Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 04:22 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
I've bought 9 mclaren's. I've tracked all of them. I currently have 3 of them (senna/p1/600 LT). All except one was purchased from my local and servicing dealer.

I track frequently at tracks all around California. I, pretty much know the many mclaren owners who track their cars locally, around the country and worldwide (I have a lot of mclaren owners follow me on instagram). They do NOT do the track inspections each and every track day. However, they are knowledgeable or have other knowledgeable people look at their cars. They do not do 15 track days and then have someone examine their cars. The things that can go wrong with the cars would NOT be discovered in a track inspection. However, things that could go wrong that would have been discovered in a track inspection (normal tech sheet), then you could get in trouble if those specific things failed.

The track inspections cost more because they do a brake flush every time (not really required every time you do a track inspection but that is what they do).

It is true that they do monitor social media, car forums, etc., to determine modifications to a car (not tires/brakes) but rather, lowering your car, having oversized wheels, tunes, etc. This will get you in trouble with the warranty. They are not the only manufacture who does this (especially if a person is going to try to lemon a car)

Mclaren is the only manufacture that warranties each and every road car for track use. The others don't (porsche/lambo/ferrari). Ferrari and Lambo only warranty on the respective dealer or manufacture track days. Other manufactures only warranty track use for specific cars and not blanket all cars.

Manufactures are obviously interested when a part does fail. If it is something they don't see often then they want to know what they are dealing with (possible recalls, manufacture communications, etc.). If they start seeing one off's then they start digging to see why it may have failed in your specific car. If it is related to track use and you never had any track inspections or track inspections would have remedied the situation then you can expect to have issues. (nothing different then any other manufacture).

When something does go wrong then one of the first questions they ask the tech is whether has had track inspections. If you purchased your car from the servicing dealer then you will be on the right side of the decision.

Note: Many people who track Mclarens are not near a local dealer.

The cars do store a lot of data. Google mclaren owners handbook and it will state what type of data is stored and how it can be used. (I don't think this is any different than any other manufactures).
Personally, I can understand this. I think you tune at your own risk and bear the consequences if something goes wrong. My 600LT is tuned and if the engine fails I don't expect it to be covered.

But, I think people should be aware that Mac does monitor this stuff. I would never try and hide a tune, as I don't think that is honest, but I have no doubt there are some who would and might be surprised to learn that Mac already knows about it.
The following users liked this post:
yesyoucan (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 05:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT
I have some acquaintances who drive on the street, as if they were on the track...
While I certainly don't endorse that, seems like it would be hard for Mclaren to prove where you were when something occurred. The fact that they even try, is as bit disconcerting to me.
That's not possible.

Like literally not possible to drive "on the street, as if they were on the track" unless you just don't know how to really drive a car on a track. Which, of course, is always a possibility.
AlexCeres (02-02-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 05:24 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
That's not possible.

Like literally not possible to drive "on the street, as if they were on the track" unless you just don't know how to really drive a car on a track. Which, of course, is always a possibility.
i was joking about driving on street like track. Sorry for confusion.
Its nuts big corporations tracking our cars’ data to exclude warranty claims. I guess i am not surprised though

Last edited by FLGT; 01-19-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:10 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
Personally, I can understand this. I think you tune at your own risk and bear the consequences if something goes wrong. My 600LT is tuned and if the engine fails I don't expect it to be covered.

But, I think people should be aware that Mac does monitor this stuff. I would never try and hide a tune, as I don't think that is honest, but I have no doubt there are some who would and might be surprised to learn that Mac already knows about it.
+1.

I know a lot of stories (behind the complainers on car forums), and people who have had warranty issues. Unfortunately, people just do not heed the warnings of their dealer. I'd strongly suggest people have an open conversation with their service dealers BEFORE they consider modifications.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Booth9999 (02-05-2021), cadster (02-02-2021), Napoli (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:11 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

885 LT
cadster (02-06-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:53 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I consider my 720 to be one of the fastest things out there and this has according to the video another what 75 or so hp and lighter. Jesus.
cadster (02-06-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:58 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

Yeah, crazy. I love the color of his car.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:20 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

C&D Lightning Lap 2021. Gotta say, as impressive as the 765LT is on track, I expected a bigger delta to the 720S. Lap time difference is less than 1% and the LT was on Trofeos, the 720S on Corsas. LT was 3 mph faster on the straight. I would have guessed 4-5 sec quicker and 8-10 mph faster before I saw the video. All the usual disclaimers apply of course...different day, maybe a different driver (although looks like the same guy in the two videos), maybe not optimum temps for the Trofeos. But I did expect more.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
C&D Lightning Lap 2021. Gotta say, as impressive as the 765LT is on track, I expected a bigger delta to the 720S. Lap time difference is less than 1% and the LT was on Trofeos, the 720S on Corsas. LT was 3 mph faster on the straight. I would have guessed 4-5 sec quicker and 8-10 mph faster before I saw the video. All the usual disclaimers apply of course...different day, maybe a different driver (although looks like the same guy in the two videos), maybe not optimum temps for the Trofeos. But I did expect more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3muF...ature=emb_logo
At a track (VIR) that is only about 4 miles, 4 to 5 seconds is an eternity my friend.

That said, I'm surprised the 765LT didn't beat the GT2 RS time.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 02-03-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:37 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Only 3.3 miles? Yeah it's not the Ring, but that's pretty long as US tracks go, and as I pointed out, less than 1% difference in lap times. With all that extra power, Trofeos, lighter weight, better brakes, 15% shorter gearing, and track seats, I don't think 3-4% would be an outrageous delta. After all, the 720S is not considered to be a track-optimized model, and the LT of course is.

Last edited by Gary(SF); 02-03-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:30 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

If you read the article on the lightning lap at VIR (disclaimer I read it pretty fast) for the 765LT, they said they wished they read the manual. There is a mode called VDC that if they turned it on would have minimized “drift” and would have improved the lap time. They didn’t speculate by exactly how much but said would have given them a crack at the Porsche time.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:40 AM
pepinozaur
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Vdc is variable drift control and by default runs off, that means it doesnt allow drifting at all.

And with a bit if drifting/rotation the car should be faster...

The vdc was introduced on the 720s so nothing new and fancy here
Old 02-04-2021, 11:05 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by pepinozaur
Vdc is variable drift control and by default runs off, that means it doesnt allow drifting at all.

And with a bit if drifting/rotation the car should be faster...

The vdc was introduced on the 720s so nothing new and fancy here
There ya go. Seems like times would have improved with it on. Sounds like they didn't know about it - so it was new and fancy to them
Old 02-04-2021, 11:54 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
There ya go. Seems like times would have improved with it on. Sounds like they didn't know about it - so it was new and fancy to them
I read the article and was surprised by this as it's the same as the 720. I guess they didn't use it when they tested the 720. I usually adjust the VDC to about 3 or 4 bars on the screen and found this worked best for me when I was tracking my 720 at Road Atlanta. I don't know much about the traction in the Trofeos on the LT, but I wonder if they are as sticky as the MPSC2Rs that were on the 2RS?

Nevertheless, I don't know how many laps a pro has to have around VIR to ring out every fraction of a second on the 765LT. I can't even imagine what it felt like.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success