Reference Guide to PTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CADriver
Hello everyone. First post.

I have a december build for a GT3 RS and have been planning to get it in Lava Orange. After reading through this amazing post multiple times and other posts from Eduardo I think I need to make the jump to PTS.

Top candidates are Signal Yellow code 114 or Green Yellow Uni code 137. Also curious if anyone has pictures of Pure Green Y56 OR Green 2D8 (preferably on a 997 or 991), have searched the web but always nervous that results are labeled correctly.

Any thoughts, pictures, comments appreciated.

I'm not 100% ready to move away from the Lava Orange which I think is a great color and clearly works well with the Gt3 RS (also like getting matching interior trim). Lava Orange has appeared a bit salmon to me in a few pictures but not most.

Thanks everyone in advance! Such a great community here. Plan to be at the Rennsport reunion this fall, hope to meet some of you there.
Green 2D8 is the 2007/8 GT3RS color.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:20 PM
CADriver
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Green 2D8 is the 2007/8 GT3RS color.
Thanks! I had mistakenly thought that was signal green.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:30 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 'Grün' & 'Reingrün'...

Originally Posted by CADriver
Hello everyone. First post...After reading through this amazing post multiple times and other posts from Eduardo I think I need to make the jump to PTS...Top candidates are Signal Yellow code 114 or Green Yellow Uni code 137. Also curious if anyone has pictures of Pure Green Y56 OR Green 2D8 (preferably on a 997 or 991), have searched the web but always nervous that results are labeled correctly. Any thoughts, pictures, comments appreciated.
Welcome to Rennlist CADriver!

As Jon70 mentioned, the 'green' of the MY2007 gt3 RS era was a
unique formulation called initially 'RS Green', color code 2D8:

It is still available via PTS today, but it's name is just 'Green' or 'grün'!
Of the PTS bright 'greens', it has a bit of blue tint in it. The current
'Signal Green', color code 22S, also has a bit of blue tint in its formulation.

'Reingrün', or 'Pure Green', (color code Y56) was approved for PTS
within the last year or so. It's not a historic/vintage early 911 color
that I am aware of.

The Rennlister that sent that to me hails from Germany and is
ordering a 991 gt3 RS in that particular color. The color from the
photo sent looks to me to be the family of 'Viper Green', perhaps
even with more yellow tint. But it's hard to tell from photos. I have
never seen a photo of any Porsche yet done in this beautiful hue:

See further discussion on 'Reingrün' earlier on this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post12332150

Saludos,
Eduardo
Hood Canal
Old 06-27-2015, 06:08 PM
juncinv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go Green, you will never regret it.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:19 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by juncinv
Go Green, you will never regret it.
Within limits, of course....but the problem here is the Pinto, not the color!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Washington State
Old 06-27-2015, 08:34 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Default Reference Guide to PTS in a MY2016 991 gt3 RS

LMAOOO
Old 06-28-2015, 10:36 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aaaaaah Pinto's, I remember those days.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:47 AM
otisdog
Pro

Looks like it's got "slippery" aero...
Old 06-28-2015, 02:42 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ocean jade metallic is inspiring from that ps! This is a color I'll now consider. I requested the gulf, aetna, maritime, fashion pics. Thank you SO much gtautodesign!

I've ruled out Maritime. Wife likes gulf blue but I think it's way too soft a color for the gt4. An RS would wear this color proudly but it isn't calling to me. Aetna is quirky enough to still have my attention and I think I'd have a hard time choosing this over ocean jade now that I see it. Both are unique and befitting the 4 IMO but I can also picture seeing these similar colors all over the airport car rental lots. I dunno....

For a GT car I've always admired the 'Werks' color, a proprietary color of a local dealership called 'man from chile'. With this being unobtainable the closest thing would be fashion grey so I've considered this as a final choice however Its not the same and i would always lust for the distinctive undertones of the one I can't have, which brings me to consider 'slate grey'.... Refined AND still a bit raw, it's my front runner as I have until end of this coming week to finalize a PTS or stick with the special 'GT Silver' that I had settled on before being blessed/cursed with a PTS opportunity.

Many appreciate the 'blessing' part but the 'curse' is kind of like when the Jeanie finally pops out of the bottle and you're totally unprepared with your wish! I don't need a 'million male deer' showing up at delivery time, you know? I need the paint code settled so I can get the 'million DOLLAR' happy that we're all shooting for. Traveling to Atlanta and getting last minute access to the 'wailing wall' doesn't seem doable for me.

While I was so lucky to have an allocation in the first place, winning the lotto of PTS wasn't even thinkable. When I learned I was eligible I said 'no thanks' since the allocation and order process had been mind bending enough already, but now I'm compelled to do this so as not to squander such a rare opportunity. The best part is that I have been able to hone in on a color that is special AND personal to me for a couple of reasons, and I think I've found it in one of the two slate greys. Problem is I have no clue how I'll see this again in person during THIS week, or figure this paint code-thing out without the help of a PTS Guru.

WWED? Perhaps I could use this now like the Bat-signal so I can summon the 'Color Boss' to swoop down from above and assuage my PTS fears! Seriously Eduardo, if you are out there, one of your recent replies really stuck with me and this is why I'm compelled to take advantage and make this a special order. This car will replace my Aqua Blue R and I will keep it long term. BTW I still have that amazing red interior of your Spyder as one of my screen savers for 2+ years now I would be honored if you would also give us your thoughts on aetna and ocean jade for the gt4!

I've read and re-read the PTS banter on the gt3 forums until my eyes are bleeding. I read about the Slate Grey where one buyer is leaving up to his SA who is trusted to have max knowledge and passion for 'this' color, but which one is which!? The buyer says 'we'll see at delivery'... NO WAY I can I leave this to chance! I've tried to do my own research on the forums but I need help to nail down the code for THIS exact color that I once saw in person and never forgot:

Suzy991 said it was one code and then the other and now I think the consensus is back to the first again. Since this was left kind of open ended, has anyone figured this out yet? Is it Y97 or 615?

I appreciate all of you guys that tolerate my occasional rambling posts! Obviously this is a big deal for me as I'm not fortunate to be buying Pcars in pairs for every new model year and this is huge for me. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me out here. I'll be calling on Atlanta starting tomorrow to see what they can do over the phone and with pictures, and if there's any further interest in this color I'll follow up with what I can learn from here.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:51 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My recent post above

Whoops! I posted here instead of where I was in the gt4 area so some of the above may be rambling. I'll leave it here unless you guys are tired of the slate grey color code debate. If someone has new info please let me know since I'm lurking here daily trying to soak up all the PTS knowledge that I can. Lots of good colors being chosen over here!
Old 06-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Slate Grey'...

Originally Posted by number 9
The best part is that I have been able to hone in on a color that is special AND personal to me for a couple of reasons, and I think I've found it in one of the two slate greys. Problem is I have no clue how I'll see this again in person during THIS week, or figure this paint code-thing out without the help of a PTS Guru.
That is good when you have boiled it down to two shades of the same basic color - 'Slate Grey'.

WWED? Perhaps I could use this now like the Bat-signal so I can summon the 'Color Boss' to swoop down from above and assuage my PTS fears! Seriously Eduardo, if you are out there, one of your recent replies really stuck with me and this is why I'm compelled to take advantage and make this a special order. This car will replace my Aqua Blue R and I will keep it long term. BTW I still have that amazing red interior of your Spyder as one of my screen savers for 2+ years now I would be honored if you would also give us your thoughts on aetna and ocean jade for the gt4!
I thought you had narrowed down to 'Slate Grey'? In any case, my thoughts on 'Aetna Blau' and 'Ocean Jade'. Color is such a personal matter that it's like asking others if your wife is pretty enough for you to marry her. But here it goes, for what it's worth.

'Ocean Jade' would not be my choice because in general I don't like metallics for these gt vehicles.

'Aetna Blau' is from the MY1960 356B era and a delightful color. It's very elegant and would have better re-sale value than 'Ocean Jade'!

I've read and re-read the PTS banter on the gt3 forums until my eyes are bleeding. I read about the Slate Grey where one buyer is leaving up to his SA who is trusted to have max knowledge and passion for 'this' color, but which one is which!? The buyer says 'we'll see at delivery'... NO WAY I can I leave this to chance! I've tried to do my own research on the forums but I need help to nail down the code for THIS exact color that I once saw in person and never forgot:

Suzy991 said it was one code and then the other and now I think the consensus is back to the first again. Since this was left kind of open ended, has anyone figured this out yet? Is it Y97 or 615?

I tend to believe that Suzy's original information was correct - that the color of that Geneva showcar was Y97 'Slate Grey'! Here is how the other approved 'Slate Grey', color code 615, looks like:

If you can get 'Porsche Exclusive' in the United States or Germany to settle that question for us and show us the difference between the two 'Slate Grey' colors you would be doing all of us a favor!

I'll be calling on Atlanta starting tomorrow to see what they can do over the phone and with pictures, and if there's any further interest in this color I'll follow up with what I can learn from here.
I'll be interested to hear what they tell you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Hood Canal, WA
Old 06-28-2015, 04:01 PM
GianiCakes
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Aetna blue is a fantastic colour but I think it needs a clean shape to work best. The RS has too many contrasting scoops and slats.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Eduardo, are there different paint codes for signal yellow over the years? The colour I had mixed was RAL 1003 so perhaps not the same as what Porsche used/uses. I saw a targa today and it is much oranger than the paint I have. Perhaps some difference due to newer water based paints?

Old 06-28-2015, 05:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default re: 'Signal Yellow', color code 114...

Originally Posted by Loess
Eduardo, are there different paint codes for signal yellow over the years? The colour I had mixed was RAL 1003 so perhaps not the same as what Porsche used/uses.

I saw a targa today and it is much oranger than the paint I have. Perhaps some difference due to newer water based paints?

Loess: Remember that the Targa in your photo is a modern repaint at a restoration shop today. Who knows what was the exact formula they used in coming up with their 'Signal Yellow' color or what 'primer' color is underneath! 'Signal Yellow' is very sensitive to the exact primer you use as a base undercoat!

By the way, was the car you photographed the CPR 'Classic Restoration' 1973 1/2 911T that I also shot a couple of years ago while in progress? It's looks familiar!

No, I believe the paint code at Porsche for 'Signal Yellow' has always stayed the same - 114. But the formula has been adapted to be compatible with water based paint & a 'clear' top coat to TRY to achieve the same color as the original early 911 hue. Part of what gave 'Signal Yellow' its original glow was the 'lead' content! That is now 'verboten'.

All I can tell you is that the old 'lead-content' 'Signal Yellow' paint is almost impossible to touch up. I learned that the hard way and it was an expensive lesson!

I have not seen a modern version of 'Signal Yellow' in person. Just the photos of the McKenna C4S:

...and the gt3 that landed somewhere in Colorado. You can see that it has maintain a bit of that 'glow', so PAG is doing something right to get 'Signal Yellow' to look like the original! In fact, McKenna refused to admit that its C4S PTS color was 'Signal Yellow'. They referred to it as 'Signal Orange' because it does quite a bit of orange glow to it. Of course, 'Signal Orange' has not been approved for PTS at PAG today...but that didn't stop McKenna from calling it by the wrong name!

Would love to see one of the current PTS 'Signal Yellow' 991/981 in person to see how it looks in reality!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Hood Canal, WA
Old 06-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks. Sorry I don't have any other information on the car other than it's a 1973. It's at the dealer for sale though if you're missing your old car (130k CAD).

Quick Reply: Reference Guide to PTS