Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Holly Smokes is that fast as stock
Old 01-19-2021, 08:16 AM
cadster
Instructor

Received 287 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
Billy Johnson weighs in on the 600LT at Buttonwillow. I know he drove a Senna on the same day and will surely post a video of that later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid...ature=youtu.be
Great video. Jam packed with interesting information.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:32 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 792 Posts

9.3 is amazing stock. Let's not discretit Brooks either, he is a great driver with tons of experience.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:01 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by cadster
Great video. Jam packed with interesting information.
he”ll have a couple of more videos from this past Sunday.

he reset the record with the same 600 Lt by one second (1:45.6) and then a few hours later he reset it again with the senna .

the lowest a gt3rs has done is a 1:49 in the same configuration (13cw)
Old 01-19-2021, 12:04 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
he”ll have a couple of more videos from this past Sunday.

he reset the record with the same 600 Lt by one second (1:45.6) and then a few hours later he reset it again with the senna .

the lowest a gt3rs has done is a 1:49 in the same configuration (13cw)
Not surprised, bigger tracks favor mclarens (hp). Smaller tracks favor gt3 (grip). I just with Mclarem wasn't so **** requiring a $500 pre and $500 post track inspection....
Old 01-19-2021, 12:13 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Not surprised, bigger tracks favor mclarens (hp). Smaller tracks favor gt3 (grip). I just with Mclarem wasn't so **** requiring a $500 pre and $500 post track inspection....
buttonwillow doesn’t favor higher horsepower cars . It’s more of a momentum track. A lot of throttle manipulation is required with anything above 500 horsepower . (He drove my senna and I was managing the throttle on probably 80% of the track )

officially track inspections are required . Unofficially it’s a bit different . The typical person who tracks the odd time will not know how to check their oil , tread on tires or if they have enough brake pad left . (They may drive several thousand miles between track days and not have the latest software updates, etc).

a person who tracks frequently would know how to check these things or have other knowledgeable people looking at their cars.

the track inspection that dealers do is almost identical to the track inspection checklist that we sign with organizers at a typical track day .
Old 01-19-2021, 12:19 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
buttonwillow doesn’t favor higher horsepower cars . It’s more of a momentum track. A lot of throttle manipulation is required with anything above 500 horsepower . (He drove my senna and I was managing the throttle on probably 80% of the track )

officially track inspections are required . Unofficially it’s a bit different . The typical person who tracks the odd time will not know how to check their oil , tread on tires or if they have enough brake pad left . (They may drive several thousand miles between track days and not have the latest software updates, etc).

a person who tracks frequently would know how to check these things or have other knowledgeable people looking at their cars.

the track inspection that dealers do is almost identical to the track inspection checklist that we sign with organizers at a typical track day .
I'm not denying someone who regularly tracks a mclaren can perform basic tasks such as checking oil, brakes, ect.

That isn't the point, if you tank your engine at the track and haven't done a pre purchase inspection it is likely they will void your warranty. A good friend of mine was the service manager at Mclaren Tampa and would tell me horror stories from corporate denying warranty claims. Just sharing my real world experience. This is an element where Porsche would shine as they are harder pressed to deny warranty claims from track use...
The following 2 users liked this post by flsupraguy:
heshalosny (02-05-2021), yesyoucan (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 01:16 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
Damn. Brooks' first passes with his 765LT...9.4 @ 150 on non-Corsa OEM PZeros. 9.3 @ 151 on R888, 0-60 2.1, 60-130 4.7
Watched this last night and came here to post this. Goddamn that is FAST for a turbo, RWD car.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:50 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I'm not denying someone who regularly tracks a mclaren can perform basic tasks such as checking oil, brakes, ect.

That isn't the point, if you tank your engine at the track and haven't done a pre purchase inspection it is likely they will void your warranty. A good friend of mine was the service manager at Mclaren Tampa and would tell me horror stories from corporate denying warranty claims. Just sharing my real world experience. This is an element where Porsche would shine as they are harder pressed to deny warranty claims from track use...
Maybe a stupid question on my part - how would Mclaren know if you were at the track with your car when a problem happened?
Old 01-19-2021, 02:00 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT
Maybe a stupid question on my part - how would Mclaren know if you were at the track with your car when a problem happened?
I don't know if this is true but I believe they can read your ECU and determine if you were driving aggressively (Ie track driving).
Old 01-19-2021, 02:09 PM
FLGT
Pro

Originally Posted by jgorscak
I don't know if this is true but I believe they can read your ECU and determine if you were driving aggressively (Ie track driving).
I have some acquaintances who drive on the street, as if they were on the track...
While I certainly don't endorse that, seems like it would be hard for Mclaren to prove where you were when something occurred. The fact that they even try, is as bit disconcerting to me.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:28 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

Maybe the car logs it's GPS location when it detects engine failure?

In any case, it seems Mac does engage in some interesting tactics. For example, I know they have people monitoring social media to try and find and flag VINs to void warranties on cars that have had modifications.
The following users liked this post:
HenryPcar (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 02:41 PM
FLGT
Pro

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
Maybe the car logs it's GPS location when it detects engine failure?

In any case, it seems Mac does engage in some interesting tactics. For example, I know they have people monitoring social media to try and find and flag VINs to void warranties on cars that have had modifications.
Sad state of affairs if they are doing the above.
Using car's GPS datalog seems like it would be relatively easier, if they are wanting to find exclusions.
Big corporations watching you...

Last edited by FLGT; 01-19-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:57 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT
I have some acquaintances who drive on the street, as if they were on the track...
While I certainly don't endorse that, seems like it would be hard for Mclaren to prove where you were when something occurred. The fact that they even try, is as bit disconcerting to me.
I think it would be very hard to mimick "real" track driving on the street. A typical track session consists of RPMs consistently above 5500 and MPH ranging from 75-150 for 20 mins straight without stopping (for example). On the street I would think it would be hard to do that consistently for that amount of time. Ie traffic, red light, stop sign...
Old 01-19-2021, 03:16 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

I've bought 9 mclaren's. I've tracked all of them. I currently have 3 of them (senna/p1/600 LT). All except one was purchased from my local and servicing dealer.

I track frequently at tracks all around California. I, pretty much know the many mclaren owners who track their cars locally, around the country and worldwide (I have a lot of mclaren owners follow me on instagram). They do NOT do the track inspections each and every track day. However, they are knowledgeable or have other knowledgeable people look at their cars. They do not do 15 track days and then have someone examine their cars. The things that can go wrong with the cars would NOT be discovered in a track inspection. However, things that could go wrong that would have been discovered in a track inspection (normal tech sheet), then you could get in trouble if those specific things failed.

The track inspections cost more because they do a brake flush every time (not really required every time you do a track inspection but that is what they do).

It is true that they do monitor social media, car forums, etc., to determine modifications to a car (not tires/brakes) but rather, lowering your car, having oversized wheels, tunes, etc. This will get you in trouble with the warranty. They are not the only manufacture who does this (especially if a person is going to try to lemon a car)

Mclaren is the only manufacture that warranties each and every road car for track use. The others don't (porsche/lambo/ferrari). Ferrari and Lambo only warranty on the respective dealer or manufacture track days. Other manufactures only warranty track use for specific cars and not blanket all cars.

Manufactures are obviously interested when a part does fail. If it is something they don't see often then they want to know what they are dealing with (possible recalls, manufacture communications, etc.). If they start seeing one off's then they start digging to see why it may have failed in your specific car. If it is related to track use and you never had any track inspections or track inspections would have remedied the situation then you can expect to have issues. (nothing different then any other manufacture).

When something does go wrong then one of the first questions they ask the tech is whether has had track inspections. If you purchased your car from the servicing dealer then you will be on the right side of the decision.

Note: Many people who track Mclarens are not near a local dealer.

The cars do store a lot of data. Google mclaren owners handbook and it will state what type of data is stored and how it can be used. (I don't think this is any different than any other manufactures).

The following 3 users liked this post by yesyoucan:
AlexCeres (02-02-2021), Gary(SF) (01-19-2021), MiamiBlue (01-20-2021)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success