Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 10:40 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Bear in mind that you tend to only read about problems on the web forums. My 570S has been rock solid mechanically, probably the most reliable car I have owned, and it was early production, now 3.5 yrs old, 13k miles. I have several friends with McLarens who have had similar experiences, and in fact no one I know in my McLaren circle has had the kind of horrible ownership that would lead them to another brand. My next car will certainly be a McLaren, and I've owned a bit of everything, including about a dozen Porsches and several Ferraris.
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (11-05-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 10:56 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
Bear in mind that you tend to only read about problems on the web forums. My 570S has been rock solid mechanically, probably the most reliable car I have owned, and it was early production, now 3.5 yrs old, 13k miles. I have several friends with McLarens who have had similar experiences, and in fact no one I know in my McLaren circle has had the kind of horrible ownership that would lead them to another brand. My next car will certainly be a McLaren, and I've owned a bit of everything, including about a dozen Porsches and several Ferraris.
I’m happy to hear that your Mclaren has been trouble free, unfortunately my friend had a different experience. His water pump started to leak, car wouldn’t recognize his key, radio wouldn’t work ( he would shut off the engine and restart it and it would work again) wipers quit working, occasionally the doors wouldn’t unlock, Bluetooth would drop calls occasionally, and complete suspension failure. He was very frustrated with the car.
Quote from Chris Harris : “Mclaren I love this car .... but you need to start building them properly.”
The following 2 users liked this post by fskof:
docjohnM (11-05-2019), Napoli (11-04-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 03:55 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
I’m happy to hear that your Mclaren has been trouble free, unfortunately my friend had a different experience. His water pump started to leak, car wouldn’t recognize his key, radio wouldn’t work ( he would shut off the engine and restart it and it would work again) wipers quit working, occasionally the doors wouldn’t unlock, Bluetooth would drop calls occasionally, and complete suspension failure. He was very frustrated with the car.
Quote from Chris Harris : “Mclaren I love this car .... but you need to start building them properly.”
My 675 has had a failed A/C, gps for data track telemetry, and a check engine all in 3 track days this year.

And having said all that it was above and beyond the greatest track experience I have EVER had including half a dozen Porsche's i owned including 991 GT2rs and manual 991.2 gt3.

The mclaren is at a different driving experience to all road Porsche's - drive it and don't rely on others for their experience.

But....I've also likely lost $100k with the 675 in depreciation this year alone. But again it's not an investment and the car if anything is more special as I drive more newer build stuff.

Next move from a McLaren LT is a race car - and I'm almost there so....
Old 11-03-2019, 05:14 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
My 675 has had a failed A/C, gps for data track telemetry, and a check engine all in 3 track days this year.

And having said all that it was above and beyond the greatest track experience I have EVER had including half a dozen Porsche's i owned including 991 GT2rs and manual 991.2 gt3.

The mclaren is at a different driving experience to all road Porsche's - drive it and don't rely on others for their experience.

But....I've also likely lost $100k with the 675 in depreciation this year alone. But again it's not an investment and the car if anything is more special as I drive more newer build stuff.

Just sold my 570S and in the middle of looking fore a replacement between a 675LT, 600LT or 720S. Could you please elaborate more on your track experiences between the 3 and 2RS vs. the 675?
Old 11-03-2019, 09:00 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
^^^^^ Exactly this...had my 570s for 9 months, three of those nine months my car was at the dealer for various issues, great cars when they are running properly, but they certainly can be a pain in the ****. No matter what NEVER OWN A MACCA CAR WITHOUT A WARRANTY.
The following 2 users liked this post by P-Car777:
docjohnM (11-05-2019), Napoli (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 09:42 AM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba

I second this opinion on the 675. There are definitely some quirks with the car but the driving experience is second to none. I've said this before on this forum and as a Porsche enthusiast, but the 675 is a different level than any other street car I've driven. It is simply unbelievable.

kkabba, the experience in a true race car is another experience by itself. Go for it and enjoy!
The following 2 users liked this post by jgorscak:
17bhub (12-03-2019), Soul Performance (11-05-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:09 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car777
^^^^^ Exactly this...had my 570s for 9 months, three of those nine months my car was at the dealer for various issues, great cars when they are running properly, but they certainly can be a pain in the ****. No matter what NEVER OWN A MACCA CAR WITHOUT A WARRANTY.
Over the years I'm beginning to go buy the mantra...."never own an exotic without a warranty"....Ferrari, Lambo, Mac, AM, etc....I think the new age of profits/ units/ margins has decreased the build process within all these companies....depreciation is at an all time high....best to get a 1-2 year old car and pay for a warranty extension in my book.....
pdxjim (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Over the years I'm beginning to go buy the mantra...."never own an exotic without a warranty"....Ferrari, Lambo, Mac, AM, etc....I think the new age of profits/ units/ margins has decreased the build process within all these companies....depreciation is at an all time high....best to get a 1-2 year old car and pay for a warranty extension in my book.....
spot on and the cost of warranty is a better deal than high deprecation. A two year warranty and year one apart of the deal was a no brainer for me, and if the car is solid post 3 years all good.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Just bought 3 years additional warranty for my 4 year old RS (so far a coolant line broke and the rear bumper is a bit weavy and a bit melted, don’t know why, the car didn’t overheat when coolant pipe broke) and 4 year old Macan S (Already has the Audi engine out of the car for a complete reseal after chain cover leaked).

Boring DD / Non Euro Delivery cars I buy 3 years old at 50% of MSRP with 4 years CPO warranty remaining.
Dump when they are 7 years old.
thebishman (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 12:36 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
spot on and the cost of warranty is a better deal than high deprecation. A two year warranty and year one apart of the deal was a no brainer for me, and if the car is solid post 3 years all good.
And even better is the cost of these warranties have really come down over the years....for my V12 it's $5760 a year....The V8 is $4500 and the Mac warranty price is also reasonable....no longer do you have to ask if "Is it worth $10K?"....these cars are just insanely expensive to fix, even at an independent, if something goes wrong....
Old 11-04-2019, 12:36 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 63 Posts

I am thinking of trading my GT3 for a 650S as the price of 2015-2016 650S is almost 'too good' for how capable that car is; so I went to the local Mclaren dealership this weekend. Some thoughts:
- I tested a 2015 model but the engine light is on so the car would not accelerate properly - like the turbo is not working and the car would not rev above 4k rpm. - talking about reliability. ugh.
- I have a hard time understanding why they would use this car to give me an 'impression' of their 650S....It feels slower than a BMW 340i.
- Still, I'm shocked by how smooth the car is. Very comfortable chassis and fluent gear shift.
- It feels nowhere as 'mechanical' as a GT3. Very isolated driving atmosphere, very GT-like. It did not excite me at low speed; and I cannot accelerate hard coz the engine is not working
- The 650S I was looking for has every carbon option MSRP was about 450K CAD and now asking for 240K CAD, and it is a 2016 model.
- McLaren here sells extra warranty for around $7K per year and will cover up to 10 years from the original service date. After that you are on your own.

Overall, it should be a perfect all-in-1 package super car. The most comfortable sports car I have ever driven and should be very fast (I guess? lol).
Warranty and depreciation still turns me off though, looking at 12-C now selling for around 150-180K CAD, the owning cost is something to be considered.
Pretty sure I will stick with my GT3 for now....
Old 11-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Does anyone know if, and what, a 2 year extended warranty on a 2018 .2 GT3 would be?? Have slightly under 6000 miles. Can you get a warranty??

Thanks
Old 11-05-2019, 04:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Old 11-05-2019, 04:33 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It's not just the cost of the McLaren warranty. I could live with an expensive extended warranty.

It's actually having to use the damn warranty that really scares me.

Most repairs -- from the minor electrical gremlins to the major mechanical issues -- can take weeks, if not months. That's time away from the ability to use and enjoy the car, even if the repair is on McLaren's dime, the time the car is sidelined is on my time. **** that.

While a Porsche is not bullet proof, a repair generally will not take as long as a comparable service order for a McLaren. Maybe the parts factory McLaren opened in Pennsylvania (and a planned west coast facility) will change that, but I'm not going to be the guinea pig to find out.

I say this after being t-h-i-s close to getting a 675LT Spider.

YMMV of course.
A lot of truth here...I was in the same boat as you.

I could have forgiven all of the headaches, if not for the fact that every repair was 2-3 weeks long. With an average of one serious fault per month.....do the math. The car can be gone for 80% of the ownership. My last car that had an issue ( a 2015 R8) was fixed before my coffee got cold in the dealership waiting room!

I am still conspiring to get a 600LT tho..I have to confess.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:52 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Now you make me want a 600 LT. Damn you!

Quick Reply: McLaren Success