Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 11:41 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
For those going with the silver trim, what colours are you choosing?

I had been secretly planning to go Brewster Green with mine - contrast with silver trim would have been fantastic - but if PTS is not a thing for this car, I am kind of struggling to find a colour that I like that goes with the silver trim.

Candidates that make sense to me are:
- Black / JBM
- Sapphire Blue
- Agate
- Carmine

The thing is, I dont really want any of those colours. Sapphire looks like a cheap colour to me, I have Agate on my GT4 and in sunlight its just not as appealing as in diffuse light, and Carmine has short term appeal but I would get tired of looking at it in the medium to long term. Potentially black, I actually find black a bit of a dull colour, but maybe the silver highlights lift it up enough.

Its a shame, as I think the silver trim on a deep blue or green would be a really refined look - perfect for the wolf in sheeps clothing that this car is.

The other alternative I'm considering is GT silver with the black trim and black wheels, but thats a completely different look and whilst it would be really sharp, is somewhat different from the look I was thinking of.
This is why I remain very grateful that I got a GT4 allocation while Dark Blue Metallic was still an option. It may not be a very "GT" color, but since I DD mine, I felt the GT4 was loud enough as it is without needing an attention-grabbing color, and I've just never been able to order cool cars with "normal car" colors like black, white, silver, and gray.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:43 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Gee, thanks for the spelling corrections.
As for question 2.) yes, it's a question.
I suppose a less annoying rephrasing of your answer would have went like, the design effort and cost to provide both wing types which are swappable (without gaping holes), would be too high.. or something along those lines.

Anyway, The Touring Package as well as the resurrected manual option is a sign that Porsche listens and cares about its customer's wants.

Cool

Originally Posted by jphughan
1. Would be track-dependent. The Touring could theoretically be faster on tracks that had long straightaways since it likely has less drag and therefore possibly a higher top speed (at least with the same transmission). On tracks with lots of high-speed corners, the "regular" GT3 would do better. On tracks that had lots of tight corners and shorter straights where neither downforce nor drag are major factors with road cars, probably no real difference. (Also, "lose", not "loose". )

2. Is this a serious question? If you detached a GT3's wing, you'd have holes in your deck lid, and Porsche probably figured that selling body colored plugs to fill those wouldn't appeal to many owners. The front and rear aero have to be set as a whole to avoid biasing the car too much for oversteer or understeer, which would make for poor handling and even safety issues, and it may not be possible to offer front aero that's sufficiently adjustable to offset the removal of a wing. The Cayman GT4 has removable front aero bits, but that's only to offset something like a 2-degree change in rear wing attack angle, just for perspective.

3. It does. The plaque on the rear decklid shown even in the photo above clearly says "GT3 Touring". If you're asking why it doesn't have the lettering in the standard place, that probably goes with the whole "understatement" ethos of this offering. The 911R used the same model designation layout, for what it's worth.

4. On track, the GT3 should destroy a GTS if for no other reason than superior suspension and larger, MUCH stickier tires. On the road, it would probably be a lot more driver-dependent, but on the road I suspect the appeal is going to be much more about the steering feel and the scream of an NA engine rather than outright speeds. (Also, "fare", not "fair".)
Old 09-12-2017, 11:48 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
Gee, thanks for the spelling corrections.
As for question 2.) yes, it's a question.
I suppose a less annoying rephrasing of your answer would have went like, the design effort and cost to provide both wing types which are swappable (without gaping holes), would be too high.. or something along those lines.

Anyway, The Touring Package as well as the resurrected manual option is a sign that Porsche listens and cares about its customer's wants.

Cool
Re spelling, assuming you'd rather learn than remain ignorant, and given that you're presumably out of the formal education system where these things are normally learned, isn't it easier to be corrected by some random person on the Internet who doesn't even know you than to be told by someone you have a real-world relationship with and then wonder if that may have influenced their perception of you all this time? After all, if there are people who make judgments based on clothing and grooming, then there have to be people who make them based on spelling and grammar.

Back on topic, so you're asking about swapping between Touring and GT3 wings rather than just being able to remove the fixed wing of a GT3 (which on closer inspection doesn't even appear to be a separate piece from the deck lid)? In that case, even setting aside the question of whether enough GT3 Touring target customers would be willing to deal with swapping wings to justify the engineering effort, I don't really see how that would be feasible here. The designs are completely different -- one is fixed, the other is powered, the GT3's fixed wing has both intake and exhaust capabilities built into it, they each attach to different areas of the decklid (which is obviously important given that Porsche slightly changed that point for the .2 GT3 compared to .1), and they each require different decklid designs to accommodate the way they work. You'd basically have to swap the entire deck lid, but then you'd have issues about paint fading differently between the two panels both relative to each other and relative to the rest of the car, so one or possibly even both of those panels just wouldn't match the rest of the car after a few years.

And even if you solved all of that, you still wouldn't have solved the issue of needing to balance the front aero out.

Good angle of the 991.2 GT3's rear so you can see just how different it is from the GT3 Touring on the previous page:

Last edited by jphughan; 09-13-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 AM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Much appreciate your answers, but as an equally earnest hint to you; one that might aid you in your personal life as well, you come across as annoying at times.

Yeah.. it's a pain of a design effort, but definitely doable. In the end, probably not worth the cost.

Re spelling, assuming you'd rather learn than remain ignorant, and given that you're presumably out of the formal education system where these things are normally learned, isn't it easier to be corrected by some random person on the Internet who doesn't even know you than to be told by someone you have a real-world relationship with and then wonder if that may have influenced their perception of you all this time?

So you're asking about swapping between Touring and GT3 wings rather than just being able to remove the fixed wing of a GT3 (which on closer inspection doesn't even appear to be a separate piece from the deck lid)? In that case, even setting aside the question of whether enough GT3 Touring target customers would be willing to deal with swapping wings to justify the engineering effort, I don't really see how that would be feasible here. The designs are completely different -- one is fixed, the other is powered, the GT3's fixed wing has both intake and exhaust capabilities built into it, they attach to different areas of the decklid (which is obviously important given that Porsche slightly changed that point for the .2 GT3 compared to .1), and each wing requires different decklid designs to accommodate the way they work. You'd basically have to swap the entire deck lid, but then you'd have issues about paint fading differently between the two panels both relative to each other and relative to the rest of the car, so one or possibly even both of those panels just wouldn't match the rest of the car after a few years.

And even if you solved all of that, you still wouldn't have solved the issue of needing to balance the front aero out.

Good angle of the 991.2 GT3's rear so you can see just how different it is from the GT3 Touring on the previous page:

Last edited by love2drive; 09-13-2017 at 12:14 AM. Reason: missed something
Old 09-13-2017, 12:13 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

clearly my dealer was misinformed. lol. said there was not going to be a touring. well... looks cool. but i am sticking with wing, manual and sport buckets.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:38 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I had been secretly planning to go Brewster Green with mine - contrast with silver trim would have been fantastic - but if PTS is not a thing for this car, I am kind of struggling to find a colour that I like that goes with the silver trim.

- Black / JBM
- Sapphire Blue
- Agate
- Carmine

The thing is, I dont really want any of those colours. Sapphire looks like a cheap colour to me, I have Agate on my GT4 and in sunlight its just not as appealing as in diffuse light, and Carmine has short term appeal but I would get tired of looking at it in the medium to long term. Potentially black, I actually find black a bit of a dull colour, but maybe the silver highlights lift it up enough.

Its a shame, as I think the silver trim on a deep blue or green would be a really refined look - perfect for the wolf in sheeps clothing that this car is.

The other alternative I'm considering is GT silver with the black trim and black wheels, but thats a completely different look and whilst it would be really sharp, is somewhat different from the look I was thinking of.

I've seen a handful of C2S's with the chrome, and it looked great on the CWM and the GT Silver. I agree, the darker colors would pair very well, and I was hoping they would bring Meteor grey back.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:35 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Evo article here with some new (to me) info:

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911-gt3...ixed-rear-wing

New info here (bolded):

By opting for the Touring Pack GT3 customers are doing more than ticking a rear wing delete option. The removal of the fixed rear wing and relying on the retractable wing of the regular 911 Carrera and the small, additional Gurney flap on the trailing edge of the engine cover, means the car’s aero is changed significantly. It has resulted in a shorter front splitter being fitted and beneath the engine and behind the rear bumper there is a bespoke rear diffuser, although this differs compared to the one fitted to the 911 R.

As a result of the aero changes there is less downforce produced, but there’s less drag too, with Touring Pack equipped GT3s quicker than a manual GT3 with the standard body. Cars fitted with the Touring Pack also require their ECUs to be reworked and this requires GT3s ordered with the Touring Pack to have a different wiring loom fitted. It’s one reason why existing GT3s can’t be retro-fitted with the Touring Pack.
Shorter front splitter is good news from a daily driver perspective.

No doubt it being "faster" than the regular gt3 will set tongues wagging!
Old 09-13-2017, 04:56 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,333 Likes on 701 Posts

Nice additional details from evo. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:02 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

- Black / JBM
- Sapphire Blue
- Agate
- Carmine

Oak green metallic would be awesome on this bad boy if they allow PTS.

I am also considering some of the colors you mentioned plus a few other choices.

The colors we have in common are black (not JBM for me), SBM, Agate and Carmine. The other colors I am looking at are Chalk / Crayon and GBM.

Did you consider GBM?

I prefer not doing SBM as it is the launch color car so I feel there will be many around. I think Agate will be a great color for this car and so would GBM. You can't go wrong with Black with Silver trim and silver wheels (MSRP will be low too) but the issue is that it gets dirty very easily, so condom wrap it from day 1 full wrap.

I doubt I will place an order in the end since I am still enjoying my .1 but if the touring / GT3 are the last GT3s in manual then I am considering it.

I like both the GT3 and Touring. I guess once I see the GT3.2 in person I can decide after seeing the scoops and the stripe. I am a fan of alcantara so bummed will not have it if I go Touring.

I also had the 911_50 and I feel touring takes from both the 50 and the GT3. Touring also will be seen on the street less I think since most GT3 allocations have already been taken so it will be more of a "rare / exclusive" option. I am not talking about value appreciating or depreciating I am just saying if 2000 GT3.2s will be built probably way less than half will be Touring. If we consider 60 percent go for PDK and 40 percent go for Manual then out of the 40 percent Manual 20 percent are touring then we are looking at only 160 cars
Old 09-13-2017, 05:06 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

This is why I remain very grateful that I got a GT4 allocation while Dark Blue Metallic was still an option. It may not be a very "GT" color, but since I DD mine, I felt the GT4 was loud enough as it is without needing an attention-grabbing color, and I've just never been able to order cool cars with "normal car" colors like black, white, silver, and gray.

DBM would look great on the touring

please share some pics of your GT4!!!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:09 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 561 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
Does anyone know how this car is spec'd? I generally don't like chrome trim, but this is such a classic look I may do it..are the wheels standard GT3 wheels or Satin Aluminum?

I think this is a standard Touring package with standard wheels.
This is nice with a black car.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:15 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 928cs
I think this is a standard Touring package with standard wheels.
This is nice with a black car.

+1
Old 09-13-2017, 06:38 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
i agree i keep trying to pick a color but i keep looking at the launch photo and the black with chrome trim has a very classic look to it...i may ultimately just replicate that car.

the wheels look like the standard finish, they don't look like the painted aluminum which I would think matches the silver trim better.

what I also can't tell is the rear mesh lid. its black here but I think the configurator suggests its silver-ish on the standard touring trim.
I like black too.

Would it be possible to get Porsche Exclusive to add stripes in red or silver/grey like a 911r? Would this be too much of a 911r imposter?

1) Black with guards red stripes and black wheels with guards red lip

2) Black with silver stripes and silver wheels

Originally Posted by zroom
Does anyone have confirmed information on the interior (stitching, full leather) choices...Specifically, is the choice of stitching with the Touring either black/matching or red deviated stitching as the configurator at least right now only seems to allow? And no full leather seat option? For example, adding steering column in leather with deviated requires deleting touring package.

And FWIW, how great is it that Porsche is offering this purist, understated car. R, GT3 and name and resale value and flippers and everything debated aside, it's a great option for some who want NA, manual and understated classic 911 look. (I really hope I can secure an allocation in the US and hope every purist who wants to purchase one is able to) and another of many choices on the 911.

And FWIW, I do think that for a car that when optioned can come to close to $200K, it would be nice if the customer can have a range of choices on colors and materials such as stitching color and center seat inserts, and not have these arbitrarily (in the sense that some of these combinations and choices are allowed on the winged version of the same car) limited.
I totally agree that there should be a vast number of options. It a "touring" car and in my opinion the perfect stable sibling for a GT2 RS. I would love the car to have full leather with contrast stitching. I don't like the cf like mesh/fabric seat inserts.

Originally Posted by superchargedman
Could someone please photoshop the 911R stripes on this bad boy? I'd be interested to contrast the two. Thanks!
Yes Please! I would put stripes on mine if it didn't make it look like a wannabe 911r.

If I get an allocation:
1) Black
2) Dark Blue (if available)
3) Grey

- Black / JBM
- Sapphire Blue
- Agate
- Carmine

I am with you on a deep dark blue. Black will look great too.
Attached Images     
Old 09-13-2017, 07:49 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 255 Posts

Do you think its just standard black? or JBM?

I want to like Graphite Blue but its a tough color.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shorter front splitter is good news from a daily driver perspective.
!
Very interesting, indeed. Would that mean that the front lift is not an abolute "must have" feature?

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option