Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 04:46 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Click to sport everytine I get into it ...

What's start stop????
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (11-25-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 05:25 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I think I have to disable mine each time I start the car, IF I leave it Normal mode, but only do that most time until it's up to a safe Operating temp to turn to Sport or Sport + in manual and tach it up a bit more in each gear.
I think all 991.2(s) reverts back to auto/stop on when you shut down. I have a 2019, so mine will revert back at shut down even if I have been in Sport or Sport+ continuously since start up.

I have read many times from forum members that they don't go into either Sport or Sport+ driving modes until warmed up. I'm always in manual mode when I start driving. Yes, I understand that if I'm in auto mode in Sport or Sport+, the shift points are at a high rpm. I can shift at low rpm shift points until warm up in manual mode. Is there anything harmful using this technique?
Big Swole (11-25-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 05:28 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Click to sport everytine I get into it ...

What's start stop????
Old 11-25-2023, 05:31 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
I think all 991.2(s) reverts back to auto/stop on when you shut down. I have a 2019, so mine will revert back at shut down even if I have been in Sport or Sport+ continuously since start up.

I have read many times from forum members that they don't go into either Sport or Sport+ driving modes until warmed up. I'm always in manual mode when I start driving. Yes, I understand that if I'm in auto mode in Sport or Sport+, the shift points are at a high rpm. I can shift at low rpm shift points until warm up in manual mode. Is there anything harmful using this technique?

Nah, I'm sure you're fine doing that...I've done that too as well...

My reasoning (no clue if valid), isn't just about the engine Op. temps but the tranny fluid temps and such. I figure leaving in auto mode in normal, with shift points being so quick / low rpm, that it gives the tranny time to heat up as well before increasing line pressures with Sport / Sport + modes.

Old 11-25-2023, 05:38 PM
Foosh
Pro

Received 368 Likes on 252 Posts

I think I have to disable mine each time I start the car, IF I leave it Normal mode, but only do that most time until it's up to a safe Operating temp to turn to Sport or Sport + in manual and tach it up a bit more in each gear.

Now knowing the Auto Start / Stop is a good battery life check, I'll make sure I do that in the future every once in a while....Or use my Icarsoft CR Pro to check the battery life like I did the other day.

ALSO, y'all check your battery terminal post tightness... No clue why / how mine became loose, but assume just 3+ years / 14K miles of vibration while driving. That was my issue the other night, along with having a 7-8 year old battery.
As I mentioned above, I suspected the Start/Stop default setting might be wired differently in other MYs and gens. In my '14 991.1 TS, default is whatever you left it on shutdown. Thus, if I disable Start/Stop in Normal mode, it's disabled the next time I start the car, and until I enable it again.

I see your car is a 991.2. I seem to recall in my previous '19 Cayman 718, it might have defaulted to always on in Normal mode the next time I started the car, but I'm not entirely sure. I was surprised to see that it's always off in the TS.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-25-2023 at 05:40 PM.
Big Swole (11-25-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 05:50 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Nah, I'm sure you're fine doing that...I've done that too as well...

My reasoning (no clue if valid), isn't just about the engine Op. temps but the tranny fluid temps and such. I figure leaving in auto mode in normal, with shift points being so quick / low rpm, that it gives the tranny time to heat up as well before increasing line pressures with Sport / Sport + modes.
Yes, I agree with you that the transmission should be warmed up also. With me shifting manually (in Sport or Sport+) at low rpms until all is warmed up, I think would suffice.
Big Swole (11-25-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 06:06 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 232 Posts

I installed the T-design memory module which saves all the settings when the car is shut down. I got tired of having to reset everything on every drive and the T-design works perfectly, every time. It just continues where you left off.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Big Swole (11-25-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 06:41 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D II
I installed the T-design memory module which saves all the settings when the car is shut down. I got tired of having to reset everything on every drive and the T-design works perfectly, every time. It just continues where you left off.
Saves all memory settings on a 991.2 at the last shut down, i.e., start/stop, driving mode, radio, heat/air/fan speed, seat position, etc?

Last edited by RadarP3C; 11-25-2023 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 06:50 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
As I mentioned above, I suspected the Start/Stop default setting might be wired differently in other MYs and gens. In my '14 991.1 TS, default is whatever you left it on shutdown. Thus, if I disable Start/Stop in Normal mode, it's disabled the next time I start the car, and until I enable it again.

I see your car is a 991.2. I seem to recall in my previous '19 Cayman 718, it might have defaulted to always on in Normal mode the next time I started the car, but I'm not entirely sure. I was surprised to see that it's always off in the TS.
The 991.2 start/stop defaults to on (light is off) on startup same as my BMW M550, which I also coded the same as my turbo.

I coded the software so that it will remember the last known start/stop setting off (light is on). Like some here, I mostly drive in sport mode only after reaching operating temperatures. 50% of the time, I would forget to disable it, so that’s why I coded it. No fuss, no cost and maybe 10 minutes total to code after firing up the laptop and connecting the Piwis hardware and cables.

I think overall the start/stop can be dangerous on any car. I had one friend t-boned at an intersection, when his car wouldn’t re-start and the signal light changed. I had another friend whose car wouldn’t restart at a stop sign, and she had to be towed to the dealer. Also, if you actually use start/stop you will have premature starter and battery failures. On my BMW the auto start has its own separate battery.
Old 11-25-2023, 06:59 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Saves all memory settings on a 991.2 at the last shut down, i.e., start/stop, driving mode, radio, heat/air/fan speed, seat position, etc?
Not all that, mainly the drive settings. I think the key memory will save seat position and heat settings, so between the two, most everything is remembered.

This is from their web page:

Design highlights:

- Console version remembers the last setting for buttons
[ Auto/Start/Stop ] [ PSE ] [ Sport ] [ Sport+ ] [AutoBlip]

- **** version remembers the last setting for the IOSS+ ****

- Installs in under 10 minutes

- Can be uninstalled as easily

- Designed and made in USA

So with the T-design module installed in my car, the car now remembers seat position and heat/fan settings from the key setting memory, then PDCC setting, auto start/stop setting and drive mode setting, such as sport+, etc from the T-design. I am not sure about the radio, I have that little Garlinkit android auto module where the phone goes right to the screen on the car like apple carplay when I start the car.

Last edited by John D II; 11-25-2023 at 07:11 PM.
RadarP3C (11-25-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 07:05 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,053 Posts

.1s (and 981) default to last setting for ***.

.2s (and 718) default to *** on at every start unless you code it.

Thank CARB for .2/718 behavior.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:13 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D II
Not all that, mainly the drive settings. I think the key memory will save seat position and heat settings, so between the two, most everything is remembered.

This is from their web page:

Design highlights:

- Console version remembers the last setting for buttons
[ Auto/Start/Stop ] [ PSE ] [ Sport ] [ Sport+ ] [AutoBlip]

- **** version remembers the last setting for the IOSS+ ****

- Installs in under 10 minutes

- Can be uninstalled as easily

- Designed and made in USA

So with the T-design module installed in my car, the car now remembers seat position and heat/fan settings from the key setting memory, then PDCC setting, auto start/stop setting and drive mode setting, such as sport+, etc from the T-design. I am not sure about the radio, I have that little Garlinkit android auto module where the phone goes right to the screen on the car like apple carplay when I start the car.
Very cool. Thanks! Looks like this will be on my Christmas list.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:31 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

However, my auto Start / Stop isn't working and shows the big A with a line crossed through it on my screen, so that tells me it's weak and the computer knows it and has disabled the auto start / stop.
One of the (few?) clear advantages of a 991.1 Turbo over the 991.2!

On .1 generation cars, start/stop off is "remembered" between shutdown cycles... Press the button once and never have to press it again, unless for some reason you want to turn start/stop on. Without aftermarket modules.
The following 2 users liked this post by pfbz:
Big Swole (11-26-2023), Foosh (11-26-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 10:35 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

I had one here before my 991.2 Turbo S came off the boat. Quick install on day one and have never used that nonsense which is technically a battery killer and a starter killer. Our X5MC stays in whichever mode you leave it in as it should from the factory. Off stays off. Ironically, our 2024 HEMI Jeep does not have it at all. YES !!!!!
RadarP3C (11-25-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 12:41 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There are two versions of this, if you have a 991.2 then you want the IOSS version, it mounts behind the airbag. Here is a link to the install, it's very simple - plug and play. You will love it, it's a great tweak to the turbo.

https://t-design9.com/memory_module_knob_install.html
RadarP3C (11-26-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?