Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 01:13 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by stanwine
The days of limited depreciation on any car is gone, even Ferrari that held the gold standard lost it after the public offering and subsequent removal of the age old limit on production. Look at the 488 and F12 depreciation, in some cases close to six figures in 2 years.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, when I buy one of these cars I’ll ask myself the question,”can I take this car’s value going to zero at this price?” If I can’t answer yes to that, then I don’t buy. But if I can, I buy and don’t worry about the value as much anymore and am free to just enjoy the car and drive it.

I have to say, I am loving the 600LT more and more. I was out over the weekend and was passing a car on the highway that was driving under the speed limit on a remote 2-lane highway in the country. An M3 behind me also decided to pass the car I was passing. I think he wanted to see if he could hang with me...lol, I think we all know how that ended.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:19 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorscak
Mine is Adriana Lima (10 years ago)
Very well played just think what would have happened if you had a 720S instead of a 675lt
Old 06-04-2020, 01:24 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, when I buy one of these cars I’ll ask myself the question,”can I take this car’s value going to zero at this price?” If I can’t answer yes to that, then I don’t buy. But if I can, I buy and don’t worry about the value as much anymore and am free to just enjoy the car and drive it.

I have to say, I am loving the 600LT more and more. I was out over the weekend and was passing a car on the highway that was driving under the speed limit on a remote 2-lane highway in the country. An M3 behind me also decided to pass the car I was passing. I think he wanted to see if he could hang with me...lol, I think we all know how that ended.
You're right - I have always felt the same way - its always been pay to play and as part of that you have to accept risk.

Really like the look of your LT and the scoop is in the right place
Old 06-04-2020, 01:24 AM
stanwine
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Can you share your thoughts on experience driving the RS compared to the LT. I’ve been thinking about a GT3 manual or an RS but I would have to let my 430 go and I’m not sure I want to part with it, it’s such a fun car on the street.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:25 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Waxer
Hmmm. Just found her waiting for me by the RS at Kohls. Guess based on what you just said I’ll just have to close my eyes and pretend she’s a supermodel. Best the RS could do. Damn.

But then again everyone loves a Pilot just don't make the mistake of going for a trade in

As an aside its interesting to note the two most active threads in the GT3 RS forum cover either Mclarens or food and cycling...............must mean something.
The following 2 users liked this post by groundhog:
-eztrader- (06-04-2020), pdxjim (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 01:43 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Can you share your thoughts on experience driving the RS compared to the LT. I’ve been thinking about a GT3 manual or an RS but I would have to let my 430 go and I’m not sure I want to part with it, it’s such a fun car on the street.
I’ve only had the LT for a few weeks, so I need to get more time back and forth, but I love both cars.

The RS has unbelievable steering feel and handling to me. It is perfection. The LT is close, but I don’t think quite as good.

The LT brakes require more initial pressure than the PCCB’s on the RS. It can initially feel like the RS brakes are better, but I don’t think they are, it’s just a different feel. I will need to get the LT on track to really compare that though.

I like the simplicity of some of the RS’s controls better than the LT. In particular the lift button on the RS is just a button. In the LT it’s buried in a stupid menu. Supposedly there’s a shortcut to access, but I find that it doesn’t always work. Sometimes I feel like I need to lift quick and I just like the button so much better than having to try and navigate some software menu. I also prefer the analog gauges on the RS and a physical gear change lever vs buttons to go from D, N, and R. All of this is pretty minor quibbles to me though.

The RS definitely has a better sounding engine, except when the LT downshifts and it sounds like rifle shots going off and you see flames shooting out the exhaust in the rear view mirror. The LT’s exhaust is such a cool and unique feature. I really love it.

The LT is definitely a lot faster than the RS. Disclaimer, I have the full Dundon power package on my RS, and the Novitech exhaust and stage 2 tune on the LT. The LT is supposedly putting out 688HP, so no surprise it’s faster.

Looks wise, the LT is very exotic looking and gets a lot more attention. However, I wouldn’t say I think it looks better than the RS. The RS is beautiful with it’s classic Porsche styling. I really love the way both look, but you will get more attention in the LT for sure.

Over all I think they are good compliments to each other. I wouldn’t say I like one more than the other. They are both great cars.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:57 AM
groundhog
Race Car

^^^^ Porsche are very effective in their design layouts - not necessarily pretty but very effective. MY RS has a full Porsche cage and still I can reach every button/switch easily, even the seat raise and lowering switch. The design of the cage is also effecitve and efficient with its use of space e.g. the side bars follow/ protect the legs and are also bowed outward for maximum strength. Its this type of stuff Porsche excel at and is a absolute reflection of their racing heritage.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:59 AM
stanwine
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you. I does seem like they compliment each other nicely. I appreciate that the 675 still has the big center mounted analog tach, I’m not a fan of digital gauges.
The following 2 users liked this post by stanwine:
AllAboutThatP (06-04-2020), TB993tt (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 02:10 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,289 Likes on 679 Posts

The days of limited depreciation on any car is gone, even Ferrari that held the gold standard lost it after the public offering and subsequent removal of the age old limit on production. Look at the 488 and F12 depreciation, in some cases close to six figures in 2 years.
don’t follow the f12; but the 488 depreciation curve is clearly linked to going Turbo. The 458 is rightly acknowledged as peak NA mid-engine Ferrari, just as the 993 is peak air cooled Porsche.

Every single future Ferrari Turbo will depreciate more than the 458s. The new turbo models are not that special, and the next one the same plus a bit more boost.

This also part of mclaren’s problem. All their cars are powerful, but none have such unique character to keep forever.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:25 AM
nolocontendere
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is my comparison of the 675LT to the 19 RS

speed: 675 is WAY faster

braking: 675 stiffer pedal feel, nothing beats the coolness factor of the massive active air brake on the 675 at speed. Both brake extremely well

looks: both gorgeous, but I think the 675 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made

handling: Even though I don’t track these cars, if I did think I may be faster in the RS on a track (which may be more to fear of tearing up the expensive carbon splitter on the LT) but on the street the RS is bone jarringly stiff and on the street at speed this stiffness is not for the faint of heart. In many respects it can be unsettling as the car hops and skips over bumps. The LT on the street is smooth as butter but insanely agile and light at the same time

seating position/visibility: perfect in the LT. Very good in the RS

trans: both great. PDK May be slightly better

sound: believe it or not, I actually prefer the sound of the LT on the street The RS has that pure racecar sound, but on the street I prefer the more subtly visceral sound of the LT and its rifle shots when you shift. I generally only drive my LT with the top down so it gets a natural ambiance booster. Being able to drive a car like the LT with the top down makes it indescribably enjoyable. I can almost guarantee you your significant others will like the LT much better. Mine says it is her favorite car EVER. I agree.

lift: lever on the LT isn’t a problem, but the lift takes about 10 seconds on the LT vs 4 on the Porsche

seats: buckets are slightly better in the Porsche. I bet the McLarens are lighter though

dash: both have analog center tach

ingress/egress: easier on the Porsche, but the dihedral doors on the McLaren are cool

reliability: never had a problem with either car

Last edited by nolocontendere; 06-04-2020 at 11:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
neoprufrok (06-13-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 08:38 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Do you have the DSC sport controller on the RS? I put one on mine and it made a huge difference on the street. Stock, the car felt very agile, but jittery over bumps and would hop and skip, but with the DSC controller that is gone and it’s much better.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:44 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

I like the simplicity of some of the RS’s controls better than the LT. In particular the lift button on the RS is just a button. In the LT it’s buried in a stupid menu. Supposedly there’s a shortcut to access, but I find that it doesn’t always work. Sometimes I feel like I need to lift quick and I just like the button so much better than having to try and navigate some software menu.
You really don't have to go into the menus for the lift. Push the stalk up and the lift activates. The only time that won't work is if you have a message on the screen and if that's the case, just clear it with the button on the end of the stalk.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:54 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
You really don't have to go into the menus for the lift. Push the stalk up and the lift activates. The only time that won't work is if you have a message on the screen and if that's the case, just clear it with the button on the end of the stalk.
Thanks for the tip. A lot of this is just getting used to a new car an all the functions. It's quite different than the Porsche, so just takes some getting used to.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:37 AM
nolocontendere
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you have the DSC sport controller on the RS? I put one on mine and it made a huge difference on the street. Stock, the car felt very agile, but jittery over bumps and would hop and skip, but with the DSC controller that is gone and it’s much better.
is that a factory option? You have me intrigued but the dynamics of the car are such I'd be surprised there is software that can address it

Last edited by nolocontendere; 06-04-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:59 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
But then again everyone loves a Pilot just don't make the mistake of going for a trade in

As an aside its interesting to note the two most active threads in the GT3 RS forum cover either Mclarens or food and cycling...............must mean something.
Hmmm. Good observation! We know everyone (most) loves food and loves to talk about it and we know nothing stirs continuing debate more than controversial subjects. We know Mac doesn’t bake cookies.

Stuff that has a history of working day in and day out and proficient.. yeah..boring. What’s to talk about?

😎

Quick Reply: McLaren Success