Sponsored by:

BMW M4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 04:02 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Yeah, I've read Nur93's comments. I don't think most people understand the importance of setup, especially in a car like the GTS where they run spring perch inserts that need to be removed for track.
yes, you are spot on! Its no turn key car and is much more than other cars depending on setup. In the same way a real race car is also depending very much on setup. That the whole point With GTS, and thats what we like about it. Its far from the boring turn key car. It need some attention and know how-then it fly Well. Just like a racecar.

Sure, we cant blame the average car magazine guys that they did not do their homework in regards to read the ****ing track manual book that come With car prior to test. Still even the few who did, not Always did they get their tools out to set it up. They was more dripping with adrenalin keen to instant hit track and take a few nice photos😂.( hence many end up no aero and high street setup)

I am not joking, many had no Idé they just drove GP tracks no aero mode and high street setup.

still many like sport auto, auto bild and auto zeitung lap GTS same same as 991 GT3, hence they read the track book and set it for track.

haha, Clarksson not 😂

Last edited by Nur93; 01-07-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:07 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,367 Likes on 632 Posts

Exactly like the viper ACR...they give you a manual so you don't screw it up. We have one at my BMW store and I am going to put my name on it. Set it up etc and rock.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

All cars need at least their alignment checked out, ride heights respected and ideally corner balanced. Even Porsches are delivered with totally wacky setups. Manual adjustable shocks make it even more complex.

But half the time reviewers get a beat on car that's never been driven set up or even on track by anyone that can tell a good setup, yet they "review" it.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:22 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 555 Posts

"Mine" (voucher car) might still be available in Austin if anyone is looking, though there are about 15 sitting in dealerships around the US so not so hard to find one I guess.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
"Mine" (voucher car) might still be available in Austin if anyone is looking, though there are about 15 sitting in dealerships around the US so not so hard to find one I guess.
Nope, not hard. Local dealer has one in their showroom and been bugging me to come drive it. If it was Frozen Grey I might jump on it but it's Mineral Grey Metallic.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:10 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

^^ the water tank would freeze...
Old 01-08-2017, 06:05 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Agree that to get the best out of all cars they should be aligned and set up as mentioned many cars come very different from factory.

But in the end I would not ask for that as its impossible. Also as most car out is not a adjustable they do more or less ok. We get an Ide of their preformace and ability.

But this dont go Well With GTS and the few other adjustable cars on market. GTS is Mr Jekyll and Hyde. It stand ca. 2 higher in street setup, provide zero downforce and is soft and roll and pitch. We need see manual to set right klick on rebound/compression..etc.(its different cliks street vs track)

That pig would not fly Well on GP track layout, still many drive it like that in GP. And In the end I dont care, I can also understand that they have not time, or tools or knowhow or anything to manually set it up.(them car mag guys, still some set it up Well)

its easy to press a button to go from street to track setting, but note as easy manually With tools. But in the end GTS is a car for entusiast, and we dont mind

I just enlighten some that dont understand why laptimes and rewies come in so different. Its not strange really.

A Porsche GT4/3 or Amg GT-S, Audi R8 or them kind of cars Will Always drive better out of the box. Agree With trackcar that they are far from sweetspot if not aligned etc. But even if not the drop in preformace is never as great as a street set GTS on that GP track.

what so special With GTS anyway is it do not need alignmets in between a drop or raise(ca. 2cm difference) as Bmw M see to it if you go between these 2 factory settings toe and camber adjust accordingly. But I guess if you go past them 2 very Well developed 2 bmw m stock settings(street and track) you must align.

Also all GTS is aligned With 75kg driver manually at Garcing M factory. Hence I just took My car from showroom and in street setting It drive Nurburgring like a king. I only adjust aero to track mode.

Street setting is only for nur and street. And In the end thats whats so cool, you could take your GTS from showroom and accually hit 7.27.88min full sport auto lap..if you got the ***** and skills. It Will not rubb tire to car, it Will not understeer it Will just kill that track from showroom delivery setup(except aero need Max track aero)

I Will never forget My first few laps, 4th lap I was at 257gps km/h before swedenx jump, I lift as prior to this It was One year since driven track in GT4. Instant after that I feel so much confidence I just did know I can go full over swedenx jump next lap. I never came to an other lap (track close) but its so confidence this car on these setting stock and its scary over here in GT4(simular speed, but a bit slower) . GTS not at al scary.

Last edited by Nur93; 01-08-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:15 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Nur93
its a 360 film and My friend film me driving GTS, he is behind me in his Ferrari 488.

Video is so cool, but you need to use a browser that supports 360 so you cannot watch it in Safari on Mac (on iPhone it is OK.)

Try Firefox for instance.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Thank Kobalt!
indeed its nice to see SPA on iPhone then I see it 360
view, like just turn iPhone I see all around the track/pit.

there Is a little ikon down to the right in youtube film, whats that? Its like 3D eyewear ?

If I klick it pop up 2 frame of video.
....when do we pop down to nur Kobalt?

Let me know, we Will kill it this time around at 7.15 pace BTG.

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Video is so cool, but you need to use a browser that supports 360 so you cannot watch it in Safari on Mac (on iPhone it is OK.)

Try Firefox for instance.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:00 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

I guess the 3D icon is for 3D glasses or VR - but I'm not sure.

The video deserves a big display but it is really fun to watch in on iPad: When you rotate the iPad around you you navigate in the 360 space. You look like an idiot watching it like that :-)
Old 01-08-2017, 09:07 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nur93
When do we pop down to nur Kobalt?

Let me know, we will kill it this time around at 7.15 pace BTG.
I'll PM you about Nur

Not that I know how good driver Clarkson really is but I suspect that the GTS isn't better then it's driver and that the GTS is a true drivers car - and in your hands it at home.

7.15: I be happy to be your tail. I need to reach 7.22. Need to shave 5 seconds, maybe I can find them with your help
Old 01-09-2017, 04:18 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Cool, hope to meet up. Cheers

Originally Posted by Kobalt
I'll PM you about Nur

Not that I know how good driver Clarkson really is but I suspect that the GTS isn't better then it's driver and that the GTS is a true drivers car - and in your hands it at home.

7.15: I be happy to be your tail. I need to reach 7.22. Need to shave 5 seconds, maybe I can find them with your help
Old 01-09-2017, 07:06 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

I love the GTS.

Did see it sometimes last year when i was at the Ring.

Going back in May and August ( taking the 951 down )
Old 04-18-2017, 07:17 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Took her for a few spring laps an afternnon session, never been on this track with GTS so first time. But even its a short 3.2km track the GTS drove well considering its pork(1700kg full fuel and me in car)

Old 04-18-2017, 07:56 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

For my M4GTS.
Attached Images           

Quick Reply: BMW M4 GTS