McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 03:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,027 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Got it. Ok so your premise is that Mclarens are overpriced at MSRP? there too looking at parts content & performance if nothing else can sort of help figure that out. Ex: a 720s at $350k , (significantly less than the price of an aventador SVJ for example) which offers $1M hypercar matching performance and carbon chassis.. seems comparatively well priced to me actually no?
I think the better comparison would be the Huracan Performante (or maybe even the Evo) than the Aventador. And for either the Performante or Evo, both come in at about 40-50k less than the 720S in terms of MSRP.

And, yes, while the McLaren comes with that fantastic carbon tub and that trick suspension, there's something to be said about that NA V10, bespoke engine from Audi.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:22 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think the better comparison would be the Huracan Performante (or maybe even the Evo) than the Aventador. And for either the Performante or Evo, both come in at about 40-50k less than the 720S in terms of MSRP.

And, yes, while the McLaren comes with that fantastic carbon tub and that trick suspension, there's something to be said about that NA V10, bespoke engine from Audi.
Lambos are a bit piggy though, but they look and sound better than Mclarens
Old 06-03-2020, 05:13 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

Both looks and sound are subjective. That being said, I doubt you'd find many who wouldn't agree that the Lambo V10 sounds way better than the McLaren.

However, I like the way the 720S looks better than the Performante, even though I think they both look great.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:36 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by stanwine
Annual service cost vary by year averaging around $1,500, this is consistent with Ferrari and Lamborghini costs and the McLaren's are more complex and limited than either of those brands. Buying truly exotic sports cars has always been a pay to play proposition, so singling out McLaren seems unusual to me. I don’t mean to be disrespectful but If McLaren has upset you so much maybe you can focus on the many other threads on this forum and leave this one to the people who would like to enjoy the intent of this thread “McLaren Success”. Thank you
I was told by my local Mac dealer (50 minutes away) that it was a requirement to bring the car in for service EVERY year and the cost was $2000.00. Only with the annual service of $2000 could I continue my $4000 a year warranty. Was about to buy a 650 Spider. Then walked over the warranty pricing.

McLaren hasn't upset me. I was disappointed by what i viewed to be a money grab for a very pricey warranty and expensive mandatory annual service and if I brought my Mac to the track it had to be inspected again.

I'm sure Ferrari extended warranty costs are pricey. They are "Ferrari". No surprise there. Still over priced imho and they can charge it because they are "Ferrari". Lambo, not sure of what their warranty costs are but just because one manufacturer is bending over their customers that doesn't mean that's a business model to follow. Perhaps the better idea would be not to follow it.

Porsches have a reputation for reliability. I don't have to bring my RS to the dealer before and after for a track colonoscopy and the attendant bill. Porsche will sell extended warranties on CPO cars for 8 to 10 years at around $6000.00. Why? They have confidence in the reliability and durability of their vehicles and their warranty offerings signal that confidence. That makes me confident.

Mac has sophisticated suspension? Ok. So? How often does suspension need servicing? Porsches are very well engineered cars and technical.

There is no way an extended warranty on a reliable well engineered car used primarily for weekend use justifies $4000 a year in warranty expense in my mind and $2000 a year just for a looksie exam to qualify to continue paying them $4000 a year.

If Mac reduced the pricing on their warranties mho is they would signal more confidence in their product and they should stop with the new models every other month. Clearly something is responsible for their abysmal resale values and lets assume it has nothing to do with the cars themselves which appears that in later years many love their Macs. Ok. Fine.

Oh and yes, I am well aware of the title to the thread and its placement square in the GT3RS forum. Your interpretation as to who should be posting and what should be posted is your interpretation. Not mine. Apparently others have posted grips too and this threads placement where it is clearly invites non Mac owners to the fray.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Got it. Ok so your premise is that Mclarens are overpriced at MSRP? there too looking at parts content & performance if nothing else can sort of help figure that out. Ex: a 720s at $350k , (significantly less than the price of an aventador SVJ for example) which offers $1M hypercar matching performance and carbon chassis.. seems comparatively well priced to me actually no?

I think the Mclarens are overpriced at MSRP............if they continue to come out with a new model every other month and continue to announce more cars of a previous limited series....like the 675LT debacle.

If Ferrari produced more cars and more different models, then their resale prices would also drop significantly.

I think the Mclaren tech justifies the current MSRP, but only if they develop a consistent sales model of a certain number of cars and a certain type of car and stick to it, so buyers aren't constantly surprised by a new model that supersedes a brand new 400K car, within 3 months after they purchased it.

I think Mclaren makes great, high tech cars, and I'm glad they are pushing Porsche, lambo, and Ferrari. But since I'm not a billionaire, I wouldn't feel safe buying a Mclaren, in the same way that I would if I purchased a Ferrari, both in resale value, and in the cost of the warranty, which including the Mclaren service/inspection costs, is more than Ferrari!
Old 06-03-2020, 07:08 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorscak
I have not met one person who disliked their 600LT. Nothing but praise and awe. I must say though having put a good number of miles on my 675, when I test drove the 600 I wasn't floored by it. I actually wasn't impressed. This bothered me for quite a while as again everyone I've EVER spoken to raved about it. I've put a lot of thought into this and came up with a few reasons why this may have been....

1. It was a very limited/reserved drive with the salesman where I couldn't fully appreciate what the car had. (Very probable)

2. Was only able to floor it a couple of times to feel it's acceleration but never really got to experience its handling. The +\- 66hp and difference in torque between the two cars was noticeable to me right away. Maybe I ruined it for myself by owning a 675 and the "step down" was just that noticeable to me. (Good reason as well)

Maybe I'm getting old and just don't know what the hell Im talking about?? (Most likely reason).

You do need to need to get a bit giddy with it to really start loving the car. Also, you HAVE to have it in sport or track mode with ESC dyn sport on for it to be lively and rock...thats one thing I didn't need to change in my 650 or 675 s to have a blast with FYI, so possibly a part. The 675 is just so brutally fast too, its a little more720 speed vs buzzy revvy gt3 ish of the 600lt
Old 06-03-2020, 10:40 PM
stanwine
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I was told by my local Mac dealer (50 minutes away) that it was a requirement to bring the car in for service EVERY year and the cost was $2000.00. Only with the annual service of $2000 could I continue my $4000 a year warranty. Was about to buy a 650 Spider. Then walked over the warranty pricing.

McLaren hasn't upset me. I was disappointed by what i viewed to be a money grab for a very pricey warranty and expensive mandatory annual service and if I brought my Mac to the track it had to be inspected again.

I'm sure Ferrari extended warranty costs are pricey. They are "Ferrari". No surprise there. Still over priced imho and they can charge it because they are "Ferrari". Lambo, not sure of what their warranty costs are but just because one manufacturer is bending over their customers that doesn't mean that's a business model to follow. Perhaps the better idea would be not to follow it.

Porsches have a reputation for reliability. I don't have to bring my RS to the dealer before and after for a track colonoscopy and the attendant bill. Porsche will sell extended warranties on CPO cars for 8 to 10 years at around $6000.00. Why? They have confidence in the reliability and durability of their vehicles and their warranty offerings signal that confidence. That makes me confident.

Mac has sophisticated suspension? Ok. So? How often does suspension need servicing? Porsches are very well engineered cars and technical.

There is no way an extended warranty on a reliable well engineered car used primarily for weekend use justifies $4000 a year in warranty expense in my mind and $2000 a year just for a looksie exam to qualify to continue paying them $4000 a year.

If Mac reduced the pricing on their warranties mho is they would signal more confidence in their product and they should stop with the new models every other month. Clearly something is responsible for their abysmal resale values and lets assume it has nothing to do with the cars themselves which appears that in later years many love their Macs. Ok. Fine.

Oh and yes, I am well aware of the title to the thread and its placement square in the GT3RS forum. Your interpretation as to who should be posting and what should be posted is your interpretation. Not mine. Apparently others have posted grips too and this threads placement where it is clearly invites non Mac owners to the fray.
You have made your position clear.
One of the reasons historically there has been very little crossover between owners of Porsche and Ferrari’s (there’s more today) is the very issue you have. If your budget or sensibilities can not accept the costs involved with these manufacturers then they are not for you, we all “get it” that it’s more expensive than a Porsche. I’ve put over $50k in my 550 Maranello in 16 years and 10k miles, that would not happen in a Porsche. However the car I sold when I bought It was a 996 Turbo and for me it was night and day. There are parts on McLaren’s that the cost makes Ferrari seem cheap, that’s why I bought the extended warranty. You can’t really rationalize any 6 figure sports car purchase, it’s just that some are more extreme than others but there all irresponsible purchases if we’re honest.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,027 Likes on 5,240 Posts

One of the reasons historically there has been very little crossover between owners of Porsche and Ferrari’s (there’s more today) is the very issue you have. If your budget or sensibilities can not accept the costs involved with these manufacturers then they are not for you, we all “get it” that it’s more expensive than a Porsche.
Yeah, pretty much spot on.

Buying a Porsche is like buying a suit from Brooks Brothers.

Buying a McLaren or a Ferrari is like getting a Brioni.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:29 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

One of the reasons historically there has been very little crossover between owners of Porsche and Ferrari’s (there’s more today) is the very issue you have. If your budget or sensibilities can not accept the costs involved with these manufacturers then they are not for you, we all “get it” that it’s more expensive than a Porsche. I’ve put over $50k in my 550 Maranello in 16 years and 10k miles, that would not happen in a Porsche. However the car I sold when I bought It was a 996 Turbo and for me it was night and day. There are parts on McLaren’s that the cost makes Ferrari seem cheap, that’s why I bought the extended warranty. You can’t really rationalize any 6 figure sports car purchase, it’s just that some are more extreme than others but there all irresponsible purchases if we’re honest.
Fair enough. I’m a Brooks Bro’s guy for sure.

I think if it wasn’t the two headed hydra of abysmal resale and very expensive warranties and service I could stomach one... but both? No thanks. It was a deal breaker for me.

Would like to see one or both remedied.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:47 PM
nolocontendere
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Fair enough. I’m a Brooks Bro’s guy for sure.

I think if it wasn’t the two headed hydra of abysmal resale and very expensive warranties and service I could stomach one... but both? No thanks. It was a deal breaker for me.

Would like to see one or both remedied.
here’s the way I see it: if one wants to date a supermodel, you better be ready to shop at Neimans and couture boutiques. If you still want to shop at Kohl’s, that’s fine, but you ain’t gettin a no supermodel. You can still get a nice very pretty girl, and there is honor in that

oh and sure, after a good romp that supermodel may leave you stranded one night. But come on, we are talking about the opportunity to achieve bucket list life-altering experiences here

Old 06-03-2020, 11:56 PM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Reading this thread really makes me want a Mclaren lol
Old 06-04-2020, 12:00 AM
stanwine
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

The days of limited depreciation on any car is gone, even Ferrari that held the gold standard lost it after the public offering and subsequent removal of the age old limit on production. Look at the 488 and F12 depreciation, in some cases close to six figures in 2 years.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:01 AM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine is Adriana Lima (10 years ago)
Old 06-04-2020, 12:29 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nolocontendere
here’s the way I see it: if one wants to date a supermodel, you better be ready to shop at Neimans and couture boutiques. If you still want to shop at Kohl’s, that’s fine, but you ain’t gettin a no supermodel. You can still get a nice very pretty girl, and there is honor in that

oh and sure, after a good romp that supermodel may leave you stranded one night. But come on, we are talking about the opportunity to achieve bucket list life-altering experiences here
Hmmm. Just found her waiting for me by the RS at Kohls. Guess based on what you just said I’ll just have to close my eyes and pretend she’s a supermodel. Best the RS could do. Damn.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:44 AM
nolocontendere
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Hmmm. Just found her waiting for me by the RS at Kohls. Guess based on what you just said I’ll just have to close my eyes and pretend she’s a supermodel. Best the RS could do. Damn.

nice work! A girl like that deserves to ride shotgun in a 675LT spider. At least a test drive on a nice sunny day to see what she says. Enjoy it while you are all still young and beautiful

Quick Reply: McLaren Success