Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 12:38 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

I heard a rumor that Mclaren has a warehouse full of new unsold McLaren’s. Anyone have any details on this warehouse?
I think Mclaren should slow down producing new models and start focusing on quality and reliability. What is McLaren’s long term goal?

I have said this before and I will say this again but the market is flooded with great cars. More supply than demand. Prices will only continue to drop. 2020 and 2021 will be tough years for automotive manufacturers.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:50 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here’s a good promo to help imagine yourself in a 600LT spider.

https://cars.mclaren.com/en/latest/p...1080001-EN-TMW
Old 11-02-2019, 02:30 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 591 Posts

I think there is a big bubble in the car industry . Most if not all manufactures are building too many cars trying to capture every penny they can before the party is over
Companies look at short term gains that affect their stock values , rather than long term slow growth
we as consumers have to be careful when buying any car , but it also will be a great opportunity to grab great cars for discounted prices
no one can predict the future precisely but certainly the way it is looking now that the curve of price decline will continue to steepen on all cars some more than others
The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 03:05 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by J9277655
This past weekend I took my 675LT on the "Driving While Awesome" Sierra Rally. A 3-day event that started in Tuolumne, CA and finished many miles & smiles later in Porterville, CA.

Halfway through the first day the Mac was a total champ. We stopped at the Cherry Lake dam for a few pictures. Attaching some of my favorites from the spot as it was stunning.

After lunch we continued on some amazing roads until hitting "Hennesy Lake" where we a group of about 15 cars decided to pull over to let things cool down and snag a few more pictures. It was a hot day and the cars and drivers were certainly getting a bit fried!

After 30 minutes of hanging out, drivers hopped into their cars to get rolling again on the last part of the 1st days journey.

As luck would have it, the Mac refused to start! Instead, after cranking for what seemed like eternity I was presented with an "Engine System Fault" and an immobile supercar. We tried pulling the battery and resetting to get rolling again but nothing was effective. It seemed the engine was turning over but there was no ignition (or no fuel?!).

Instead, slowly but surely my friends departed to the dinner reservation and I was left waiting 5 hours at sunset for the local tow truck to grab my sticken car.

Fortunately a friend in San Francisco offered to pickup my 3RS and drive through the night so that we could continue for the next two days of the rally.

My parting thoughts were that the Mclaren was INCREDIBLE to drive on those roads and i've never experienced anything like it. The Porsche wasnt as rewarding an experience to drive, but damn if that car isn't bulletproof. Hoping the 675's issues are resolved quickly.

Word of advice - extended warranty on your used mclaren is probably a good thing.

This story is so disappointing to me. I like McLaren but stories like this keep popping up and erode my confidence in owning one or what confidence I was trying to develop. I really really like the 600 LT but I can just not get myself to give up my RS for one especially in light of stories like this together with the frightening depreciation issue and very high cost of their extended warranties.

To me the answer seems so simple. I believe the meteoric drop in Mac resale values have a lot to do with their warranty programs and the cost of continuing extended warrantees on these cars which is absolutely ridiculous. On average to continue an extended warranty requires $7000 a year in expenditures.

If McLaren charged $2500 for two years of extended warranty for example with the ability to carry it out for 10 years or even 15 years if purchase from a dealer as a certified preowned vehicle it would send a signal that McLaren has faith and confidence in the quality and reliability of their cars. As it stands now the above stories together with the huge expense in maintaining a warranty does nothing other than send a signal that even McLaren has no confidence in the reliability of their cars long-term.

With the games that Porsche dealers and Ferrari dealers play McLaren would sell a lot more cars if they started taking steps to instill confidence in the consumer in the product Instead of just focusing on pumping out more models.
The following 2 users liked this post by Waxer:
Napoli (11-04-2019), pdxjim (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 04:09 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Wax the warranty is cheaper than Ferrari you know right. They do need to get their crap together that’s why I wouldn’t buy new. But making cars for 7 years not surprised.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:48 PM
zim32
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Wax the warranty is cheaper than Ferrari you know right. They do need to get their crap together that’s why I wouldn’t buy new. But making cars for 7 years not surprised.
2yr extended warranty on my 675LT was $9450
Old 11-02-2019, 04:57 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by zim32
good price ..........my first year was free and I will shop next year for a 2 year.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:33 PM
zim32
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

McLaren Rancho Mirage..
Old 11-02-2019, 05:47 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by zim32
Thats my point. For a lot of guys that’s mucho dinero. Drop the warranty price and send a message of confidence in the product.
docjohnM (11-05-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I love the 600LT. Very frustrating. Porsche CPO warranty’s are much less. If Mac competed with Porsche in warranty cost it just might be enough for me to pull the trigger especially if my dealer try’s to adm me with the 992 RS
Old 11-02-2019, 06:47 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

when you think about it, why is 10k for 2 years so expensive? when you factor in the materials that these cars consist of and what they are capable of its a no brainier. factor in the MSRP of the cars new, amount of technology in the cars ( active aero parts etc ) , why on earth is 10K so expensive? the cars of today are exponentially faster and capable than they were years ago.

Now the depreciation rate is something to be discussed for sure.

Am i missing something?
Maverick787 (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 07:45 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Waxer
I love the 600LT. Very frustrating. Porsche CPO warranty’s are much less. If Mac competed with Porsche in warranty cost it just might be enough for me to pull the trigger especially if my dealer try’s to adm me with the 992 RS
agree, but Mac is priced with Ferrari as the repairs are typically mind boggling. GT cars are still basically 911’s ....not saying good but is what it is. The warranty is like insurance risk management.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:00 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
This story is so disappointing to me. I like McLaren but stories like this keep popping up and erode my confidence in owning one or what confidence I was trying to develop. I really really like the 600 LT but I can just not get myself to give up my RS for one especially in light of stories like this together with the frightening depreciation issue and very high cost of their extended warranties.

To me the answer seems so simple. I believe the meteoric drop in Mac resale values have a lot to do with their warranty programs and the cost of continuing extended warrantees on these cars which is absolutely ridiculous. On average to continue an extended warranty requires $7000 a year in expenditures.

If McLaren charged $2500 for two years of extended warranty for example with the ability to carry it out for 10 years or even 15 years if purchase from a dealer as a certified preowned vehicle it would send a signal that McLaren has faith and confidence in the quality and reliability of their cars. As it stands now the above stories together with the huge expense in maintaining a warranty does nothing other than send a signal that even McLaren has no confidence in the reliability of their cars long-term.

With the games that Porsche dealers and Ferrari dealers play McLaren would sell a lot more cars if they started taking steps to instill confidence in the consumer in the product Instead of just focusing on pumping out more models.
McLaren would go broke if they offered a warranty for that little.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:26 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

^i looked at the financial a few months ago when they released 2018 figures, and for what I remember they were far from broke. Perhaps out of warranty car owners are not doing that well, but they are doing just fine. Perhaps not much incentive to lower warranty prices, but the signal of such action would, I think, attract new customers to the brand. They are still carrying the MP4-12C stigma, it seems...
Old 11-02-2019, 09:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

It's not just the cost of the McLaren warranty. I could live with an expensive extended warranty.

It's actually having to use the damn warranty that really scares me.

Most repairs -- from the minor electrical gremlins to the major mechanical issues -- can take weeks, if not months. That's time away from the ability to use and enjoy the car, even if the repair is on McLaren's dime, the time the car is sidelined is on my time. **** that.

While a Porsche is not bullet proof, a repair generally will not take as long as a comparable service order for a McLaren. Maybe the parts factory McLaren opened in Pennsylvania (and a planned west coast facility) will change that, but I'm not going to be the guinea pig to find out.

I say this after being t-h-i-s close to getting a 675LT Spider.

YMMV of course.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Napoli (11-04-2019), sp330 (11-03-2019)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success