Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Carbon bits take 15-20lb off. The LWFW 20lb more -- could be put in a GT3 after market if necessary. Lower volume a marketing gimmick and a non-issue if it's practically the same car.
except that according to AP, they looked into this, and found it destructive to the new engine... 1st time he has explicitly stated that owners should *not* attempt such a retrofit!!!

remember the R and .2 engine internals are significantly different!!!
Old 05-20-2017, 03:15 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
except that according to AP, they looked into this, and found it destructive to the new engine... 1st time he has explicitly stated that owners should *not* attempt such a retrofit!!!
In that case, no LWFW -- no biggie.

remember the R and .2 engine internals are significantly different!!!
Yes, the .2 engine is better.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:34 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Tune not really necessary, nor would it really make any difference. The two cars are light years different in construction and character. I'd have zero interest in a GTS, but would think long and hard about doing the touring version of a GT3 if I had the choice. 50-50.

There was a good write up on Jalopnik this week about the GTS and how dead and clinical it feels. Don't think the experience is anything like driving a GT3, lap times be damned.
BINGO.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:46 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back to corduroy...
From a delightful air-cooled that's up for sale and may just part me from my money. Love the look:

Old 05-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfmobil
I just sold my 17 GTS after two weeks. I completely agree with above. Very fast, very comfortable and absolutely boring car. One thing that really bothered me is that I could not hear the engine. Sport exhaust off you hear nothing but Turbo whoosh. Sport exhaust on you just hear the artificial burbling of the pipes. I actually drove it 40 miles. To drive 997 RS and 911R and then drove GTS 40 miles back. Next day dropped it off at the dealer. I also had a Macan GTS and agree with Jalopnik it is more exciting.
I have a 991R and I would really love a .2 GT3 with touring package.
Thanks for the educated insight.

My 991.1 is a little more visceral than the .2. The chassis isn't as refined, you have to work the engine more, and it feels less GT like than the .2. I drove them back to back before deciding to buy a .1.

But it's not a GT3. I bought my 911 with the aim of being able to have all 4 of us enjoy it. So while I really preferred a 997, it's not big enough for my wife and two kids to ride in. The 991 is, but feels larger, more aloof and more inert.

I want a GT3 Touring to get some of that tied down, lithe and adjustable feel back. Get more feedback flowing. More old school Porsche DNA. I don't care if it's not a GT3...call it something else. An RS? Whatever. But that's what I want. It's not just the atmo engine I'm after, it's the rest of the experience
Old 05-20-2017, 05:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Basically we all just want a return to NA cars as that's all anyone here is really pining for. Maybe Porsche had no alternative but to go turbo, but it hasn't done them any favors. I think and hope that turbo is just an intermediate step towards a better hybrid, although the eliminating of hybrid for 992 is discouraging in this sense. NA+hybrid, if constructed light enough, is a fantastic driving and power delivery experience as the 918 spyder shows. If only we can make featherweight batteries somehow.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:40 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Firstly I hope the X90 is a thing. Secondly I hope they don't restrict it to manual, I know many people love them but I'm in a committed relationship with PDK. Thirdly I hope it won't be a limited run so I can actually buy one.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
In that case, no LWFW -- no biggie.

Yes, the .2 engine is better.
my point was that the .2 engines internals differ significantly from that of the R's ... thus the fact that the R has an LWFW option does not imply that it would
function on the .2's engine (regardless of the existence of AP's warning about this)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:52 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Basically we all just want a return to NA cars as that's all anyone here is really pining for. Maybe Porsche had no alternative but to go turbo, but it hasn't done them any favors. I think and hope that turbo is just an intermediate step towards a better hybrid, although the eliminating of hybrid for 992 is discouraging in this sense. NA+hybrid, if constructed light enough, is a fantastic driving and power delivery experience as the 918 spyder shows. If only we can make featherweight batteries somehow.
Nano capacitors are still 10-15 years out. That will be the next step. Charge faster, discharge faster, lighter than Li, no degradation, no chemicals, and longer life.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PantsFire
Firstly I hope the X90 is a thing. Secondly I hope they don't restrict it to manual, I know many people love them but I'm in a committed relationship with PDK. Thirdly I hope it won't be a limited run so I can actually buy one.
So you dont think that PAG marketing will retain the fundamental difference (and value) between the R (apart from the limited availability etc) and the .2 GT3?

I'd be one mighitly pissed off R owner if the GT3 came with an R-like aero pkg and a 6MT ... what goes up will come down!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:26 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Tune not really necessary, nor would it really make any difference. The two cars are light years different in construction and character. I'd have zero interest in a GTS, but would think long and hard about doing the touring version of a GT3 if I had the choice. 50-50.

There was a good write up on Jalopnik this week about the GTS and how dead and clinical it feels. Don't think the experience is anything like driving a GT3, lap times be damned.
If the GTS came with a slightly detuned GT3 motor, GT3 like suspension, and a 6-speed, it would be tough for me to justify the GT3. But the current GTS does nothing for me. Honestly all of the standard 911s do nothing for me now. My only interest is older N/A 911's and new the GT3 or Turbo/S.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
So you dont think that PAG marketing will retain the fundamental difference (and value) between the R (apart from the limited availability etc) and the .2 GT3?

I'd be one mighitly pissed off R owner if the GT3 came with an R-like aero pkg and a 6MT ... what goes up will come down!
I don't think a aero-less 6Mt .2 GT3 is an issue when compared to an R. First this X90 probably won't be limited. It should have rear seats as a differentiator and more weight (didn't R have carbon hood & fenders?) maybe 5 lug wheels too.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:50 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

So the 991.2 GT3 will be available in a sport model and a luxury model. Is that similar to a Honda Accord in a SE sport edition and an LX luxury edition? Will the 991.1 then be the last unadulterated GT3 Porsche built ? Doesn't mean I don't want a .2, just making myself feel better about the '16 .1 I just bought. Moderators please don't ban me.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,333 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by porscharu
Nano capacitors are still 10-15 years out. That will be the next step. Charge faster, discharge faster, lighter than Li, no degradation, no chemicals, and longer life.
Thanks.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:17 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Agree completely with this. I refuse to buy a modern turbo'd flat 6 because it's just not the same. Every test drive of the new 911's has just left me cold.

Adding the electric power to cope help drive the car? That would be perfect.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option