Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Cookie991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The US Dealer press release suggests the US Market is going to get the Weissach Carbon Roll Bars. Has anyone been able to confirm, or is marketing getting ahead of itself?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,908 Likes on 2,784 Posts

Originally Posted by Cookie991
The US Dealer press release suggests the US Market is going to get the Weissach Carbon Roll Bars. Has anyone been able to confirm, or is marketing getting ahead of itself?
"Anti-Roll Bars" are another term for swaybars (part of the suspension, not the roll cage in the cabin which is made of Titanium).

Here is the description of the Weissach package in UK with Roll Cage:
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Cookie991
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GrantG
"Anti-Roll Bars" are another term for swaybars (part of the suspension, not the roll cage in the cabin which is made of metal, maybe Titanium).
Your right Grant, thanks
Old 07-03-2017, 12:54 PM
TomTomTom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Riz
I maybe slightly off topic but why did they not make a regular GT2 first before going to the RS? GT2's have traditionally been the GT cars that depreciate the most, especially in the first 5 to 7 years then they seem to come back up. This maybe the reason Porsche went straight to the RS version. The regular GT2's seemed to sit on lots for quite a while. This new GT2RS might be the latest and greatest but it is a turbo, and a pdk, is not a Mezger turbo. The turbo stuff and pdk is just going to keep getting better. Porsche is just testing the market with the new 488/720 I think, which is fine.
I left Weissach before the actual work on the GT2 RS but the argumentation that was presented to me from AP's number 2, was:

The 996GT2/997GT2 was driven by guys that wanted either a "Turbo for the track" or a "GT3 with more HP".
The GT2 turned out to be a compromise: Softer than the 997 GT3 but significantly more "track focused" than the Turbo.

In the end both customers were not really satisfied as it didn't meet their needs. Therefore they decided to go with a Turbo / Turbo S strategy from the beginning and only offered the GT2 as RS with a more radical setup.

The "normal" GT2 was always the "least GT" car Porsche made in terms of suspension trim, etc.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,435 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I'm on the bubble.
Pros:
Love the car and the brute power.
Love the looks.
Love the exclusivity if it is exclusive as opposed to building to order

Cons:
Price. Heavy coin for me.
Turbo.
Non Motorsport.
Unclear if my $ and less of it is better spent on last 991GT3RS that is likely on the way and try and score PTS

Conundrum indeed for me.

Reality is my .1 GT3RS is WAY WAY too fast for the street as is. Maybe just keep it and enjoy it and stop chasing the latest greatest.

I would wait for the .2 RS and trade your .1 for that- Why???

-Stop chasing the latest and greatest because that is what many will be doing.

- You mention heavy coin. I am sure you can afford it but even mentioning heavy coin suggests a small stretch.

- I would not take a Turbo over a NA especially when it is possible the .2 RS may exceed 530 HP and 9000 rpm.( you will miss this for certain and that sound above 7500 rpm)
Old 07-03-2017, 01:12 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

WP says roll cage is coloured titanium so one would assume not actually titanium.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I would wait for the .2 RS and trade your .1 for that- Why???

-Stop chasing the latest and greatest because that is what many will be doing.

- You mention heavy coin. I am sure you can afford it but even mentioning heavy coin suggests a small stretch.

- I would not take a Turbo over a NA especially when it is possible the .2 RS may exceed 530 HP and 9000 rpm.( you will miss this for certain and that sound above 7500 rpm)
Bingo. Hard decision
Old 07-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
WP says roll cage is coloured titanium so one would assume not actually titanium.

It is an actual titanium metal roll cage that's in titanium color.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
.1RS isn't too fast for the street...it's a bit of a "dog" on the low end...it makes you feel like it's crazy fast from the noises it makes but you can wring it out in corners which is fun as hell and no cops set speed traps in turns!

However the 2RS will be super fast from the low to high end so that will be too fast for the street for sure.
Your performance envelope is clearly higher than mine. My point is you can't even approach 3/4 of the GT3RS capabilities on the street safely or wisely
Old 07-03-2017, 01:30 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Yes that's true about the performance envelope but that's true of all modern sports cars...however with the 1.RS you can get some serious thrills without being thrown in jail...while the 2RS will be so fast you won't realize you were going 145 when that cop pulls you over on your local street.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,393 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
Yes that's true about the performance envelope but that's true of all modern sports cars...however with the 1.RS you can get some serious thrills without being thrown in jail...while the 2RS will be so fast you won't realize you were going 145 when that cop pulls you over on your local street.
I agree with the point that the .1 GT3 and RS lack some grunt until really wound up. Seems that the .2 GT3 has restored some of that low- to mid-range grunt. The GT2 RS will likely be bonkers - possibly way too bonkers for the street.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTomTom
I left Weissach before the actual work on the GT2 RS but the argumentation that was presented to me from AP's number 2, was:

The 996GT2/997GT2 was driven by guys that wanted either a "Turbo for the track" or a "GT3 with more HP".
The GT2 turned out to be a compromise: Softer than the 997 GT3 but significantly more "track focused" than the Turbo.

In the end both customers were not really satisfied as it didn't meet their needs. Therefore they decided to go with a Turbo / Turbo S strategy from the beginning and only offered the GT2 as RS with a more radical setup.

The "normal" GT2 was always the "least GT" car Porsche made in terms of suspension trim, etc.
Makes sense
Old 07-03-2017, 02:02 PM
MikeF_Vossen
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTomTom

Thanks for the explanation!
Old 07-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
From the website:

The source of its natural authority: the six-cylinder, twin-turbo boxer engine at the rear, four-valve technology, variable turbine geometry (VTG) with large turbochargers and newly designed charged air system, direct fuel injection (DFI) and VarioCam Plus. And transmission directly above the rear axle

Variable turbine geometry (VTG)

The variable turbine geometry of the twin water-cooled turbochargers arranged in parallel directs the incoming exhaust gas towards the turbine wheel via electronically controlled, moveable vanes in such a way that the ratios of both a ‘small’ and ‘large’ turbocharger can be achieved. VTG therefore largely eliminates the target conflict of a normal turbocharger – and enables optimum aspect ratios to be achieved in every operational state.

At low revs, this results in a high turbine speed and thus a high charge pressure – for increased engine filling efficiency, greater torque and considerably improved performance. The torque curve reaches a higher level much earlier – and then maintains it. At high revs on the other hand, the full potential of a large charger can be utilised by adjusting the vanes – a lower exhaust back pressure for maximum performance. Thanks to the variable turbine geometry, the dynamic build-up of charge pressure produces an improved response.
I bought a 997TT the first year. So did my friend. We didn't detect any advantage of that engine over others at that time or before in terms of lag. Fast forward to the 2014 991 TT. I had it for a week. Also felt the same lag. I think the best way to mask lag is with double-clutch programming which can modify throttle mapping, or in the current 2017 TT, keeps the turbine spinning under braking. However, these are all "masking" the inherent lag of all turbocharged engines. Its still there. You just don't notice it as much. In a big and heavy SUV like my X5M, razor sharp throttle responsiveness is not really that important. In a ultra high performance sports car, if possible, I would rather have a NA engine like the 991.2 GT3 or any NA V8 or V12 Ferrari engine. Even a Lambo Performance V10 would be nice. Just my preference.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GT288
I'm dealing with a broker and dealership. The broker sold the contract they had for $160K. The other dealership hopes they can get one.
And then there were people that paid over $800K for a 911R in the beginning. Look at them now.... There will always be somebody that will take a leap.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS