Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 05:08 PM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 161 Posts

^ 5 threads and counting with the same message - I'll go with Wow!
Old 04-18-2021, 05:12 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Beezupra
^ 5 threads and counting with the same message - I'll go with Wow!

I did a search...Some are similar problems and some are a bit different.
I'm trying to find the problem WITHOUT costing me thousands of dollars.

Should I not being exhausting ALL resources and the knowledge of those thread starters or just go let the dealer Stick it in dry??

If you have an idea that will help me, I'll gladly go delete my other post. Until I get this fixed without costing me a fortune, I'll be looking for answers from any / all!!

Maybe you don't understand how this crap bothers me. I'll actually lose sleep over weird crap like this. It's just how I am. I'll try not to take offense to your post about me trying to find a fix for this, but just being honest, it kinda struck me the wrong way. Forums are for help. I'm asking for help here.

Last edited by Big Swole; 04-18-2021 at 05:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mercuriell (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 06:05 PM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 161 Posts

Big, please take no offense, I sure know what it feels like to have a frustrating problem, and I sincerely apologize that I don't have help to offer here. Of course the forums are for help. I guess I'm encouraging confidence that the people that know something about the topic, will spot one of the related thread topics you have refreshed to draw their attention. My post was written from a friendly and understanding space, while also thinking about what a jumble our threads would be, if this were the standard approach we all took each time we had a problem to ask about. Hoping your help is on the way, Brian
Big Swole (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 06:06 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Could it be loss of pressure once the spoiler is deployed and then subject to high speed it could depressurise tripping a shut-down mode. I agree it’s a software endpoint but I suspect there’s a mechanical trigger. Worth getting front end jacked up and check spoiler and connections for a leak - soapy water and bubble test ? Good luck 🤞
Old 04-18-2021, 07:14 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I did a search...Some are similar problems and some are a bit different.
I'm trying to find the problem WITHOUT costing me thousands of dollars.

Should I not being exhausting ALL resources and the knowledge of those thread starters or just go let the dealer Stick it in dry??

If you have an idea that will help me, I'll gladly go delete my other post. Until I get this fixed without costing me a fortune, I'll be looking for answers from any / all!!

Maybe you don't understand how this crap bothers me. I'll actually lose sleep over weird crap like this. It's just how I am. I'll try not to take offense to your post about me trying to find a fix for this, but just being honest, it kinda struck me the wrong way. Forums are for help. I'm asking for help here.
Sitting in the garage, and deploying the spoilers, really isn't much of a test, considering there isn't any aerodynamic load on them. Could be the rear spoiler motor is drawing to much current under load. Could try putting some resistance on it while deploying it. Front is just air, so unless the compressor is going bad, I doubt that'd be a problem, unless the air hoses are being kinked by the bumper under speed. Easy to pull the fasteners on the bottom of the bumper, and pull it forward so you can see the lines.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:59 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Beezupra
Big, please take no offense, I sure know what it feels like to have a frustrating problem, and I sincerely apologize that I don't have help to offer here. Of course the forums are for help. I guess I'm encouraging confidence that the people that know something about the topic, will spot one of the related thread topics you have refreshed to draw their attention. My post was written from a friendly and understanding space, while also thinking about what a jumble our threads would be, if this were the standard approach we all took each time we had a problem to ask about. Hoping your help is on the way, Brian

I appreciate it man and I must apologize for being "sensitive" to your post. I was fresh off of pulling the positive from the battery multiple times to reset and test and nothing was working.
Needless to say I was (still am) frustrated by this issue. I know me posting in every thread I found seems excessive, and it really was. I was just hoping to find anybody that might have a clue.

Again, I shouldn't have gotten snippy. I probably would have said the same thing to me. lol

Anyway, I'm hoping that since they work just fine manually once the code is cleared, but not with the S+ dial or at speed, that it's something simply like a sensor or something. Or a dirty connection.

Last edited by Big Swole; 04-19-2021 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:07 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
Could it be loss of pressure once the spoiler is deployed and then subject to high speed it could depressurise tripping a shut-down mode. I agree it’s a software endpoint but I suspect there’s a mechanical trigger. Worth getting front end jacked up and check spoiler and connections for a leak - soapy water and bubble test ? Good luck 🤞
Did you see my vid? I had the front end up on drive up ramps. Deployed them several times using the button and they were working perfectly. Bladders Full and everything moved freely.

Under speed (75mph) and / or sitting still and using the dial to turn it "sport plus" it wasn't working, or even trying to start. So it has something to do with whatever triggers them at speed or using the sport plus dial.
I'm hoping it's just a hard code that need deleting with PIWIS or something.

Originally Posted by ottodawg
Sitting in the garage, and deploying the spoilers, really isn't much of a test, considering there isn't any aerodynamic load on them. Could be the rear spoiler motor is drawing to much current under load. Could try putting some resistance on it while deploying it. Front is just air, so unless the compressor is going bad, I doubt that'd be a problem, unless the air hoses are being kinked by the bumper under speed. Easy to pull the fasteners on the bottom of the bumper, and pull it forward so you can see the lines.
Like said above, they were deploying perfectly using the button after code clear buy pulling the (+) side from battery for a few mins. to reset.
Once I drove it over 75 or tried to use the dial to put in "sport plus" it wouldn't even begin to deploy.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:29 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Sounds like something isn't switching properly, or something is jamming in it.

Have you looked for debris in the lower spoiler?
Old 04-19-2021, 12:32 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Sounds like something isn't switching properly, or something is jamming in it.

Have you looked for debris in the lower spoiler?

I inspected the front and rear while deployed manually and didn't see anything obvious.

It was working just fine the last time I drove it. Been sitting a week or two. Drove / Acted just fine up until I reached hwy. speeds while already having them deployed using Sport Plus.

So, it must be something with the sport plus setting, now that it won't deploy them at all in that mode.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:54 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If I am not mistaken, doesn't the sport + setting deploy things further and at more aggressive angles?

Could be a micro switch somewhere not lining up... and, I hate to say it, but if there is nothing obvious in the way debris around moving parts, sounds like a trip to the 'ole dealer is in your future...
Big Swole (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:57 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the suggestions and help. I'll have to just see if the dealer can diagnose. I just can't get it there for a while.

Drives fine otherwise, so no rush I guess.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:37 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Okay folks!! I need suggestions here before having to take It in. There HAS to be a hard code set or a connection that's just dirty or something I can check. Maybe a bad sensor for the 75 mph speed deployment that can be replaced.

I was driving in Sport Plus yesterday in town just before hitting the hwy. Spoilers deployed
Hit the hwy. got up to speed and must have hit 75 mph and got the Spoiler Failure displayed.
Spoilers deactivated with the button but would Never deploy again after that manually.
I pulled the positive cable on the battery today and I was immediately able to manually deploy them WITHOUT any error or malfunction.
Drove it again and just as soon as I hit the 75 mph sensor deployment, I get the code again. I did this reset and check TWICE!!!

Some people have been charged Stupid amounts of money by dealers to replace all the components to fix their similar issue but there's NO WAY mine can be anything other than an electronic / programming / code issue.
PLEASE watch my vid and let me know your thoughts and / or suggested fixes. Maybe there's a plug I need to disconnect / reconnect and / or clean that just malfunctioning. Where would these be????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkNcbgUAmCI
Production quality video,,, nice.

I WANNA DRIVE YOUR COP CAR!
Big Swole (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 10:19 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Dawns early light...

Put them together for a photo op...

Big Swole (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 10:53 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Nice !
Old 04-19-2021, 02:44 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Save the whales!!!

Put the summers on, lined them up for another photo op...

God, I'm in love!

Big Swole (04-19-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?