 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Gonna try something out.

I grabbed 2 1F-2M RCA splitters to try and get an actual source to the rear speakers. When playing with the balance, if i set it all the way to the rear, there is no sound. Wondering if this simple $7 solution could work even though it will be a repeated source. Tbh im slightly over the headunit hurting the sound, and miss the OEM PCM sound processing.
If you only have a two channel amp, you can only have stereo Left and Right outputs regardless of the number of speakers in the car. (Unless you have a separate subwoofer/amp for bass frequencies, of course, in a .1 setup). The two channels can have sound directed to any Left and Right speakers by use of a 'fader' (which is basically just a cleverer volume control) which can direct sound to FL, FR, RL and RR, but it will always be a stereo (2 channel) signal. To get some form of surround sound, you will need a multi-channel amp and some kind of digital sound processor (to give, for example, Dolby Surround). But this will require that you also have a multi-channel source. There are currently no streaming services offering multi-channel sound and no FM or digital radio stations either. However, Netflix and Amazon Prime do offer Dolby Digital 5.1 for multi-channel processors and speaker setups, but these aren't much use in a car for obvious safety reasons.

So anyone wanting to do more than just copy the front speaker sound to the rear speakers will need a different, multi-channel amp, a digital sound processor capable of Dolby 5.1 or similar and a source which offers multi-channel sound. Given that a car is just about the absolute worst audio environment imaginable, is it all worth it? In a large-ish 4-seater car with seats in the back, it might be worth being able to send some of the stereo sound to the back to keep rear seat passengers happy. In a small-ish 2-seater car, is it worth the trouble?

I have found that by manipulating the various sound settings in the HU I can get sound in the rear of the Panamera by judicious use of the front-rear fader. If this fader is moved all the way to the rear, the sound disappears altogether. But by moving the fader partway to the rear, I get sound from the rear, with somewhat diminished sound from the front. To counterbalance this, I raised the 'master level' in the HU to make the entire system go louder. I can now use the main volume control in the normal way and have sound in the front and rear. It's still only 2 channel sound, but in a moving car, that is more than good enough IMO.

Old 05-31-2024, 02:01 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
If you only have a two channel amp, you can only have stereo Left and Right outputs regardless of the number of speakers in the car. (Unless you have a separate subwoofer/amp for bass frequencies, of course, in a .1 setup). The two channels can have sound directed to any Left and Right speakers by use of a 'fader' (which is basically just a cleverer volume control) which can direct sound to FL, FR, RL and RR, but it will always be a stereo (2 channel) signal. To get some form of surround sound, you will need a multi-channel amp and some kind of digital sound processor (to give, for example, Dolby Surround). But this will require that you also have a multi-channel source. There are currently no streaming services offering multi-channel sound and no FM or digital radio stations either. However, Netflix and Amazon Prime do offer Dolby Digital 5.1 for multi-channel processors and speaker setups, but these aren't much use in a car for obvious safety reasons.

So anyone wanting to do more than just copy the front speaker sound to the rear speakers will need a different, multi-channel amp, a digital sound processor capable of Dolby 5.1 or similar and a source which offers multi-channel sound. Given that a car is just about the absolute worst audio environment imaginable, is it all worth it? In a large-ish 4-seater car with seats in the back, it might be worth being able to send some of the stereo sound to the back to keep rear seat passengers happy. In a small-ish 2-seater car, is it worth the trouble?

I have found that by manipulating the various sound settings in the HU I can get sound in the rear of the Panamera by judicious use of the front-rear fader. If this fader is moved all the way to the rear, the sound disappears altogether. But by moving the fader partway to the rear, I get sound from the rear, with somewhat diminished sound from the front. To counterbalance this, I raised the 'master level' in the HU to make the entire system go louder. I can now use the main volume control in the normal way and have sound in the front and rear. It's still only 2 channel sound, but in a moving car, that is more than good enough IMO.

I have been using one of these for years, just get the bluetooth module so you can use your phone to make all the adjustments.

Works great!

-Joe

https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/...-and-car-audio

Last edited by Joec500; 05-31-2024 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:06 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Worth noting for anyone reading the thread that the rear sound issue only applies to BOSE/MOST cars

Those of us with the ASK system can enjoy sound from all 4 speakers... but we have to put up with a slight hiss due to the over amplification. Unless you want to start cutting wires to drive the speakers from the RCAs. But then on the Chstek (unlike the Erisin) there are only 2x RCAs for the front speakers, so you'd lose the hiss.. and you'd also lose your rear speakers! So just like the Bose really, just without Bose!
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (05-31-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1