Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 12:58 AM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
There are two versions of this, if you have a 991.2 then you want the IOSS version, it mounts behind the airbag. Here is a link to the install, it's very simple - plug and play. You will love it, it's a great tweak to the turbo.

https://t-design9.com/memory_module_knob_install.html
It looks simple enough. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2023, 12:04 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

One thing I forgot to mention as to Why I use regular mode / auto when I crank and drive it cold and NOT use Sport mode right off.

On my 991.2, "SPORT" mode has the POPS / CRACKLES and with my Tubi style catless exhaust, they are obnoxiously LOUD! Not a fan of using Sport Mode in my car much ever due to these pops / cracks.
Only use it when I access my inner 12 year old and WANT to be obnoxious !!! lol

I either warm up the OP Temp in Reg. mode auto and then for the rest of the day I'm either in Reg. Mode Manually shifting or Individual Mode (sport + without aero deployed) swinging manually.

Oh, and I 90% of time use my shift to bump shift vs. paddles and is one of the reasons I love the 991's vs the 992's.

I don't really mind turning off the A.S.S. button each time I get it. I'm mean how lazy am I that I would have to bitch a out that...lol.

Last edited by Big Swole; 11-26-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:52 PM
Foosh
Pro

Received 368 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
One of the (few?) clear advantages of a 991.1 Turbo over the 991.2!

On .1 generation cars, start/stop off is "remembered" between shutdown cycles... Press the button once and never have to press it again, unless for some reason you want to turn start/stop on. Without aftermarket modules.
I'm only speculating here, but the CAFE regulations pertaining to Start/Stop systems may be have tweaked since the 991.1 production era. In order for Start/Stop to make a fuel efficiency difference, it obviously needs to be operating frequently. I seem to recall reading somewhere that more recent cars using Start/Stop must default to enabled on every start cycle.

Manufacturers are not required to use Start/Stop. They only use it when they determine it's necessary to meet their CAFE numbers and avoid large civil penalties levied by the US gov. When a particular model doesn't have it, that's because a manufacturer can meet their numbers without it on that particular model. The regs simply dictate that you have to meet the target number for your fleet. They don't care how you do it.

My 991.1 TS is the only Start/Stop vehicle I've ever experienced that stays either on or off permanently in whatever setting the car is left in. Obviously, Porsche has to comply with whatever US regulations require.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-26-2023 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 03:07 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

My 991.1 TS is the only Start/Stop vehicle I've ever experienced that stays either on or off permanently in whatever setting the car is left in. Obviously, Porsche has to comply with whatever US regulations require.

Both my BMW M550 and 991.2 work like yours now, since I coded both cars to stay off permanently, unless I push the button to enable. The *** system is useless.
Old 11-26-2023, 03:40 PM
Foosh
Pro

Originally Posted by mffarrell

Both my BMW M550 and 991.2 work like yours now, since I coded both cars to stay off permanently, unless I push the button to enable. The *** system is useless.
You are mistaken.

You may perceive things like Start/Stop systems to be useless, but it has been and remains very useful both to you and to the manufacturer. Under current US gov CAFE requirements (w/ comparable regs in the EU), it is the only way most manufacturers can keep offering powerful internal combustion engine sports cars. The only alternative is to go with smaller displacement and much less powerful engines, or to only build a handful of powerful ones to average in with mega numbers of 2L econoboxes to achieve the CAFE fleet requirement.

However, those days are numbered because CAFE requirements keep getting tougher and will soon get the point where a 640HP Turbo S, all internal combustion engine car will not be possible to offer.

The fact that the aftermarket has come up with modifications to alter the system is no longer Porsche's problem. All they have to do is be in compliance when the vehicle rolls off the assembly line.

It's tougher for Porsche than most, since their specialty is high performance vehicles. Their only alternative is what they are doing, which is moving heavily into electrification, and the 911 is next up.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-26-2023 at 03:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Andrewpiper (11-30-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 05:06 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
On my 991.2, "SPORT" mode has the POPS / CRACKLES and with my Tubi style catless exhaust, they are obnoxiously LOUD! Not a fan of using Sport Mode in my car much ever due to these pops / cracks.
I have a Soul catless on my 991 Turbo, I love the on-throttle tone of the setup but also hated the obnoxiously loud bangs it originally made on throttle lift. It is even more of an issue on the 991.1 TT as this generation adds decel burble both in Sport and Sport_Plus, where the .2 only adds it in Sport.

Sam @SamboTT@ByDesign modified my tune and now it's perfect sound wise.... Nice and throaty on full throttle, slight but not at all obnoxious decel burble, and no loud pops or bangs. If you are using Sam for your tuning, just ask for the "No Bang" tune mod he created for me. I'm sure most other tuners can do the same. No reason to completely avoid Sport mode for that issue if you are running a tune...
90% of time use my shift to bump shift vs. paddles and is one of the reasons I love the 991's vs the 992's.
You mean the forward-down shift pattern on the .2 vs. the default forward-up pattern on the .1? True enough, but also an easy fix with the Cobb PDK tune, which I also like for other reasons.

Oddly, with the GT4RS, I primarily used the console shift, but with the 991 Turbo, it's usually the paddles... Perhaps because the TT just runs through the gear so much faster.

Last edited by pfbz; 11-26-2023 at 05:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pfbz:
Big Swole (11-26-2023), RadarP3C (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 09:09 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
I have a Soul catless on my 991 Turbo, I love the on-throttle tone of the setup but also hated the obnoxiously loud bangs it originally made on throttle lift. It is even more of an issue on the 991.1 TT as this generation adds decel burble both in Sport and Sport_Plus, where the .2 only adds it in Sport.

Sam @SamboTT@ByDesign modified my tune and now it's perfect sound wise.... Nice and throaty on full throttle, slight but not at all obnoxious decel burble, and no loud pops or bangs. If you are using Sam for your tuning, just ask for the "No Bang" tune mod he created for me. I'm sure most other tuners can do the same. No reason to completely avoid Sport mode for that issue if you are running a tune...

You mean the forward-down shift pattern on the .2 vs. the default forward-up pattern on the .1? True enough, but also an easy fix with the Cobb PDK tune, which I also like for other reasons.

Oddly, with the GT4RS, I primarily used the console shift, but with the 991 Turbo, it's usually the paddles... Perhaps because the TT just runs through the gear so much faster.

I still have the basic Stage 2 GIAC tune with the 100 octane switchable option... It bangs and pops LOUD in Sport mode. Nothing in Sport +.
As much as I'd like a custom tune by Sam, I've just tried to resist doing more and spending my money on gas for drives instead. I LOVE power and can't get enough, but been down that road so many times in my lift.
Trying hard to just enjoy what I've got vs. always wanting more.

The .2 has the correct "Push" to down shift and "Pull" to up shift. I just mean I enjoy using the shifter vs. the paddles. I feel more engaged with the car that way.
In the tight twisties, it just so much fun to have to reach and push / pull.
The following 4 users liked this post by Big Swole:
Foosh (11-26-2023), Pb Pedis (11-27-2023), RadarP3C (11-26-2023), uncle_sam (12-15-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 08:42 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Put a brand new battery in my Turbo S today. Registered it with the car with my iCarsoft CR Pro. Worked perfectly!!

For those that don't know. When a battery is getting weak, the "auto start / stop" will be disabled with an "A" with a line drawn through it on the dash.

Once I changed the battery, the car cranked and ran fine but the Auto Start / Stop was still disabled.

Once I registered the battery to the car, and the % was set back to 100 for aging, the Auto Start / Stop started working perfectly..

For the record, I DON'T use the auto stop/start but I DO use "normal" mode to warm the car up before moving to Sport / Sport + since it allows the car to heat up quicker and to a high temperature than Sport / Sport+ does. Sometimes I'll forget to turn OFF the auto start / stop and found out about the low battery disabling feature by accident. Good to know for anyone wanting to know if their battery is getting weak.

The following 2 users liked this post by Big Swole:
21forever (12-18-2023), Foosh (12-15-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 08:47 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

You did more than me, I just looked at it....
Big Swole (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 09:05 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
You did more than me, I just looked at it....
That's never a bad thing! lol

They look so good.
Old 12-14-2023, 11:37 PM
Foosh
Pro

Put a brand new battery in my Turbo S today. Registered it with the car with my iCarsoft CR Pro. Worked perfectly!!

For those that don't know. When a battery is getting weak, the "auto start / stop" will be disabled with an "A" with a line drawn through it on the dash.

Once I changed the battery, the car cranked and ran fine but the Auto Start / Stop was still disabled.

Once I registered the battery to the car, and the % was set back to 100 for aging, the Auto Start / Stop started working perfectly..

For the record, I DON'T use the auto stop/start but I DO use "normal" mode to warm the car up before moving to Sport / Sport + since it allows the car to heat up quicker and to a high temperature than Sport / Sport+ does. Sometimes I'll forget to turn OFF the auto start / stop and found out about the low battery disabling feature by accident. Good to know for anyone wanting to know if their battery is getting weak.
Good post and good lesson! As much as folks express disdain for auto start/stop systems, I suspect very few know that it is a very good built-in battery tester.

I learned this about 8 years ago from my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/ an auto-start stop system. We left it on because it was just a commuter and grocery-getter for the most part. One day I noticed the engine was no longer shutting down when at stoplights, and a couple of weeks later, the car exhibited the dreaded starter solenoid, click, click, click.

Since learning this lesson, like checking my oil regularly, I'll turn on auto start/stop to test the batteries in all our vehicles w/ auto start/stop, and have continued to do this in my TTS. I've caught a couple of dying batteries early since learning this. It's good for more than just helping manufacturers meet their CAFE requirements.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-14-2023 at 11:40 PM.
Big Swole (12-14-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 09:54 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 539 Posts

Thanks for sharing the details on the battery, the scanner and the indicator…..it is important to register the new battery although others have stated it is not necessary but I believe the new battery drains faster without registration…

great job!!
Big Swole (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 10:07 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Thank you Sir.

I posted the video I put together on my thread. Just showing the basics and the scanner stuff...
Old 12-15-2023, 11:02 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

That's never a bad thing! lol

They look so good.
No, just been spending more time with the STi lately trying to figure out if it is in fact eating oil.... plus, I love driving the manual.
Big Swole (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 05:20 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
No, just been spending more time with the STi lately trying to figure out if it is in fact eating oil.... plus, I love driving the manual.

I agree.. I find myself gravitating to my 2SS1LE since it's a manual as well... Also the S2k. I just love shifting as well.

Then, every time I get in the TTS, I fall in love with it again as well..

Nice to have choices for sure.
RadarP3C (12-15-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?