Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
^ Not me. MSRP to MSRP, I would take the newer engine and (IMO) improved looks, skip the CF/Mg pieces and pepita, and save $40k. Every day of the week.
Agreed.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:59 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I think the R is a special car and the vent on the rear bumper gives a nice contrast on lighter colored cars, but I really like the more subtle features of the GT3 touring. Also with the new engine and more track oriented suspension fits me more than the R, I think most people would disagree with me and I get it. 3 things really bother me though, and as an early adopter I have little choice. Can't get deviated stitching right now which may end up being a blessing as I like the blend of the darker stitching on the black leather and every R has dev stitching so I like the diff. But the silver gearshift **** is cheapo, a carbon fiber or even something more simple like fully covered in leather would have been better. Easy fix though. 2 the Gurney flap looks like an add on bit from general motors and ruins the smooth lines. I may just have to have an "accident" to remove it. Lastly the seat cushions in cloth look a bit cheap as well. I love the look in the R and might just have to go with the Pepita, but lately I have looking as the old school Pasha seat covers a little more psychodelic than I'd like but hey different
Old 12-05-2017, 05:31 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I think the R is a special car and the vent on the rear bumper gives a nice contrast on lighter colored cars, but I really like the more subtle features of the GT3 touring. Also with the new engine and more track oriented suspension fits me more than the R, I think most people would disagree with me and I get it. 3 things really bother me though, and as an early adopter I have little choice. Can't get deviated stitching right now which may end up being a blessing as I like the blend of the darker stitching on the black leather and every R has dev stitching so I like the diff. But the silver gearshift **** is cheapo, a carbon fiber or even something more simple like fully covered in leather would have been better. Easy fix though. 2 the Gurney flap looks like an add on bit from general motors and ruins the smooth lines. I may just have to have an "accident" to remove it. Lastly the seat cushions in cloth look a bit cheap as well. I love the look in the R and might just have to go with the Pepita, but lately I have looking as the old school Pasha seat covers a little more psychodelic than I'd like but hey different
Hopefully we will get some pics and opinions soon from those attending the LA auto show with regards to the cloth seats as well as other bits. I'm also hoping the gurney flap (its not even really a gurney flap -> marketing!!) looks better in real life.

Mine is due Feb 18 so I guess we'll see. As I mentioned before on other threads, its amazing that up to now no one has really seen much detail of the Touring bar the ugly blue one in Geneva and a few spy shots.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:34 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
^ Not me. MSRP to MSRP, I would take the newer engine and (IMO) improved looks, skip the CF/Mg pieces and pepita, and save $40k. Every day of the week.

how about LWMF?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:04 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Hopefully we will get some pics and opinions soon from those attending the LA auto show with regards to the cloth seats as well as other bits. I'm also hoping the gurney flap (its not even really a gurney flap -> marketing!!) looks better in real life.

Mine is due Feb 18 so I guess we'll see. As I mentioned before on other threads, its amazing that up to now no one has really seen much detail of the Touring bar the ugly blue one in Geneva and a few spy shots.
I was at the LA show this past weekend, again the gurney flap may be helpful with downforce but it's just an add on bit in person, just epoxied on it doesn't look horrendous but an afterthought. I really looked hard at the cloth seats and just meh. Very cheap for a over $150K car, my local dealer has 2 Rs in a showroom and the Pepita really has some panache makes me want it simply to get rid of the sport tec covers. The funny thing was how the gear shift looked odd, just didn't match the LWB or the whole car. I am beginning to think they brought the touring edition in that spec to showcase how great the 911T is as the T really stole the GT3s thunder. The lightweight windows and price point really made the 3 touring look like a waste of money. They know all the GT3s will sell but I think they are pushing to make the T a success. If the GT2RS hadn't been there the 911T would have stolen the whole show.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
how about LWMF?
Sounds appealing, but can't comment since I have not driven a 911R or GT3 Touring. But I would still take the latter given the hypothetical.

Don't get me wrong...if I had secured a 911R allocation, I would continue to be very happy with it.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:31 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

This pic from LA makes it look sexy and the interior pictures of the stick looks good too
Attached Images    
Old 12-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 127 Posts

I was at the LA show this past weekend, again the gurney flap may be helpful with downforce but it's just an add on bit in person, just epoxied on it doesn't look horrendous but an afterthought. I really looked hard at the cloth seats and just meh. Very cheap for a over $150K car, my local dealer has 2 Rs in a showroom and the Pepita really has some panache makes me want it simply to get rid of the sport tec covers. The funny thing was how the gear shift looked odd, just didn't match the LWB or the whole car. I am beginning to think they brought the touring edition in that spec to showcase how great the 911T is as the T really stole the GT3s thunder. The lightweight windows and price point really made the 3 touring look like a waste of money. They know all the GT3s will sell but I think they are pushing to make the T a success. If the GT2RS hadn't been there the 911T would have stolen the whole show.
Were you able to get inside and sit in the Touring at the LA Auto Show? I understand the fabric used on the Sport Buckets on the Touring breath well, which is a good thing. I will be at the show tomorrow afternoon and plan to take photos and a video. Now, if they would just ship my Touring. It's been sitting at the port in Emden for 3-1/2 weeks now. Very frustrating when I hear of other's who's cars were only there for 3-4 days! Something to do with only once a month shipments to Benicia, California...
Old 12-05-2017, 07:42 PM
_fletch
Racer

Thanks for the info and opinions.

Regarding the seat cloth, I wonder if there are any other good aftermarket options other than Pepita... I really love the look of Pepita in the Rs but I dont want to clone
Old 12-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Thanks for the info and opinions.

Regarding the seat cloth, I wonder if there are any other good aftermarket options other than Pepita... I really love the look of Pepita in the Rs but I dont want to clone
I'll try to get some good photos of the seats tomorrow and share.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 PM
_fletch
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris88
I'll try to get some good photos of the seats tomorrow and share.
Thank you sir!!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I am thinking about doing something vintage for the seat centers if I don’t like them.

https://www.lakewell.com/en/general/fabrics

My inability to find sheepskin covers for the LWBs has my gears turning.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 289 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I am thinking about doing something vintage for the seat centers if I don’t like them.

https://www.lakewell.com/en/general/fabrics

My inability to find sheepskin covers for the LWBs has my gears turning.
That's a great option. I was quoted $3555 for the Houndstooth inserts through Porsche Exclusive recently...
Old 12-05-2017, 08:43 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Pasha would be cool. I am waiting to get the car to see what it is in person before deciding.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Oh it's going to be so hard to wait until next fall for my car.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option