Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 08:39 AM
the head
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

I finally took the time to put in the Europipe stage 1, CSF intercoolers, and D088 inlet hoses yesterday. I just have the tips to put onto the exhaust to finish that up. I do have an Accessport and will be flashing it once I know there aren't any issues. So far, so good with no CELs. I have a few notes:
Since I was doing the intercoolers I removed them before tackling the exhaust and that made accessing everything much easier. Stef sent me the instructions and the illustrations were great. I also removed the rear wheels and that made removing the liners easier as well. That was also a must do step for the hoses.
So the hoses weren't that bad getting onto the car. Getting some of the old hoses off proved to be a real chore (turbo outlets).
They are definitely thick and larger in diameter. Coupled with the intercoolers I had a minor issue getting the rear bodywork back on.
For the intercoolers I used an air powered cutting wheel to trim the lips off of the stock ducts and then a hand file to smooth it out. I strongly suggest using the recommended 3M tape they call out. The intercooler will slide between them without it.
So as it all went back together, getting the intercooler pods back onto the car was challenging. I did look at the hoses and really only had to tweak the diverter valve hoses to get it all to fit. Just know it takes some persuading to get them back on with the bigger inlet hoses. I don't feel it was necessarily the intercoolers here as the brackets all went together nicely. But I also couldn't tell you what dimensions got reduced with the thicker cores in place. Getting the bumper cover to line up at the wheel wells took some effort as well but I did manager to get things lined up but it did require using force as the first couple of bolts went on.
I spent a total of 12 hours doing it, which included stopping for lunch with my daughter and about a 30 minute wait for rain to pass.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:16 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by the head
I finally took the time to put in the Europipe stage 1, CSF intercoolers, and D088 inlet hoses yesterday. I just have the tips to put onto the exhaust to finish that up. I do have an Accessport and will be flashing it once I know there aren't any issues. So far, so good with no CELs. I have a few notes:
Since I was doing the intercoolers I removed them before tackling the exhaust and that made accessing everything much easier. Stef sent me the instructions and the illustrations were great. I also removed the rear wheels and that made removing the liners easier as well. That was also a must do step for the hoses.
So the hoses weren't that bad getting onto the car. Getting some of the old hoses off proved to be a real chore (turbo outlets).
They are definitely thick and larger in diameter. Coupled with the intercoolers I had a minor issue getting the rear bodywork back on.
For the intercoolers I used an air powered cutting wheel to trim the lips off of the stock ducts and then a hand file to smooth it out. I strongly suggest using the recommended 3M tape they call out. The intercooler will slide between them without it.
So as it all went back together, getting the intercooler pods back onto the car was challenging. I did look at the hoses and really only had to tweak the diverter valve hoses to get it all to fit. Just know it takes some persuading to get them back on with the bigger inlet hoses. I don't feel it was necessarily the intercoolers here as the brackets all went together nicely. But I also couldn't tell you what dimensions got reduced with the thicker cores in place. Getting the bumper cover to line up at the wheel wells took some effort as well but I did manager to get things lined up but it did require using force as the first couple of bolts went on.
I spent a total of 12 hours doing it, which included stopping for lunch with my daughter and about a 30 minute wait for rain to pass.
Hands on for a quality installation ! Well Done !
Old 04-10-2021, 06:38 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Originally Posted by the head
That's great - I, personally, get worried at words like 'trimming', which I would be afraid would rapidly turn into, 'destroyed'...
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 06:42 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
That's great - I, personally, get worried at words like 'trimming', which I would be afraid would rapidly turn into, 'destroyed'...
You have to trim the factory hangers to fit the CSF intercoolers. No biggie.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:06 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Recently, the passenger side window regulator went in my old Burban. I figured it was old, how much damage could I really do getting the window to close before I could get it in the shop?

So I watched a video on youtube, and thought, yep, this seems pretty straight forward, I can do this... I ended up tearing the panel from the door and wrecking all the little L-clips, resulting in the panel needing extensive glue and time to put it back together. I simply do not have the finesse required to work with fiddly, fragile parts.

I know my limitations...
Old 04-11-2021, 01:36 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Recently, the passenger side window regulator went in my old Burban. I figured it was old, how much damage could I really do getting the window to close before I could get it in the shop?

So I watched a video on youtube, and thought, yep, this seems pretty straight forward, I can do this... I ended up tearing the panel from the door and wrecking all the little L-clips, resulting in the panel needing extensive glue and time to put it back together. I simply do not have the finesse required to work with fiddly, fragile parts.

I know my limitations...
Sounds like the first time I put a transmission shift kit in a turbo 350 that was in a 1978 Trans Am. Pulled the pan, ok, pulled the valve body out and a spring and some tiny steelies fell onto the floor....oh boy ...where does this stuff go......
Old 04-11-2021, 08:15 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That would have driven me nuts.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:34 PM
tallers
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Powder Coated My Wheels

I just finished having my 2015 911 Turbo wheels powder coated. Here are the before and after photos.

Original Turbo Wheels

Original wheels powder coated mirror black
The following 4 users liked this post by tallers:
Big Swole (04-13-2021), DANACO (04-13-2021), pfbz (04-13-2021), rodsky (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 02:15 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wow, that looks very good!
Old 04-13-2021, 03:14 PM
Keching
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tallers
I just finished having my 2015 911 Turbo wheels powder coated. Here are the before and after photos.

Original Turbo Wheels

Original wheels powder coated mirror black
wow that looks really good! I have my jet black tt incoming and was on the fence on this. How much did the powder coat set you back?

is the car lowered or stock height?
Old 04-14-2021, 09:54 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would say that looks like stock ride height to me.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:03 PM
tallers
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I would say that looks like stock ride height to me.
Correct. Mostly stock except Kline 200 cel cats & exhaust plus Zunsport mesh grilles up front.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:23 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The wheels came out very nicely; I bet they go with the sound well...
Old 04-14-2021, 09:23 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Wheels look very good in black.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:09 AM
21forever
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?