Sponsored by:

Reference Guide to PTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 05:10 AM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is an actual photo of a .2 997 era 'Gelbgrün':

I know from experience that the actual differences between these two colors is very noticeable. But I doubt anyone can reach that same conclusion from just examining these two photos...since they look kind of similar in the photos. I doubt 'Slip' based his decision to order 'Gelbgrün' on the basis of that rendering. But in general I caution anyone AGAINST selecting a PTS color for their Porsche based on photographs...or photoshop renderings! You need to see it in person to truly understand what your eyes will see when presented with the color 'in the flesh'. So caveat lector!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Eduardo, yes, you're correct, I've seen the Gelbgrün in person and the rendering online was the closest I could find however it is not exactly the same. Agree that you need to see these colours for yourself before making any decisions. I think the same goes for the standard colours of orange and purple. There are so many over saturated / filtered pics floating around that it's hard to know exactly what you'll get.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:31 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
It's bad enough trying to make out how a particular color looks based on actual photographs - for example, the 'Viper' above rarely seems that 'yellowish' in person! But to start inferring what a color will look like base of photoshop renderings is...not advisable. That color is whatever the computer designer specified and not related to what the color formula (plus what primer used, plus clear final coat on top) that PAG uses at present for either PTS 'Gelbgrün' or 'Viper Green'!

Here is an actual photo of a .2 997 era 'Gelbgrün':

And a more recent 911 Turbo S in 'Viper Green':

I know from experience that the actual differences between these two colors is very noticeable. But I doubt anyone can reach that same conclusion from just examining these two photos...since they look kind of similar in the photos. I doubt 'Slip' based his decision to order 'Gelbgrün' on the basis of that rendering. But in general I caution anyone AGAINST selecting a PTS color for their Porsche based on photographs...or photoshop renderings! You need to see it in person to truly understand what your eyes will see when presented with the color 'in the flesh'. So caveat lector!
Right - the artist that did the rendering released it as "Viper Green", I was simply trying to be polite. I don't pretend to know Slip's ordering process, but I order cars all the time without seeing them in person - it's part of the fun.

Here's the same 4.0 on the same day, different lighting or is this the true natural picture before they enhanced it? I'm putting my money on the later...

Old 07-04-2015, 09:57 AM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The late great slate grey debate

I emailed Porsche Design in Altlanta last week and I received the following:

"We have actually requested information on that Geneva car before, and I can confirm it is Schiefergrau 6601 (aka Slate Grey 6601) with the paint code 615. "

Hope this helps, such an awesome color!
Old 07-04-2015, 10:58 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by number 9
I emailed Porsche Design in Altlanta last week and I received the following:

"We have actually requested information on that Geneva car before, and I can confirm it is Schiefergrau 6601 (aka Slate Grey 6601) with the paint code 615. "

Hope this helps, such an awesome color!
Thanks for confirming, happy I got that order right!
Old 07-04-2015, 12:31 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks number9! Suzy991 updated her post with the same info, so it's good to see everyone's on the same page. Can't wait to see more cars in this colour!
Old 07-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 'Gelbgrün'...and Y97

Originally Posted by NateOZ
...I don't pretend to know Slip's ordering process, but I order cars all the time without seeing them in person - it's part of the fun.
That's fine for you to say Nate. But most folks that are doing their 'due diligence' on what PTS color to order might not be as audacious (or is it 'cavalier') as you seem to be! And they may not want to regret a choice made which could be very costly - emotionally and financially - to them! And then you have folks rejecting the PTS custom order once it arrives...causing major issues for dealer, PCNA & PAG. So caveat lector.

Here's the same 4.0 on the same day, different lighting or is this the true natural picture before they enhanced it? I'm putting my money on the later...

That photo you posted is not the exactly the same. But it is indeed from the sequence of photos from that original 'shoot' of the 'Gelbgrün' .2 997 gt3 RS 4.0 Limited Edition. But that one you posted was extra digitally color manipulated to create that particular pearlescent/metallic effect. We know the source of both photos and we have talked about it before on this forum and elsewhere. And we can discuss it again...but need to include all relevant sources & photos so as not confuse readers of this forum as to what 'Gelbgrün' looks like.

or

Originally Posted by <3mph
Thanks number9! Suzy991 updated her post with the same info, so it's good to see everyone's on the same page. Can't wait to see more cars in this colour!
'Yams' also confirmed this for us.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8790...l#post12394169

But it doesn't resolve the issue of what color (Silver Stone/Slate Grey) is color code Y97, hence my previous post:

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-04-2015, 03:32 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eduardo, what's the color of your avatar car?
Old 07-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Crystal Blau'...

Originally Posted by otisdog
Eduardo, what's the color of your avatar car?
'Crystal Blau'....one of thirty colors offered by Porsche in MY1970! It was not PTS.

The info below comes from an article published in Christophorus Issue No. 89 / Oct. of 1970. This was a unusual year for Porsche 'colors' since it offered 30 choices to its customers - 9 standard and 21 special colors! In the article, von Frankenberg revealed that less than 00.1 % of production that year were painted in this unusual 'Crystal Blue' color! With 15,749 units of 911 & 914-6 produced in total in that model year, that works out to about 15 or 16 cars painted in this 'rare' color! I doubt many of those 15 or 16 'Crystal Blues' have survived to the present with their original paint intact like on this 1970 911E Targa!

1. Orange shades 26,5
2. Ivory 13,75
3. Greens 13,60
4. Red tones 12,5
5. Blues 11,1

77% took their car in standard colors;

1. Blood Orange /Tangerine 14,48
2. Ivory 13,75 (need to check if 'Light', code 131 or 'Medium', code 132)
3. Signal Orange 11,72
4. Irish Green 7,03
5. Albert blue 6,81
6. Conda green 6,56
7. Bahia Red 6,42
8. Burgundy Red 6,07
9. Pastel Blue 4,23

21,7% took their car in special colors;

1. Metallic Silver 7,83
2. Metallic Blue 2,78
3. Canary Yellow 2,1
4. Black 1,22
5. Metallic Green 1,21
6. Adriatic Blue 1,21
7. Light Yellow 1,11
8. Metallic red 0,96
9. Sepia Brown 0,79
10. Olive 0,68
11. Signal Yellow 0,6
12. Leaf Green 0,21
13. Beige Oxford Grey 0,1
14. Signal Green 0,1
15. Porcelain/Glacier Blue 0,1
16. Light Red 0,1
17. Ivory 0,1 (need to check if 'Light', code 131 or 'Medium', code 132)
18. Crystal Blue 0,1
19. Turquoise 0,1
20. Turquoise Green 0,1
21. Light Grey 0,1

1,3% were true "PTS" cars!

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...red-in-1970-by

'Crystal Blau' is an absolutely lovely color (solid/uni)...not too light, not too dark. Kind of perfect...for me.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 07-04-2015, 07:48 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by Z356
That photo you posted is not the exactly the same. But it is indeed from the sequence of photos from that original 'shoot' of the 'Gelbgrün' .2 997 gt3 RS 4.0 Limited Edition. But that one you posted was extra digitally color manipulated to create that particular pearlescent/metallic effect. We know the source of both photos and we have talked about it before on this forum and elsewhere. And we can discuss it again...but need to include all relevant sources & photos so as not confuse readers of this forum as to what 'Gelbgrün' looks like.
Right - it's not the exact same picture, but it's the only one from the entire shoot that has that color to it. So I'm on the other side of this bet with the rest of the shoot being more true to modern Glebgrun. I believe they've tried to remove reflective effect of the modern paint to make it look more like the vintage color. My money is on the color being more like this on a 991 in bright light and more like the one you posted in the shade/indoors. Again, just my view so people need to do their own diligence with their orders.

This one actually shows it pretty well, you can see where the shadows hit the car it looks more green and less yellow. The mirrors and stripes etc are also more true to what I remember them being on the 4.0 - it's been 5 months since I've been in one so my memory might be off too!

Old 07-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Any bets on what this '74 RSR is? I'm guessing probably slate grey?

I'm wrestling with greys. Did anyone ever confirm if this car is slate grey ?

Following this thread I believe Slate Grey is now Y97 and formerly 615 even though they are both on the PTS list...correct ?

I assume Sport Classic Grey is not available as it is not on the PTS list.

Fashion Grey is available, but I worry it may be too beige.

I don't know what pearl grey is, but bet its too light.

Does anyone have a picture of Stone Grey (Z67) ?

I'm in a grey area trying to sort these. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Polesitter
I'm wrestling with greys. Did anyone ever confirm if this car is slate grey ?

Following this thread I believe Slate Grey is now Y97 and formerly 615 even though they are both on the PTS list...correct ?

I assume Sport Classic Grey is not available as it is not on the PTS list.

Fashion Grey is available, but I worry it may be too beige.

I don't know what pearl grey is, but bet its too light.

Does anyone have a picture of Stone Grey (Z67) ?

I'm in a grey area trying to sort these. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
Hi Polesitter, yes, it's quite confusing. Here's what I understand of the matter.

Both Y97 and 615 are now currently called Slate Grey. 615 is probably closest to the original slate grey made famous by McQueen, etc. It is the colour of the 991 from the Geneva show that has been floating around here. There are currently no known pictures of a Y97 car AFAIK.

Correctamundo--no Sport Classic grey (photo 1) available, possibly ever. If you like this, Fashion grey (photos 2-4 with various lighting conditions but none that exaggerate the beige) isn't far off...

Fashion grey is slightly beige, but mostly in bright direct sunlight. It tends to photograph more beige than it reads to my eye in most lighting conditions. In shade it is quite pure grey, especially under fluorescent lighting. Bottom line, it changes colour a bit. If you have the ability to see this car in person (of the 10 extra ones, etc) you should do that before you rule it out IMO. You may also want to look through photos in the link below for more Fashion grey pics. I'm happy to send you some more if you want too (PM me).

Pearl grey is even more brown than Fashion grey; Stone grey is also more brown/green than Fashion grey. I would think you won't like these if you find Fashion grey too beige, but take a look at post #4 here where there are more photos of these and other greys: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ey-thread.html.

I'm sure Eduardo and others with more extensive knowledge of these colours will chime in with better info than me, but I hope this helps.

Last edited by <3mph; 07-04-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:43 AM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Thanks <3mph. You're right about fashion grey being tough to pin down. It looks different from picture to picture. I need to see it in the flesh to make this call. I have seen sport classic grey several times and like it. Fashion grey may be the closest although it is darker and may read more beige under certain light.

Slate grey does look good too and would be strong contender. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:16 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Will the real 'Gelbgrün' please stand up...

Originally Posted by Slip
Eduardo, yes, you're correct, I've seen the Gelbgrün in person and the rendering online was the closest I could find however it is not exactly the same. Agree that you need to see these colours for yourself before making any decisions. I think the same goes for the standard colours of orange and purple. There are so many over saturated / filtered pics floating around that it's hard to know exactly what you'll get.
That is right, Slip. Good for you for sorting it all out!

...I don't pretend to know Slip's ordering process, but I order cars all the time without seeing them in person - it's part of the fun.

Right - it's not the exact same picture, but it's the only one from the entire shoot that has that color to it. So I'm on the other side of this bet with the rest of the shoot being more true to modern Glebgrun. I believe they've tried to remove reflective effect of the modern paint to make it look more like the vintage color. My money is on the color being more like this on a 991 in bright light and more like the one you posted in the shade/indoors. Again, just my view so people need to do their own diligence with their orders. This one actually shows it pretty well, you can see where the shadows hit the car it looks more green and less yellow.

I am trying to shed light on these colors so that Rennlisters get an opportunity to consider these various PTS possibilities. I can't let this topic dropped without pointing what I know about 'Gelbgrün', color code 137, so that it can help set the record straight. First some background on the particular vehicle that has been the subject of our recent discussion. It is a .2 997 gt3 RS 4.0, #001 of the 600 Limited Edition series. It was custom ordered in PTS 'Gelbgrün', color code 137, by its owner, Teamspeed member 'BluScorpio':

http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/67973...-rs-4-0-a.html

The owner posted this photo of the 'Gelbgrün' color sample he was shown by Porsche during his visit to 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany and which he used to decide what to order on his RS:

Here are photos after the 'Gelbgrün' arrived in SouthEast Asia:

So far, so good. Then the owner takes this photo in the sun, which is a
total technical 'fail' if you ask any professional photographer.

And he apparently has a professional photo shoot done on his gt3 RS which is posted at another thread in Teamspeed.

http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/71560...001-600-a.html

This is where the controversy on the color begins and the reason Nate & I are having this discussion!

As a consumer of information, you will have to decide what to believe about 'Gelbgrün'. I know the color well and it looks like this 1974 911:

It looks like this color sample, color code 137, supplied by someone that was considering it:

And it looks like this color sample supplied to the owner of the 4.0 by Porsche itself when he visited Zuffenhausen:

So, in summary, if Nate & perhaps others want to believe 'Gelbgrün' actually looks more like this digitally manipulated, metallic-looking photographs taken during the dramatic photo shoot...go right ahead!

Nate is not ordering a PTS 'Gelbgrün' on his 991 gt3 RS (it will be 'Viper Green'), so he can afford to be somewhat 'glib' about this particular 'grün'! But if you, on the other hand, are seriously considering 'Gelbgrün', you need to have all the facts at your disposal so that you can make an intelligent choice on this both historic & stunning solid green color! So caveat lector.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-06-2015, 08:37 AM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Near car is my Porsche Green 2D8 , and background is Viper 225

Old 07-06-2015, 10:31 AM
maxt
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 10 Posts

Eduardo, I always follow your post on PTS colours with much interest, thank you so much for taking the time to be so constructive and always so precise on this subject.

I choosed Gelbgrün POR137 as well for my 991RS, on the basis of how the colour looked on the '74 car and the sample indoor picture of the 4.0RS above...I would be quite disappointed if the colour turned out to be anything like those outdoor pictures you just quoted. I would probably be more safe with Viper but I feel like I want something a bit more funky than the "plain" VG....

I guess only time will tell as I'm unlikely to see a Gelbgrun RS before my order will be locked...

Quick Reply: Reference Guide to PTS