Sponsored by:

Reference Guide to PTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:04 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
Im a sucker for dark greens. What do you guys think of Oak Green Metallic?

I think it's a great color, but I tend to prefer non-Metallics on GT cars. Brewster is a good non-metallic option, but I think Oak Green Met is going to look great with the black highlights.
The following users liked this post:
sparetireless (06-06-2021)
Old 06-14-2015, 01:08 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GioF
Which Porsche non-metallic blue you think is closest to the ''blue pozzi'' by Ferrari????
Take a look at pantone 296C
Old 06-14-2015, 01:29 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Loving all the old colors, but agree with others who have said that many of them do not translate well to the modern, sleeker and larger body styles.

The charm, cuteness (sorry) and smallness of the older cars you could paint anything and they looked great, hard to say that with the uber wide and in-yo-face design of the 991 RS.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
+1 - lets not forget the Jeeps are everywhere as well, also in slate grey, orange etc. I just wish we didn't have to go through the PTS mess to get access to the historic colors and there were more standard options.

Or this other 'jeep' from Mercedes. PTS of course...

Im a sucker for dark greens. What do you guys think of Oak Green Metallic?

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I think it's a great color, but I tend to prefer non-Metallics on GT cars. Brewster is a good non-metallic option, but I think Oak Green Met is going to look great with the black highlights.
I think this photo shows that color, 'Oakgrünmetallic/Oak Green Metallic', color code 22L, in a 'better light' and as it's currently being done at PAG.

Post #65
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-gt3-rs-5.html

Originally Posted by otisdog
Take a look at pantone 296C

Otis, have you been able to ever see the 991 or 981 ordered in this color? I have not.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

I just noticed that the Great Britain builder now shows pts colours for the GT3RS. It looks like the basic two, blue (Mexico?) and dark red metallic (Arena?). It's nice to see some different colours that you can play with.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default PTS Window shows up in the UK configurator...

Originally Posted by Loess
I just noticed that the Great Britain builder now shows pts colours for the GT3RS. It looks like the basic two, blue (Mexico?) and dark red metallic (Arena?). It's nice to see some different colours that you can play with.
Thanks for the heads up Loess!

Just to clarify, the colors shown (one in solid and the other in metallic) are just representations of just the many PTS colors you can choose. For example, in the captured image below, that 'blue' is not suppose to represent the actual color - i.e. 'Mexico Blue', 'Aetna Blue', 'Gulf Blue', 'Riviera Blue' - or any other PTS hue in particular! It just means that the PTS ordering window is 'open' for that model!

The US configurator has not been updated yet...but we know the PTS window is also open for us on this model!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-14-2015, 06:56 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Eduardo,
In your experience, for those that have requested an approved PTS color, will everyone get PTS if they make the request in the window, and an open window means it's available for all? Thanks.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:57 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Epic
Old 06-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default A little history on PTS and the so-called 'windows'...

Originally Posted by consolidated
Eduardo,
In your experience, for those that have requested an approved PTS color, will everyone get PTS if they make the request in the window, and an open window means it's available for all? Thanks.
A long answer to a short question. But I think it's worth discussing.

PTS, when it was a little known option that was only in the radar of a few savvy dealers or customers, was a pretty obscure operation. Those were the days of the 997 and earlier models. So whether it had rhyme or reason, very few of us knew. In general, PTS windows opened early in a model year (late summer/early fall) and closed a few months later (say December). Porsche then would order the paint and coordinate the process, which normally took 3 to 6 months. Usually PAG would take their sweet time building the damn PTS vehicles (usually in batches all together) and they would most likely show up in May at the US dealer.

This was probably OK for a customer on his custom order...but quite tricky for a dealer if he was doing it on spec. He had just a few months to sell the PTS vehicle before the model year change and he would have to discount his custom order spec car! Such was the case of the first PTS car I ever owned - a 2007 .1 997 Carrera S. My friend bought it new in June/July of 2007 at a discount from new at Pioneer Porsche (now P of San Diego) since they were getting a little concerned with it sitting too long in stock inventory.

As an aside, I was able to buy this PTS 'Signal Green' 997 from my friend 3 years later...then lost the car in an accident.

So it was in 2010/2011 that I decided to purchase a new Porsche and wanted order it with the PTS option. That is how I first became fully acquainted with the arduous process of PTS at Porsche. And I soon found out that it was run in a totally arbitrary fashion. There was no PTS list of any sort. You knew that there were some bespoke colors done - 'Riviera Blue', 'Mexico Blue', 'RS Orange', 'RS Green', etc - because you would see, or hear of one, from time to time. But you had to be proactive and know what color you wanted to order PTS - neither PAG nor PCNA was much willing to aid in the process! It was a seldom picked option...and almost totally unused by most dealers & customers!

The Porsche I was ordering - a MY2012 Boxster Spyder - was a unique model. It was only offered in 7 colors rather than the 14 or so available on other Boxsters or Caymans of the period (think of it as a limited production gt product). I pushed my dealer & PCNA to request for me PTS on this model for months. The answer was always 'NO CAN DO'. Then one March 2011 day, PCNA opened the PTS window for about 1 1/2 weeks - for 10 or 12 days. Only one customer - Rennlister JSF 101 - was able to take advantage & order a PTS Spyder under that window! He chose 'Speed Yellow'. And two savvy dealers - Walters (CA) and EuroClassics (VA) - ended up getting PTS Spyders on speculation & for inventory. These were not ordered by an individual customer. Their colors were 'Riviera Blue' and 'Azure Blue'. I missed the PTS window and ended up with a regular 'Aqua Blue' Spyder...but with a lot of unique options!

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...tom-order.html

However, I learned my lesson well...which was to become totally prepare for PTS way ahead of when PAG opens their unpredictable PTS windows!

And shortly after that, in July of 2012, I decided to apply the lessons I had learned in ordering my 987 Spyder to helping others here in Rennlist custom order their Porsches.
And PTS became a pretty important part of that discussion from day one!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

The biggest innovation & breakthrough in the handling of PTS at Porsche became the compilation of an actual PTS list of approved colors or those undergoing feasibility evaluation. We didn't have that in the 997 era. Some Rennlisters I knew lost their chance at PTS on the '12 Spyder simply because they didn't know what colors were already approved...and because of the limited timing left in the production of the '12 Spyders, only pre-approved colors were allowed to be ordered!

So when I first learned that there was a list floating around dealers re: PTS colors for the new 991 & 981, I decided to make it public here on Rennlist. That was the start of something totally new...because now we started to understand how PAG viewed PTS and how it was actually handling these special requests. That first PTS list was relatively small when you compare it with the newest one we recently published (see attached below). With time, we learned that PAG today could do PTS 991/981 with a three month notice. That is from actual order in their PAG/PCNA computers to week of production, PAG needs a minimum of 3 months to order the PTS paint & position it on each place it will be needed (Zuffenhausen/Osnabrück paint shops, plus at any outside vendor that will supply a part fully painted in 'Just in Time', 'Just in Sequence' logistics), plus coordinate all that is required to make sure it passes quality control for color matching, etc. It is not as simple as pressing a 'button' and you get 'Signal Green' on your 991 gt3 or RS!

As the result of us discussing constantly PTS in Rennlist & a few other select enthusiast forums, demand for PTS shot up tremendously, especially for the 991 model! With more information on the uniqueness of the PTS option and with substantially more knowledge of the color choices available to them, Porsche customers started driving demand for PTS to historically high figures! That is when PAG ran into 'issues', which were a combination of high demand overwhelming capacity...and perhaps some quality control problems with PTS vehicles. For example, plastic bumpers that didn't match the rest of the car! And sometimes, we had inexplicable multi-colored 'frankensteins'!

As a result, PAG declared a moratorium on 'new' PTS orders on remaining MY2015 models across the line (at least in the 991/981) in the Fall of 2014. A few PTS orders from customers that had been already approved for '14 gt3s & were moved into MY2015 were honored! Some of our Canadian friends received a few unexpected PTS allocations. But that was just about it.

And then we had the unusual case of 30 PTS gt3s that were announced to select US dealers in January (and kept secret) to be build in March & April of 2015 in just three colors - 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' and 'Fashion Grey/Mode Grau'. We broke that unusual story in the internet right here on Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...grey-gt3s.html

And this development led to speculation as to when the PTS moratorium would end and if/when PAG would allow PTS on the future gt3, gt3 RS, gt4 & 981 Spyders. The first PTS window that opened in recent times was for the regular 991 & 981 models starting with beginning of MY2016 production in June 2014 (in just recent weeks). Next we learned that PTS would be allowed for the 991 RS...but starting in the fall rather than with early production. We now have heard that the PTS window is open for the 981 Spyder. And we are expecting that it might open for the gt4 at some point. So far, only the gt4 and the few MY2016 gt3 expected to be produced later this summer/early fall seemed to be exempted from a PTS option. And at least with for the gt4, we are hoping that will change sooner than later!

But let's now go back to your original question: "will everyone get PTS if they make the request in the window, and an open window means it's available for all?" The answer to that normally is 'Yes'. And it continues to be 'Yes' for the regular 991 & 981 models. But it's not clear if it might hold for the special, limited production models like the gt3, gt3 RS, gt4 and Spyder. And any moment, a supplier problem or other 'issue' could arise in production of these limited models that could alter the ability of PAG to honor their PTS commitment. But in general, if PAG allows you to order a PTS option on your model order, it will usually deliver that product to you! But when it comes to PTS at Porsche, it pays to be prepared for the unexpected...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Color to Sample, 5-12-2015.pdf (130.5 KB, 315 views)
Old 06-14-2015, 09:07 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eduardo, I love your straight to the point answers.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:47 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
A long answer to a short question. But I think it's worth discussing.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
That was more than I expected, devoured all of it. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:51 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Default Reference Guide to PTS in a MY2016 991 gt3 RS

Great lesson on PTS!
Old 06-14-2015, 11:19 PM
juncinv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Eduardo for such a detailed explanation. The Godfather of PTS
Old 06-14-2015, 11:22 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
And this development led to speculation as to when the PTS moratorium would end and if/when PAG would allow PTS on the future gt3, gt3 RS, gt4 & 981 Spyders. The first PTS window that opened in recent times was for the regular 991 & 981 models starting with beginning of MY2016 production in June 2014 (in just recent weeks). Next we learned that PTS would be allowed for the 991 RS...but starting in the fall rather than with early production. We now have heard that the PTS window is open for the 981 Spyder. And we are expecting that it might open for the gt4 at some point. So far, only the gt4 and the few MY2016 gt3 expected to be produced later this summer/early fall seemed to be exempted from a PTS option. And at least with for the gt4, we are hoping that will change sooner than later!
I got the ok back in mid April on a MY2016 Targa GTS PTS order (Slate Grey), the earliest slot then was September and I'm not sure how long before that it actually opened. I think PAG kept it pretty quiet to avoid it filling up too quickly. My order went V215 on April 29 and delivery isn't until late October.

I don't know what this will mean for PTS availability on the RS, but still waiting for my final production date on my Viper Green order.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:24 PM
juncinv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great lesson on PTS!
I own a 964 in Oak Green, it was used often in Canada for the 89.5 and 90 964 and is a beautiful shade. It has a hint of gold when the sun shines. I prefer non metallic colours on PTS orders especially on the any two door Porsche.

Quick Reply: Reference Guide to PTS