Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 12:52 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Others who choose to buy exotics not living within a reasonable proximity to a dealer make that choice. I would not. I live 100 miles away from Vegas where I take my Lambo and Porsche. For me that's feasible, 420 miles to a McLaren dealer is not to me.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:12 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

My current MAC dealer is 50miles from my house. They pick it up and drop it off in an enclosed trailer. My previous dealer was over 500miles away and they did the same. I don’t get charged for the transport cost.

I have had Mclaren send a tech to my house early on when My friend left the engine key in the engine compartment. No cost.....

When you have a roadside issue they contact the dealers in that vicinity doesn’t matter if they are over 100 miles away and have them get it. Not 3rd party yocals who Porsche use.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:18 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalPink
Others who choose to buy exotics not living within a reasonable proximity to a dealer make that choice. I would not. I live 100 miles away from Vegas where I take my Lambo and Porsche. For me that's feasible, 420 miles to a McLaren dealer is not to me.
If that is the ONLY reason then you are missing out as tens of thousands of people who own exotics do not live in a dirveable distance to their servicing dealer or they choose to not drive it in anyways.

Conversations in person of why a person buys or doesn't buy a certain/particular car are much, much different in person then they are in car forums.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:19 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

The upkeep and costs on this level of car is all relative to one’s comfort level.

I thought the extension was expensive. Then that same day I got the invoice for the custom smoker I am having built for my garage so I don’t have to walk over to the main house to get my ribs and briskets on f1 and football weekends, lol.
The following users liked this post:
nolocontendere (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 02:13 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
If that is the ONLY reason then you are missing out as tens of thousands of people who own exotics do not live in a dirveable distance to their servicing dealer or they choose to not drive it in anyways.

Conversations in person of why a person buys or doesn't buy a certain/particular car are much, much different in person then they are in car forums.
You might be misunderstanding me. I agree with you. I was talking in the context of what I would do and my opinion if I lived out of the area.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:54 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Friend just drove a 675LT. Said it was awesome. Problem again is cost of ownership. $10k for two years is crazy for warranty and another $4k for required service in same period. In 4 years that’s $28k just to own it.

I almost bought a 650S Spyder bit this ^ stopped me not the wife ironically.

Learned Hand analysis doesn’t apply since there is no way of weighing likelihood of harm. That’s the problem. We already know the harm is Uber expensive.

Mac is either raking money from its owners or they have no confidence in the reliability and durability of their cars. Which is it?
The Hand test is a proxy for determining whether someone met the standard of care of a reasonably prudent person, or similar verbiage. If the cost to take precautions to avoid a bad outcome is less than the likelihood of the bad outcome times the severity of the outcome, you should pay the cost to take precautions. That's a 25 year old memory, so forgive me if I didn't word it perfectly.

You can never know the exact probability of an occurrence where there is a complex system with many moving parts. You can predict the likelihood of tails in a coin flip, but that's a simple system with a couple of variables. I love Macs. I think they are beautiful and the performance is other worldly. And you don't look like a ****** when you're in one, unlike some other marques. But I can estimate the probability of a breakdown at varying levels based on the hundred or so stories I've read or youtube videos I've watched. Personally, I'd estimate the likelihood of a major breakdown in any given year at something like 10%. If there is a 10% chance of a $50k repair event, I'd get the insurance, assuming it costs on the order of $4k to $5k a year. I'd estimate the probability of a mid level issue at something more like 20 to 25%. I'd estimate the probability of something minor but an issue that requires repair at something like 40 to 45 percent, again based purely on my subjective interpretation of what I've seen and read. That doesn't mean I'm right, no more than I can exactly predict the likelihood that the SP 500 will be up or down tomorrow, as it's a complex system of 500 stocks affected by all sorts of sentiment, news, and fundamental issues. But if you integrate those estimated probabilities times the potential costs, it strongly suggests that you get the insurance in the form of a warranty and why it's worth $4k to $5k a year. That's the main point.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:32 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Everyone has their comfort zone and risk tolerance. Bottom line is the dealers make money on the warranty. If they were losing $ they would adjust the warranty price to be hIgher.
Napoli (11-04-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 08:54 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Everyone has their comfort zone and risk tolerance. Bottom line is the dealers make money on the warranty. If they were losing $ they would adjust the warranty price to be hIgher.
Not necessarily. McLaren receives the warranty premiums and pays for the warranty repairs. It is conceivable that McLaren could be subsidizing (losing money) on the warranties in order to make their used cars more attractive (more valuable). Less depreciation makes their new cars more attractive/valuable and strengthens the brand long-term.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Not necessarily. McLaren receives the warranty premiums and pays for the warranty repairs. It is conceivable that McLaren could be subsidizing (losing money) on the warranties in order to make their used cars more attractive (more valuable). Less depreciation makes their new cars more attractive/valuable and strengthens the brand long-term.
Yes, good point and I agree.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:17 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 105 Posts

This past weekend I took my 675LT on the "Driving While Awesome" Sierra Rally. A 3-day event that started in Tuolumne, CA and finished many miles & smiles later in Porterville, CA.

Halfway through the first day the Mac was a total champ. We stopped at the Cherry Lake dam for a few pictures. Attaching some of my favorites from the spot as it was stunning.

After lunch we continued on some amazing roads until hitting "Hennesy Lake" where we a group of about 15 cars decided to pull over to let things cool down and snag a few more pictures. It was a hot day and the cars and drivers were certainly getting a bit fried!

After 30 minutes of hanging out, drivers hopped into their cars to get rolling again on the last part of the 1st days journey.

As luck would have it, the Mac refused to start! Instead, after cranking for what seemed like eternity I was presented with an "Engine System Fault" and an immobile supercar. We tried pulling the battery and resetting to get rolling again but nothing was effective. It seemed the engine was turning over but there was no ignition (or no fuel?!).

Instead, slowly but surely my friends departed to the dinner reservation and I was left waiting 5 hours at sunset for the local tow truck to grab my sticken car.

Fortunately a friend in San Francisco offered to pickup my 3RS and drive through the night so that we could continue for the next two days of the rally.

My parting thoughts were that the Mclaren was INCREDIBLE to drive on those roads and i've never experienced anything like it. The Porsche wasnt as rewarding an experience to drive, but damn if that car isn't bulletproof. Hoping the 675's issues are resolved quickly.

Word of advice - extended warranty on your used mclaren is probably a good thing.

TopspeedPT (10-02-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 07:31 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by J9277655
This past weekend I took my 675LT on the "Driving While Awesome" Sierra Rally. A 3-day event that started in Tuolumne, CA and finished many miles & smiles later in Porterville, CA.

Halfway through the first day the Mac was a total champ. We stopped at the Cherry Lake dam for a few pictures. Attaching some of my favorites from the spot as it was stunning.

After lunch we continued on some amazing roads until hitting "Hennesy Lake" where we a group of about 15 cars decided to pull over to let things cool down and snag a few more pictures. It was a hot day and the cars and drivers were certainly getting a bit fried!

After 30 minutes of hanging out, drivers hopped into their cars to get rolling again on the last part of the 1st days journey.

As luck would have it, the Mac refused to start! Instead, after cranking for what seemed like eternity I was presented with an "Engine System Fault" and an immobile supercar. We tried pulling the battery and resetting to get rolling again but nothing was effective. It seemed the engine was turning over but there was no ignition (or no fuel?!).

Instead, slowly but surely my friends departed to the dinner reservation and I was left waiting 5 hours at sunset for the local tow truck to grab my sticken car.

Fortunately a friend in San Francisco offered to pickup my 3RS and drive through the night so that we could continue for the next two days of the rally.

My parting thoughts were that the Mclaren was INCREDIBLE to drive on those roads and i've never experienced anything like it. The Porsche wasnt as rewarding an experience to drive, but damn if that car isn't bulletproof. Hoping the 675's issues are resolved quickly.

Word of advice - extended warranty on your used mclaren is probably a good thing.

That sucks it stranded you. My McLaren did the same with only 91 miles on the odo.

It’s part of the reason on why I sold it.
The following 2 users liked this post by obbob:
Mattyrae (09-30-2019), Napoli (11-04-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 10:26 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry for your trouble Jono but sounds like a fun rally
Old 09-30-2019, 11:33 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Last time I couldn’t start my 720S I got out, locked it, waited a bit, went back in, and it started right up. It just needed to reboot.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:58 AM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

J927etc. Can you let us know what the issue was once it's diagnosed?
Old 10-01-2019, 03:49 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffDweller
J927etc. Can you let us know what the issue was once it's diagnosed?

Yes, of course! Hope to hear back today.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success