Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 01:43 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Here’s the cost it’s the labor which was 807.00 for the below job, and several days for the part to come from the U.K. They gave me a cool loaner 720S, and said have fun.
A 720 loaner is sweet, that's a nice perk. Baby steps!
Old 05-06-2020, 01:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

I think we have been insulated by Porsche GT3 cars because of the brand and being bullet proof. A few things to consider times are changing, my 2015 GT3 sold 144k after 2 years MSRP 153k, 2016 GT3RS sold 215k MSRP 207k, 2019 RS my keeper sub MSRP after one year see the trend. Ferrari is having their own problems with depreciation, there’s too many cars to choose from and this will be the new normal. 488’s are in RS territory ...........my philosophy is always to enjoy what you buy, and super car buys are always bad/but fun feels good(:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ln-d2333_L8418
Holly smokes!!! - The 2018 Black on in GA for 213,000 looks like a great deal.

Boy- it may be time to scratch that itch. I did not realize how much these prices have crumbled.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:19 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
A 720 loaner is sweet, that's a nice perk. Baby steps!
actually didn’t care for it, but super crazy fast. The 675LT pretty raw all around and 2800lbs go-cart. 720S is a great daily easy to drive and get in and out just not my style.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:25 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Holly smokes!!! - The 2018 Black on in GA for 213,000 looks like a great deal.

Boy- it may be time to scratch that itch. I did not realize how much these prices have crumbled.
Yup with lots of time on the 7 year service program .........these deals will be across all brands inventory is pilling up. Look at how many new 992’s are sitting on lots with no home dealer builds. Cars were in route and then boom pandemic.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 02:38 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by J9277655
How a 675LT is trading hands for 200k is beyond me. It's like the best kept secret even with 675 owners ranting and raving how exceptional it is. I've had issues with mine, but dang if it isn't a wildly fun and engaged experience at all speeds.
Here's my take. . People can buy a GT3RS for $200K too and have minimal risk on "maintenance costs" and depreciation. So the cost of ownership is much higher for a 675LT than a GT3RS. I would argue that a 675LT is probably more exciting / exotic than a GT3RS but its more costly to own. Not everyone can afford the cost to buy one AND the ongoing cost to insure and run it. To take this analogy to an extreme - Its like buying a F355 Ferrari for $75K vs buying a 2020 Lexus for $75K. One is going to cost a whole bunch more to own. Affordability isnt just the purchase price. People can scrape themselves into a GT3 at $150K and feel "safe" that they can budget $X per month (not a lot) to keep it. Not true with a Mac.

I would jest and say budget $250K for a 675LT. I think its "worth" that. $220K to buy it and $30K to keep it going.

How much does it cost to own a Carrera GT - after you pay to buy it? You need to be able to buy it and budget for expensive maintenance. Most Carrera GT buyers know this. Are there even warranties for them? Certainly not $500 / month.

Having said all of that. I am coming full circle and after lusting for exotics - i am less so - I'm more attracted to Porsche's. Understated, less flashy, fun, reliable with a big org behind it that seems to take care of their customers. I think i'll end up back here for most of my automotive needs. With maybe an occasional dalliance elsewhere
The following 2 users liked this post by rodsky:
AlexCeres (05-06-2020), Drifting (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 02:39 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 209 Posts

actually didn’t care for it, but super crazy fast. The 675LT pretty raw all around and 2800lbs go-cart. 720S is a great daily easy to drive and get in and out just not my style.

Love that color and wheels . Sweet.
fijibubba (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 03:27 PM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Here's my take. . People can buy a GT3RS for $200K too and have minimal risk on "maintenance costs" and depreciation. So the cost of ownership is much higher for a 675LT than a GT3RS. I would argue that a 675LT is probably more exciting / exotic than a GT3RS but its more costly to own. Not everyone can afford the cost to buy one AND the ongoing cost to insure and run it. To take this analogy to an extreme - Its like buying a F355 Ferrari for $75K vs buying a 2020 Lexus for $75K. One is going to cost a whole bunch more to own. Affordability isnt just the purchase price. People can scrape themselves into a GT3 at $150K and feel "safe" that they can budget $X per month (not a lot) to keep it. Not true with a Mac.

I would jest and say budget $250K for a 675LT. I think its "worth" that. $220K to buy it and $30K to keep it going.

How much does it cost to own a Carrera GT - after you pay to buy it? You need to be able to buy it and budget for expensive maintenance. Most Carrera GT buyers know this. Are there even warranties for them? Certainly not $500 / month.

Having said all of that. I am coming full circle and after lusting for exotics - i am less so - I'm more attracted to Porsche's. Understated, less flashy, fun, reliable with a big org behind it that seems to take care of their customers. I think i'll end up back here for most of my automotive needs. With maybe an occasional dalliance elsewhere
You're not contemplating getting rid of the Performante are you?
Old 05-06-2020, 03:56 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

As far as reliability goes. My Huracan with almost 8K miles has been absolutely flawless. Unlike my RS which was in the shop twice for almost a month and had to eventually have the PDK replaced. I will also say Lamborghini service has been incredible - best I've ever had anywhere. It's a lot more than snacks, coffee and a loaner.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:03 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky

Great perspective and dead accurate. I have had three GT3's in the last 6 years (.1 GT3, .1 RS, currently own & love my .2 RS). Much lower operating costs past the point of purchase for anything porsche related. My old man has a 918 and even that seems relatively reasonable to what the car actually is. The cost of just owning the 675 after the sale is my single most frustrating part. That's why i make sure i'm driving it - because personally, that's where i find the value to level out again.

For transparency, i was lucky and found a 675LT Coupe w/ the roof scoop (i'm told only 27 / 500 have it) w/ 425 miles on it. I paid 300k two years ago. I feel i overpaid a bit considering where the market is now, but also feel that i got a prime example. I have about 4k miles on it today. The only time i regret any of it is the once a year when i pay for the extended warranty and yearly service at the same time.

The one other area of frustration from the cost perspective is Mclaren's stance on tracking the car. They're all for it and happily leverage the track nature of the "LT" variants in their sales process. BUT, you have to pay $500 for a pre-inspection and another $500 for a post-inspection for any track use for warranty items to still be covered. Porsche wins this battle hands down.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:07 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kart driver
Mclaren offers extended warranty up to 12 years for around €4000 euro per annum ($4400). At least this is what they offer in Germany.

I don't see any issues paying $4400 per annum for let’s say 3 years and enjoy the car.
I have similar views here. I know that extended warranty prices vary from dealer, but I've been quoted about what you've indicated.

I'm sure this had been brought up in the past, but if any of you purchase a McLaren, do not forget to talk to your dealer and arrange a bespoke tour of the McLaren Technology Center in Woking. I realize things are pretty much shut down now, but the visit and private tour of the MTC was one of the most memorable things from my last trip across the pond. This should be on the bucket list of any car enthusiast, especially the one's on this thread.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by dmac
I have similar views here. I know that extended warranty prices vary from dealer, but I've been quoted about what you've indicated.

I'm sure this had been brought up in the past, but if any of you purchase a McLaren, do not forget to talk to your dealer and arrange a bespoke tour of the McLaren Technology Center in Woking. I realize things are pretty much shut down now, but the visit and private tour of the MTC was one of the most memorable things from my last trip across the pond. This should be on the bucket list of any car enthusiast, especially the one's on this thread.
Ive done this. Its spectacular. Have also been to Stuttgart several times to the museum. Another must do item.
dmac (05-07-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 04:55 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

I actually agree with you, and my Porsche’s never break, and I’ve had my MAC serviced under warranty it’s the hourly rate for the techs limited skill have to pay them and no indi shops. I still say Porsche had 60 years yo get it right which is good for us, it I still argue 300k on a car 4600 on a warranty if you want it small change over you over paid for a car. All fun is not rational ..........hell how many 230K RS sit in the garage and that ok as long as you’re happy.
Mav: Its all a personal choice and subjective. To you its worth it. Form me that money pays for nearly an entire track season. I still love Macs and lust for a 600LT just wish warranty pricing and resale was different but would have to give up my FGT or the RS for the 600LT and just can't do that.

When I test drove the 650S I was about to buy it was stupid fast so can only imagine the 675 and 720.

I have the same Rt 66 sign in my garage by the way. LOL.
Maverick787 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 05:08 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by J9277655
Great perspective and dead accurate. I have had three GT3's in the last 6 years (.1 GT3, .1 RS, currently own & love my .2 RS). Much lower operating costs past the point of purchase for anything porsche related. My old man has a 918 and even that seems relatively reasonable to what the car actually is. The cost of just owning the 675 after the sale is my single most frustrating part. That's why i make sure i'm driving it - because personally, that's where i find the value to level out again.

For transparency, i was lucky and found a 675LT Coupe w/ the roof scoop (i'm told only 27 / 500 have it) w/ 425 miles on it. I paid 300k two years ago. I feel i overpaid a bit considering where the market is now, but also feel that i got a prime example. I have about 4k miles on it today. The only time i regret any of it is the once a year when i pay for the extended warranty and yearly service at the same time.

The one other area of frustration from the cost perspective is Mclaren's stance on tracking the car. They're all for it and happily leverage the track nature of the "LT" variants in their sales process. BUT, you have to pay $500 for a pre-inspection and another $500 for a post-inspection for any track use for warranty items to still be covered. Porsche wins this battle hands down.
Like I said I love Macs. Would rather have a Mac then a Ferrari all things equal. However, the above is just another turn off with Mac. It's not the car it's the company. Its an exotic and a kick a$$ car so you have to be dead not to lust for one.

However, the RS to me is just as exciting as the Mac 600LT or 675LT from an exotic standpoint. I mean just look at the damn thing especially with those hips, hood nostrils, fender vents and that wing. Then we get to the 9000 520hp naturally aspirated motorsport screaming banshee of an motivator. It is not your every day Porsche and even the "masses" know its special when they look at it. MHO. To me the Porsche gains added panache' from its past and current racing provenance, racing pedigree and reputation. A Porsche is a Porsche is a Porsche. I get enjoyment just going into the garage and looking at the thing. Just looking at it makes me smile every time and feel better when I'm frustrated about something at work etc....

Unfortunately I don't have the space or finances to own every car I lust for. Choices have to be made as painful as they can be.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:14 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Waxer
Ok post was a little harsh. There are only two Mac that I would make an exception for. P1 and 675 and I’m not flying at P1 altitude.

However, I believe that Ferrari charges $500 a month because they can. Its a money grab.

$5000 a year for a warranty on a Mac that’s $200k to $300k is over the top in my book especially when you have to spend $2000 a year for a maintenance check for the privilege of buying it. I think it’s either Mac doing a money grab or it’s a sign they don’t have much confidence in the reliability of their cars either. Maybe both. Spending and having to spend $7000 a year on service and warranty would take a lot of the air out of the enjoyment ballon for me and likely many others. That a lot just for the privilege.

These cars at this level are supposed to be reliable and useable while providing an exciting level of enjoyment. They are touted by their manufacturers as well built and engineered and reliable. That’s part of what your paying for when you buy it.

So a car that likely won’t see 5000 miles a year in most cases goes to chit in 4 years and needs a $7000 a year diaper so it doesn’t take a dump on you in repairs? You can self insure at that number. Can I afford that expense? Sure, but that doesn’t mean I should pay it or think it sensible or fair.y
Coming from Porsche where by and large reliability is great and extended warranties are much more reasonable (to me a sign of manufacturers confidence in their product) Mac warranty cost are tough to swallow not to mention bending you over for $2000 every year to do “maintenance” which is required. I don’t spend nor am I compelled to spend $2000 a year on my RS.

The above I suspect has just a “little” to do with their terrible resale. You think Mac doesn’t understand this? They likely do and clearly don’t care.

Show confidence in your used vehicles and I’m willing to bet resale values improve but that’s just silly ol’me.

Yes we could all be dead in 3 years but if not who would you rather bet on being around in the long run if we survive ..Mac or Porsche?
Porsche for sure man. Honestly, I don’t plan on selling the 675LT nor the RS I like them both that much. If I add it just will be another fun car, but I try to keep what I can drive the barn is full at 4 the other 2 being SUV’s. My wife actually has the fun car the AMG GLC 63 coup ......makes you smile the sound is insane with sports exhaust.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:16 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Waxer
Like I said I love Macs. Would rather have a Mac then a Ferrari all things equal. However, the above is just another turn off with Mac. It's not the car it's the company. Its an exotic and a kick a$$ car so you have to be dead not to lust for one.

However, the RS to me is just as exciting as the Mac 600LT or 675LT from an exotic standpoint. I mean just look at the damn thing especially with those hips, hood nostrils, fender vents and that wing. Then we get to the 9000 520hp naturally aspirated motorsport screaming banshee of an motivator. It is not your every day Porsche and even the "masses" know its special when they look at it. MHO. To me the Porsche gains added panache' from its past and current racing provenance, racing pedigree and reputation. A Porsche is a Porsche is a Porsche. I get enjoyment just going into the garage and looking at the thing. Just looking at it makes me smile every time and feel better when I'm frustrated about something at work etc....

Unfortunately I don't have the space or finances to own every car I lust for. Choices have to be made as painful as they can be.
Wax they’re the perfect pair .............(:

007DT (05-07-2020)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success