Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:56 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Asco
Just received a reply from my dealer stating that they do not know the amount of allocations yet and will reach out as soon as they receive further info... Strange as the car is launched already, so I believe I am not fortunate enough to get one... Anybody else got any responses yet?
same info in austria. no allocations yet.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:59 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
If it wasn't for the natives in natural habitat we would (see below) But I don't think we would crack $750 for the GT2 would we !! Maybe... It will be the most expensive porsche ever here if it does. (other then the s/hand R's endeavouring to achieve that)

GT3
$145 US / $400 Aus

GT2
$293 US / so say $800 ??

$645k + options + onroad costs... No change on $700k is a given with virtually zero options... They love to spoil us
Old 07-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

What's interesting is that if Porsche offficially announced they would absolutely cap production at 1,000 units, they would sell out very quickly, but if Porsche says there is no cap and that they will build as many as people will buy, I'd wager they will be lucky to sell a thousand.

It's the issue of people wanting what they can't have on an artificially constrained product.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:07 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
What's interesting is that if Porsche offficially announced they would absolutely cap production at 1,000 units, they would sell out very quickly, but if Porsche says there is no cap and that they will build as many as people will buy, I'd wager they will be lucky to sell a thousand.

It's the issue of people wanting what they can't have on an artificially constrained product.
Totally agree with this!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:16 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
The GT2RS is priced solidly in Ferrari/Lamborghini territory.

For those that can fork out that kind of money to buy the GT2RS, they are likely to already have a Ferrari or 2 or 3, and/or the Lamborghinis too.

For the rest, it will be a choice between the 3 brands, and they are all very different animals, that fits different people, my guess is that some potential customers will choose the Lamborghini for the NA sound over the GT2RS, some will think it's outrageous to pay that kind of money for a Porsche and give up, and then there are those that would prefer to go into the Ferrari camp to take their chances with getting limited editions there.

At the end of the day, the car, no matter how highly it is lusted after in forums, will not be a hotly contested car like the much cheaper GT3RS. The 300k and up market isn't that big and it's quite saturated already.

Think Ferrari moved around 8000 cars for 2016, Lamborghini around 4000. McLaren adds just over 3000. 15,000 cars plus the miscellaneous Bentley, Rolls Royces, etc. (Those later cars buys aren't cross shopping a sports car with their luxo barge.)

Back out the TDFs, the F12s, FFs, Aventadors, perhaps even the Californias and that 300k+ sports car market is down to less than 10,000 cars a year. Pipe dream for someone to think Porsche can add more 2000 GT2RS to that market, 1000 is the more likely number, might even be less.
Agreed.
Some of the buyers out there for the GT2RS will already have a lambo and or ferrari etc in their garage.
Other potential buyers will be those who see the magazine review between the 3 cars with simular HP/price point and if the GT2RS reigns supreme, then they will want it.

It will be an interesting test for Porsche however.
It will show just how much the market is willing (or not willing) to pay for an aero beetle.

will the high price lower the overall demand to sticker price sales or will these things fetch over sticker?

Will be an interesting exercise.
If these thing sell slow and for MSRP, then perhaps Porsche would need to introduce a 960 to enter the 300k+ market.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:18 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
The GT2RS is priced solidly in Ferrari/Lamborghini territory.

For those that can fork out that kind of money to buy the GT2RS, they are likely to already have a Ferrari or 2 or 3, and/or the Lamborghinis too.

For the rest, it will be a choice between the 3 brands, and they are all very different animals, that fits different people, my guess is that some potential customers will choose the Lamborghini for the NA sound over the GT2RS, some will think it's outrageous to pay that kind of money for a Porsche and give up, and then there are those that would prefer to go into the Ferrari camp to take their chances with getting limited editions there.

At the end of the day, the car, no matter how highly it is lusted after in forums, will not be a hotly contested car like the much cheaper GT3RS. The 300k and up market isn't that big and it's quite saturated already.

Think Ferrari moved around 8000 cars for 2016, Lamborghini around 4000. McLaren adds just over 3000. 15,000 cars plus the miscellaneous Bentley, Rolls Royces, etc. (Those later cars buys aren't cross shopping a sports car with their luxo barge.)

Back out the TDFs, the F12s, FFs, Aventadors, perhaps even the Californias and that 300k+ sports car market is down to less than 10,000 cars a year. Pipe dream for someone to think Porsche can add more 2000 GT2RS to that market, 1000 is the more likely number, might even be less.
Ferrari Speciale 1200 - 400 US was basically unlimited and the last NA.

675LT 500 Coupes 500 Spiders Aventador SV 600 coupes 500 Roadsters Performante is unlimited 1000 customers for the 2RS is a lot considering no roadster. The 488 GTO coupe and Spider are right around the corner. I would love to have 2RS W package but have a deposit on the 488GTO guessing around 400k not much more than the 2RS would mean letting go my Voo Doo RS tough call unless the 2RS was offered in a manual or PTS look forward to some driving impressions.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 07-03-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I maybe slightly off topic but why did they not make a regular GT2 first before going to the RS? GT2's have traditionally been the GT cars that depreciate the most, especially in the first 5 to 7 years then they seem to come back up. This maybe the reason Porsche went straight to the RS version. The regular GT2's seemed to sit on lots for quite a while. This new GT2RS might be the latest and greatest but it is a turbo, and a pdk, is not a Mezger turbo. The turbo stuff and pdk is just going to keep getting better. Porsche is just testing the market with the new 488/720 I think, which is fine.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:46 AM
GT288
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean if all else fails. Just get a GT3 RS modify the engine and put turbos on it. I mean they aren't that far away from each other. You'll have a much better sound as well. It's been done before on a 997 GT3 RS wouldn't be the first time.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:07 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I maybe slightly off topic but why did they not make a regular GT2 first before going to the RS? GT2's have traditionally been the GT cars that depreciate the most, especially in the first 5 to 7 years then they seem to come back up. This maybe the reason Porsche went straight to the RS version. The regular GT2's seemed to sit on lots for quite a while. This new GT2RS might be the latest and greatest but it is a turbo, and a pdk, is not a Mezger turbo. The turbo stuff and pdk is just going to keep getting better. Porsche is just testing the market with the new 488/720 I think, which is fine.
Completely understand your previous points from the GT2/GT2 RS iterations; but I have to ask this to all, why is there such a hesitation towards a new engine platform as the Mezger is no longer used? I just don't see Porsche building engines that are to never rival the previous models (and aware of the 991 GT3 issues).

We also don't hear people saying the 997 GT cars were so much worse than the 70/80's air cooled engines; so can't imagine we will be saying in 20 years that the new engines are so much worse than the Mezger's. I think there is a reason we are hearing Porsche heads saying "no one will miss the Mezger's with these new engines" (specifically directed at the new .2 GT3 if I recall correct).
Old 07-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes, but nobody will want one (at that price, no less) if it was so easy to get -- if dealers started calling and announcing that it's available to all comers. Quite the conundrum.
I'm on the bubble.
Pros:
Love the car and the brute power.
Love the looks.
Love the exclusivity if it is exclusive as opposed to building to order

Cons:
Price. Heavy coin for me.
Turbo.
Non Motorsport.
Unclear if my $ and less of it is better spent on last 991GT3RS that is likely on the way and try and score PTS

Conundrum indeed for me.

Reality is my .1 GT3RS is WAY WAY too fast for the street as is. Maybe just keep it and enjoy it and stop chasing the latest greatest.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:25 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

^ Pull the trigger. The only "con" item, which isn't on your list, is if you can't afford it. It's a beast of a car, regardless if someone stamps it "Motorsport" of if PAG makes 3 of them.

"If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "Motorsport", I can do it - I have spare time.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:30 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
^ Pull the trigger. The only "con" item, which isn't on your list, is if you can't afford it. It's a beast of a car, regardless if someone stamps it "Motorsport" of if PAG makes 3 of them.

"If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "Motorsport", I can do it - I have spare time.
i likely will take the plunge if I can get one. Love to get PTS in Gelbgrun with silver wheels and Weissach
Old 07-03-2017, 12:39 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

.1RS isn't too fast for the street...it's a bit of a "dog" on the low end...it makes you feel like it's crazy fast from the noises it makes but you can wring it out in corners which is fun as hell and no cops set speed traps in turns!

However the 2RS will be super fast from the low to high end so that will be too fast for the street for sure.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,289 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
The only "con" item, which isn't on your list, is if you can't afford it.
Some can't afford the car, and would be foolish to stretch to try to own one.

Others can easily afford it, to the extent that the cost is a non-issue, though they may still care about value.

Many others - probably the vast majority of typical Porsche customers - are in the gray zone in between, where they can 'afford' it, but it entails tradeoffs against other ways to spend the money, so the decision involves weighing more factors.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I priced one out at $303K. I'd consider it if I could upgrade from my RS for $50-60K before taxes which will never happen.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS