Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 07:30 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 60 Posts

600LT top down which is how it rides 90% of the time.

The following 5 users liked this post by kmy:
cadster (06-05-2021), Gary(SF) (06-04-2021), GTeaTree (06-07-2021), heshalosny (06-08-2021), thebishman (06-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 08:43 PM
nolocontendere
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kmy
Current porsche /mclaren stable includes a 993 RUF turbo R, 991.2 GT3RS, 992TTS, 720S and 600LT spider.

The porsches are fantastic as many of us know. Incredible in so many ways. The RUF is in a league of its own, but I equate the 720s to my tuned 992TTS and the 600LT to the gt3RS.

As much as I hate to admit it (Always been a huge porsche fan) for driving experience alone I think the Mclaren's have the porsche's beat and not by an insignificant amount.

The 720s is much lighter and faster than my 800+hp 992TTS and other than from a standing start quicker as well. Vs a stock 992TTS it's a very noticeable difference. The ride in the 720s is more compliant and visibility is as good if not better. If it didn't look as outrageous as it does I could easily daily the car. I bought it new and have 5K miles of seat time in the 720s and it has been issue free and completely reliable. It's the most impressive performance car I've ever owned by a wide margin.

The 600LT is a spider. I'm not a convertible guy but once I tried it, there was no question I wanted it over the coupe. You don't lose anything from a performance perspective given the carbon tub and the sound with the top down or rear window down is incredible. I also think it looks great top up or down. It is such a visceral car. Much much quicker in a straight line in any RPM than the GT3. Incredible steering feel. Comparable braking as well. I'd give an edge to the gt3 in terms of sound, but the pops and bangs in the LT are incredible especially given where the exhaust exits. It's also such an easy car to drive daily. very compliant, great visibility, etc. and this one has also been problem free. I've put 6K miles on the LT in just over a year and loved every mile.

Don't get me wrong. I love the porsches and will always be a fan, but for pure driving experience I find myself yearning for the Mclaren's 9x out of 10, which is why they are getting much more seat time than the porsches which I expect to continue.

Great post and completely on point. Real world experience from people who have owned both marques is the most telling and helpful

Last edited by nolocontendere; 06-05-2021 at 09:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kmy (06-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 09:27 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

I started out searching for a 675LT. Missed out on a 1-owner roof scoop car. That sent me down the McLaren rabbit hole. Ended up getting a 720S coupe and eventually found a 765LT!

Honestly, I think the 765LT might be too extreme but that’s also part of its charm. I am loving it. As other owners might have shared already, the performance is mind bending. It’s a keeper!
The following 2 users liked this post by ForeverCar:
cadster (06-05-2021), heshalosny (06-08-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 12:29 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by kmy
600LT top down which is how it rides 90% of the time.

Yeah, top down is such a cool experience. Although, I do think the 600LT has the coolest looking roof scoop of all the McLarens and I love how it sounds. That being said, I’m going Spider on the 765LT.
kmy (06-06-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 04:30 AM
fore150
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kmy
Current porsche /mclaren stable includes a 993 RUF turbo R, 991.2 GT3RS, 992TTS, 720S and 600LT spider.

The porsches are fantastic as many of us know. Incredible in so many ways. The RUF is in a league of its own, but I equate the 720s to my tuned 992TTS and the 600LT to the gt3RS.

As much as I hate to admit it (Always been a huge porsche fan) for driving experience alone I think the Mclaren's have the porsche's beat and not by an insignificant amount.

The 720s is much lighter and faster than my 800+hp 992TTS and other than from a standing start quicker as well. Vs a stock 992TTS it's a very noticeable difference. The ride in the 720s is more compliant and visibility is as good if not better. If it didn't look as outrageous as it does I could easily daily the car. I bought it new and have 5K miles of seat time in the 720s and it has been issue free and completely reliable. It's the most impressive performance car I've ever owned by a wide margin.

The 600LT is a spider. I'm not a convertible guy but once I tried it, there was no question I wanted it over the coupe. You don't lose anything from a performance perspective given the carbon tub and the sound with the top down or rear window down is incredible. I also think it looks great top up or down. It is such a visceral car. Much much quicker in a straight line in any RPM than the GT3. Incredible steering feel. Comparable braking as well. I'd give an edge to the gt3 in terms of sound, but the pops and bangs in the LT are incredible especially given where the exhaust exits. It's also such an easy car to drive daily. very compliant, great visibility, etc. and this one has also been problem free. I've put 6K miles on the LT in just over a year and loved every mile.

Don't get me wrong. I love the porsches and will always be a fan, but for pure driving experience I find myself yearning for the Mclaren's 9x out of 10, which is why they are getting much more seat time than the porsches which I expect to continue.

Great post.

Last edited by fore150; 06-05-2021 at 04:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fore150:
kmy (06-05-2021), Lebreeze (06-06-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 03:18 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

KMY, thanks for that post. A perspective from an owner and driver of McLarens. I, too, am a Porsche fan boy although I believe in experiencing other marquees; some will be good and some won't. Some day I'll own a 720s or whatever the next iteration will be. Hybrid ok, pure electric... boooooo.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:37 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
That is surprising, given the stiffness of the carbon tub. I hope they can come up with a fix (different mounting solution or something).
‘It sounds like it doesn’t have anything to do with the carbon tub, but how they glued the windshield in place. And it does sound like they have a new method that should keep it from happening again. It’s going to be covered under warranty, so not a huge deal.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:23 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

I had the top glass cracked on my new 2020 720S. During the same drive, a friend’s 720S also cracked. Luckily, local dealership is great and they are replaced with the carbon top.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:59 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C2Spin
KMY, thanks for that post. A perspective from an owner and driver of McLarens. I, too, am a Porsche fan boy although I believe in experiencing other marquees; some will be good and some won't. Some day I'll own a 720s or whatever the next iteration will be. Hybrid ok, pure electric... boooooo.
Haha! Glad I could provide some perspective. I’ve had the 720s for three years and have yet to grow tired of it. It really is that good. And if you like gt3’s you’ll love the 600lt. I was surprised how good it was and how different from the 720. Anyone who hasn’t tried both I highly recommend doing so.

the only thing I’m toying with now is trying the 765lt but I have mixed views. I hear it’s faster but the 720s is honestly too fast for the road. It’s sometimes an exercise in restraint more than anything. I also hear the 765 is pretty stiff vs the 720s which is amazingly compliant and useable. Lastly the 720s has depreciated so arguably its a better time to buy than sell now whereas the 765 is still very early in that curve.

I guess I’m talking myself out of it but let’s be honest it’s fun to try new cars even if it’s often a horrible financial decision!!
Old 06-05-2021, 06:12 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kmy
Haha! Glad I could provide some perspective. I’ve had the 720s for three years and have yet to grow tired of it. It really is that good. And if you like gt3’s you’ll love the 600lt. I was surprised how good it was and how different from the 720. Anyone who hasn’t tried both I highly recommend doing so.

the only thing I’m toying with now is trying the 765lt but I have mixed views. I hear it’s faster but the 720s is honestly too fast for the road. It’s sometimes an exercise in restraint more than anything. I also hear the 765 is pretty stiff vs the 720s which is amazingly compliant and useable. Lastly the 720s has depreciated so arguably its a better time to buy than sell now whereas the 765 is still very early in that curve.

I guess I’m talking myself out of it but let’s be honest it’s fun to try new cars even if it’s often a horrible financial decision!!
I had Michelin PS4S on my 720S. On Trofeo R, I was surprised that I don’t find the 765LT to be mich stiffer. Louder, less insulation, more vibration for sure. But I was pleasantly surprised by how great it rides in comfort mode. Also, Trofeo R runs a bit lower pressure so that might help.
kmy (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 02:17 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
Yeah, top down is such a cool experience. Although, I do think the 600LT has the coolest looking roof scoop of all the McLarens and I love how it sounds. That being said, I’m going Spider on the 765LT.
Nice!! I’d love your impressions once you get some seat time. I was offered a build slot but passed since I was struggling to justify nearly 2x the price of the 720s which is such a phenomenal and useable car. But from everything I have read snd seen it’s a step up for sure!
Old 06-06-2021, 02:20 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
I had Michelin PS4S on my 720S. On Trofeo R, I was surprised that I don’t find the 765LT to be mich stiffer. Louder, less insulation, more vibration for sure. But I was pleasantly surprised by how great it rides in comfort mode. Also, Trofeo R runs a bit lower pressure so that might help.
that makes sense. I know it’s all personal preference but from your perspective was it worth the upgrade or is the 720s 90% of the car for a lot less dollars? I honestly can’t even fathom a road car that is much more capable than the 720s in most conditions but mclaren always seems to exceed expectations in the performance category.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:16 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kmy
that makes sense. I know it’s all personal preference but from your perspective was it worth the upgrade or is the 720s 90% of the car for a lot less dollars? I honestly can’t even fathom a road car that is much more capable than the 720s in most conditions but mclaren always seems to exceed expectations in the performance category.
720s or 765LT is a tough one for sure. It’s very much about the trade offs and how it fits into what one is looking for.

A short summary is, the 765LT is quite a bit more intense (acceleration, sound, vibration) compared to the 720S. However, the 765LT is loud enough that I would want ear plugs for long drives (for me, that’d be 3+ hours). Traction on the street is quite limited anyway so the acceleration difference is noticeable but requires good conditions. While I like the 765LT sound more, it’s also a bit much.

For me, the 765LT is my go get beat up by my car intense driving experience so it works great. I use other cars to tour around, etc.

If I go with fewer cars, I actually think I would get more enjoyable miles out of a 720S. The peak might be a tad lower but more area under the curve.
kmy (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 04:56 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

720s or 765LT is a tough one for sure. It’s very much about the trade offs and how it fits into what one is looking for.

A short summary is, the 765LT is quite a bit more intense (acceleration, sound, vibration) compared to the 720S. However, the 765LT is loud enough that I would want ear plugs for long drives (for me, that’d be 3+ hours). Traction on the street is quite limited anyway so the acceleration difference is noticeable but requires good conditions. While I like the 765LT sound more, it’s also a bit much.

For me, the 765LT is my go get beat up by my car intense driving experience so it works great. I use other cars to tour around, etc.

If I go with fewer cars, I actually think I would get more enjoyable miles out of a 720S. The peak might be a tad lower but more area under the curve.
Thanks for the comparison. Sounds like the 765LT is the car for me!
Old 06-06-2021, 06:45 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Yep. Greats insights. Thank you for sharing. Sounds like i need to try one!!

Quick Reply: McLaren Success