Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 12:39 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

If we're going to bring valuations into the picture though; how much of the historic GT3/RS valuation has been due to limited production that seems to have gone off the rails with the 991? If that continues I don't think the trend continues with GT valuations.

I'm guessing new RS models have more depreciation than previous ones built in much smaller numbers and McLaren values start to hold firm. McLaren reminds me a bit of Porsche in the 90's where they stuck to making good sports cars. Once every yuppie wants a McLaren SUV a decade from now their sports car values could skyrocket.

I think 20 years from now the 675 LT proves to be significantly more valuable than the equivalent 991 GT3 RS produced in like 10x the numbers (too lazy to look up exact ones right now).

That being said, they're both truly great cars.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:52 PM
gtrguyinaz
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche said they were going to end the FLIPPERS GAME.......................AND THEY HAVE...............There are 140.... 2019 GT3rs for sale and prices are not holding........
My next toy will be a 675LT......... and I love the price being less than 190,000.00.................this game was nuts and glad it is over..........
Old 08-25-2019, 12:55 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrguyinaz
Porsche said they were going to end the FLIPPERS GAME.......................AND THEY HAVE...............There are 140.... 2019 GT3rs for sale and prices are not holding........
My next toy will be a 675LT......... and I love the price being less than 190,000.00.................this game was nuts and glad it is over..........

Very very market dependant and you need to separate the Series I from the Series II (also they are there to be driven).
Old 08-25-2019, 12:56 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
“big step up” must be subjective as to you since objective track performance data certainly doesn’t support that statement at all.
Originally Posted by Jon70
Although the McLaren 675LT is one of my favorite cars and I think the value is amazing on the used ones for sale now, I just fear the cost of ownership. All the GT3/GT3RS cars I have owned (5 total) have been 100% reliable excluding a RMS leak on my 997.1 RS fixed under warranty. When I go to sell them I get nearly back MSRP and service costs are extremely reasonable as I take it to a Porsche performance shop and not the dealer. Overall the last three GT cars I’ve had are the cheapest cars I’ve ever owned (taxes aside as I live in Virginia) and that includes my literally every car I’ve had.
coming out of 3 991s back to back to back into a Ferrari 488 (which is not a Mac), I just wanted to chime in that I have felt a big step up and maybe the Mac guys can relate

Not in numbers, or anything quantifiable, but you feel the exoticness, something special, like you are in a spaceship, etc.... part of the allure of the Porsche GT stuff is how approachable and focused they are. Only thing you need to recalibrate is driving performance and feel. The interiors are nearly the same across the board for the 991 save for bits of CF/alcantara, and buckets. Even outside looks retain the same basic elements of the iconic and classic 911. The GT cars are reliable, for tracking I wouldn't take anything else, and cheap to run. But IMHO, now that I've tasted the forbidden fruit, you don't get that special feeling even just driving to your local supermarket / on the street, or even just sitting in the car in your garage soaking in everything. Then when you start the car and drive off, it still feels incredibly cool and I look @ speedo and I'm only going 25 mph in traffic. I guess you have to pay more, both upfront and over time, for that feeling as there is no free lunch either way

The GT stuff, to me, comes alive in the canyons or track when you are really pushing the car, hearing the sound, feeling the mechanical grip, palms sweaty, etc! Nothing will beat it. But simply driving around town, just felt like a 911 with a wing to me. YMMV! If I could, I'd still own both and will hopefully own another GT car in the near future
Old 08-25-2019, 01:06 PM
groundhog
Race Car

They are complimentary - my RS has an organic feel that my 720s doesn't have. Its very distinct, it feels functional, purposeful a focussed tool. My 720s feels exotic, different, ballistically fast, love the view from inside. The RS (I have the clubsport) has a real intimacy particularly with the cage and comms in place - it feels just right and the 720s feels just special.

There is something that just gels with me in the RS, it feels like its wired to me - I feel and hear it - it feels my inputs in response - a total feedback loop that I don't get from the 720s and didn't get from the 488 (and I tried hard to like the 488GTB and ultimately went 720s).

The other thing I like about the II RS is it wears its intentions on the outside of its skin, its not trying to be exotic - e.g. giant wing, NACA ducts, fender vents, put it on a hoist look underneath - built by engineers that have an intimate understanding of racing, you can't miss it.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:13 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
They are complimentary - my RS has an organic feel that my 720s doesn't have. Its very distinct, it feels functional, purposeful a focussed tool. My 720s feels exotic, different, ballistically fast, love the view from inside. The RS (I have the clubsport) has a real intimacy particularly with the cage and comms in place - it feels just right and the 720s feels just special.

There is something that just gels with me in the RS, it feels like its wired to me - I feel and hear it - it feels my inputs in response - a total feedback loop that I don't get from 720s and didn't get from the 488 (and I tried hard to like the 488GTB and ultimately went 720s).
yep I can understand. For driving dynamics when pushing a car, or for levels of comfort immediately jumping into a car and driving off, I like the GT stuff the best. GT stuff IMO is more analog, more feedback, more confidence inspiring, more predictable. But there was just something surprisingly fresh/special to me with a supercar/exotic that I didn't really figure until I actually got one and got to experience it as an owner (fingers crossed on reliability/avoiding service dept). Not about laptimes or metrics etc. both are very amazing whether an exotic supercar or Porsche GT car, but in just different ways
The following users liked this post:
Maverick787 (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 01:17 PM
groundhog
Race Car

^^^ definitely not knocking the supercar bug - I very much enjoy my 720s, love the design, the doors, the view - "supercars" are very special because of these type of attributes - they are unique.

In a longwinded way - I'm saying both make me smile but for very different reasons if that makes sense.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:22 PM
zmangt3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Once I started playing with McLarens I lost interest in my RS. I eventually sold it and have never looked back
Old 08-25-2019, 01:25 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by zmangt3
Once I started playing with McLarens I lost interest in my RS. I eventually sold it and have never looked back
which RS?
Old 08-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Very very market dependant and you need to separate the Series I from the Series II (also they are there to be driven).
Damn 190k where, if so I got screwed (:
Old 08-25-2019, 01:39 PM
zmangt3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

which RS?
Old 08-25-2019, 02:10 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

If you are going to judge what is the “best” car by simple lap times, then get an Ariel atom.

To me there is so much more in a car. Power, speed, accretion, exotic ness, uniqueness, head turning capabilities, etc etc etc.

there is no doubt the 3rs is a spectacular machine. Drives great. But I don’t consider it an “exotic” it’s a damn capable car. I loved mine but had to sell due to lack of garage space.

but when you get in a Ferrari or a Mclaren, there is a
whole different level of exotic ness that Porsche does not have. Does that mean they are “better”? No just diffeeent.

While I had no issues taking my Porsche’s to the office as they sort of blended in with the crowd, I have never taken my Ferrari’s or Mclarens. Don’t want the employees to start asking for raises. Lol.

Talk about the merits of each car but stop the my car is .0002 seconds faster around the track. It’s a lame comparison and no one here can extract that performance out of any of these cars unless you are a professional driver.
The following 6 users liked this post by Yippiekiaye:
AllAboutThatP (08-25-2019), destaccado (08-25-2019), Gary(SF) (08-25-2019), Mattyrae (08-25-2019), Maverick787 (08-25-2019), thebishman (08-25-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-25-2019, 02:14 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
If you are going to judge what is the “best” car by simple lap times, then get an Ariel atom.

To me there is so much more in a car. Power, speed, accretion, exotic ness, uniqueness, head turning capabilities, etc etc etc.

there is no doubt the 3rs is a spectacular machine. Drives great. But I don’t consider it an “exotic” it’s a damn capable car. I loved mine but had to sell due to lack of garage space.

whole different level of exotic ness that Porsche does not have. Does that mean they are “better”? No just diffeeent.

While I had no issues taking my Porsche’s to the office as they sort of blended in with the crowd, I have never taken my Ferrari’s or Mclarens. Don’t want the employees to start asking for raises. Lol.

Talk about the merits of each car but stop the my car is .0002 seconds faster around the track. It’s a lame comparison and no one here can extract that performance out of any of these cars unless you are a professional driver.
Drop the mic can’t say it any better than that. Bla bla bla, and lap times someone finally said it ....unless you’re getting paid with sponsors sure I get it.
Yippiekiaye (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 02:36 PM
gtrguyinaz
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So in the end, there are so many great cars and maybe we should not judge for others .............just drive and enjoy , on the road, at the track or a garage queen...
Old 08-25-2019, 03:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,745 Likes on 5,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

So true.

Guys who buy these cars based solely on some magazine or journalists' published lap times are the same WIS who buy a mechanical watch and then return it because it doesn't keep accurate time vis-a-vis their iPhone.
Yippiekiaye (08-25-2019)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success