Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 06:17 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
No sir! See if you can negotiate they pay for a one year warranty, and the MAC dealer basically can do the PPI to certify it’s valid for a warranty. Sounds like a good car, but it’s still a used McLaren with limited people that can work on it. I’d say the same for Ferrari as I had one of those do, repairs are just a different ball game than working on a Porsche. Either way good luck.
don't you have to wait 90 days if it's not purchased from a McLaren dealer?
Old 07-11-2023, 06:21 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
don't you have to wait 90 days if it's not purchased from a McLaren dealer?

Not sure, actually never heard that …..if true another reason I prefer buying these type cars from the dealer. I like a throat to choke per say(:
Old 07-11-2023, 06:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

What are the estimates/guesses on the percentage of 570 GT which need costly repairs after the original warranty ends?
Old 07-11-2023, 06:34 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 354 Posts

Be patient, 570GT drop in price the most and they are not as desirable as 570S so I would walk a way and take your time and find one that is Mclaren certified and that gets you a free year of extended warranty and go from there. You may be excited about the GT but trust me the S will keep you excited longer and be easier to resell. Again do not buy Mclaren from a non dealer when your closest dealer is 1-2 hours away. The dealer will have no vested interest if you car breaks down and needs repair and will charge you top dollar. It could quickly turn into a morass.

my .02 cents.

this is not like buying a Porsche, you have to think defensively and be prepared for the worst. And I love my Mclaren and it had been super reliable still...
The following users liked this post:
Maverick787 (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 06:38 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by catdog2
Be patient, 570GT drop in price the most and they are not as desirable as 570S so I would walk a way and take your time and find one that is Mclaren certified and that gets you a free year of extended warranty and go from there. You may be excited about the GT but trust me the S will keep you excited longer and be easier to resell. Again do not buy Mclaren from a non dealer when your closest dealer is 1-2 hours away. The dealer will have no vested interest if you car breaks down and needs repair and will charge you top dollar. It could quickly turn into a morass.

my .02 cents.

this is not like buying a Porsche, you have to think defensively and be prepared for the worst. And I love my Mclaren and it had been super reliable still...

I think you’re spot on, and Manifold the goodness here you have many cars. The itch is strong, but I would only buy from a dealer ……I’ve had nothing but great service from my local dealer.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

my .02 cents.

Thanks for the input.

This dealer is co-owned by a friend of mine, and they service 10 McLarens and have close ties with a McLaren dealer. Their servicing costs are much lower than the McLaren dealer, and I expect they’ll take care of me.

This particular GT has the sport package, so same suspension and tune as the S.
Old 07-12-2023, 04:38 PM
omegaSMP300
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I enjoyed my 675lt ownership experience but my story goes as follows: the car was sold to me with an extended warranty from a mclaren dealership only to find find out from my local dealership during my annual service the car had been tuned which voided warranty. The dealership that sold me the car said they would honor the warranty (whew) but unfortunately they were not local so that would have been annoying. Now the car was fine and I didn’t need to make any claim(s) but was a bit surprised the tune had not been called out in the sale and of course the differing views on the warranty. I actually ended up selling the car back to the dealership that sold it to me as another car called my name.

I believe the above may not be unusual from dealership to dealership (and maybe from brand to brand) but would highly recommend an inspection from a mclaren dealership (the local one you wish to service the car at if possible). Good luck with your search and be sure to get what you want (no regrets) the right car will come along.
catdog2 (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 06:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

I will also share my near ownership experience with the 675LT.

Saw the car, went to the Mclaren dealership to test drive, test drove it, fell in love.

Went home to think about it, next week went back to the dealership to give it another go and the the doors would not open. No matter what we did, no dice. Even tried jumping the car. No dice.

Was a fantastic car. It was JB"s car, and came with a bunch of F1 swag, including an autographed race suit.

Guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Oh well.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I will also share my near ownership experience with the 675LT.

Saw the car, went to the Mclaren dealership to test drive, test drove it, fell in love.

Went home to think about it, next week went back to the dealership to give it another go and the the doors would not open. No matter what we did, no dice. Even tried jumping the car. No dice.

Was a fantastic car. It was JB"s car, and came with a bunch of F1 swag, including an autographed race suit.

Guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Oh well.
Try again? One car is not a pattern.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:37 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Try again? One car is not a pattern.
well it must have been A sign from the automotive gods....

@Manifold if you're going to get drunk at least drink the good stuff.... the 570 GT you are going to outgrow very quickly, based on your exquisite taste in cars, did you drive other models? 570S or 650S? I was in similar situation and someone steered me away from 570 GT and k am very grateful for that. The GT is very special in many ways but a a little bit mistreated by the market.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:12 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

well it must have been A sign from the automotive gods....

@Manifold if you're going to get drunk at least drink the good stuff.... the 570 GT you are going to outgrow very quickly, based on your exquisite taste in cars, did you drive other models? 570S or 650S? I was in similar situation and someone steered me away from 570 GT and k am very grateful for that. The GT is very special in many ways but a a little bit mistreated by the market.
About a decade ago, I drove a MP4-12C on track and like it - a lot. That got me thinking that maybe one day I'll get a McLaren.

Then a few years ago, I drove another McLaren on track (not sure which model, they all look the same!), but the car's computer was getting confused because the tire diameters were off, so the car was misbehaving, but I didn't hold that against McLaren.

The only McLaren I've driven on the road is this 570 GT with the sport pack, so I guess close to an S in feel? I would like to drive some other models to compare, but since I enjoyed the one I drove (handles well, playful, fast, sounds good, and looks good) and the reviews are quite good, is there something about this model which should make me not want to buy it?
Old 07-13-2023, 02:01 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

No not at all but it's like you drove a c2 base and you loved it but for a fraction more money you could get a c2 gts or gt3 level of excitement. The 650S in particular when you're on it gives you a feeling of OMG this is a super car and above 6.5k it's holy cow this is a roller coaster ride while the 570GT makes you feel what you said above, superb but not otherworldly... 650S have already depreciated and repair costs are same and the yearly extended warranty is marginally more expensive than for the 570 GT. Just skip to end off his video and when he floors it and the conclusion, that said it all. I went to my dealer looking to buy a beautiful 570S and after a random recommendation took a 650 S spyder for test drive and it was no contest, ended up with the latter. In 570S above 6krom you're like wow this is nice and smooth and pulling really nicely, in the 650S it's like crap I better hold on to my hat this is ridiculously fast...

also 650S has unequal length headers vs 570GT/S which makes it sound a little different, a little less smooth and more ferocious and delicious on its way to 8500 rpm redline...

Last edited by catdog2; 07-13-2023 at 02:15 AM.
thebishman (07-14-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 08:19 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

No not at all but it's like you drove a c2 base and you loved it but for a fraction more money you could get a c2 gts or gt3 level of excitement. The 650S in particular when you're on it gives you a feeling of OMG this is a super car and above 6.5k it's holy cow this is a roller coaster ride while the 570GT makes you feel what you said above, superb but not otherworldly... 650S have already depreciated and repair costs are same and the yearly extended warranty is marginally more expensive than for the 570 GT. Just skip to end off his video and when he floors it and the conclusion, that said it all. I went to my dealer looking to buy a beautiful 570S and after a random recommendation took a 650 S spyder for test drive and it was no contest, ended up with the latter. In 570S above 6krom you're like wow this is nice and smooth and pulling really nicely, in the 650S it's like crap I better hold on to my hat this is ridiculously fast...

https://youtu.be/gEf_RcaSvVs

also 650S has unequal length headers vs 570GT/S which makes it sound a little different, a little less smooth and more ferocious and delicious on its way to 8500 rpm redline...
Thanks for this info. I’m actually looking for a McLaren which isn’t overly intense (I have 3RS for that), and this review makes me think the 570 GT may be better fit for me?

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/sup...s-mclaren-650s

Here are pics of the car, wife and I love the aesthetics:

Old 07-13-2023, 09:05 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Color is amazing ………
Manifold (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 04:55 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Ok, car is beautiful, nice colors and go with your heart, if it feels like you gotta have it then you know what to do
Enjoy in good health, i don't know about everybody else's McLaren dealer but mine (McLaren Boston) are the very best car dealership I have ever dealt with.
From the sales where they are so helpful and respectful to everyone and not pushy to the service where they are just amazingly helpful, couldnt be happier...
It's a another level of experience, nicer also than the F-Car outift in town. Absolutely top-notch.
Manifold (07-13-2023)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success